Minneapolis is Burning

F250

22 minutes ago, Alvin89 said:

So a democratic city council and mayor which most major cities have will cave to a group that would not vote for them in the first place because why?

Public safety.  

I don’t want to put you on ignore cause I don’t want to pass up a chance to share info to someone who may be legitimately curious about big city PD and FD, but you are detracting from the conversation by responding with disagreeable concerns. I’ll admit I only have this insight because I was in an AFD class for 4 months with guys that were moving here from Houston FD that educated the shit out of us before I left.and that’s enough self doxxing

16 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Thanks for answering my question. They’re probably the two most well known activists to the average white guy, like myself.  That’s why I’m asking. 

Kaepernick has done a shit ton for Blacks and especially Black men.  He is celebrated because of his positive causes to help Blacks/Black men be more informed of their rights and how to survive police stops.  You should research his causes and the groups he has created instead of just assuming. 

Then, you need to research Shaun King who DOES NOT speak for Blacks and the Black cause, and Black people will tell you how much of a fraud he is and how he uses race, racism, events like what’s happening now, and other things to raise money for shit no one can seem to figure out.  Shaun King is a fraud and its well known.  So no, Blacks do not look to him for anything so you should stop assuming that. 

Shaun King wishes he had 1% of the influence Kaepernick has. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

So for someone uninformed here, who are the AA community leaders that are actually planning protests or strategizing to help make changes a reality? I know there’s no MLK, but who’s going to Birmingham (Minneapolis) to help lead these people? We’re all tired of seeing this. I just hope for this movement’s sake that there’s people more effective/credible than Kaep or Shaun King or something similar. 

You people didn’t even like MLK.  So stop. 

7 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Guys the US isn't breaking up. That would require too much effort to put into place. 

reminds me of one of my favorite Onion articles ever, from 2000.

South Postpones Rising Again For Yet Another Year

HUNTSVILLE, AL–For the 135th straight year since Gen. Robert E. Lee's surrender at Appomattox, representatives for the South announced Monday that the region has postponed plans to rise again.

"Make no mistake, the South shall rise again," said Knox Pritchard, president of the Huntsville-based Alliance Of Confederate States. "But we're just not quite ready to do it now. Hopefully, we'll be able to rise again real soon, maybe even in 2001."

https://www.theonion.com/south-postpones-rising-again-for-yet-another-year-1819565548

8 minutes ago, Pancho said:

You people didn’t even like MLK.  So stop. 

I was born long after MLK was dead. 

13 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Kaepernick has done a shit ton for Blacks and especially Black men.  He is celebrated because of his positive causes to help Blacks/Black men be more informed of their rights and how to survive police stops.  You should research his causes and the groups he has created instead of just assuming. 

Then, you need to research Shaun King who DOES NOT speak for Blacks and the Black cause, and Black people will tell you how much of a fraud he is and how he uses race, racism, events like what’s happening now, and other things to raise money for shit no one can seem to figure out.  Shaun King is a fraud and its well known.  So no, Blacks do not look to him for anything so you should stop assuming that. 

Shaun King wishes he had 1% of the influence Kaepernick has. 

So I just looked you’re talking about the Know Your Rights Camp? Ok. That’s great.  

Still, my initial question was who are the community leaders actually organizing and moving this forward? Of course they don’t require my approval. It just seems like now is a moment when positive momentum could really get moving and there’s no one, that I can see, to advance it. 

Is it Kaep? I checked and all I’ve seen is a tweet encouraging revolt, resisting cries of peace and creating a fund to pay legal bills.   I question how much of an impact those things will have. To me that’s a waste if he truly has the biggest platform. 

Btw we’re actually on the same side. I’m against police brutality. Try to look at my posts through that lens. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Btw we’re actually on the same side. I’m against police brutality. Try to look at my posts through that lens. 

No we're not.  No black leader who actually speaks truth to power and stands up for the shat-upon will be good enough for you and yours.  They never are.  They weren't when it was MLK, they won't be now.  "I mean, sure, that guy may make a decent point every now and then, but I just can't put my stock in a guy who lied to his teacher one time in 3rd grade, and got in a fight on the playground in 4th grade.  Why can't black people find a leader who isn't a dishonest thug?  And how come he's not doing anything to stop black-on-black violence?  That's the real problem [NOTE --  pretty much every one of the folks criticized for that "weakness" actually does do a metric shitton in that respect, the critics just don't bother to look]."

