Minneapolis is Burning

F250

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So let's make it right." Do something about it. (with bt's correction)

I hope so, Brisket. They tried to tell us in the 60's and 70's but seems like the window got yanked back over to the L&O far right with the "wilding teens" (NYC), Bloods & Crips (LA) and crack babies and nine year old drug peddlers (Chicago). We cannot let this continue.

19 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I’ve thought a lot about the TV/Hollywood aspect of this lately, especially with the random cop show shout outs.  About our cultural attraction to cop shows, the glamorization and how that possibly helped us to this current state of public servants as privileged celebrities.  I mean the same could be said of politicians, but the whole thing is just weird.  

In hindsight, it appears as propaganda doesn't it? Combined with the nationwide media blitz I mentioned above in replying to Brisket, and considering all the machinations in Central and South America during those years, is it any wonder why I'm beginning to wish for a small room containing Edwin Meese and Bill Barr with people looking the other way while I administer my own department of justice? Thinking of Barr's view of law enforcement and what he spoke to them in his speech recently (never mind Trump's speech in Minneapolis, Barr has the real weight here), you know a lot of what he soaked up in his tenure working on domestic policy in 82 through 83 and then later in '89 under Bush Sr. influences the law and order mantra we see today. I've never met him, maybe I'm completely wrong about him, but he totally strikes me as the genteel WASPY version of the sheriff from Mississippi Burning. Smirks because he never gets his hands dirty.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
correction

I read the Face The Nation transcript. Barr was being very cagey. (sorry for being on such a Barr vendetta this week, he got on my last nerve) I was reading on the ag site and they were complimenting him for showing the journalist up for trying to trap him. How can they believe he is truthful?

If I'm sitting on a jury and a cop is proven to have lied (under oath), I am going to be suspicious of every thing that comes out of that officer's mouth from then on. Moreso than I would the defendant even. That is how I view Barr. He knew exactly what happened and exactly what they did.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I’ve thought a lot about the TV/Hollywood aspect of this lately, especially with the random cop show shout outs.  About our cultural attraction to cop shows, the glamorization and how that possibly helped us to this current state of public servants as privileged celebrities.  I mean the same could be said of politicians, but the whole thing is just weird.  

when you're young, you are told police officers are to protect you from bad guys, and bad guys are, well, bad.  so they're the good guys.  in tv shows and movies, cops are often in the right place at the right time, so they're able to thwart crime, or actually protect people from bad guys.

that job description is closer to what superheroes (not real) do, instead of police (real).  even the 'good' cops don't really spend any time fighting crime, it's just not part of their actual job description.  it took decades of legal battles here to keep them from losing their jobs to stationary cameras at red lights.

2 hours ago, 406W30th said:

Seriously – who the hell likes talking to or even seeing a cop? 

When you need some moonshine or weed. Cops always have the best moonshine, and weed at their disposal....  Just have to find the right cop...

It's worse today. Cops are all tatted up (not a swipe at tats, I'm a fan), quasi military, wanna be types in swat riot gear, and looking for trouble it seems.  

They have a definite attitude problem being that they believe they have absolute authority over you, and can dictate to you what you will, and won't do beyond just law enforcement.  They don't like being questioned, and will step up their aggression when you do it.

It's time for a new model.  I don't know the mechanics of it, but it starts with taking away power from the police forces around the country.

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I had to look that up, because I didn't remember it -- that case was crazy.

My dad worked with one of the them a few years ago.  He would tell stories about fucking with people just for the sake of it.   Some man's kid remarked how they beat him in court, and the cop retorted "I got paid overtime to be here, Did you?  Oh and your dad still got arrested."

57 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’ve watched the video and it’s very clear who the THUGS are.  

