Minneapolis is Burning

F250

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

As I have said before, Esper is an idiot.  The brass at the Pentagon are not happy and haven't been for some time.  This latest picture stunt really pissed some folks off.  I think you would have normally seen some 4 stars retire/resign in protest but they feel the need to protect the force and to push back when they can.  

I think the hasty PC today is part of that, I imagine he got serious blowback from the joint chiefs at a minimum.  Probably a lot of grumbling up and down the chain of command about it too.  He sent out a memo this morning to all DoD personnel echoing the shit he said in the PC.  He knows he crossed the line.  It will be interesting to see if Trump's ego can take this.  

2 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

The same claim is made against peaceful Muslims. That they should condemn attacks more vocally.

Thanks for raising this critical point at this moment in American history. I think all demonstration should cease even if making them do so involves using the active military so that we can make a determination about whether or not we should hate all Muslims because of Muslim terrorists.

What were we thinking?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, when all muslims are charged with the duty to protect me, and I pay them to do so, but they attack me anyway, then yes, your analogy will be spot-on.

Shit that's a good idea. Maybe they can protect us from the cops if we pay them

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Did you miss the part where our most stalwart allies in the war against ISIS and al Qa'ida in Mesopotamia were the Kurds (right up until Donald Trump betrayed them to the Syrians and Russians)?

To exactly what religion do you think the Kurds adhere?

Well, a cop chose to become a cop and every day chooses to remain a cop.  So that's a pretty fucking big difference right there.

Honestly, Spanky--when did you become this stupid and/or racist?

He's always been. Just a lot harder to tell when he's talking about getting free trips. But come to think of it I don't remember him ever talking about getting free trips to Africa ...

24 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
32 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:
This is positive in so many ways, but we, the people, need to push for reform at the local level. As noted above, where the police have worked with their community things progressed in a more positive way. We have to be selective on who we elect to enforce the reforms we want to see in our nation. And this starts at the local level. 

This. There's only so much the federal government can realistically do on this issue. I hope to see those things - eliminating funding for police weaponry, DOJ investigation of officer killings, maybe mandate/fund bodycams - accomplished if Democrats take control in November. But ultimately it's a culture issue and that's all local.

It’s largely a society problem.  We have internalized so much white supremacy that must be unlearned to get to where we should be.  The racism in our culture can only be corrected by proactive whites attacking the racist structures in the system and on the local level.  That is going to be a heavy lift but I believe it is worth it in the end. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

If Esper had any balls he would resign effective immediately on live TV WITHOUT telling Trump in advance. 

Go on TV and say "I can not support the authoritarian and tyrannical measures the President wants to put in place.  I disagree with him wholeheartedly and will not because party to trampling on the Constitutional rights of Americans.  My letter of resignation is being delivered to the President as I speak as I have chosen to never see the man in person ever again.  Thank you."

But he's a lackey and he doesnt have the cojones, or conscience, to do it.

I know little about the man. This act of his and the way the resigning policy secretary described him indicate to me that he's better than anyone Trump would shit out to replace him. Ollie North? The murdering SEAL? Jared?

You're exactly right, I think, in what should happen. In these days, one must always consider what horrifying thing will happen tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

People should realize cops around the country are trying to set traps so they have public opinion on their side when they unload on protesters.  They are setting up scenarios to use live ammunition.

• Like 1

I know little about the man. This act of his and the way the resigning policy secretary described him indicate to me that he's better than anyone Trump would shit out to replace him. Ollie North? The murdering SEAL? Jared?
You're exactly right, I think, in what should happen. In these days, one must always consider what horrifying thing will happen tomorrow.
That's exactly how people like Mattis justified staying in the admin. And Trump still tear gassed peaceful protestors for a blasphemous photo op.

Who knows where we would be now if in 2017 Mattis quit with a speech on how dangerous Trump was

15 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s largely a society problem.  We have internalized so much white supremacy that must be unlearned to get to where we should be.  The racism in our culture can only be corrected by proactive whites attacking the racist structures in the system and on the local level.  That is going to be a heavy lift but I believe it is worth it in the end. 

Yep, and we can do it. It will take time, but we can do it. call out the fucks when identified, keep open lines of communication, and we need to become active. If you think literacy is the primary issue, volunteer at a school. If it is food security, help the food bank. if it is police reform, become vocal at local meetings. The pressure is on for change, we need to keep momentum going. 

