Minneapolis is Burning

F250

good on brees to apologize for his idiotic remarks. Brees and others may interpret kneeling during the anthem as disrespecting the flag but he obviously never spoke to anyone kneeling to understand that wasn't their intent. Says a lot of the Saints locker room and that I doubt that everyone in there think of Brees as their leader. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/04/sport/drew-brees-apology-nfl-spt-intl/index.html

2 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

San Antonio GOP Chair who recently claimed coronavirus was a hoax suggests, of course, Floyd murder was some staged event.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200603/bexar-county-gop-chair-spread-conspiracy-theory-that-george-floyd-killing-may-have-been-staged-to-hurt-trump

The SA GOP chairman, like the Texags political commentators, has psychopathic confirmation bias like their beloved president.

I will now stop comparing this hard core Trump support to Nixon's 24% support when he resigned. They were wrong in their belief that poor Tricky Dick was a victim of a long resentful, liberal press, but they were not out-of-their-minds dangerous.

Reading about a half dozen Texags posts, hearing the President's men and women, and listening to the nutjob president, my opinion of the electorate has managed to actually decline. "Cult" is no longer hyperbole. These crazies are the real deal.

As the stories mount of extremist groups trying to rouse the demonstrators to violence pervade, I become alarmingly more convinced that ruthless characters in Trump's GOP are ready and willing to take any measures to maintain power. Their support from their fanatical base will not waver.

That base may, indeed, trigger a cleansing Civil War. For a second time during the Trump reign, I wonder where the loyalties of the soldiers and cops lie. There seems to be division in the cops. The Army staff seems to have their minds right. But what of the rank and file?

I hope the right side gets cleansed.

I've read of the distances recruiters will go to get recruits in to meet quotas. I've read for years that white supremacists have been enlisting to learn weapons and explosives. What is the balance of ignorance concerning the pledge to uphold the Constitution? How do the rank and file dispose themselves in a Constitutional confrontation? Is there a good reason to believe their numbers break down the same way or worse than the electorate at large?

And, again, we have the GOP acting in every way like a band of criminals avoiding cells. Alarming is the mildest of descriptions.

Apropos of nothing: the Statesman website above calls itself SNews with the fancy Statesman S. 

Sound that out. So dumb.

• Like 1

This is different, extremely different. There are a TON of white people coast to coast doing this. Idaho is showing up. They're coming out every single day in DC. People are unemployed en masse and they ain't got shit else to do but organize, get mad online, and protest. College kids are furious and there ain't any school for them.
If I'm Trump...
1 - Immediate executive orders nullifying all police union contracts with qualified immunity (force renegotiation)
2 - Mandatory community review boards with specific oversight and punishment powers to receive any federal funding
3 - Mandatory demilitarization to receive any federal funding
4 - Cancel all police militarization contracts/initiatives, shift that money to just raising police salaries (no punitive measures against the police as a whole)
5 - Mandatory community policing initiatives to receive any federal funding
6 - Quota system for police living within their own jurisdictions with federal housing assistance
7 - Job transition programs for officers unfit to serve under the new guidelines (start with officers with a problematic history). If they have a dirty record and agree to transition peacefully, they get 3 years salary or early retirement if they're less than 3 years away with free vocational/continuing education to find a new career.
8 - Jobs guarantee tied to a Green New Deal to get people working, even if it's digging holes for pointless wind and solar installation, cleaning up waterways and wildlands, creating large community murals, etc...
Show the people you are taking action to reform police into a net good for the community. Show the police officers you still want them to get paid, but the nature of the job is changing.
Money is fiction, buy your way out of this.

fd841cf2818d261b1a089e6c13318141.gif
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

No surprise - but those sloppy looking assholes without badges who are now guarding DC - they're from the Bureau of Prisons.  Fucking correctional officers.

That is an apparent citation to the US Marshal Service, which has no authority to deputize other agencies.  Except that it does have whatever power a Sheriff has in it's local jurisdiction. Chapter 13, Title 28, US Code.