The timeline reconstruction of smartphone vids is very impressive. Thanks wapo 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Detectives Sipowicz and Simone routinely threatened violence and/or administered it to get confessions. NYPD Blue is one of the best shows ever on tv, but i admit that watching late night reruns nowadays, i do take a different look at those scenes. 

of course, they always had the right guy so it was justified 🙄

A half century ago, on my first trip to Germany as a dense, myopic  tenth grader (yeah I know), I couldn't help but see how glaringly different the municipal police were compared to our lovely LAPD.  They were friendly, non intimidating , and actually helpfully interceded when it was obvious we were lost.  That, and how much better their beer was...

Edited by otisdog
  • Like 1

My brother got an associate's degree in criminal justice, including tons of ride alongs,  in the mid 90's and then did not apply anywhere to be a cop. I asked him why. He said, "I wanted to become a cop to help people. That is not what cops do any more."

He said he had a class where the instructor said you have to be a total dumb ass to get in legal trouble as a cop, but if you do this is how to get out of it, and spent the entire class going through the greatest hits, you hear all the time from cops when incidents occur that get publicity, on how to muddy the waters so you were unlikely to get in lasting trouble. 

Edited by Jhawkmvp
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, Jhawkmvp said:

My brother got an associate's degree in criminal justice, including tons of ride alongs,  in the mid 90's and then did not apply anywhere to be a cop. I asked him why. He said, "I wanted to become a cop to help people. That is not what cops do any more."

He said he had a class where the instructor said you have to be a total dumb ass to get in legal trouble as a cop, but if you do this is how to get out of it, and spent the entire class going through the greatest hits, you hear all the time from cops when incidents occur that get publicity, on how to muddy the waters so you were unlikely to get in lasting trouble. 

Guessing you don't feel any fear of seeing cops where you are right now. 

White guy
Not from the neighborhood
Former security guard

St. Paul man wore stolen police gear after helping to torch 3rd Precinct, charges say

Sarah Horner
PUBLISHED: June 8, 2020 at 5:53 p.m. | UPDATED: June 8, 2020 at 7:43 p.m.
Categories:Crime & Police, News

A St. Paul security guard was wearing stolen police gear when he was arrested Wednesday, six days after he’s accused of helping to burn down the Minneapolis Police Department’s 3rd Precinct during riots following the death of George Floyd.

Branden Michael Wolfe, 23, was fired June 3 from his security job at Menards on University Avenue after the store learned of social media reports that identified him as a participant in the May 28 rioting.

A Menards employee called police after Wolfe tried to enter the store later that day wearing stolen body armor and a law enforcement duty belt and carrying a police baton, according to a complaint filed Monday in U.S. District Court.

St. Paul police found him in a vehicle several miles from the store, still wearing the body armor and duty belt, which was affixed with handcuffs, a baton, a knife and an ear piece. His name was handwritten on duct tape attached to the back of the body armor, according to the complaint.

In a police interview, Wolfe admitted he stoked the 3rd Precinct fire by pushing a wooden barrel into the flames.

He also reportedly admitted to stealing several items from inside and identified himself in multiple photographs that showed a man standing in front of the East Lake Street precinct holding a police baton as the building burned behind him.

Police searched Wolfe’s St. Paul apartment and found several items belonging to Minneapolis police, including a riot helmet, 9 mm magazine, police radio and police drug overdose kit, charges say.

Wolfe was charged in federal court Monday with aiding and abetting arson.

Anyone with information about the 3rd Precinct fire or business fires in the Twin Cities can call 1-888-ATF-TIPS, email ATFTips@atf.gov or submit information anonymously via ReportIt.com.

The FBI also is looking for people who “may have incited or promoted violence of any kind.” Anyone with digital material or tips can call 1-800-CALLFBI or submit images or videos at FBI.gov/violence.

3489270f6ba16886971b4a67950fe036.jpg
  • Like 1

Just thinking how things have changed over time and how this death seems different.  Remember on the Shag, there was a separate board, Bernard, just for police shitbaggery?  I actually waded over to the shag and of course that MAGAt psycho Badmofo has deleted every thread from that sub.   

Im trying to recall, but what was the impetus of creating the Bernard board and not just posting those threads in the Cloak Room?

