Minneapolis is Burning

F250

27 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  Nevermind the racebaiting bullshit.  What offends me most is the abject fucking stupidity.  The video is actually a good example of the kind of situation that most people in this discussion would say "THAT'S what you need police for."  In an incident of real-time physical violence, you need the cops.  That's the fucking point -- we want police for things like this.....NOT for a jillion other calls that are NOT like this.

So, racist AND stupid and shitty at logical reasoning....that's what makes any effort at conversation with the right these days exhausting.  There's just so little intent or effort at intellectual honesty or good-faith discussion.  It's just not fucking worth it.

conservatives: when seconds count, cops are minutes away

also conservatives: look at this crime happening what will happen if there's no cops

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bernorange said:

Describes the CR to a large extent.  [serious]

I think it's all about approach, like with any other person/board/etc. If you come in here quoting Andy Ngo or OAN, people will give you shit (rightfully so.) But if you come in honestly trying to discuss issues and avoid the usual bs, I haven't seen a problem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

Debating the discussion worthiness of a troll dropping pizza faced James Woods tweets is.....not productive.

The responses on that thread are so depressing. It just harshed my BLM positive buzz. I don't see the brick heads commenting about how if it were white on black violence "ten cities would be burned" and the media would be blasting the video everywhere changing anytime soon or ever.

The legacy of thirty or forty years of the hate engine is a concrete certainty about what is true in the minds of people who are loathe to revisit any thought they've ever had. Hate of environmentalism, feminism, and anything that may cost a white person anything (where will it stop if we give in on confederate statues!?!?!?) is their religious dogma.

BLM has made their cause as palatable as anyone could want. They insist on peace and talk. The hate engine paints the movement as one big riot destroying whole cities.

James Woods posts a video of an animal beating a woman. I honestly can't quite follow his reasoning in relating that to a sneering reference to a social worker. Actually, a social worker involved with that couple (if they are a couple) might have indeed had some good result. A social worker after the beating could also have good effect.

If Woods means you need a cop, I think the video further proves that the cops generally aren't around where shit like this happens. How often do they actually stop a murder or a robbery in progress? Maybe another strategy is needed as a preventative measure rather than brute response to brutality.

But really, Woods video is the wink. The dog whistle. The brute in the video is the same guy rioting and stealing and destroying private property. The white woman is our great civilization that will be lost if white people don't prevail. They can't say this out loud because of "political correctness." They're even deprived of being able to say ni__er even though your blacks can say it all the time.

I may be too far adrift to carry this point but I'll try. 

The Seinfeld episode where NTTAWWT was born was a clever comment on the absurd necessity to make the declaration. It's absurd, because historically most Americans have indeed thought there was something wrong with homosexuality and we were then in an uncomfortable transition.

Now, you mostly see NTTAWWT used by the moralist of the right to winkingly indicate that we all really know that there is something queer about all of that, but we'll be nice until the fags all slide down the chute to hell.

Woods and the people agreeing with his perspective are so confidant that their opinions are obviously, on their face, correct that they're mystified anyone can possibly disagree. This false certainty is key in the hate game.

The ebil libs know their ways are anti-American, but they persist in them! Since we are not simply in good faith disagreement over the direction the republic should take, we must determine why the liberals act as they do. I got it, they're haters who want to enslave all of us just like they've enslaved the blacks who'd vote with us if they were smart enough to see the truth.

Libs are evil. Blacks are dull-minded pawns in game of life prone to hating the flag, our military, firemen, and everything else good that we've given them over the decades.

These righteous rightists are, for the most part, absolutely unshakable in seeing only right in their leaders and only evil in people who simply disagree. From that you get the answers on Woods' twitter. Everything is wonderful, but the media won't say it. 

TL:DR The electorate is the problem. The most destructive part of the electorate has made themselves argument proof. Depressing.

Edited by RomaVicta
Fucked up second sentence.
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

I'm sorry that someone trying to discuss the matter hurt your woke little pussy. 

In a thread about police abuse and systemic mistreatment of African Americans, you want to discuss why they are being treated equally - using stats. Did I get that right?

Are you an Asperger's sufferer?  Because that is one of two reasons why you might want to have a "discussion" about the stats in this thread.  

But let's play.  First - do you support the BLM movement generally?   You can then advance to your conclusion that the whole premise behind BLM is false. Using stats.    You already have a conclusion sport, you are just too chickenshit to state it her without some passive voice/both sides discussion cover.   I know, I know - just asking questions...

Speak up my good man.   We are desperate to hear the thought rivulets.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

In a thread about police abuse and systemic mistreatment of African Americans, you want to discuss why they are being treated equally - using stats. Did I get that right?

Are you an Asperger's sufferer?  Because that is one of two reasons why you might want to have a "discussion" about the stats in this thread.  

