Minneapolis is Burning

F250

So, the WSJ has a great piece on inflection points that occur when a series of crises converge, pointing to 1968 and 1979 as examples.

But I read this comment, and it knocked me over and took my breath away:

George HoffmanSUBSCRIBER
4 days ago
I served in Vietnam (31 May 1967 - 31 May 1968) and I did the last two years of my enlistment in California. So the historical sign posts mentioned in this essay are relevant, because you can't know where you're going if you don't know where you've been. But I get the queasy feeling I'm driving down a highway without a map only three months into this crisis what with protest, rioting, looting and insurrection in the streets: 40 million people out of work and over 100,000 fallen from the pandemic. The era of the Vietnam War, as chaotic and disorienting as that was, pales with what is happening to our country now. I find consolation with a poet rather than a politician, Matthew Arnold, who lamented in "Stanzas from a Grande Chartreuse" struggling with his faith, he felt he was"wandering between two worlds, one dead, the other powerless to be born." The country is going through a profound spiritual crisis as I did serving as a medical corpsman in the war. Sorry, I have no answers.

The line of the poem just blew me away.

My wife and I discussed it, and it of course turned to matters of faith. From her: “of course...we are Easter people. For the resurrection to happen, there had to be death. And what we forget is that in that moment, after the death on Good Friday, there was no guarantee that Easter would come. The apostles were frightened, alone, and doubtful. All they had was faith, faith that after Good Friday, an Easter would come. The common thread is always faith, and belief that something better will come.”

I don’t share her faith much of the time. But I’m glad she shares it with me.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:
1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:
Look at this fucking dork. Just fucking look at him. My god, what a weak, scared looking little bitch.

That's less surprising than it should be, even though it's still pretty jarringly awful. If they're coming out and saying stuff like this, something's working, though.

Explicit advocacy of terrorism.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm getting to the point that I'm not moved by any 15 second clip of a situation. regardless of the apparent storyline. There is rarely context added to the video. Absolutely there is wrong that can be on display in 15 seconds but why not show a larger clip. It's doubtful there isn't more video Or the person posting it should provide more background of what occurs before and afterwards.

Is that the officer's bag they're trying to take? Did he take that bag from someone? I can't get on board with a physical altercation with a cop unless someone can show he did something else.

I also raise my eyebrows when someone is wearing a ski mask in what I assume is Austin in the summer. 13 second mark. 

No context in the video. It was posted without even a location. Just "enjoy the spectacle of chaos."

I know some of you have seen this, and some haven't.  It's a year old and uncanny how they picked Minneapolis and their police union for part of the expose.   Explains a lot of the problems. 

NSIAP.   This thread moves so fast and it's probably already here, and props to any who have already posted.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mapache said:

I was curious about what sparked this massacre. The Tulsa race riots in two minutes

"On the morning of May 30, 1921, a young black man named Dick Rowland was riding in the elevator in the Drexel Building at Third and Main with a woman named Sarah Page. The details of what followed vary from person to person. Accounts of an incident circulated among the city’s white community during the day and became more exaggerated with each telling.

Tulsa police arrested Rowland the following day and began an investigation. An inflammatory report in the May 31 edition of the Tulsa Tribune spurred a confrontation between black and white armed mobs around the courthouse where the sheriff and his men had barricaded the top floor to protect Rowland. Shots were fired and the outnumbered African Americans began retreating to the Greenwood District." 

https://www.tulsahistory.org/exhibit/1921-tulsa-race-massacre/

The massacre began over Memorial Day weekend after 19-year-old Dick Rowland, a black shoeshiner, was accused of assaulting Sarah Page, the 17-year-old white elevator operator of the nearby Drexel Building.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_massacre

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Meanwhile they have projectiles and tear gas they are firing at people’s heads from point blank range.

When they tweet shit like this do they think it’s going to get people to feel sorry for them? I’m sorry someone threw a white claw at you as you bashed their brains in with a club.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Meanwhile they have projectiles and tear gas they are firing at people’s heads from point blank range.

When they tweet shit like this do they think it’s going to get people to feel sorry for them? I’m sorry someone threw a white claw at you as you bashed their brains in with a club.