No black leader who dares to stand up for his people is good enough.  None.  Never.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

So I just looked you’re talking about the Know Your Rights Camp? Ok. That’s great.  

Still, my initial question was who are the community leaders actually organizing and moving this forward? Of course they don’t require my approval. It just seems like now is a moment when positive momentum could really get moving and there’s no one, that I can see, to advance it. 

Is it Kaep? I checked and all I’ve seen is a tweet encouraging revolt, resisting cries of peace and creating a fund to pay legal bills.   I question how much of an impact those things will have. To me that’s a waste if he truly has the biggest platform. 

No. You may look at this instance and think it’s outrageous. The problem is that it isn’t. It’s consistent. It’s been consistent for black people since this country started. And people you consistently support, work everyday to uphold the systemic oppression and unequal treatment under the law. Take your bullshit platitudes and fuck off.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

This reminds me of the whisper campaign Clintonworld deployed against Obama in 2008. Like, a lot. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

My skepticism runs high on this one, and not just because it's a story posted on the website of a garbage media outlet, but I'm curious if anyone has seen any credible reports that the cop and Mr. Floyd knew each other and had worked security together at the same bar:

I feel dirty just for posting it

https://kstp.com/news/george-floyd-fired-officer-overlapped-security-shifts-at-south-minneapolis-club-may-28-2020/5743990/

"Chauvin was our off-duty police for almost the entirety of the 17 years that we were open," Santamaria said. "They were working together at the same time, it's just that Chauvin worked outside and the security guards were inside."

Although the two overlapped working security on popular music nights within the last year, Santamaria can not say for certain they knew each other because there were often a couple dozen security guards, including off-duty officers.

The owner confirmed that they were both employed by the club at one point, but how much interaction there was between the two of them, is unknown -- though it sounds like there may not have been much, if any. 

Edited by ultimaton
86'd dumb speculation

1 hour ago, Alvin89 said:

Who says I love that message? Fuck you. That cop murdered that guy and should be held accountable.

*spends literally every post in this thread putting words in other posters’ mouths

”WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE TO SAY I SAID THAT THING I DIDN’T SAY?!?!!!?!”

You’ve somehow managed to steal the crown for dumbest poster on Surly from GR in like two days. Truly, none of us thought it could be done. Certainly not that quickly. Congrats.

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Shared by his gf of course. 

Kaep’s motives have been questioned at various points by people of different races. I wouldn’t call him a grifter, but he has seemed to maximize the financial benefit to himself of his protest without a ton actually being accomplished unless I’m mistaken. Props to him. 

If all he was concerned about was his financial well being he would have shut up and played football.  

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Thanks for answering my question. They’re probably the two most well known activists to the average white guy, like myself.  That’s why I’m asking. 

Did it occur to you that maybe there are scores of black leaders all over the U.S. doing everything possible to help, every day?  Maybe so low key you don't really notice?  

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

So for someone uninformed here, who are the AA community leaders that are actually planning protests or strategizing to help make changes a reality? I know there’s no MLK, but who’s going to Birmingham (Minneapolis) to help lead these people? We’re all tired of seeing this. I just hope for this movement’s sake that there’s people more effective/credible than Kaep or Shaun King or something similar. 

18 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

If all he was concerned about was his financial well being he would have shut up and played football.  

He’s made more outside of football since his retirement I believe. 

13 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Did it occur to you that maybe there are scores of black leaders all over the U.S. doing everything possible to help, every day?  Maybe so low key you don't really notice?  

I’m sure there are. I was asking about those on a national level. 

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

No. You may look at this instance and think it’s outrageous. The problem is that it isn’t. It’s consistent. It’s been consistent for black people since this country started. And people you consistently support, work everyday to uphold the systemic oppression and unequal treatment under the law. Take your bullshit platitudes and fuck off.

I wouldn’t vote for any of the people running Minnesota. Why is it still a problem there?

If they aren’t featured on Fox, he hasn’t heard of them.
You gotta understand, these are folks who - unironically - think Candace Owens is a black thought leader.