But let's play.  First - do you support the BLM movement generally?   You can then advance to your conclusion that the whole premise behind BLM is false. Using stats.    You already have a conclusion sport, you are just too chickenshit to state it her without some passive voice/both sides discussion cover.   I know, I know - just asking questions...

Speak up my good man.   We are desperate to hear the thought rivulets.

Actually, the thread is about the killing of Floyd and BLM protests. 

I want to discuss why they're being treated equally? No, that isn't right. 

I'll recap this real quick for you. I posted a podcast that included statistics and invited people to have an honest discussion about whether the police violence problem is about racism or a more general policing problem. 

You, being a dumbass, started attacking me as if I made definitive claims about anything and was attacking black people. Which is really curious seeing as how you said you also thought it was a race-neutral policing problem. But you were willing to "give this one to the blacks" or something equally asinine. 

What's really going on here is you think you're morally superior for not even caring about whether this is police racism or incompetence. Willful ignorance is never good, even if you're a super woke bro who's willing to so charitably give the black people this cause. You're basically a bizarro-Trumper. 

Now, tell us more about your cherished Robert E Lee portrait and how "complex" he is, you simple fool. 

23 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Actually, the thread is about the killing of Floyd and BLM protests. 

I want to discuss why they're being treated equally? No, that isn't right. 

I'll recap this real quick for you. I posted a podcast that included statistics and invited people to have an honest discussion about whether the police violence problem is about racism or a more general policing problem. 

You, being a dumbass, started attacking me as if I made definitive claims about anything and was attacking black people. Which is really curious seeing as how you said you also thought it was a race-neutral policing problem. But you were willing to "give this one to the blacks" or something equally asinine. 

What's really going on here is you think you're morally superior for not even caring about whether this is police racism or incompetence. Willful ignorance is never good, even if you're a super woke bro who's willing to so charitably give the black people this cause. You're basically a bizarro-Trumper. 

Now, tell us more about your cherished Robert E Lee portrait and how "complex" he is, you simple fool. 

See, if it is a 'general policing problem', and not 'about racism',  then you are in fact positing that blacks are being treated equally.  Equally poorly. 

You say this in the BLM protest thread - that you want to talk why it is maybe not about black lives - but just those wacky old police doing that general-policing-not-so-well stuff.  

Inviting though it is, I'll pass.          

Edited by Gatorubet

6 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

See, if it is a 'general policing problem', and not 'about racism',  then you are in fact positing that blacks are being treated equally.  Equally poorly. 

You say this in the BLM protest thread - that you want to talk why it is maybe not about black lives - but just those wacky old police doing that general-policing-not-so-well stuff.  

Inviting though it is, I'll pass.          

This seemed to me to be an appropriate thread to discuss police violence. I didn't realize I would be triggering people posing whether police killings are a threat to people of all skin colors. That you viewed my post as trying to "steal the spotlight" from the black movement is seriously warped. 

I'm sure there are people (on Texags?) posting the data and graphs to prove that BLM is bogus and "they" need to pipe down. But you shouldn't assume anyone wanting to merely discuss it has that agenda. Fuck, my post was literally asking for counterpoints to the podcast I linked. If you aren't capable of or interested in engaging in a thoughtful conversation on the topic, that's fine, but it's bullshit to accuse someone who's earnestly trying to have a discussion of taking something from black people. 

Now, back to the thread. 

• Like 1

An interesting perspective on the application of state sanctioned violence in this country.

But, when we step away from focus on racial disproportions, the glaring fact is that whites are roughly half or nearly half of all those killed annually by police. And the demand that we focus on the racial disparity is simultaneously a demand that we disattend from other possibly causal disparities. Zaid Jilani found, for example, that ninety-five percent of police killings occurred in neighborhoods with median family income of less than $100,00 and that the median family income in neighborhoods where police killed was $52,907.4 And, according to the Washington Post data, the states with the highest rates of police homicide per million of population are among the whitest in the country: New Mexico averages 6.71 police killings per million; Alaska 5.3 per million; South Dakota 4.69; Arizona and Wyoming 4.2, and Colorado 3.36. It could be possible that the high rates of police killings in those states are concentrated among their very small black populations—New Mexico 2.5%; Alaska 3.9%; South Dakota 1.9%; Arizona 4.6%, Wyoming 1.7%, and Colorado 4.5%. However, with the exception of Colorado—where blacks were 17% of the 29 people killed by police—that does not seem to be the case. Granted, in several of those states the total numbers of people killed by police were very small, in the low single digits. Still, no black people were among those killed by police in South Dakota, Wyoming, or Alaska. In New Mexico, there were no blacks among the 20 people killed by police in 2015, and in Arizona blacks made up just over 2% of the 42 victims of police killing.