And Fuck Russia (just cuz). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Did you miss the part where our most stalwart allies in the war against ISIS and al Qa'ida in Mesopotamia were the Kurds (right up until Donald Trump betrayed them to the Syrians and Russians)?

To exactly what religion do you think the Kurds adhere?

Well, a cop chose to become a cop and every day chooses to remain a cop.  So that's a pretty fucking big difference right there.

Honestly, Spanky--when did you become this stupid and/or racist?

It seems both you and @Brisket are taking this personally. I’d be happy to learn more about how you were making a change before George Floyd was killed. Let’s focus on activities prior to the last year, to set an arbitrary date. I’d like to keep social media posts out if this, if we could.

With regards me being stupid and/or racist? Well that’s a simple answer: Fuck you. 

Edited by Spankytoes

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

There should be a long chain of motherfuckers getting chaptered over this.  The pilots, their commander, and whoever made the call to bring that aircraft on site.  I would guess whoever decided to do this wasn't someone in the military chain of command, because they wouldn't send a fucking Lukota as any kind of psyop.  The rotor wash from that thing is about as bad as a big shop fan.  If that helicopter had an emergency you would have a bunch of people dead.  If someone decided to pop a couple of rounds at the aircraft (assuming like most CONUS birds, they arent flying around with BAPS) you could have a bunch of people dead.  Just a mind bogglingly stupid thing to do.  

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

It seems both you and @Brisket are taking this personally. I’d be happy to learn more about how you were making a change before George Floyd was killed. Let’s focus on activities prior to the last year, to set an arbitrary date. I’d like to keep social media posts out if this, if we could.

With regards me being stupid and/or racist? Well that’s a simple answer: Fuck you. 

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve on this thread. Can you explain it to me?

It seems you want to press discussion of a metaphor that either proves there are good cops or that Muslims are all terrorists. It's inapt and, unless I'm missing something, wholly inapt.

25 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Thanks. I'm sure some sharp pencil in the Trump admin thought they could both make the use of the chopper seem innocuous and the cross to hold on to more evangelicals.

Loathsome people growing more loathsome by the hour.

edit to add: Reading TxsG8Tr above, I wonder if the helicopter is even actually military. Is there a way to be sure? I would not put it past the White House to engage a mercenary force (Get Erik on the phone!) to, again, make it more complicated. Thanks to you, too, TxsGtr for the analysis.

Edited by RomaVicta
Bunker Bitch is yella

52 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

I think the hasty PC today is part of that, I imagine he got serious blowback from the joint chiefs at a minimum.  Probably a lot of grumbling up and down the chain of command about it too.  He sent out a memo this morning to all DoD personnel echoing the shit he said in the PC.  He knows he crossed the line.  It will be interesting to see if Trump's ego can take this.  

Lol, less than an hour later.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/politics/esper-insurrection-act-protests/index.html

Secretary of Defense Mark Esper is on shaky ground with the White House after saying Wednesday that he does not support using active duty troops to quell the large-scale protests across the United States triggered by the death of George Floyd and those forces should only be used in a law enforcement role as a last resort.

Esper noted that "we are not in one of those situations now," distancing himself from President Donald Trump's recent threat to deploy the military to enforce order.
"The option to use active duty forces in a law enforcement role should only be used as a matter of last resort, and only in the most urgent and dire of situations. We are not in one of those situations now. I do not support invoking the Insurrection Act," Esper said from the Pentagon podium.
Wednesday's press briefing by Esper went over poorly at the White House, where he was already viewed to be on shaky ground, multiple people familiar with the matter said.

32 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Who owes you any explanation on why they feel Law Enforcement has a systematic problem with racism?  What does it matter if they have felt that pain personally or if they have been activists before? A confluence of events have happened to rehighlight (again) the problems with Law Enforcement. It's a problem. Just because you don't feel it, doesn't mean it doesn't impact a significant portion of our society, so needs to be addressed.......for the greater good of the society. 

And is your contention really that they shouldn't be protesting and protesting is bad, but you can't have a voice in this if you haven't protested before? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Thanks. I'm sure some sharp pencil in the Trump admin thought they could both make the use of the chopper seem innocuous and the cross to hold on to more evangelicals.

Loathsome people growing more loathsome by the hour.

edit to add: Reading TxsG8Tr above, I wonder if the helicopter is even actually military. Is there a way to be sure? I would not put it past the White House to engage a mercenary force (Get Erik on the phone!) to, again, make it more complicated. Thanks to you, too, TxsGtr for the analysis.

