Minneapolis is Burning

F250

I called Watkins Glen, NY, Sgt. in Charge Brandon Mathews to talk about the fact that one of his cops, Robert Brill, was a member of a couple of FB groups connected to the Proud Boys and the “Kekistani Freestate,” or Kek.

You know what he told me?  

“We don’t discuss personnel matters,” and he hung up on me. Racist Robert Brill didn’t call me back, but I only left that one restrained and very civil VM.

Maybe you guys will have better luck.
Phone: (607)-535-7883

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, LongestHorn said:

I called Watkins Glen, NY, Sgt. in Charge Brandon Mathews to talk about the fact that one of his cops, Robert Brill, was a member of a couple of FB groups connected to the Proud Boys and the “Kekistani Freestate,” or Kek.

You know what he told me?  

“We don’t discuss personnel matters,” and he hung up on me. Racist Robert Brill didn’t call me back, but I only left that one restrained and very civil VM.

Maybe you guys will have better luck.
Phone: (607)-535-7883

Will do, gracias. 

7 hours ago, Dropout said:

Rioting destroying cities and part of organized domestic terrorism? About 90%.

We talking cops right?

So let’s bring race back into the equation.

We have documented incidents of white cops being racist and killing unarmed black men. As a result, the prevailing thought is that all cops are bad and white people are racist. At best, SOME cops are good, based on personal interactions or family relations.

We have documented incidents of black people acting like violent criminals. Yet, the same transitive properties don’t apply. We don’t label all black people as bad based on the actions of some. We accept that, on a whole, black people are unfairly treated based on the actions of the minority of the population. This is a broad stroke applied that doesn’t necessarily have the benefit of personal interactions or family relations.

This seems hypocritical and an argument based on emotion.

• Like 2

Ike was commander of Allied Forces in Europe during World War II.

Grant scrapped in the Mexican-American War and the, of course, led Union forces in the latter half of the Civil War.

George Washington led the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War.

Let's not forget Andrew Jackson's exploits or Zachary Taylor's. 

Abe Lincoln? The man had no guts at all. 

JFK voluntarily left a cushy life, joined the Navy,  was on a PT boat during WW II, and very nearly died.  George H.W. Bush left a cushy life to enlist in the Navy as a naval aviator, was shot down, rescued in the Pacific, then returned to fly more missions.  

Obama ate at a Torchy's Tacos in Austin.

But, yeah, Trump is the gutsy one. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Spankytoes said:

We have documented incidents of white cops being racist and killing unarmed black men. As a result, the prevailing thought is that all cops are bad and white people are racist. At best, SOME cops are good, based on personal interactions or family relations.

We have documented incidents of black people acting like violent criminals. Yet, the same transitive properties don’t apply. We don’t label all black people as bad based on the actions of some. We accept that, on a whole, black people are unfairly treated based on the actions of the minority of the population. This is a broad stroke applied that doesn’t necessarily have the benefit of personal interactions or family relations.

I agree with this.  We ought not paint "the police," or anyone, with too broad a brush.

And the police kill white people, too, just as they did Tony Timpa in Dallas a few years ago.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

On the other hand: you have a decision if you're going to be a cop or not. 

If you're black, you're black. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

I’ll bite. Race should be included in any honest discussion. It’s the reality of the situation.

You asked right wing republican not racist. So I’m not saying 90% of cops are racist. Def not 90% of white people. Cops are held to a different standard. Or at least are meant to be.

We have documented incidents of black white brown whatever acting like criminals. They didn’t take an oath to anything. Certainly not meant to uphold justice or the law. Some people do label black and other groups of people bad. Sometimes based on absolutely nothing.

And now to destroy a whole narrative and probably get negged through the center of the earth in the process.  Bold parts are my emphasis.

https://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2019/the-truth-behind-racial-disparities-in-fatal-police-shootings/

THE TRUTH BEHIND RACIAL DISPARITIES IN FATAL POLICE SHOOTINGS

Contact(s): Caroline Brooks, Joseph Cesario

Reports of racially motivated, fatal shootings by police officers have garnered extensive public attention and sparked activism across the nation. New research from Michigan State University and University of Maryland reveals findings that flip many of these reports on their heads – white police officers are not more likely to have shot minority citizens than non-white officers.