Yeah unfortunately it does get sympathy from plenty of non-thinkers.

I'm supposed to be horrified that police have cans thrown at then when police are firing high-speed projectiles at people. 

This thread moves quickly, but it's also the way the  citizens are treated as they are trying to perform their jobs including those classified as essential. This fellow got arrested. I followed up, he was later released and did not have to appear for a summons, but they don't ever give him a chance to show his "papers" or anything. Below the original video there is a longer one in the replies if you click on her account.

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Because of course...

I saw on right leaning forums that they are treating his actions like a hero. Who in their sanest moments thinks that waving an active chainsaw at people protesting is okay? Who thinks that BLM in particular is supposed to be the recipient of that kind of behavior? No! Chainsaws are for shrubbery and horror flicks not city streets. If this is the GOP idea of a noteworthy accomplishment, then they are a buncha sicko lunatics.

4 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

NBC so:

"FAKE NEWS! "

Going to be interested to see how this gets spun in the next two days.

Any decent human being would celebrate this demonstration and use it as an opportunity to bring about positive change in our country.

It’s just such an easy layup for any politician to gain appeal and win the hearts and minds of citizens.

But he’ll see only an opportunity to divide us further. It’s the only playbook he knows...hell, it got him elected.

NBC so:
"FAKE NEWS! "
Going to be interested to see how this gets spun in the next two days.

That looks bigger than his inauguration crowd...all of these marches together are many times that crowd.

It sure as shit looks bigger than any POS shitheel Trump rally. Fuck that fuck. Get outta our house.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That looks bigger than his inauguration crowd...all of these marches together are many times that crowd.

It sure as shit looks bigger than any POS shitheel Trump rally. Fuck that fuck. Get outta our house.

Contrast these (real) protests with those staged reopening protests a few weeks ago. Those drew a couple hundred idiots in big cities. These are drawing similar crowds in small towns and tens of thousands in large cities. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I’m not seeing any of the usual suspects in the DT thread express their support of these millions of peaceful protesters across the country. It’s almost as if it’s only a throwaway phrase appended to “but these thugs and looters can get fucked.”

My favorite was Johnny Sack stopping by to make one post to remind everyone that the Obama administration used drones on American citizens in 2011.

Trump's methods have awoken a lot of Americans to injustice and need for reform in a lot of areas.  The BLM is the most obvious one, so let's start there, implement reform...then progress to the next issue.   Pick one: Wealth/Income disparity, Healthcare, Criminal Justice (which should be addressed with BLM), education reform, Climate Change, et al.   

We need change, we need it soon.  We have been lulled and duped over the past 60 years by corporate America into trusting DC to do the right things by us.   To correct their greedy/nefarious actions quickly is going to be hard to do.    Maybe this is the start.   

We as a nation are waking up to the fact that the presidency can't be filled with a reality TV star.  That we need to pay attention to all these crooks who are elected and the crooks they surround themselves with.  We are beginning to think that yes, our vote can make a difference.  These huge numbers are giving hope to that idea.

19 minutes ago, SameSame said:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Any decent human being would celebrate this demonstration and use it as an opportunity to bring about positive change in our country.

It’s just such an easy layup for any politician to gain appeal and win the hearts and minds of citizens.

But he’ll see only an opportunity to divide us further. It’s the only playbook he knows...hell, it got him elected.

I'm sure he's rounding up the usual suspects: Stephen's on the phone with the various groups he's kept in contact with since his Stormer/Breitbart days, Hannity has already been contacted, the press secretary is working her angle, and the whole time Trump is yelling for someone to DO SOMETHING! Given the removal of troops from Germany, Putin will menace as a distraction so the US will need to go back (or something along those lines).

The twitter tags have been relentless by the bots this week. However, some of our allies (or former allies--thanks Trump) have been coming to the rescue worldwide to turn them back.

2 minutes ago, AbeFroman said:

Vidor & Southlake together, now you know you in trouble 

All that's left is a BLM anti police brutality protest outside the Koffee Kup Kafe in Hico. If that happens it might start snowing tomorrow. 

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1