What is clear in those states, however, is that the great disproportion of those killed by police have been Latinos, Native Americans, and poor whites. So someone should tell Kai Wright et al to find another iconic date to pontificate about; that 1793 yarn has nothing to do with anything except feeding the narrative of endless collective racial suffering and triumphalist individual overcoming—“resilience”—popular among the black professional-managerial strata and their white friends (or are they just allies?) these days. What the pattern in those states with high rates of police killings suggests is what might have been the focal point of critical discussion of police violence all along, that it is the product of an approach to policing that emerges from an imperative to contain and suppress the pockets of economically marginal and sub-employed working class populations produced by revanchist capitalism.

https://nonsite.org/editorial/how-racial-disparity-does-not-help-make-sense-of-patterns-of-police-violence-2

• Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

“When I realized I might have to run my offense with white guys, I realized how the t-shirt affected their hearts.”

Gundy is struggling to read the teleprompter

Edited by Bevo14

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/06/16/police-keep-using-twitter-misinformation-rumor-mongering-about-protesters/

Broader media will hopefully spend more time on this than they did on Russia posting pictures of jerk off jesus. 

Increasingly, in recent weeks, this is the story of how some police departments and organizations have handled the protests and other unrest over the May 25 killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis and others at the hands of police officers. Often using their official Twitter accounts, they have tweeted allegations without substantiation when other, less-nefarious explanations are just as plausible — and, in some cases, have turned out to actually be the case.

The Columbus, Ohio, police department on June 1 tweeted an image of a colorful bus in which it said it found “bats, rocks, meat cleavers, axes, clubs & other projectiles.” It said “there was a suspicion of supplying riot equipment to rioters.”

Columbus Ohio Police@ColumbusPolice

This bus was stopped yesterday at Broad St. & 3rd due for obstruction of traffic. There was a suspicion of supplying riot equipment to rioters.

Detectives followed up w/a vehicle search today & found: bats, rocks, meat cleavers, axes, clubs & other projectiles.

Charges pending.

4:26 PM - Jun 1, 2020 · Columbus, OH

Mayor Andrew Ginther (D) later suggested the bus showed the violence was worse than the arrest numbers indicated. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) also tweeted sarcastically: “But I guess still ‘no evidence’ of an organized effort to inject violence & anarchy into the protests right?”

AD

Mayor Andrew Ginther✔@MayorGinther

Please note: The limited arrests to this point do not reflect the significant safety concerns we have for the city. I would point to the recovery of a bus registered in Vermont filled with bats, rocks, meat cleavers and axes on Sunday night. More . . . https://twitter.com/ColumbusPolice/status/1268251237880942593 …

Reporting since then indicates the bus was, in fact, used by traveling street performers. The clubs were juggling clubs, according to those familiar with the bus. The hatchet was next to a wood-burning stove the bus used. The meat cleaver was from a knife block used to prepare meals. The rocks were crystals and fossils.

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Keystone Kop Karen

You can break down almost every psychological issue with cops these days just from this 2 minute video. It is action packed with dumbfuckery that probably infests the minds of the vast majority of police officers. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/06/16/police-keep-using-twitter-misinformation-rumor-mongering-about-protesters/

Broader media will hopefully spend more time on this than they did on Russia posting pictures of jerk off jesus. 

Increasingly, in recent weeks, this is the story of how some police departments and organizations have handled the protests and other unrest over the May 25 killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis and others at the hands of police officers. Often using their official Twitter accounts, they have tweeted allegations without substantiation when other, less-nefarious explanations are just as plausible — and, in some cases, have turned out to actually be the case.

The Columbus, Ohio, police department on June 1 tweeted an image of a colorful bus in which it said it found “bats, rocks, meat cleavers, axes, clubs & other projectiles.” It said “there was a suspicion of supplying riot equipment to rioters.”

Columbus Ohio Police@ColumbusPolice

This bus was stopped yesterday at Broad St. & 3rd due for obstruction of traffic. There was a suspicion of supplying riot equipment to rioters.

Detectives followed up w/a vehicle search today & found: bats, rocks, meat cleavers, axes, clubs & other projectiles.

Charges pending.

4:26 PM - Jun 1, 2020 · Columbus, OH

Mayor Andrew Ginther (D) later suggested the bus showed the violence was worse than the arrest numbers indicated. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) also tweeted sarcastically: “But I guess still ‘no evidence’ of an organized effort to inject violence & anarchy into the protests right?”

AD

Mayor Andrew Ginther✔@MayorGinther

Please note: The limited arrests to this point do not reflect the significant safety concerns we have for the city. I would point to the recovery of a bus registered in Vermont filled with bats, rocks, meat cleavers and axes on Sunday night. More . . . https://twitter.com/ColumbusPolice/status/1268251237880942593 …

Reporting since then indicates the bus was, in fact, used by traveling street performers. The clubs were juggling clubs, according to those familiar with the bus. The hatchet was next to a wood-burning stove the bus used. The meat cleaver was from a knife block used to prepare meals. The rocks were crystals and fossils.