“Until now, there’s never been a systematic, nationwide study to determine the characteristics of police involved in fatal officer-involved shootings,” said Joseph Cesario, co-author and professor of psychology at MSU. “There are so many examples of people saying that when black citizens are shot by police, it’s white officers shooting them. In fact, our findings show no support that black citizens are more likely to be shot by white officers."

The findings – published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, or PNAS – are based on an independent database Cesario and his team created that catalogued each police shooting from 2015. The team – led also by co-author David Johnson from University of Maryland – contacted every police department that had a fatal police shooting to get the race, sex and years of experience for every officer involved in each incident. The team also leveraged data from police shooting databases by The Washington Post and The Guardian.

“We found that the race of the officer doesn’t matter when it comes to predicting whether black or white citizens are shot," Cesario said. "If anything, black citizens are more likely to have been shot by black officers, but this is because black officers are drawn from the same population that they police. So, the more black citizens there are in a community, the more black police officers there are.”

The data show that it’s not racial bias on behalf of white officers relative to black officers when it comes to fatal shootings, and that’s good news. The bad news, Cesario said, is that internal policy changes, such as diversifying police forces, may not reduce shootings of minority citizens.

Beyond officer race, the team drew other conclusions about details related to racial disparities in fatal officer shootings.

“Many people ask whether black or white citizens are more likely to be shot and why. We found that violent crime rates are the driving force behind fatal shootings,” Cesario said. “Our data show that the rate of crime by each racial group correlates with the likelihood of citizens from that racial group being shot. If you live in a county that has a lot of white people committing crimes, white people are more likely to be shot. If you live in a county that has a lot of black people committing crimes, black people are more likely to be shot. It is the best predictor we have of fatal police shootings.”

By connecting the findings of police officer race, victim race and crime rates, the research suggests that the best way to understand police shootings isn’t racial bias of the police officer; rather, by the exposure to police officers through crime.

The vast majority – between 90% and 95% – of the civilians shot by officers were actively attacking police or other citizens when they were shot. Ninety percent also were armed with a weapon when they were shot. The horrific cases of accidental shootings, like mistaking a cell phone for a gun, are rare, Cesario said.

“We hear about the really horrendous and tragic cases of police shootings for a reason: they’re awful cases, they have major implications for police-community relations and so they should get attention,” Cesario said. “But, this ends up skewing perceptions about police shootings and leads people to believe that all fatal shootings are similar to the ones we hear about. That’s just not the case.”

One thing that was surprising to the researchers, Cesario said, were the number of mental health cases that resulted in fatal officer shootings.

“It was truly striking and we didn’t recognize just how many there were,” he said. “This shows how underappreciated mental health is in the national discussion of fatal officer shootings.”

Nearly 50% of all fatal shootings involving white civilians were because of mental health; it also accounted for nearly 20% of black civilians and 30% of Hispanics. These included two types of mental health cases: the first was “suicide by cop,” in which civilians intentionally antagonize the police because they want an officer to kill themselves; the second was a result of mental disorders, such as when a civilian is suffering from schizophrenia and poses a threat to officers.

Although white officers are not more likely than black officers to shoot black citizens when looking at all fatal shootings, the data are too uncertain to draw firm conclusions once different subtypes of shootings, such as shootings of unarmed citizens, are examined. This is because these types of shootings are too rare for strong conclusions to be drawn.

Cesario said that better record keeping – such as the FBI's National Use-of-Force Data Collection, which launched in 2019 – will enable researchers to understand police shootings in finer detail.

Hear more from Cesario on the Manifold podcast.

(Note for media: Please include a link to the original paper in online coverage: https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2019/07/16/1903856116)

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 3

Holy fucking shit - this pallet of medium river flats was just dropped in a driveway for a "customer" near my neighborhood. Convenient that this full 3000 lb. pallet of buff, tan and beige Tennessee River Slicks is prominently displayed in the front driveway. Everyone knows that 4"-7" cobbles are primarily incorporated into terraced backyard lanai and fire pit hardscapes.