Edited by Ted Lange

Never heard of this story of Elijah McClain. 23 yr old black man killed by Aurora Police a few months ago while walking home. Dude would spent his free time playing music for homeless kittens.
Video of part of the incident is below. One of the cops is caught on camera telling another cop to cover their body camera. Nobody charged, nobody suspended, all officers still on the job. 
[/url]  

EZ3jcXTWAAIw21N?format=png&name=medium

Video of the incident:

More attention needs to be given to this.
  • Like 2

Guest Lobo
3 minutes ago, Bojack said:

Where's the outrage over the tires that were slashed by Chicago gangs this weekend?  

Are you fucking serious?  You don't understand the difference?  

4 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

This is how I thought of cops.  And it was reenforced by my time in Boy Scouts.  Cops were the good guys.

Then I started working in the restaurant industry.  Fun fact: Waitresses date a lot of cops, because cops work late shift and often drink in the same after hours bars.  Another interesting tid bit: A lot cops beat the shit out out of their girlfriends or are stalker assholes that hide behind the thin blue line when people speak up. I don’t know how many times I heard a waitress or stripper say “Don’t date a cop, you can never leave the relationship until they are done.” And that’s just scratching the surface.  Party with cops a few times and it is an eye opening experience.  

And I’m a white person of extreme privilege.  I understand now why the Latino chefs used to clear out of house parties when the cops showed up. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

The average beat cop wasn't hyper-militarized.  There's a reason Barney Fife only got to carry one bullet on "The Andy Griffith Show".  

Things started to change in the 1980s when surplus military goods started being transferred to local PD departments.

Don't kid yourself.  To quote an NPR interviewee, there was no "golden age of policing."  They've always been shitheads.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Just thinking how things have changed over time and how this death seems different.  Remember on the Shag, there was a separate board, Bernard, just for police shitbaggery?  I actually waded over to the shag and of course that MAGAt psycho Badmofo has deleted every thread from that sub.   

Im trying to recall, but what was the impetus of creating the Bernard board and not just posting those threads in the Cloak Room?

The poster named Bernard hated cops.  He was always posting about cop shitheel behavior.

It was more the humor of "Bernard" than cop vitriol.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Don't kid yourself.  To quote an NPR interviewee, there was no "golden age of policing."  They've always been shitheads.

I'm not "kidding myself".  If you're so arrogant as to deny me my own experience in two vastly different settings, then you're welcome to fuck off.

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

when you're young, you are told police officers are to protect you from bad guys, and bad guys are, well, bad.  so they're the good guys.  in tv shows and movies, cops are often in the right place at the right time, so they're able to thwart crime, or actually protect people from bad guys.

that job description is closer to what superheroes (not real) do, instead of police (real).  even the 'good' cops don't really spend any time fighting crime, it's just not part of their actual job description.  it took decades of legal battles here to keep them from losing their jobs to stationary cameras at red lights.

I've been sitting here and mulling this over. For some children in this country, that is a paradox. I mean, you're right and I knew this, but every time it just smacks me hard in the face.

"When you're young, you are told police officers are to protect you from bad guys, and bad guys are, well, bad. So they're the good guys."

Except what if that is what your teacher says, but you saw Uncle Joey get cuffed and taken away by the police officers. Does that mean Uncle Joey is bad? Then there was that time Dad got pulled over and the police were talking mean to him even though he hadn't done anything. Or the teacher that remarks off hand about the low expectation of the student in her class because he comes from the trailer park and therefore is going to be trouble. Or the white parents complaining about the district wanting to bus the children in the mostly minority subsidized housing to their suburban campus to have a balanced socioeconomic demographic because those "kids are thugs." (sweatergawd that was in an email I received when on a zoning committee. It was one of the nicer ones).

Fox News got people riled up like John Brown is going to be knocking on their door, but maybe he should be. Wake up America, this is reality.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Geezus Christ you're salty.

