Minneapolis is Burning

F250

7 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

Some dumbass MAGAT on Orangebloods is trying to convince me that the rioters are all paid crisis actors. I predicted that would be a thing as soon as the unrest began. The right is chock full of morons. 

That doesn't fit with the "all blacks are thugs" narrative that they're trying to tell without actually saying it.

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The Lone Ranger? He's not the Lone Ranger. He's Tony Soprano. He's a mob boss. And he's a child. If he loses then he'll throw a tantrum. He'll call the election rigged and, based on his past, file a bunch of lawsuits. If there is a transition of power, it will definitely not be orderly. It will be less orderly than anything we've ever seen before. 

His administration wasn't interested in hearing advice from the previous administration. 

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/07/department-of-energy-risks-michael-lewis

Do you think they'll be interested in giving advice to the succeeding administration? Do you think they even have anyone competent enough to give it? Can you imagine him giving a concession speech and congratulating Biden on his victory?

He won't go quietly but good god just give me a transition and you can squawk all you want about how orderly it was. 

Remember when the Clinton staffers took all the keyboard W's with them and the right thought it was the most petty thing evar??

26 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Posted in the DT thread but here’s a bunch of research on what can be done to reduce police violence:

This thread needs to be pushed hard.    I am sure there will be studies that compare the violence/loss in cities that have invoked some of these actions against those who haven't.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

No justice, no peace was not a tired chant in those days. No justice leads to no peace. Withhold justice and those subject to injustice will destroy the peace.

Yep. Economic injustice is a key point here, too.

If people own nothing and have no stakes because they have nothing, what does this grand idea of "our community" mean? It means nothing to them, because they have nothing.

• Like 2

Waltz just gave a really good speech about how great Minnesota is.  If you're white.  Hearing him, Frey and Carter speak us refreshing. 

Really liking Carter a lot.  He's passionate but calm.  Collected but angry.  And acting like a leader.

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

No. I’m a grown ass man with agency and resources. I won’t do what you tell me.  I’ll stand here and bitch about my country as much as I damn well please.  And there isn’t a fucking thing you can do to stop me. 
hillary clinton no GIF

200.gif

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

The no problema cinched it.

Replete with a "snowflake" but fell short of a "cuck" and a "soyboy" so it could be countered with a productive "fascist" or "nazi." It had a funky beat but I couldn't prancercize to it. 

9 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Quoting so this didn’t get lost in the wee hours. This should be an interaction everyone sees. 5 cops most likely yelling and talking over each other’s orders and black people unable to know who/what they should listen to. Even after they tase them, they can’t figure out from which door they want to drag him. They never had a chance, they were going to get fucked up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Yea. I was wondering what he envisioned before he left the house. His ability with the bow suggested that maybe he just bought it a few minutes before.

Did he imagine himself as heroically defeating the heathen horde? Was he Green Arrow in muscle-bulging lycra loosing his shafts of justice to save the dear old USA? He surely seems to have that crazy American notion that you're the only brave person among cowards. It's so strange.

When the mob he sought to rout closed above him, what did he think then? I'm truly curious to see what the full ride was for this doomed, malign idiot.

So apparently all the mob did was take his bow away. He left the scene & SLC police say they know who he is & are considering charges against him. 

I think if he got mobbed anywhere but Utah he might be dead or severely injured.

• Fuck You 1

Unless you are a 1%, why would you wish to continue with a system rife with systemic racism and failure to function properly? Dipshits who support Trump who aren't wealthy fuck themselves when these thieves work to not only keep what they have but take what you have too. Because they can and because there is never enough. Militarized Police is one of the tools that they wield against us all. If your skin isn't black then you aren't among the first of the citizens abused, but if the elite decide immigrants or Hispanics are next then what is to stop them? Oh wait, that already happened. Anything that might disrupt their power is what they will attack. 

Keeping us in different camps and against each other is also a tactic. We should see that whether we are conservative or liberal, having militarized police who operate with impunity is wrong and a danger to our republic. We all should want to fix that and kick out those who sold themselves to protecting the corrupted system. We can have true differences in how to design policy or philosophical differences but right now our house is burning and we need to come together to put out the fire and try to save the house. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Grandioso said:

Happy 99th anniversary of the Tulsa Race Riot (or Race Massacre more accurately).

regret-statue-outside-louvre2_1600.jpg

Ashamed that I had to learn about that from an HBO Comic Book Movie that I didn't even like. Massacre, indeed.

Hard to dismiss this actions as anomalies when they never seem to stop.

Shame.

48 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

If people own nothing and have no stakes because they have nothing, what does this grand idea of "our community" mean? It means nothing to them, because they have nothing.

Except in Atlanta which Killer Mike notes when he says “Guys let’s don’t get violent here, if we lose our city on the hill, what do we have?”

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Yep. I keep forgetting to mention the aspect of how people with just about nothing to lose will react when they feel even their very lives are held at so inhumanly low value. What would I care about any structure or sign of wealth or face of power around me if I thought, "Hell, they're just killing us for fun now"? 

How could I value anything in the "civilization" around me under such terms? I wouldn't. 

I compliment the demonstrators on their restraint. They're not lynching white people or burning residences. Just the cops are attacking homes.

• Like 3

It's amazing how not acting like a conquering force and overall giant asshole goes a long way towards people not wanting to attack you. 

It's also nice to see shit hole places and oppressive authoritarian regimes around the world mocking the US for being fucked up. 

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Ashamed that I had to learn about that from an HBO Comic Book Movie that I didn't even like. Massacre, indeed.

Shame.

Yep. Same here. And there's a lot of history of the city I was born in and still occupy that's been whitewashed. A lot of lynchings in Dallas that never made the history classes I was taught growing up. 

