Minneapolis is Burning

F250

1 hour ago, seven said:

I'm on the brisket ledge, I've lost all confidence in this country 

Save me a seat. Every accusation is a confession, so in that sense, Trump's "shithole countries" episode is fitting. We are a third world country with the remnants of a first world economy.

Edited by gmr548
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

The death spiral is right. Democrats in these cities have done jack shit to curtail police abuse of minorities. LA, SF, ABQ, Philly, Minneapolis and a ton more large cities are full blown Democrat top to bottom. Those cities are as shitty to minorities as Salt Lake City, Phoenix/Scottsdale. They just go out every couple of years to make it seem like they actually give a shit about African Americans. The entire system is fucked up. Our federal government is a shit show on both sides of the aisle and nothing Biden does will improve it. The only benefit Biden gives you is that:

A) he is not Trump

B) when he dies two years in to office he gives way to a younger, (hopefully diverse) female VP to be president

I only need A.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

The only benefit Biden gives you is that:

A) he is not Trump

I just want to say that at this point, this statement is on par with something like

"The only benefit air gives you is that:

A) you can breathe"

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

The death spiral is right. Democrats in these cities have done jack shit to curtail police abuse of minorities. LA, SF, ABQ, Philly, Minneapolis and a ton more large cities are full blown Democrat top to bottom. Those cities are as shitty to minorities as Salt Lake City, Phoenix/Scottsdale. They just go out every couple of years to make it seem like they actually give a shit about African Americans. The entire system is fucked up. Our federal government is a shit show on both sides of the aisle and nothing Biden does will improve it. The only benefit Biden gives you is that:

A) he is not Trump

B) when he dies two years in to office he gives way to a younger, (hopefully diverse) female VP to be president

I agree with most of this, but will point out the police union heads, and most of the actual officers, are far from being Democrats. We're lucky when they're not out-and-out white nationalists (the Minneapolis guy is). So that kind of undercuts the leadership.

Also while I cringe at Biden, I think much of his cabinet will be semi-competent and maybe rebuild some sort of functionality of the executive branch. For the near term at least...

• Like 2

So apparently the Omaha police and protesters stuck a deal to disperse at curfew time, so we will find out shortly if it sticks. The bar owner/shooter has had his lease terminated and is being evicted. Also as a side note the Omaha World Herald report on site has been doing a great job with pictures and video coverage, and in normal times he’s the high school sports/recruiting guy for the paper.

• Like 1

One of two things is going to happen over the next week:

1) COVID is going to go apeshit
or
B) A terrorist organization or antifa or kkk or whoever is going to plant a bomb or someshit and turn this thing up to 11
Why not both....
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Lol. He was too stupid to hold the front, with the Bible label, towards the cameras.  Well there goes what little amount of moral high ground the USA had remaining after the last few years. We deserve all the trolling China, Iran, North Korea, etc. will direct towards us.

42 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I just want to say that at this point, this statement is on par with something like

"The only benefit air gives you is that:

A) you can breathe"

That’s fair. I just wish I had a better option than Biden. I’m going to vote for him but he certainly doesn’t make me super excited. 

24 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

One of two things is going to happen over the next week:

1) COVID is going to go apeshit

or

B) A terrorist organization or antifa or kkk or whoever is going to plant a bomb or someshit and turn this thing up to 11

I hope your wrong, but terrorists...if your listening....this bush would not be a horrible place to start.

67FD62CA-BB26-4EE6-BC84-8A42E3447E7F.jpeg

17 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

That’s fair. I just wish I had a better option than Biden. I’m going to vote for him but he certainly doesn’t make me super excited. 

I don't typically wake up in the morning and get really excited about breathing either, but it's immeasurably better than the alternative. That's all the motivation I need. 

This country, it may be done already, but it's definitely done with four more years. Anything beyond that is fluff. I was nowhere close to a Biden supporter in the primary but as a progressive I do not see how there is any other morally or intellectually defensible option except falling in line on this one. I don't need to be excited about it. Treat the heart attack, then we talk about diet and exercise.

Edited by gmr548
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Xian said:

I’m open with keeping the unions if we can find a way to fix the contracts and fire bad cops. 

Again, I'm way behind on this thread. I have been thinking about the assumption that there are good cops out there who are intimidated into silence. I think we need to rethink that.

If I were part of an organization that used intimidation to protect wicked acts and criminals acting as police, I'd either fight it or walk away. There are other jobs. I don't think I could live with myself if I were even tacitly aligned with racist murderers operating with impunity. I don't expect someone to risk their life to fight the system. I doubt that I could do that. 

Good cops, if they exist in the numbers we've imagined must stand up and either arrest bad cops or strike. Period. 

I'm pro-union. I'm not blind to the evil some unions do. If police unions are tools to maintain a corrupt and malignant power structure, fuck them and their acquiescing membership.

As the republic rattles itself to pieces, corrupt police are a terrible threat to liberty. We must flush the myth of the police as benevolent along with many of our other useless myths about American exceptionalism.

• Like 4