Well, don't tell people that what they witnessed isn't what they witnessed and maybe they won't be so salty.  Everybody around here is a fucking genius and grand observer of all humanity, all the time.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, don't tell people that what they witnessed isn't what they witnessed and maybe they won't be so salty.  Everybody around here is a fucking genius and grand observer of all humanity, all the time.

What did you witness?  That cops weren't militarized?   It's part of the problem, it's not the only problem.  In fact, it's mostly symbolic of a deeper, older problem.

Because your post contained zero clear personal experience or anecdote, I didn't realize I was shitting on your personal experience.

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

It was just rallying from the mob thinking there was enough police violence that we needed a separate board for all the threads. 

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

What did you witness?  That cops weren't militarized?   It's part of the problem, it's not the only problem.  In fact, it's mostly symbolic of a deeper, older problem.

Because your post contained zero clear personal experience or anecdote, I didn't realize I was shitting on your personal experience.

I've already explained my position.  I have no interest in elaborating, other than to reiterate that I have experienced two distinct expressions of law enforcement in the 1970s, for years and years, and by my observation, things were different then.  You don't have to take my word for it, but you sure shouldn't imply that I am kidding myself.

I just get really fucking tired of the surly know-it-all perspective that never fucking ends.  Yeah, I know.  I'm guilty too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've already explained my position.  I have no interest in elaborating, other than to reiterate that I have experienced two distinct expressions of law enforcement in the 1970s, for years and years, and by my observation, things were different then.  You don't have to take my word for it, but you sure shouldn't imply that I am kidding myself.

I just get really fucking tired of the surly know-it-all perspective that never fucking ends.  Yeah, I know.  I'm guilty too.

I missed the backstory, I was just responding to the post.  Hazards of the board.

6 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Definitely.  I have enjoyed reading police procedurals (Bosch, Robicheaux) for a long time.  I'm burning through the last 10 years of Robicheaux novels at present.  I still enjoy reading them, but reading of the wrongheaded moralism of the main characters takes some of the fun out of it.  And Burke's Robicheaux is a bleeding heart in every other aspect.

But it's a pretty simple deal, without further analysis, criminals are "bad," and cops catch criminals, so they're "good."  Just like cowboys and indians, it's never so binary or simple.

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

yeah as Twice said there it came from the poster Bernard. I totally have forgotten about that. wow. there we so many instances over and over again that we all bitched and moan to the bobs for the new board and we got it. i honestly don't remember if we posted more or less due to that change. 

for the life of me if you asked me to somehow quantify how bad this problem is i wouldn't be able to find words. there were weeks were we were all in the Bernard forum chatting on all kinds of shit. at one point (pre-Bernard forum) we would have 5 of the top 10 threads on police assholery. it was astonishing. 

Bernard hated all police, no questions asked. eh. 

Bernard

Edited by staboner

Guessing you don't feel any fear of seeing cops where you are right now. 

I live in South Korea right now.  People don't fear the police here. The police don't fear the populace. The crime rate is extremely low.  If you own guns, the police keep them and you come check them out to go hunting, target shooting, etc. then check them back in.  Most police don't carry firearms here, even in riot/protest situations. An exception to this is that airports always have armed officers with automatic weapons.  Police talk first and use force later. Police are focused on criminal matters and settling citizen disputes. Most traffic enforcement is automated. Rather than having a large central station they sprinkle many smaller stations around the community so it easier for the community to come to them and faster for them to get where they are needed.  The police force is very small compared to the U.S.A. 

I have only directly interacted with police once here. A neighbor was beating his girlfriend and would not stop, even when the building manager and my Korean neighbors asked him to stop and told him the police were on the way. Listening to the guy beat his girlfriend was pretty infuriating so I asked the manager to open the door for me, which he did (most locks are key coded and managers have a universal pass key), and I went in and stopped it by getting between them and not allowing him to hit her. Five to ten minutes later the police came and took them both away.  Afterwards one of my neighbors told me I almost got arrested because the police assumed I was the boyfriend since the victim would not leave my side and was holding onto my arm and would not let go since she was so scared of her boyfriend assaulting her again. Also, probably because as a foreigner here you are always going to be assumed to be the problem unless a Korean witness lays out why you are not since the Korean crime rate is so low and the hermit kingdom (foreigners bad) still lingers among some here.  Luckily, the police asked my Korean neighbors what the situation was before they just slapped the cuffs on me. Sadly, I heard nothing happened to the guy, which is not uncommon here as domestic violence is seen as a private matter often times, rather than legal. I ran into the abused girlfriend randomly when out shopping, with my wife, and she thanked me profusely and her coworkers thanked me as well so it must have been an issue for awhile if they knew about it. 