A war is coming to Crestview Place. God help us.

4c282d99-5134-48fe-ad7d-4e6f64228bc0.jpg

Edited by smuggs
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

The brick pallet conspiracy theory seems to have been debunked.  However,  The march in Richmond went right by my studio yesterday. Around 10:00 yesterday the city sent police, and other city employees along the march route removing anything that could be used as projectiles, bricks, scrap metal, rocks etc.  They removed several bricks from a damaged site wall next door to my studio.  

I park in the rear of my building, accessed thru an alley gate.  Imagine my surprise this morning when I came thru the gate to see 2-3 bricks stacked right by the gate (next to my very large storefront windows, the most prominent on the block). They weren't there yesterday when I left around 5:30. So while there may not be wholesale stockpiling of objects to be thrown, there are people (in my opinion) doing it on a small scale.

Yeah yeah, I know I'm lying...  of course I am...this was just a coincidence, the police missed these bricks sitting in plain sight, 6' from the damaged wall where they'd removed bricks earlier in the day, and these bricks aren't even the same size, texture or color as the wall or anything else in the block.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Interesting time to defend and minimize police brutality, EMAW. Boots really getting a spitshine. 

I would say ignore the intellectual dishonesty but that would require a modicum of intellect. Perhaps he should stick to the racist cartoons thread where he can laugh himself silly at the big eared Obama meme for the millionth time. Fucking child.   

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Captainant said:

On the other hand: you have a decision if you're going to be a cop or not. 

If you're black, you're black. 

Exactly. Being a cop is a choice, and once you've made that choice you have to go through training. The training is a big part of the problem. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

As a result, the prevailing thought is that all cops are bad and white people are racist.

No Black person--especially on this site--has said or thinks this.  Any time someone posts about racial incidents against Blacks by Whites, it's not clear why you automatically think that Blacks are implying or saying that all White people are racist.  This is something you've hinted at on this website for years, and it's just not true.  It's also not clear what agenda you're trying to push by continuously typing this. 

If this is not what you're doing, I would hope you would elaborate a bit. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, F250 said:

Eh, a lot of libertarians have been critical of what is going on. There just aren't very many well known libertarians.

Republicans have definitely been silent and "libertarian leaning Republicans" are just conservatives that want to oppose the Civil Rights Amendment. They are like aggy calling themselves Texas aggy, its just a ruse.

Yeah, there are like four libertarians left in the world. The ones that really just don't like the blacks and browns getting welfare are fully on board the #MAGA train, and the ones who actually believed in limited government and had some ethics are now reluctant Democratic voters, for the time being, who realized that gross destruction of the constitution is more important than deficit hawking. 

Edited by BradInATX

44 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

And now to destroy a whole narrative and probably get negged through the center of the earth in the process.  Bold parts are my emphasis.

https://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2019/the-truth-behind-racial-disparities-in-fatal-police-shootings/

The real statistics you need to research are: what % of unarmed people killed by police are black, and what % of officers who kill an unarmed person are white?

Edited by Snake Diggity

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

Actually, we're coming around to All Cops Are Bastards because we're watching them ignore the looters so they can gleefully teargas, shoot, and beat fucking teenagers who are peacefully protesting. There's hundreds of examples on video from last night alone. How many cops are going to resign today over their coworkers' behavior? How many cops are going to resign rather than refuse orders to assault peaceful protesters? If it's more than ten all across the country, I'll be shocked.

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

The real statistics you need to research are: what % of unarmed people killed by police are black, and what % of officers who kill an unarmed person are white?

"There's many per capitas" - Trump

• Like 1

Any of you catch the interview on MSNBC with Art Acevedo. Showed some video of him yelling in a crowd about "white skateboarders" and then interviewed him talking out of both sides of his mouth about police brutality etc

Acevedo is a total POS Liar and seeing him trying to act like he gives any fucks about police accountability made me ragey.

• Like 6