Minneapolis is Burning

F250

so, i mean, i think you know the answer to your question has to do with the badge the cop wore and his skin color while murdering an unarmed nonviolent black person on the ground already in handcuffs.

And the funny thing is he could easily be arrested for smaller charges while the murder charges are pending and all of this could have been avoided.

Guest Lobo
43 minutes ago, Smax said:

You did not inform me of anything I wasnt already aware of .....

Seriously man why do you think you are the only person who pays attention to things, especially UT related subjects. Subjects that had multi paged thread about on this very fucking site

I glossed over the last part of your crazy lamentations.  What does Kapernick have to do with UT now?  What the fuck are you attempting to falsely connect?  Don't you have an animal crime to commit or something today?  

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The hypocrisy there extends beyond black/white or rich/poor.

A grand jury is rarely to never "fed" the exculpatory evidence, just the inculpatory evidence.  The rest can be sorted out at trial.

I argued with a colleague that the American system of having a DA responsible for bringing charges/prosecuting cops that he so clearly depends upon to bring cases to his  office is a massive conflict of interest and there should be a sort of "internal affairs" independent branch of the govt who is responsible for keeping cops in line and investigating/charging/prosecuting cops. To me that's a major flaw in the American system. 

As a lawyer what's your take on it?

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

Please don’t play dumb.

You NEVER exude this energy towards the Johnny Sacks of this site when they post their right wing garbage and the fact that the president of the United States has publicly called for the murder of protesters blows any bullshittery about removing politics from this discussion out of the water.

Everything is political in 2020 because our president makes it so and you know it - you just don’t want to be bothered .

Anyway, enjoy this new hot single from Taylor Swift.

I've found you to be a reasonable poster, BamaChick. Please know that this post, pointed at this particular person, is way off. I say that respectfully, and this doesn't need to turn into an "is not! is to!" conversation, but it's just way, way off.

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

We may not fail altogether, but we've been declining since 9/11.  Since then, we've pursued a bullshit war for profit in Iraq, alienating all of our allies, then rebuilt those alliances, only to see the biggest mistake we've ever elected shred them again.  Also since 9/11 (and before, but worse since), we've allowed our educational system to deteriorate while every other industrialized nation bolstered theirs.  And we've allowed Fox News and the Religious Right to assemble a cult of about a hundred million idiots, ensuring that they continue to have enough numbers in enough places for Congress to grease the skids for Corporate America and further enrich the top 1-5%.

This is the end game of capitalism: a very small and very wealthy elite, a huge and marginalized working class that grows poorer by the day, and a vanishing middle class in between.  History has shown over and over what comes next.  It might or might not be in our lifetime, but a reckoning is coming.

Since 9/11? You're missing a solid 8 years of destruction.

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

Since 9/11? You're missing a solid 8 years of destruction.

Well, actually I'd say our decline started with the end of the Cold War.  The Soviets drove us to greatness in astronomy, technology, and other fields.  Once we no longer had the Soviets to stay in front of, it started going downhill.  But yes, I do believe that 9/11 and our response really ratcheted things up.  Or down, I guess.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Well, actually I'd say our decline started with the end of the Cold War.  The Soviets drove us to greatness in astronomy, technology, and other fields.  Once we no longer had the Soviets to stay in front of, it started going downhill.  But yes, I do believe that 9/11 and our response really ratcheted things up.  Or down, I guess.

It's a credit cycle as well as a 4th generational turning.  We have experienced them b4.  US Revolutionary War, Civil War, and WW2.  The next 10-15 years are going to be rough, but once the debt is cleared, we will see good times again.  Advice:  Own your house, learn a trade, produce your own food.

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

reading the same:

It's all staged.  They are playing right vs left, black vs white, blah blah....  This is how it's done.  Now the surveillance state kicks into high gear.  Look at who is pulling the strings.  Don't burn your neighbors house or business to the ground.  Look at the .0001% who own the central banks.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

There are always drones flying over the US. 

oh, well, nothing to see here then. guess it's not weird that one is circling over a city currently burning to the ground from riots while a rogue administration destroys our country from within. didn't know that was normal

• Like 2

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

oh, well, nothing to see here then. guess it's not weird that one is circling over a city currently burning to the ground from riots while a rogue administration destroys our country from within. didn't know that was normal

Well is it an armed drone or a standard recon drone? I can see where the national guard wants eyes in the sky for tonight and don't see that as too different than a police helicopter. If it's armed then of course thats a completely different story.

