Minneapolis is Burning

F250

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Ha!  I actually used the "eggshell skull" analogy above!

It’s not relevant, right? It doesn’t matter for liability that the victim was unusually fragile?  

For some reason, I recall this was a torts issue. So there’s probably some criminal mitigating circumstance that comes into play.

6 minutes ago, RPM said:

Let's hope it stays that way. Houston catches fire all by itself.

Update. 

At least 25 HPD cars with lights and sirens going drove by.  I could hear fire trucks but did not see any.  I'm about 3 blocks from city hall.

11 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Minnesota - Defendant's act was a substantial factor in causing the death. 

If not for the cop's acts that day, does he die when he did. 

Those poor officers. They were just there trying to do their jobs when Floyd's bad heart finally decided to give out. Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time!

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

It’s not relevant, right? It doesn’t matter for liability that the victim was unusually fragile?  

For some reason, I recall this was a torts issue. So there’s probably some criminal mitigating circumstance that comes into play.

It's been a long time since I took crim law.  But I think it only matters as to the killer's intent.  So, if he meant to only hug Floyd, that Floyd died of some underlying condition would be relevant.  He has his knee on his carotid for 9 minutes while Floyd asks to be able to breathe, well, the underlying conditions don't mean a damn thing.  He either intended to kill Floyd or at least acted with "depraved heart" and Floyd died as a result.

The breaking point is hopefully upon us. America has had a good run, but nothing lasts forever. 
We'll know within the next 5 months if we're willing to rebuild this country or let it fall into absolute ruin for a least a couple of generations. 
This is righteous anger. Let it all out. 

It sure feels like it. We are headed to developing nation levels of inequality and corruption.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

The police chief has nothing to do with the man being killed this week.

The man in charge of the police has nothing to do with allowing officers to continue to police the streets even though they have a history of being a shitty cop?

• Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I would think in the criminal context, it could be relevant as to intent.

Say that I conked you over the head with a blow from the nightstick of normal force -- something nobody would intend or expect to cause serious bodily injury.  But because you have an eggshell skull, it kills you.  That was an unintended, unforeseen consequence, so it goes to my mental state, which is relevant to the level of criminal charge.

BUT, if I KNEW that you had an eggshell skull, and hit you over the head with force that I reasonably believed would be enough to penetrate your skull, then my knowledge is relevant to my intent.

Like in this case.  Maybe Chauvin was just being reckless when he first put his knee on Floyd's neck.  BUT, once he was informed that it was causing serious bodily injury (again, by both the victim and observers), and he chose to CONTINUE the harmful action....that's intent.

• Like 1

News choppers, cops, and amateur videographers all over DT Houston right now

Print more cops and documenters/observers than actual protestors

9c67b816fd85034d7f85792178c0caad.jpg

Going to block the ramp to 45 to prevent people from going up there

8ac4f7f6c5a49941f83c6b92bc4dd20c.jpg

3 minutes ago, Alvin89 said:

The man in charge of the police has nothing to do with allowing officers to continue to police the streets even though they have a history of being a shitty cop?

That would be an question for his predecessors from before Summer 2017, when the current black police chief took over.

Edited by StassneyHorn

10 minutes ago, Alvin89 said:

Actually, he often doesn't.   The contract -- strong-armed by the police union -- governs.  And they almost always tie the hell out of the hands of senior police officials.  The police unions -- supported by public sentiment that you are I am sure VERY familiar with ("I BACK THE BLUE! I STAND WITH OUR HERO POLICE!") -- have regularly secured contracts that make them all but untouchable by disciplinary process.  And they can, because they have us over the barrel -- their option is to go on strike, and leave a city with no protection at all.

We have let the fox guard the henhouse, and after not very much time, the fox starts doing fox things.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 4

Big city fire departments and police departments are usually led by whatever Alphabet minority group can get in power, with the rest of the department being made up of mostly your suburb dwelling stereotypical mans man types. There’s a reason Republicans advocate getting rid of pensions for government employees, except for firefighters and cops.

20 minutes ago, elfenix said:

News choppers, cops, and amateur videographers all over DT Houston right now

Print more cops and documenters/observers than actual protestors

9c67b816fd85034d7f85792178c0caad.jpg

Going to block the ramp to 45 to prevent people from going up there

8ac4f7f6c5a49941f83c6b92bc4dd20c.jpg

TV shows that a fair amount of the protest is on the other side of 45.

5 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Big city fire departments and police departments are usually led by whatever Alphabet minority group can get in power, with the rest of the department being made up of mostly your suburb dwelling stereotypical mans man types. There’s a reason Republicans advocate getting rid of pensions for government employees, except for firefighters and cops.

So democrats are against pensions for firefighters and cops? 

• Fuck You 19

Just now, Alvin89 said:

No, because they've been roped into the message you love -- "I'M TOUGH ON CRIME!  I BACK THE BLUE!"  The rot starts with WE THE PEOPLE.  That's the point.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Actually, he often doesn't.   The contract -- strong-armed by the police union -- governs.  And they almost always tie the hell out of the hands of senior police officials.  The police unions -- supported by public sentiment that you are I am sure VERY familiar with ("I BACK THE BLUE! I STAND WITH OUR HERO POLICE!") -- have regularly secured contracts that make them all but untouchable by disciplinary process.  And they can, because they have us over the barrel -- their option is to go on strike, and leave a city with no protection at all.

We have let the fox guard the henhouse, and after not very much time, the fox starts doing fox things.

That's a very good point about the unions, we often forget about that. Can the mayor or city councils over rule the police unions?

