Minneapolis is Burning

F250

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

So, uh, who is ready for the battle at the White House tonight?

“Protest peacefully and you’ll be heard.” LOL!!! No, you’ll get mocked. There is literally no hope. Burn it all down.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I appreciate Killer Mikes words, but from where I’m sitting, it seems organizing, mobilizing, and voting hasn’t worked. In fact it seems to me that when black people are heard or obtain even an ounce of power, the revolt from the majority whites come down tenfold on their interests. We elected a black man president and their response was to elect a literal racist (among everything else he is) as an immediate replacement. I hope calm prevails but I get the anger and hopelessness that burning shit to the ground is the only outlet to have anger not only heard but seen.

The only way this changes is if we get our of the mindset that this is a black vs white issue and realize it needs to be a black AND white vs. our inherently corrupt system issue.

As always, the true issue will get lost in the noise as the establishment reframes this into a criticism of black protests and rioting and stokes the us vs them mentality among citizens sitting safely at home watching on tv. It happens like clockwork every time. It's already happening again this time. 

White people and rich people and people in positions of authority can't just stand on the sideline and say "I support you guys, go get em". It has to be significantly more than that. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

MN AG Keith Ellison just on MSNBC calling for an investigation into possible outside agitators being responsible for the bulk of the violence and arson in Minneapolis.

Yeah did I hear correctly that while the number of arrests were low, they were all from out of state? 

5 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Yeah did I hear correctly that while the number of arrests were low, they were all from out of state? 

If so, I missed that part. He did bring up the curious locations of some of the businesses that were burned in relation to the actual protests and at least one previous protest that investigators determined discovered were escalated by outside agitators and white supremacists. 

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

So they lit a chick up with paintball guns while all the bystanders thought she got shot for real. Why don’t they have some tools that don’t look and sound like tactical weapons?

Or, I don't know, maybe try something other than force, like negotiation, appeasement?  

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

I appreciate Killer Mikes words, but from where I’m sitting, it seems organizing, mobilizing, and voting hasn’t worked. In fact it seems to me that when black people are heard or obtain even an ounce of power, the revolt from the majority whites come down tenfold on their interests. We elected a black man president and their response was to elect a literal racist (among everything else he is) as an immediate replacement. I hope calm prevails but I get the anger and hopelessness that burning shit to the ground is the only outlet to have anger not only heard but seen.

Tx 3 putt said it.  More blacks and poor need to vote.  But the accessibility to the vote needs to be protected at the very least, if not expanded.  A massive voter education is needed now since the red side keeps changing the rules on voting.  See Harris county last primary.   I wonder where all the hispanic Trump supporters stand on this?  

24 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Trump mentions in his tweet the protests at the WH were "professionally managed."  Think he knows something about what's going on in the rest of the country, but isn't saying?

Edited by pyrohornIII

Not sure if this has been posted-

"Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz says he suspects white supremacist groups and drug cartels are carrying out some of the violence in Minneapolis, but cannot confirm it at this time. 

Both Walz and Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington said at a press conference early Saturday morning they have do not have confirmed reports, but they have gotten intel from national sources that it is the case. 

Walz said the widespread riots across the country appear to be part of a coordinated effort by professionals."

https://www.fox9.com/news/walz-white-supremacist-groups-drug-cartels-suspected-at-minneapolis-riots-but-reports-still-unconfirmed

14 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Trump mentions in his tweet the protests at the WH were "professionally managed."  Think he knows something about what's going on in the rest of the country, but isn't saying?

Every accusation. 

2 hours ago, TornACL said:

I can't stress this enough. It has nothing to do with Trump. 

It has not been "brewing a while". The kettle has been overflowing for 50+ years. Rotten cops do not suddenly feel empowered because of Trump. They feel empowered because they have a corrupt police union which is strong and which protects them at all times, with the help of a legal and local political system that will protect cops at the expense of average citizens. 

And they can't "get away with a lot more shit" as of 2016. LISTEN CAREFULLY. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THIS WAY. 

It's important to know this, if there is any hope to fix it. 

I agree with all of this except that part about Trump being a nonfactor.   Lemonlime made my point more clearly.

1 hour ago, lemonlime said:

It's always been this way.  But trump added fuel to the fire. Both by pissing on minorities every day and emboldening cops.  Here's a pic that was posted on my local PD's PBA facebook page shortly after the election.

15109561_10154502881336140_1862141371625634827_n (1)

53 minutes ago, TornACL said:

The only way this changes is if we get our of the mindset that this is a black vs white issue and realize it needs to be a black AND white vs. our inherently corrupt system issue.

As always, the true issue will get lost in the noise as the establishment reframes this into a criticism of black protests and rioting and stokes the us vs them mentality among citizens sitting safely at home watching on tv. It happens like clockwork every time. It's already happening again this time. 

White people and rich people and people in positions of authority can't just stand on the sideline and say "I support you guys, go get em". It has to be significantly more than that. 

Again, I agree, but would amend this to include people of all races and genders.  Everyone against corruption.   

In your opinion, where does most of this division between white and black stem from?  Church?  Government?   Where has always been the base that anchors organizations like the KKK?    I only ask this to better understand the problem in order to start seeking solutions.   

17 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Not sure if this has been posted-

"Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz says he suspects white supremacist groups and drug cartels are carrying out some of the violence in Minneapolis, but cannot confirm it at this time. 

Both Walz and Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington said at a press conference early Saturday morning they have do not have confirmed reports, but they have gotten intel from national sources that it is the case. 

