Minneapolis is Burning

F250

15 minutes ago, elfenix said:

fake hayseed tom cotton: hold my beer

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/opinion/tom-cotton-protests-military.html

NYT staff are in open revolt over publishing this

Agree with the below - it's on the opinion page and it's his opinion and he is probably speaking to a not-insignificant portion of the GOP.  Yeah he's a fucktard but should the NYT only print articles and op-eds that most of its readers agree with?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Agree with the below - it's on the opinion page and it's his opinion and he is probably speaking to a not-insignificant portion of the GOP.  Yeah he's a fucktard but should the NYT only print articles and op-eds that most of its readers agree with?

The New York Times does not need to be lending its credibility to advocacy for a fascist crackdown against peaceful protesters. Cotton’s op ed contains blatant lies and distortions, is legitimately dangerous, and the Times running it gives his words an appearance of legitimacy that they wouldn’t get by being run by Breitbart or Fox News.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, sheeeit said:

Not to derail too much but I was curious too and read the DA report.  I am not sure you really did read it.  They literally have a picture captured from the cop cam before the shooting that shows the air rifle between the guys legs.  I am not sure it matters if he reached for it or not.  If anyone, regardless of race, is sitting in a stolen car at night with a weapon between their legs and the cops come up, you will get shot if you do not tell the cops it is there.  

As for the Minn case, I am glad they have charged the cop with murder and glad they charged the other cops at the scene.  Maybe this will deter cops for covering for each other in the future.  

Apparently even if you tell the cop about your permitted to carry gun they'll shoot you like they did Philando Castile.   

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The New York Times does not need to be lending its credibility to advocacy for a fascist crackdown against peaceful protesters. Cotton’s op ed contains blatant lies and distortions, is legitimately dangerous, and the Times running it gives his words an appearance of legitimacy that they wouldn’t get by being run by Breitbart or Fox News.

Then debate it, discuss it, challenge it, and point out why he's wrong.  Hell, Cotton's view is shared by a goodly number of Americans (I think I saw something like 55% supported using the military to stop the looting) so it's not even that fringy.

Now stop making me defend Cotton - I need a drink and a shower now.  But I loathe safe spaces and rigorous debate is not unhealthy.

• Like 3

Guest Lobo
Just now, StassneyHorn said:

You probably know, but Morrow is in the Republican runoff for the State Board of Education. The perfect troll

He'll probably win because, and I gotta give him credit here, he ran an anti-physics campaign before it was trendy to be against physics.  

I see this board daily, a message board of highly educated and influential Texans, continuously and vehemently deny that when you talk/cough/laugh/etc. indoors, the particles spread out in front of your ugly face, dangle in mid-air for a bit, and then fall to the ground.  Physics 101, but a bunch of our resident DT posters and Morrow indicate that that is bullshit.  Nothing comes out of the human mouth during indoor air exchanges except sunshine and rainbows.  Morrow probably wins because he has a bunch of anti-physics dipshits on his side now.  

I need some of you DT posters to understand something, the only reason it seems like my droplets don't get out into the air and spread the virus is because your wives and mothers are so good at sealing my cock with their mouths and making sure it all ends up in the backs of their throats.  You're beyond stupid and your wives are cock-gargling whores.  

39 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

i think you publish it (because he's a senator, just like wapost was right to publish the chinese ambassador's self-serving column last month) and alongside you publish a column explaining why he's wrong. 

unfortunately that works better in print than on web pages. 

edit: the editor of the editorial page explains the reasoning

edit2: these tweets are not well threaded

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Then debate it, discuss it, challenge it, and point out why he's wrong.  Hell, Cotton's view is shared by a goodly number of Americans (I think I saw something like 55% supported using the military to stop the looting) so it's not even that fringy.

Now stop making me defend Cotton - I need a drink and a shower now.  But I loathe safe spaces and rigorous debate is not unhealthy.

I think this gets to the heart of the argument. 

Are too high a percentage of Americans too stupid or ignorant for democracy? 

I agree with you that they should be able to run opinion labeled as opinion from pretty much whomever and it's the responsibility of the people to be intelligent enough to decide what is obviously not in the best interest of themselves and the country. 

Unfortunately the brainwashing of the republican party on unsuspecting idiots in vast numbers begs to question if now too many Americans are too dumb and if the institutions have to switch to saving America from American stupidity. Which of course is not democratic at all. 