30 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Nope he wasn't, but based on footage of what some police forces have allowed to happen while just standing by, and watching (at times). The right to bear arms is a basic right of self protection needed here in this nation.   You can't say many who oppose the NRA  (I am one who doesn't agree with much of what they state) also oppose any ownership of guns by citizens for any reason.

I'm someone with a LTC and do so. 

Fuck the NRA.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

This is different, extremely different. There are a TON of white people coast to coast doing this. Idaho is showing up. They're coming out every single day in DC. People are unemployed en masse and they ain't got shit else to do but organize, get mad online, and protest. College kids are furious and there ain't any school for them.

If I'm Trump...

1 - Immediate executive orders nullifying all police union contracts with qualified immunity (force renegotiation)
2 - Mandatory community review boards with specific oversight and punishment powers to receive any federal funding
3 - Mandatory demilitarization to receive any federal funding
4 - Cancel all police militarization contracts/initiatives, shift that money to just raising police salaries (no punitive measures against the police as a whole)
5 - Mandatory community policing initiatives to receive any federal funding
6 - Quota system for police living within their own jurisdictions with federal housing assistance
7 - Job transition programs for officers unfit to serve under the new guidelines (start with officers with a problematic history). If they have a dirty record and agree to transition peacefully, they get 3 years salary or early retirement if they're less than 3 years away with free vocational/continuing education to find a new career.
8 - Jobs guarantee tied to a Green New Deal to get people working, even if it's digging holes for pointless wind and solar installation, cleaning up waterways and wildlands, creating large community murals, etc...

Show the people you are taking action to reform police into a net good for the community. Show the police officers you still want them to get paid, but the nature of the job is changing.

Money is fiction, buy your way out of this.

Conceptually, all these things sound good.  But most of those actions should not come from the executive branch. The answer to this problem will not come from more concentration of power in the executive.  It has to come from the legislative process, and I think that a good many of the steps you outline may have to be enacted in the state houses. 

• Like 1

There's been quite a pivot the last 2 days towards stuff like this. Perhaps our species isn't doomed?

You have a ruling regime and party continuing to actively resist change, and actively trying to foment violence so that they can dismiss the entire movement as rioters and troublemakers.

You have a crapload of PDs doubling down on their “RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!” approach to us peasants (see the cops attacking a man and his pregnant wife above).

The entities that need to be at the front of change - the ruling party and the cops themselves - are fighting back with all brutality, and they don’t care how many of us die in their quest to preserve power. The only question is if enough of us are willing to continue to fight through that bullshit anyway. Maybe we are. But more will die. This is a low intensity civil war. And it is going to last a while.

Guest Lobo
Just now, Prepuce of Doom said:

Drew Brees doing the bare minimum. 

Didn't realize Drew played with Dillon, that son of a bitch.  

25 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

good on brees to apologize for his idiotic remarks. Brees and others may interpret kneeling during the anthem as disrespecting the flag but he obviously never spoke to anyone kneeling to understand that wasn't their intent. Says a lot of the Saints locker room and that I doubt that everyone in there think of Brees as their leader. 

Good that he apologized, but his tone deafness about the protests and his intentional blindness and disregard for the current state of affairs will not be forgotten. 
His apology is spin control, his disregard was from the heart.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Conceptually, all these things sound good.  But most of those actions should not come from the executive branch. The answer to this problem will not come from more concentration of power in the executive.  It has to come from the legislative process, and I think that a good many of the steps you outline may have to be enacted in the state houses. 

I think any solution that doesn't include ending the war on drugs and the privatization of prisons is moot. They're inherently intertwined. 

• Like 5

No words.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-george-floyd-challenge-and-how-a-handful-of-racist-idiots-went-viral?ref=home

Wednesday morning, a Change.org petition circled the internet calling to “Have TikTok remove any content involving the ‘George Floyd challenge!!’” The page featured a disturbing layout collage, cropped to reveal only the bottom two photos. In each, two white guys mugged for the camera, as one knelt on the other’s neck—both mocking the murder of George Floyd, who died after a Minneapolis cop knelt on his windpipe for eight minutes and 46 seconds. By that evening, the petition passed its goal of 5,000 signatures. The new goal is now 7,500.