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Thanks for this take.

My family - including my wife in her clerical collar, and both of our children, will be at the capitol in a few hours. We will state our case, bear witness, and not be silent. We will do so peacefully. We will hope and encourage everyone else there to do the same.

But we had a lot of conversation about this yesterday with our kids. This is their country - even though my daughter says she’s done, and has no desire to return, we reminded her that it will always be her homeland, and it will be the home of friends and family she loves. And apparently, they are going to have to fight for it. So answer the call. Their generation is going to have to fight for their country.

They aren’t going to leave. They aren’t going to abandon it to simple-minded cowards. They see quite clearly the things that are so very wrong. So now, they fight.

Feel free to point out the different statues for Confederate soldiers if you stumble upon white guys pushing over another water fountain.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

21 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Shame.

13 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yep. Same here. And there's a lot of history of the city I was born in and still occupy that's been whitewashed. A lot of lynchings in Dallas that never made the history classes I was taught growing up. 

No reason for shame.   Remember, the victors write the history.  

I had never heard of it either, or maybe i had, but have already forgotten about it.  Point is, it was never included in probably 99% of our curriculum. 

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Right now, we're seeing what it looks like when maybe 17% of the population feels disenfranchised and persecuted (they are).

What does it look like when 35% of the population feels that way (who aren't)?

The fact that WuLaw has to refer to the psycho who shot up the GOP baseball game (a default for both siders) as a comparable example of left-right terrorism shows the dearth of examples. 

Charlottesville and the torch parade somehow doesn't earn mention. The Trump rallies are another indicator of different groups of large numbers of people that form the tinderbox of Trumpist violence. Trump's rhetoric will encourage them with lies.

I believe we're seeing a just demonstration against injustice at the moment. An injust and violent demonstration against a just election will, potentially, surpass the current one in violence and hate. Hell, they show up to peaceful demonstrations armed for combat.

I wish I could be as sanguine as Wulaw. I'm not.

Another note, family matters have brought me to Peterborough, NH. In this beautiful largely white little town, at least a hundred locals lined the main highway to support the Black Lives Matter demonstration. It was a heartening thing to see after Floyd's murder and the arrest of the CNN reporter.

Your last paragraph should inform the idea that the entirety of the first part is nonsense. I will be here in November to point and laugh at all of you who think an election result is going to lead to the edge of civil war.  It won’t. And it says more about you than the people you are taking about. 

And if I’m wrong then it says I’m the biggest naive gullible fool in America. But I’d rather give myself an infinitesimally small chance of being that than contour up absurdist scenarios where my fellow friends and neighbors revolt and storm the castle trying to create an autocratic

dictatorship when their guy loses. 

54 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Thanks for this take.

My family - including my wife in her clerical collar, and both of our children, will be at the capitol in a few hours. We will state our case, bear witness, and not be silent. We will do so peacefully. We will hope and encourage everyone else there to do the same.

But we had a lot of conversation about this yesterday with our kids. This is their country - even though my daughter says she’s done, and has no desire to return, we reminded her that it will always be her homeland, and it will be the home of friends and family she loves. And apparently, they are going to have to fight for it. So answer the call. Their generation is going to have to fight for their country.

They aren’t going to leave. They aren’t going to abandon it to simple-minded cowards. They see quite clearly the things that are so very wrong. So now, they fight.

be careful buddy

Edited by Celery Man

54 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Thanks for this take.

Y'all be careful out there man......keep your head on a swivel, and keep mom, and the kids where you can grab them instantly without having to reach too far. And, I hate having to say this, but  think about a quick exit location when you're moving into, and thru the crowds.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Your last paragraph should inform the idea that the entirety of the first part is nonsense. I will be here in November to point and laugh at all of you who think an election result is going to lead to the edge of civil war.  It won’t. And it says more about you than the people you are taking about. 

And if I’m wrong then it says I’m the biggest naive gullible fool in America. But I’d rather give myself an infinitesimally small chance of being that than contour up absurdist scenarios where my fellow friends and neighbors revolt and storm the castle trying to create an autocratic

dictatorship when their guy loses. 

We’re at the cops shooting journalists on live fucking television stage of democratic breakdown and you’re still pretending everything is fine. 

• Like 6

Re the cancellation....

Yes....we just saw this.

We will respect the wishes of the organizers. The intent was a peaceful gathering to bear witness and demand accountability. We will not be part of something against the wishes of the community that has the most important voice in this matter. And we will not be a part of creating further confusion that cruel leaders will use to argue against a just cause.

We have much to say. But most importantly, we must listen first. If my neighbor in need is asking us to stand down, that’s what we’ll do. And we’ll be ready for what comes next.

We must not be silent.

We must not be complicit.

This is going to be a long fight.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 8

Here's the twitter feed of the dude in Dallas with the machete. 

https://twitter.com/HarrierMagnus

He describes himself as "Man of Letters. Fiction at @TheOtherStories, @terrorhousemag , & others. Poetry at @NewPopLit, @firstthingsmag, & others. Commentary at@autisticmercury"

Seems to be taking the whole thing pretty well.  Says that he didn't think things through very well. 

9 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

That guy brought piss to a shit fight.

This is Twitter.  When I saw this last night I thought WTF?  Is this mob crazy?  Then today we see he isn't the innocent I perceived him to be in the first Tweet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BevoSwag said:

This is Twitter.  When I saw this last night I thought WTF?  Is this mob crazy?  Then today we see he isn't the innocent I perceived him to be in the first Tweet.

But the guy is not at all what I would have thought him to be, either.   He has tweets like this one:

And this one:

And this one