"SARGE! HE'S GOT A UNICYCLE!!!" *pew pew!!!*

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

You can break down almost every psychological issue with cops these days just from this 2 minute video. It is action packed with dumbfuckery that probably infests the minds of the vast majority of police officers. 

They are humongous fucking pussies.  Play the victim while creating real victims during the "legitimate course of their duties".  FAC.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Was there someone off camera w/ a gun pointed at him?  That's the vibe I got.  He's pissed he had to apologize. 

I didn't realize that he always sounded like that. He's a good coach, but had we lured him away, I likely would have been on the Fire Mike Gundy thread after three press conferences. That should never be the voice of the University of Texas.

I hadn't been following this and was prepared to respond to Bama Chick's post wondering why we were questioning his sincerity. Then I looked up the history of the story including the Aryan Sisterhood commentator on OAN glaring at the camera as she makes a farce of logic. He went along with "Chinese Virus," too. He personifies the rightist I describe in a different thread as being absurdly confident that everybody surely agrees with him or at least recognizes that Rush Limbaugh/OAN conservatism is obviously right.

I don't know that he's any kind of a racist. His "I"m a man" tirade was in defense of a black player. His locker room dance a few years ago is also a check mark in his favor.  His workplace is aflood with black people.

He's a terrible citizen for adhering to OAN like a religion. Mostly, he seems to be a red neck who only knows fooball and chooses not thinking in every other realm. Like a lot of the 40%, there's likely a decent person in there who is almost hopelessly misguided. Bad break for the republic.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Nobody wears an OAN t-shirt because they care about others or what they think.  The real Gundy wore that shirt because he supports OAN and was too casual about it.      

Yep and I don't buy for a second that he didn't know about OAN's BLM stances.  I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts he watches OAN daily. 

He's talked about how he thinks OAN is the best news source in the past.  That's a bs excuse because it's clear he knows all about the network.  He's a Trump loving nutjob and he finally got outed as one.

Edited by kevwun

10 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yep and I don't buy for a second that he didn't know about OAN's BLM stances.  I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts he watches OAN daily. 

No one who has an OAN shirt doesn't watch it daily.  Shit, I catch a little CNN daily and I don't have a fucking shirt.  I do have an NPR shirt though (KUT).

I'd bet a day's pay that McDonald's employee was black, or at the very least Hispanic.  Lady, you did a great job revealing what black Americans go through every time they're pulled over.  Heightened anxiety, a lack of trust, fear, you name it -- how does it feel, honey?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

My fellow masochists,  please take the time to watch the worst video in the world. 

First of all, Officer Karen should probably skip the egg mcmuffins and hash browns. Just saying. Second of all, orders get fucked up all the time. She can’t even control her emotions at a McDonald’s, yet she has a fucking gun and responds to high stress situations. Awesome. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

My fellow masochists,  please take the time to watch the worst video in the world. 

What in the actual fuck?  Had it been ready right when she pulled up it would've been ok, but she's too nervous to take it because she had to wait.  Does she think they had to cook the poison before they could put it in there?  

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd bet a day's pay that McDonald's employee was black, or at the very least Hispanic.  Lady, you did a great job revealing what black Americans go through every time they're pulled over.  Heightened anxiety, a lack of trust, fear, you name it -- how does it feel, honey?

Yep, this.

You just described the fear and anxiety every person of color rightfully has when they interact with a cop....except theirs is much greater, and much more merited.  Suck it up, buttercup.  You and your culture have sown the wind for decades, and refused and resisted even the NOTION that something was wrong, and certainly any and all efforts to fix shit.  You've sown that wind, now reap the whirlwind.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep, this.

You just described the fear and anxiety every person of color rightfully has when they interact with a cop....except theirs is much greater, and much more merited.  Suck it up, buttercup.  You and your culture have sown the wind for decades, and refused and resisted even the NOTION that something was wrong, and certainly any and all efforts to fix shit.  You've sown that wind, now reap the whirlwind.

You guys anticipate my response.

Imagine instead of a McDonalds uniform, it's a police uniform. Imagine instead of coffee, it's a flashlight blinding you except for seeing the outline of officer's hand on the butt of his pistol. Instead of a public place with witnesses, imagine a city street with nobody around: no witnesses.

But she won't imagine that because under the aegis of "protecting the safety of the officer" police see themselves as potential victims and justify their every act as self-defense. 

This woman is too soft to be a crossing guard and too oblivious to operate a car let alone make a decision about who to shoot.

• Like 1