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

nails it in the last sentence.

It's always the the poorest who pay the usury.  Who pays the interest?  These people need to understand finance and how our monetary system enslaves them.  Inflation is theft.  Interest paid on government debt is theft. 

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Stephen Miller, thinking of the prospect of US forces opening fire on minorities in the coming days:

sfvEvQn.gif

Just now, 4th&Five said:

the rest are minority sympathizers...same thing to them.

Well, they are certainly refusing to bend the knee to the authorities, and as Miller unabashedly said, the authority of the president (and presumably all officials with any power) "will not be questioned."  And also, to folks like him, there's not a lick of difference between an "uppity N-word" and an "uppity N-word-lover."

14 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Its not normal but it's common. Shits been going on for nearly 20 years.

Yeah, had to look that one up.  The wiki.

Minnesota[edit]

Minnesota law originally defined third-degree murder solely as depraved-heart murder ("without intent to effect the death of any person, caus[ing] the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life").[7][8] In 1987, an additional drug-related provision ("without intent to cause death, proximately caus[ing] the death of a human being by, directly or indirectly, unlawfully selling, giving away, bartering, delivering, exchanging, distributing, or administering a controlled substance classified in Schedule I or II") was added to the definition of third-degree murder.[7][9] Up until the early 2000s, prosecutions under that provision were rare, but they began to rise in the 2010s. Some reports linked this increase in prosecutions to the opioid epidemic in the United States.[10]

Minnesota law also defines the crime of third-degree murder of an unborn child, with the same elements of depraved mind and lack of intent to kill distinguishing it from first- or second-degree murder of an unborn child.[11][12] Both third-degree murder and third-degree murder of an unborn child are punishable by a maximum of 25 years' imprisonment.[7][12] On 29 May 2020, ex-police officer Derek Chauvin was arrested and charged with third degree murder in the death of an African American George Floyd in Minneapolis. [13]

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

I argued with a colleague that the American system of having a DA responsible for bringing charges/prosecuting cops that he so clearly depends upon to bring cases to his  office is a massive conflict of interest and there should be a sort of "internal affairs" independent branch of the govt who is responsible for keeping cops in line and investigating/charging/prosecuting cops. To me that's a major flaw in the American system. 

As a lawyer what's your take on it?

I think you are right.

The DA really is a separate entity and should consider itself so and be considered such.  But the reality is not that.  Not only are they dependent on one another, they become pretty monolithic in their mindset.

So yeah, there ought to be special prosecutors brought in for every potential criminal incident involving a cop perpetrator.  There is a Public Integrity Unit for other politically involved prosecutions and its reach ought to extend to cop crimes, as well.

I can barely read crime fiction/police procedurals (Harry Bosch, Dave Robicheaux) without getting pissed anymore.  And James Lee Burke writes Robicheaux liberal as fuck in every aspect except crime and punishment.

Edited by TwiceHorn

9 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Third degree murder.

A fucking joke.

Actually, based on the statutes, it's probably the correct charge.  An argument could be made for second degree murder, but the standard for third degree most accurately fits these circumstances.  A summary of the statute, in lay language:

Third-degree murder is often charged as a depraved heart or mind crime. This charge can arise when a person fires a gun in a crowd without intending to kill anyone, for example. Murder is charged when a person is killed and the defendant has an indifference to the sanctity of human life. 

It carries up to a 25 year sentence, so it's not a light charge.  That said, the argument to be made for a second degree murder charge was the cop continuing to keep the knee on him when he was informed by both the victim and observers that he was killing Mr. Floyd.  At that moment, his state of mind and intent changed, and it became second degree murder.  I'm just observing that when the jury has to adjudicate someone's subjective state of mind, that's a tougher prosecution.  It would be much easier to get a conviction on a third degree charge.  It might even be a slamdunk, if the autopsy confirms that the death was caused or materially contributed to by Chauvin's actions.

• Like 2