I really like living here when it comes to crime and the police. My biggest issues are some of the laws here are really messed up, but many of those are likely to be changed in the near future as the older generation dies off as they are mostly related to face and face saving.  

Edited by Jhawkmvp
quote added

25 minutes ago, Jhawkmvp said:

I live in South Korea right now.  People don't fear the police here. The police don't fear the populace. The crime rate is extremely low.  If you own guns, the police keep them and you come check them out to go hunting, target shooting, etc. then check them back in.  Most police don't carry firearms here, even in riot/protest situations. An exception to this is that airports always have armed officers with automatic weapons.  Police talk first and use force later. Police are focused on criminal matters and settling citizen disputes. Most traffic enforcement is automated. Rather than having a large central station they sprinkle many smaller stations around the community so it easier for the community to come to them and faster for them to get where they are needed.  The police force is very small compared to the U.S.A. 

I have only directly interacted with police once here. A neighbor was beating his girlfriend and would not stop, even when the building manager and my Korean neighbors asked him to stop and told him the police were on the way. Listening to the guy beat his girlfriend was pretty infuriating so I asked the manager to open the door for me, which he did (most locks are key coded and managers have a universal pass key), and I went in and stopped it by getting between them and not allowing him to hit her. Five to ten minutes later the police came and took them both away.  Afterwards one of my neighbors told me I almost got arrested because the police assumed I was the boyfriend since the victim would not leave my side and was holding onto my arm and would not let go since she was so scared of her boyfriend assaulting her again. Also, probably because as a foreigner here you are always going to be assumed to be the problem unless a Korean witness lays out why you are not since the Korean crime rate is so low and the hermit kingdom (foreigners bad) still lingers among some here.  Luckily, the police asked my Korean neighbors what the situation was before they just slapped the cuffs on me. Sadly, I heard nothing happened to the guy, which is not uncommon here as domestic violence is seen as a private matter often times, rather than legal. I ran into the abused girlfriend randomly when out shopping, with my wife, and she thanked me profusely and her coworkers thanked me as well so it must have been an issue for awhile if they knew about it. 

I really like living here when it comes to crime and the police. My biggest issues are some of the laws here are really messed up, but many of those are likely to be changed in the near future as the older generation dies off as they are mostly related to face and face saving.  

Yup I know from some of your other posts. I lived there for 5 years and didn't have a single interaction with a cop(lived in gangnam at the time). It actually felt like they there to help/protect(outside of the DWI stops hey had in the busier areas). Almost every foreigner I ever met there always said they felt very safe there in regards to crime/theft. I never really had to deal with the foreigner stigma since I'm ethically Korean. But I think that's changing as well since so many foreigners are going there to live/study/work/marry.  I tripped out a few times when I went to the winter olympics in Pyeongchang and would meet white foreigners whose Korean was better than their English. 

Agree with everything you said. The one part of Korean society I don't really like is how money is basically the cure all to most crimes but I guess it's the same here - just paid to lawyers.

Edited by AngryDragon
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Where is Prophet Bernard these days?

Pointing out the truth about the underlying inequities that lead to this while the demographic he inspired/s with his "Not Me, Us" campaign are leading this historical movement against police brutality.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Pointing out the truth about the underlying inequities that lead to this while the demographic he inspired/s with his "Not Me, Us" campaign are leading this historical movement against police brutality.

This truth has no meaning here. In b4 whiny Bernie Bro post.