This is an interesting very difficult issue. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

I agree with you that they should be able to run opinion labeled as opinion from pretty much whomever and it's the responsibility of the people to be intelligent enough to decide what is obviously not in the best interest of themselves and the country. 

Unfortunately the brainwashing of the republican party on unsuspecting idiots in vast numbers begs to question if now too many Americans are too dumb and if the institutions have to switch to saving America from American stupidity. Which of course is not democratic at all. 

I still tend to fall on the side of it shouldn't be published.  It was filled with lies.  And it's an inflammatory piece in which a U.S. Senator advocates deploying troops on U.S. soil.  it's not like we're debating the wisdom of a tax cut.  Cotton was purposefully bastardizing the Constitution.  The NYT is not obligated to publish that nonsense.  

Edit to add: it 's not like this is an issue for which there can be reasonable debate.  I hate Holocaust comparison, but it's like having an SS officer argue why Hitler should be putting Jews in work camps. in the 1930s.

Edited by lemonlime
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, lemonlime said:

And it's an inflammatory piece in which a U.S. Senator advocates deploying troops on U.S. soil.

Again disagree and challenge point by point  if you wish, but it really isn't that incendiary of a position. 

Hell, just a day or 2 ago, over half of Americans supported Cotton's position of bringing in the troops!

I know her accent now . . . She has the voice of Ann Margaret - a hottie from the 60's-70's. 
I like Marianne. Our country could do much much worse than Marianne. She embodies kindness and truth. Great virtues. Her directness is a breath of fresh air in the Democratic Party. She diagnoses the problem looming out there. She was savaged in pop media. She became toxic. I appreciate her dedication to a better world. 

Nah.

She has said abhorrent things about AIDS and derided clinical depression as fake and she’s an anti-vaxxer.

She can eat glass.
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

I still tend to fall on the side of it shouldn't be published.  It was filled with lies.  And it's an inflammatory piece in which a U.S. Senator advocates deploying troops on U.S. soil.  it's not like we're debating the wisdom of a tax cut.  Cotton was purposefully bastardizing the Constitution.  The NYT is not obligated to publish that nonsense.  

Edit to add: it 's not like this is an issue for which there can be reasonable debate.  I hate Holocaust comparison, but it's like having an SS officer argue why Hitler should be putting Jews in work camps. in the 1930s.

Edited by Message Board User

49 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Maybe.  Probably.  The concept of citizens as economic instruments with no other responsibility than production is hardened in so many folks. More and more of our existence is framed and contextualized around our country's economic power and superiority.  Citizenship qualified by how much money you earned and spent ain't citizenship.  We're not supposed to be China or Russia.

You participate in an economy, but you belong to a democracy.  Belonging to a democracy means you have responsibilities as a citizen, in addition to the rights you are afforded under the Constitution.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

Unfortunately, you know the answer.  Yes, a high percentage of Americans are too stupid or ignorant for democracy.  

5 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Travis GOP chair Matt Mackowiak, everyone!

Somebody on the old site said this guy manages to simultaneously look like a child molester and the victim of said child molestation.

I think of that everytime someone posts his tweet and I laugh and laugh and laugh

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

Boise Idaho. Bananas.

Some of that is just Wednesday night at the Grove though. It’s a thing. 

50 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Like anyone in Boise has ever seen a black person.

True story. I had two black friends in Boise- this guy Kevin (6’5”) and this guy Dwight (6’7”). They look nothing alike.

When Kevin moves to Boise he would go downtown and people at bars would ask “do you know Dwight?” “Are you and Dwight related?”

So one afternoon (before cell phones became common) I landed and I went out in the evening and went to a bar called Pengilly’s and asked the doorman “have you seen Dwight?” And the guy says “I think I saw him go into Hannah’s.”

I go to Hannah’s, and ... there’s Kevin.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Pancho said:

First off, this is a HARD 34 years old.  Jesus. But knowing this site, one of you would...

She and Stephen Miller are both 34.  They've got the LeBron James and Greg Oden chromosome where you look 40 by the time you're 20.

• Like 2

Like anyone in Boise has ever seen a black person.

Had a friend in law school, drop dead gorgeous black girl from Idaho. It was definitely a running joke dialogue with her a lot about being the only black person in Idaho. Her argument to the contrary was that her parents and brother also lived there.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Had a friend in law school, drop dead gorgeous black girl from Idaho. It was definitely a running joke dialogue with her a lot about being the only black person in Idaho. Her argument to the contrary was that her parents and brother also lived there.

Two sets off pepper shakers in a salt mine.