“There is a challenge currently ‘popular’ on the app TikTok,” the petition claimed. “It’s called the ‘George Floyd challenge’. It shows teens (white teens) kneeling on the neck of another teen and with a big smile on their face. This is a racist, inhumane challenge and needs to be deleted from TikTok IMMEDIATELY!!!”

In the past few days, several images of the “George Floyd Challenge” made their way across Twitter and Facebook, prompting callouts from the musician Ciara, among others, and articles from dozens of media outlets. “Social media cracks down on sick challenge mocking George Floyd’s death,” a New York Post headline read. “George Floyd Challenge on social media called ‘hateful,’ disgusting,” read another on Channel 2 KUTV from Salt Lake City. “Don’t Participate in the George Floyd Challenge,” said a third on Distractify. 

But what the petition and several articles overlooked is that there is not a George Floyd Challenge on TikTok. There is a hashtag #georgefloydchallenge, which has been viewed a collective 36.6K times. But it has been used on just 28 videos, all of which openly supported the past week’s protests, while condemning the challenge itself. 

The one platform where the challenge did find support was, to absolutely no one’s surprise, 4chan’s /pol/ message board. One user asked, “How do we make the George Floyd Challenge go even more viral? Ridicule and zoomers are our very best weapons against this global madness of mass virtue signalling.” When Know Your Meme added an entry on the trend Wednesday evening, a moderator noted, “While many expressed outrage at the challenge, it is unclear if it was truly widespread or an effort to create liberal outrage started by anonymous users on 4chan’s /pol/ board.”

But the so-called trend did not emerge from thin air. The cropped illustration in the Change.org petition, among the most widely-shared graphics of the challenge, features photos of four Challenge attempts. There are at least four more documented instances, including three photos and a grotesque video. An eighth picture, featuring two white teens laughing in a bunk bed, is also frequently found in posts about the challenge. The latter image is wildly racist (the caption reads: “if we kept them as slaves this would of never happened [sic]”), but does not mention or depict the “George Floyd challenge.” 

Spoiler

If eight images makes for a viral challenge, the meme’s origins date back at least to May 27th, when a Washington wrestling coach named Dave Hollenbeck posted an image imitating Floyd’s death on Facebook. The image shows Hollenbeck facedown, with a knee in his back, which he claimed was intended as a “defense” of police officers. He was fired from the Bethel School District the next day. The coach did not call his stunt the “George Floyd challenge,” or connect it to any broader trend. 

The following day, two construction workers from East Bethel, Minnesota, texted a photo in the same pose, along with the message, “Ivan said he can fully breathe with all my weight on his neck,” according to screenshots. When the photo later leaked and the men were identified, both were fired from their jobs at Shade Tree Construction. The business’ owner announced their terminations in a post to Facebook, acknowledging that one of the two involved was his son. The workers did not identify their photo as part of a challenge. According to Know Your Meme, however, a user shared the photo to /pol/ on a since-archived thread, with the caption “Do the Floyd Challenge.”

On May 29, two more photos emerged, both taken on Snapchat. One of them, variously identified as from the Chardon, Ohio, or Chicago areas, featured the caption, “George Floyd Challenge.” The other, taken by three U.K. teenagers, read “police brutality.” The latter photo caught the attention of local police in Northumbria, U.K., who arrested the three teens—two aged 19, the other age 18—on Sunday, calling the photo a “hate crime.” 

“We can confirm we are investigating after an image was shared on social media which showed two men imitating the recent death of US citizen George Floyd,” an officer told the Daily Mail. “They have since been released on bail. We understand that this social media post has caused significant upset and we want to reassure the public it is being investigated robustly and is being treated as a hate crime.” Northumbria police did not respond to requests for further comment. 