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:
5 minutes ago, Alvin89 said:

Damn you really are illiterate. I'd tell you to go back to texags but you wouldn't be able to read it.

Good for you

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No, because they've been roped into the message you love -- "I'M TOUGH ON CRIME!  I BACK THE BLUE!"  The rot starts with WE THE PEOPLE.  That's the point.

Who says I love that message? Fuck you. That cop murdered that guy and should be held accountable.

1 minute ago, Alvin89 said:

That's a very good point about the unions, we often forget about that. Can the mayor or city councils over rule the police unions?

Generally speaking: NOPE.  Not until the contract is up for renewal.  At which point the cops will whip up your base (you and your pals), accuse the city council of hating cops, and being namby pamby crime-enabling sissies, and they don't BACK THE BLUE, and this is just BLACK LIVES MATTER terrorists running the show....and they cave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

COLIN KAEPERNICK IS JUST A GRIFTER RABBLE RABBLE

Shared by his gf of course. 

Kaep’s motives have been questioned at various points by people of different races. I wouldn’t call him a grifter, but he has seemed to maximize the financial benefit to himself of his protest without a ton actually being accomplished unless I’m mistaken. Props to him. 

• Fuck You 3

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Generally speaking: NOPE.  Not until the contract is up for renewal.  At which point the cops will whip up your base (you and your pals), accuse the city council of hating cops, and being namby pamby crime-enabling sissies, and they don't BACK THE BLUE, and this is just BLACK LIVES MATTER terrorists running the show....and they cave.

So a democratic city council and mayor which most major cities have will cave to a group that would not vote for them in the first place because why?

• Fuck You 11

So for someone uninformed here, who are the AA community leaders that are actually planning protests or strategizing to help make changes a reality? I know there’s no MLK, but who’s going to Birmingham (Minneapolis) to help lead these people? We’re all tired of seeing this. I just hope for this movement’s sake that there’s people more effective/credible than Kaep or Shaun King or something similar. 

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Where are all the gun toting white supremacist "open up" protestors at now? Why aren't they still out there because their favorite bar can only have 25 Percent capacity? I thought they wanted confrontation?

Exactly. Whenever those idiot gun toting trumpers says they are ready for a war, I think of scenes like this and realize they have no chance. They run and hide like cowards whenever it gets real. All hat and no cattle, as they say. 

58 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

d4725492db1105f660d001928d81d124.jpg

Here is the gruesome video showing three officers holding him down, don't have audio on unless you want to hear some of his last words/pleadings.   

8 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Shared by his gf of course. 

Kaep’s motives have been questioned at various points by people of different races. I wouldn’t call him a grifter, but he has seemed to maximize the financial benefit to himself of his protest without a ton actually being accomplished unless I’m mistaken. Props to him. 

So basically you have no idea what he’s been doing.  Got it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

So basically you have no idea what he’s been doing.  Got it. 

I know he says he wants to play football and talks about how he’s being oppressed and kept out of the NFL then handles his tryout like he doesn’t really wanna play.  

• Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

So for someone uninformed here, who are the AA community leaders that are actually planning protests or strategizing to help make changes a reality? I know there’s no MLK, but who’s going to Birmingham (Minneapolis) to help lead these people? We’re all tired of seeing this. I just hope for this movement’s sake that there’s people more effective/credible than Kaep or Shaun King or something similar. 

Once again, you clearly are informing this board that you have no clue.  Using Kaepernick in the same sentence as Shaun King proves that point.  The fact that you equate the 2 shows you don’t two shits about what’s going on.

Good job, keep it up. 

• Like 3

Just now, Pancho said:

Once again, you clearly are informing this board that you have no clue.  Using Kaepernick in the same sentence as Shaun King proves that point.  The fact that you equate the 2 shows you don’t two shits about what’s going on.

Good job, keep it up. 

Thanks for answering my question. They’re probably the two most well known activists to the average white guy, like myself.  That’s why I’m asking. 

• Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

It doesn't matter.  No matter who sticks their head up to do anything, you and yours will 1) shit all over him, smear him into oblivion, and 2) ask why he isn't focusing more on black-on-black crime more.

And don't wave MLK around, you hypocritical fuckers.  Just don't.  Your "team" in this culture fucking HATED MLK, and would hate him if he were alive today. 

In the years leading up to his assassination, the preacher and civil rights activist was less popular than ever. A 1966 Gallup poll found that almost two-thirds of Americans had an unfavorable opinion of Dr. King and a third had a positive opinion, a 26 point unfavorable rate increase from 1963.

You fuckers hated him then.  You would hate him now, because he pissed you off, he challenged the existing power structure, and he spoke hard truth.

No black leader would be satisfactory to you.  Not one.

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Good job, keep it up. 

I actually stated I was uninformed you jackass. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

MLK was routinely criticized and tore down by politicians of his time when he was still alive.  After his murder, and when his name became a day off from work he became much palatable for people to agree with.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It doesn't matter.  No matter who sticks their head up to do anything, you and yours will 1) shit all over him, smear him into oblivion, and 2) ask why he isn't focusing more on black-on-black crime more.

And don't wave MLK around, you hypocritical fuckers.  Just don't.  Your "team" in this culture fucking HATED MLK, and would hate him if he were alive today. 

You fuckers hated him then.  You would hate him now, because he pissed you off, he challenged the existing power structure, and he spoke hard truth.

No black leader would be satisfactory to you.  Not one.

Tim Scott, Ben Carson, Michael Steele, Clarence Thomas, Allen West, Mia Love.

• Fuck You 10