Walz said the widespread riots across the country appear to be part of a coordinated effort by professionals."

https://www.fox9.com/news/walz-white-supremacist-groups-drug-cartels-suspected-at-minneapolis-riots-but-reports-still-unconfirmed

Would not surprise me at all if it was uncovered this has all been planned for a while, only waiting for the event to set it off.    Someone's done some planning to use the drug mafia as mercenary looting inciters.  Not only this, but also those DeVoss (and others) backed Covid19 protests everywhere.  

Everyday I am more convinced he wants to go scorched earth on America so he can rebuild it as the biggest best Trump empire.  It's not like he hasn't said it more than once.

2 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Again, I agree, but would amend this to include people of all races and genders.  Everyone against corruption.   

In your opinion, where does most of this division between white and black stem from?  Church?  Government?   Where has always been the base that anchors organizations like the KKK?    I only ask this to better understand the problem in order to start seeking solutions.   

Yes, of course. Agreed. 

At the risk of putting it too simply, the division started at the very beginning. And hasn't changed.

Sure, crumbs have been tossed along the way, and at each step they were begged to be celebrated, as if the mission was accomplished. But those were just minor steps of progress or pure window dressing. 

There are a lot of people out there who will firmly believe that there is no racial inequality. Some will wrongly compare today to, say, 1968, and say well it's less horrible now. But comparing horrible to less horrible doesn't mean the problem went away or was solved. Some will just think that way because it's more comfortable, or in their best personal interests, to pretend everything is fine. 

• Like 1

That's because what he is calling for has never actually been done. Total accountability, not just window dressing.

What typically happens is a few heads will roll, maybe even a chief. But the command structure, along with the politicians who are supposed keep an eye on these things are still there. So until you organize and vote out the entire rot, nothing changes. The political rot just shuffles the deck and keeps doing business as usual. They will even have the audacity to speak out against the shit they helped create.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

That's because what he is calling for has never actually been done. Total accountability, not just window dressing.

What typically happens is a few heads will roll, maybe even a chief. But the command structure, along with the politicians who are supposed keep an eye on these things are still there. So until you organize and vote out the entire rot, nothing changes. The political rot just shuffles the deck and keeps doing business as usual. They will even have the audacity to speak out against the shit they helped create.

While I support unions, in some cases they need to be curtailed.  I agree with TornACL and others in thinking the unions play a huge part in this.  Same for some of the teachers' unions who won't allow any teachers to be fired, no matter how horrible they are as a person or teacher.  

• Like 1

I think you're misunderstanding Mike's point.

When a white person (conservative or liberal) says "don't riot, vote" they mean "shut up and fall in line". They want blacks to shut up and vote for whatever the Democratic Party tosses lazily at them. They want blacks to get excited about a means-tested, tax-advantaged savings account for skill-building continuing education and graduated tranches of health care product access, and student loan forgiveness for entrepreneurs in low-income areas who meet 400 different sub-criteria.

But Mike isn't one of those, so when you listen to him talk you need to adjust your frame of reference. He's a black nationalist. He wants the burning to stop because he loves his city and wants its black residents to actually take control of it. He doesn't want the burning to stop so the old order can maintain with small reforms.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I think you're misunderstanding Mike's point.

When a white person (conservative or liberal) says "don't riot, vote" they mean "shut up and fall in line". They want blacks to shut up and vote for whatever the Democratic Party tosses lazily at them. They want blacks to get excited about a means-tested, tax-advantaged savings account for skill-building continuing education and graduated tranches of health care product access, and student loan forgiveness for entrepreneurs in low-income areas who meet 400 different sub-criteria.

But Mike isn't one of those, so when you listen to him talk you need to adjust your frame of reference. He's a black nationalist. He wants the burning to stop because he loves his city and wants its black residents to actually take control of it. He doesn't want the burning to stop so the old order can maintain with small reforms.

I'm a white person who also thinks like KM that voting is the way to change things.  I do not need you out here telling anyone what I am saying when I say "don't riot, vote."   

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I'm a white person who also thinks like KM that voting is the way to change things.  I do not need you out here telling anyone what I am saying when I say "don't riot, vote."   

Obviously I was speaking in the general. Let's not Not All Whites this.

I'm white, too. :)

The police should be on the front lines of this shit demanding accountability and reform. It's good to see something every once in awhile suggesting what that would look like. 

Exactly. Honestly, I very much want to see police protesting. If they are “good ones,” this huge defect in the system is as harmful to them as anyone. They should be in the streets demanding a system that drums out bad cops quickly.

Also KM understands that Atlanta is basically the HQ for civil rights and the capital of black people in the US. It’s the safest and best place to be a black person (e.g. Key and Peele skit, “Negroland”), and it’s the city on the hill and the best chance to keep progressing civil rights so to burn it down is 10 steps backwards (“if we burn Atlanta what else do we got” he says).

Also, makes complete sense that MSP is being tore up by outside agitators. I had the thought it doesn’t pass the smell test that super progressive MSP is as violent and filled with black rage like Memphis or Little Rock or something. 

16 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Because it's not all rioting going on, or looting.  There's probably more peaceful protesting going on than anything, but the other is more sensational.   I think a lot of people are thinking that taking a knee didn't work, BLM didn't work, does it take a 2x4 upside the head?   There's a lot going on, some of it is real, some is trumped up.  I think these leaders he is faulting for being silent are more gathering info and trying to come up with a good reaction, maybe even a plan.   Better than going off with something emotional just to put something out there they might regret later.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

That’s a nice image but the cops are still dressed up like an occupying military force.

0353f820fbe44d5f336c781d73b10aab.jpg
9ada3b769af9658e8272cfaf39e244bb.jpg

It's one of the offshoots from our constant military involvement overseas.  We are permanently at war outside and inside the US.  

• Like 2