The U.K. arrest spurred its own media coverage, which, in turn, amplified the challenge’s visibility. When the Daily Mail covered the arrest, classmates of the students submitted a photo and video of two similar stunts. On May 31, Twitter user @GloriaRabson re-shared the U.K. image, alongside the unrelated bunk bed photo, and another “Challenge” picture, to call attention to the “trend.” Users identified several of the subjects in the replies, but none responded to requests for comment (this piece may be updated to reflect their responses).

Like the Momo Challenge, a famously overblown meme that spurred panic among parents, the “George Floyd Challenge” garnered far more attention from the outcry than anything put out in its name. But unlike Momo, a wholesale fabrication, the George Floyd Challenge has roots, not only in a handful of real events, but in the same kind of ugliness that these protests are pushing against. That’s why it’s easy to believe. 

200603-hitt-floyd-tease_ack2rx

Guest Lobo
13 hours ago, Underdog said:

What I picture an Assistant to the Asst. VP at a bank would look like. 

As someone who was almost Associate Vice President of his bank, I take offense to this! \

And that Floyd challenge thing above is so beyond fucked up.  But then I looked at the two dumbasses in the lower right corner playing this racist game to the bottom.  And I realized, "Probably a reason why their careers have peaked at roll-off trash technician."  Have fun dying poor with a fat wife you idiots. 

Edited by Lobo

1 minute ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I think any solution that doesn't include ending the war on drugs and the privatization of prisons is moot. They're inherently intertwined. 

Este. Reschedule weed and completely legalize it. The same with some others. That alone will remove a massive amount of leverage from the cops. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’ll also add that since the civil rights movement, the core of the right wing is racism.   Everything is built from that.  Voter suppression, gerrymandering, tax cuts for rich, trickle down eco, large penalties for small drug offenses, support for crooked cops etc etc etc.  It’s built to control populations. 
Many like Drew grew up in it, then hide behind someone elses military service so they can foster all those ideas.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, DigDug said:

Good that he apologized, but his tone deafness about the protests and his intentional blindness and disregard for the current state of affairs will not be forgotten. 
His apology is spin control, his disregard was from the heart.

definitely I agree 100%. This is his agent and/or PR team in crisis mgmt mode. It's also amazing how badly he hurt his image in NOLA where he WAS the most popular person there for quite some time.

Guest Lobo

and ruin the flag of the army that was "War of Northern Aggression:  Runner Up"???

For shame.  It's not about hate, it's not about heritage, it's about being a below-average success in life.  

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

definitely I agree 100%. This is his agent and/or PR team in crisis mgmt mode. It's also amazing how badly he hurt his image in NOLA where he WAS the most popular person there for quite some time.

You know also, he’s been in the league a long time.  When he started, they didn’t normally come out on the field for the anthem. 
The Department of Defense paid the NFL to have teams out there and the anthem broadcast all the time during the regular season.  It was a manufactured event.  

I’m a veteran myself, I knew from the jump what the protests were about.  I listened to Kaepernick, I listened to Nate Boyer, I didn’t listen to made up stories where they were trying to disrespect my fellow vets. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SameSame said:

You know also, he’s been in the league a long time.  When he started, they didn’t normally come out on the field for the anthem. 
The Department of Defense paid the NFL to have teams out there and the anthem broadcast all the time during the regular season.  It was a manufactured event.  

I’m a veteran myself, I knew from the jump what the protests were about.  I listened to Kaepernick, I listened to Nate Boyer, I didn’t listen to made up stories where they were trying to disrespect my fellow vets. 

As a former NFL season ticket holder, you're 100% right that the anthem process was recently changed around 2010 or so. 

Previously the teams were not on the field and they played the national anthem when the crowd was relatively sparse. Especially for noon kick-offs when most people get in their seats at the last second. AFTER the anthem, you would have the team introductions, fireworks, cheerleaders cheering, etc. I believe the TV broadcast normally switched to the stadium announcers basically as this last segment was ending since the kick-off would occur within a minute or two.