Pretty sure [mention=332]Bama Chick[/mention] was Knox Pritchard's date to a mixer in college. 

Ew, no.

The KA I dated before my husband was named “Jimmy Lee Lastname” - and, no, I’m not kidding. Even the boys had double names.

And that Onion article using Huntsville as a byline is hilarious - the one place in the state that is modern and tolerant and highly educated.

Should’ve used Oneota or Beulah or Demopolis.
  • Like 1

Goddamn this is powerful. Please watch. 

Yep
Who said, "Where are the black activists?"  There she is.  

Yep.
We have no right to decry violence until we actually act to stop it. We have no right to condemn lawlessness until we act to stop it being committed by our own employees.
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 1:06 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Eh, fuck off with that. You know what finally brought about change to the LAPD? Massive rioting. 

As has been noted upthread, violent resistance is the basis on which America and Texas were founded...The tree of liberty is watered with the blood of patriots, as Jefferson memorably noted. 

Like a great many people do these days, I misquoted ol' TJ last night. Here is what he actually said:

For context -- this is a 1787 letter to William Stephens Smith, the son-in-law of John Adams, written in the aftermath of the Shays Rebellion

I do not know whether it is to yourself or Mr. Adams I am to give my thanks for the copy of the new constitution. I beg leave through you to place them where due. It will be yet three weeks before I shall receive them from America. There are very good articles in it: and very bad. I do not know which preponderate. What we have lately read in the history of Holland, in the chapter on the Stadtholder, would have sufficed to set me against a Chief magistrate eligible for a long duration, if I had ever been disposed towards one: and what we have always read of the elections of Polish kings should have forever excluded the idea of one continuable for life. Wonderful is the effect of impudent and persevering lying. The British ministry have so long hired their gazetteers to repeat and model into every form lies about our being in anarchy, that the world has at length believed them, the English nation has believed them, the ministers themselves have come to believe them, and what is more wonderful, we have believed them ourselves. Yet where does this anarchy exist? Where did it ever exist, except in the single instance of Massachusets? And can history produce an instance of a rebellion so honourably conducted? I say nothing of it’s motives. They were founded in ignorance, not wickedness. God forbid we should ever be 20. years without such a rebellion.1 The people can not be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. We have had 13. states independant 11. years. There has been one rebellion. That comes to one rebellion in a century and a half for each state. What country before ever existed a century and half without a rebellion? And what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure. Our Convention has been too much impressed by the insurrection of Massachusets: and in the spur of the moment they are setting up a kite to keep the hen yard in order. I hope in god this article will be rectified before the new constitution is accepted.2

Somehow it seems the "and tyrants" part has been trimmed from the most popular versions of that quote, implying that only patriots would die in these uprisings. 

20 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Who said, "Where are the black activists?"  There she is.  

Yes. They need someone who can speak and inspire people. Maybe it’s just less common in the social media era to be able to verbally motivate people like that. 

Great way to handle this as a Chief.

Badass.
So many folks don’t realize that the first and most important step towards peace/resolution is for people to feel (and actually be) listened to and heard.
For real, if you have ever done mediation training, it’s one of the fundamental principles of conflict resolution. And it actually does build a path to resolution.
When minorities in this country speak out, kneel, etc, imagine how much better off we’d be if we said “tell me what’s on your mind” and actually listened the first time. Instead of saying “shut up and play ball?”
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Um...WHAT?!

You're a page or so behind. Cop worked off duty security inside the club, Floyd worked outside. It was a big club, they worked different areas. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Badass.
So many folks don’t realize that the first and most important step towards peace/resolution is for people to feel (and actually be) listened to and heard.
For real, if you have ever done mediation training, it’s one of the fundamental principles of conflict resolution. And it actually does build a path to resolution.
When minorities in this country speak out, kneel, etc, imagine how much better off we’d be if we said “tell me what’s on your mind” and actually listened the first time. Instead of saying “shut up and play ball?”

I've just become so cynical that I see these only as photo ops to calm things down just long enough to stop the property damage. Then once the fires are out, it's right back to normal. 

Listening seasons and hand holding sessions aren't going to break up and destroy police unions, or force us to completely dismantle and rebuild our concept of law enforcement in this country.