Yea, thats a UH-72 Lakota, it replaced the Kiowa, which replaced the Huey.  Small utility helicopter.  

Its not something I would expect anyone besides the military to have.  Any mercenary force worth its salt would use a little bird.  

spacer.png

• Like 1

Just now, Pig Bellmont said:

Honestly, what the fuck is this? Why are military-outfitted police not identifying themselves in this country? I’m guessing CBP or DEA based on the idiots running those agencies 

I'm guessing corrections officers.  They look sloppy as fuck.

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Honestly, what the fuck is this? Why are military-outfitted police not identifying themselves in this country? I’m guessing CBP or DEA based on the idiots running those agencies 

Could they be contractors?  Someone should call the cops on them for impersonating police and see what happens.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xian said:

This is insane. 

I feel like I am honest to god watching a bad sci-fi movie about the end of America. 

But it’s real. And horrifying. And probably has been happening for decades behind the scenes. Just now we have social media and cameras so the people can see it directly. 

edit:  I’m also worried that videos like this are only circulating in specific social media bubbles. They need to be spread to the masses. I have a feeling even most trump heads would be against something like this. They just don’t see it happening due to who they follow and are friends with. 

I might be overlooking it, but I don’t see videos like this on cnn, abc, fox, etc. 

Show that to the most conservative person you know and I bet you 5 billion dollars that you get "Well what happened before the camera was on?" 

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I learned today that the federal bureau of prisons has a special ops force. Ummm why?

to prevent Epstein from killing himself, duh! 

8 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

That is an occupying force. Seems like dislodging them would be an actual good use the US military.

9 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Yea, thats a UH-72 Lakota, it replaced the Kiowa, which replaced the Huey.  Small utility helicopter.  

Its not something I would expect anyone besides the military to have.  Any mercenary force worth its salt would use a little bird.  

spacer.png

That isn't a Lakota.  

This is a Lakota:

1920px-UH-72_Volk_field.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

It strikes me as really hard to charge someone with resisting arrest when the arresting officer is not in any way identified as such.

1 hour ago, Xian said:

This is insane. 

I feel like I am honest to god watching a bad sci-fi movie about the end of America. 

But it’s real. And horrifying. And probably has been happening for decades behind the scenes. Just now we have social media and cameras so the people can see it directly. 

edit:  I’m also worried that videos like this are only circulating in specific social media bubbles. They need to be spread to the masses. I have a feeling even most trump heads would be against something like this. They just don’t see it happening due to who they follow and are friends with. 

I might be overlooking it, but I don’t see videos like this on cnn, abc, fox, etc. 

Yep,  you'd be surprised at some of the videos that don't gain national attention. I just now came across this one from back in 2018.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

If you think it's bad now, just wait for the invading space apes.

Not space... it’s been earth the whole time

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/monkeys-snatch-covid-19-coronavirus-blood-samples-lab-india/

“You blew it up! Ah damn you! God damn you all to hell!”

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Why would I take the issue of racism and violence of the state committed against both innocents and on a disproportionately racist matter personally?  Let's see...

1) I am a human being, who believes that all human beings are children of God who should be treated with respect and compassion.  I think that's quite enough.  But there's more.....

2) I am a Christian, and I am called to be God's hands here on earth.  And if 1 member of His flock is in peril, as His hands here on earth, it is my duty to find and protect that member of the flock.  But there's more....

3) I am a member of the bar.  I wanted to be one since I was 9 years old.  I have a deeply ingrained sense of justice.  And I took an oath to support the Constitutions of the United States and the State of Texas.  I take my oath seriously.

Those are the big three.  There's plenty more.

34 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

There should be a long chain of motherfuckers getting chaptered over this.  The pilots, their commander, and whoever made the call to bring that aircraft on site.  I would guess whoever decided to do this wasn't someone in the military chain of command, because they wouldn't send a fucking Lukota as any kind of psyop.  The rotor wash from that thing is about as bad as a big shop fan.  If that helicopter had an emergency you would have a bunch of people dead.  If someone decided to pop a couple of rounds at the aircraft (assuming like most CONUS birds, they arent flying around with BAPS) you could have a bunch of people dead.  Just a mind bogglingly stupid thing to do.  

A vehicle bearing the red cross was used as an offensive weapon.  That is a violation of the Geneva Convention (I believe Protocol II).  Note that the Geneva Conventions, of which we ARE a signatory to all relevant portions (we signed Protocol II, although we have not finally ratified it) applies in both foreign and domestic conflicts.

• Like 9