Then the DoD paid and/or the NFL wanted to the players to look more patriotic so they pushed the national anthem back to just before kick-off. Which anyone should have realized was giving the players a prime spot to stage a protest. The NFL wanted the players to look more patriotic to sell more "salute the troops" gear. Nothing says patriotism like selling a $5 cost camo jersey for $100.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

Este. Reschedule weed and completely legalize it. The same with some others. That alone will remove a massive amount of leverage from the cops. 

I'm all for it as the drug was has been bullshit from the beginning and overwhelmingly does more harm than good.  But look at the videos coming out from LA and we see that it isn't the answer to police brutality per se. 

On 6/2/2020 at 8:43 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

All I can say is congratulations to @Anastasis @maninblack, and all the burn it down bois. You’ve really got to be thrilled with how this is going:

Well it's obvious they care more about stupid public institutions than private ones. Arm yourself against both factions of collectivists.

Don’t forget about these cunts. 

Bryan told police McMichael said "f***ing n***er" after three blasts from McMichael's shotgun left Arbery dead in February the streets of the Satilla Shores neighborhood, Assistant Special Agent in Charge Richard Dial said. 

Body camera footage also showed a Confederate flag sticker on the toolbox of McMichael's truck, Dial said.

At one point, Arbery was heading out of the Satilla Shores neighborhood where the defendants live, but the McMichaels forced him to turn back into the neighborhood and run past Bryan, the agent said. That is when he struck Arbery, Dial said, and Arbery kept running with the McMichaels in pursuit.

Edited by 4th&Five

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Anastasis out here cosplaying a Southern Congressman from the 1850s.

15 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Master race!!

• Like 1

Guest Lobo
12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Multiple battalions and brigades just to protect our biggest piece of shit. 

4500 is not multiple brigades.  And we don't really use brigades anymore.  But I get your point.  

What one person sees as a show of force, most of us see as a sign of cowardice.  That's the thing about bullies and cowards, they are always one in the same...but some see their force posture as a sign of strength.  This is the most cosmetic example of the difference between the 25% of U.S. adults that worship at the altar of Trump and the rest of us.  Those troops smack of Trump's fear...not his gravitas.

4 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

101195334_1216632735388177_1578313735825

nra-3-1-567x400.jpg

An embarrassed National Rifle Association says it totally forgot to do the one thing it has been saying for years it is solely there to do.

“Our whole reason for lobbying for looser gun laws and amassing huge personal arsenals of weapons these past years was so that we could ensure the security of a free state and protect the people from an oppressive government. And then it actually happened, and the whole rising up against a tyrannical government thing just totally slipped our minds, which is a little embarrassing,” a sheepish NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre said.

https://www.theshovel.com.au/2020/06/04/nra-accidentally-forgets-to-rise-up-against-tyrannical-government/

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

President Pussy is scared of black people protesting 

Black people ?  The vast majority protesting in our city have been white, student, types.  It's been like 80-20 which basically represents the demographic make up.

23 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Bryan told police McMichael said "f***ing n***er" after three blasts from McMichael's shotgun left Arbery dead in February the streets of the Satilla Shores neighborhood, Assistant Special Agent in Charge Richard Dial said. 

Body camera footage also showed a Confederate flag sticker on the toolbox of McMichael's truck, Dial said.

The sticker is about STATES RIGHTS, not racism!   

"Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition."

-Alexander Stephens, Vice President of the Confederacy.

But by all means lets keep up monuments to these scumbags.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I'm all for it as the drug was has been bullshit from the beginning and overwhelmingly does more harm than good.  But look at the videos coming out from LA and we see that it isn't the answer to police brutality per se. 

Agreed. It won't change the brutality. Taking money out of the pension to pay for it and removing qualified immunity might be more effective, but it will take away one of their favorite tools to empower the brutality. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Black people ?  The vast majority protesting in our city have been white, student, types.  It's been like 80-20 which basically represents the demographic make up.

this is what should really scare the establishment. black people protest, i mean, whatever, they've been doing this for 60 years. problem is that now white people are starting to understand and sympathize, and, more importantly, act.

• Like 1