Minneapolis is Burning

F250

9 hours ago, elfenix said:

The evidence for that isn't particularly strong. He iirc exit polling indicated he pulled pretty evenly from dem/rep.

I was using that as an example of the counterarguments I hear all the time. Of course, I was 5 so I've only got textbooks and documentaries to provide a perspective for the time period. I'm of the opinion that Bush SR lost because of the whole "read my lips" deal and Reaganomics really started rearing its ugly head. Perot had fuckall to do with that. 

On 6/28/2020 at 3:07 PM, UpperWestside said:

https://nypost.com/2020/06/27/272-nypd-cops-file-for-retirement-since-floyd-protests/

Try reading that entire article without being even angrier at police by the end of it. What a bunch of entitled bitches who now can’t handle the backlash towards their shitty and racist behavior. 

I'll see your anger and raise you "but sometimes black officers commit heinous acts against black civilians therefore race has nothing to do with the problem".

9 minutes ago, Parliament said:

How did this guy earn his money?

Ummm . . . personal injury attorney?  Both of them?  I don't know what they're pulling, but I'd be shocked if it isn't $500K annual combined, and maybe a lot more.

It's St. Louis.  That McMansion probably cost him $1M.  It would be $2.5M here, in a "lesser" neighborhood.  It's not a Pemberton house.

Edited by jimmyjazz

1 minute ago, Xian said:

That wood working is amazing.   

that’s not some stupid McMansion, or 80s trump coke world, that’s a proper 100+ year old mansion. 

Hideous ??!!  Uber traditional might not be your cup of tea, but that is some straight up seriously nice architecture, and craftsmanship.  That barrel vaulted dining space is really really well executed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Hideous ??!!  Uber traditional might not be your cup of tea, but that is some straight up seriously nice architecture, and craftsmanship.  That barrel vaulted dining space is really really well executed.

I think you are quoting the wrong person?  I was saying it was not a McMansion. It’s a proper 100+ year old city estate.

Edited by Xian

9 minutes ago, Xian said:

I think you are quoting the wrong person?  I was saying it was not a McMansion. It’s a proper 100+ year old city estate.

Ahh, yeah I read what you posted, and agreed.  I just saw images of the gun wielding couple in front of the house.  It looks new to me, but those interiors are very nice.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Doesn't matter . . . it's gaudy.  And real estate in St. Louis is cheap.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but that's not gaudy, it's pretty straight up, very layered, 19th c. architectural detailing.  The woodwork and barrel vaulted ceiling are really nice details. Not a fan of the stair railing, but it looks period.

• Like 1

To back up my assertion, just go to Zillow and see what the estimated property values are for a variety of mansions in that neighborhood:

12,028 sf ($1.76M)

6,738 sf ($1.26M)

14,595 sf ($1.97M)

Those prices range from $135/sf to $186/sf.

Those houses would cost at least twice that much in Austin, and probably three times as much.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

To back up my assertion, just go to Zillow and see what the estimated property values are for a variety of mansions:

12,028 sf ($1.76M)

6,738 sf ($1.26M)

14,595 sf ($1.97M)

Those houses would cost at least twice that much in Austin, and probably three times as much.

Bentonville, Arkansas is more expensive than STL.  

STL is a fairly small and poor “city.”

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

To back up my assertion, just go to Zillow and see what the estimated property values are for a variety of mansions in that neighborhood:

12,028 sf ($1.76M)

6,738 sf ($1.26M)

14,595 sf ($1.97M)

It’s a Flyover state.  Houses are cheap.  That’s a good thing. More of America should be like that.  

Edited by Xian

1 minute ago, Xian said:

It’s a Flyover state.  Houses are cheap.  That’s a good thing. More of America should be like that.  

I was born there.  I grew up near there.  I know the city very well.  That's a REALLY nice neighborhood, it's not some bombed out Detroit-former-glory $1 per mansion place.

My point is that these jackasses may not be nearly so well off as one might assume given their house.  Attorney fees don't scale linearly with housing prices.  There is some proportionality, for sure, but it doesn't take crazy money to live in that neighborhood.

9 minutes ago, Xian said:

I disagree. Houses that size should be nearly impossible to afford. What should be cheap is reasonably sized housing. I say that as someone who owns a home with more SF than I should because they don't build houses as small as I grew up in anymore.

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I disagree. Houses that size should be nearly impossible to afford. What should be cheap is reasonably sized housing. I say that as someone who owns a home with more SF than I should because they don't build houses as small as I grew up in anymore.

How small?  San Fran has a lot of amazing old bungalows that can get pretty tiny. 

Sorry for the side track, im an old house bro. I love them. Mine was built in 1886, which is pretty old for Texas. 

i probably need to see if there is a thread in BB (or more likely “help” lol)

My first house was 980 sf, located one house north of the Enfield/MoPac intersection (NE corner).  Classic 2/1, entered the living room, dining room to the left, kitchen behind that, bed/bath/bed along the back of the house.

It was completely livable, especially for my bachelor self.  A couple with 1-2 young kids could be very happy there.  Bought it for $76K, sold it for $105K a few years later.  Thought I'd hit gold.

A discussion of Minnesota’s progressive policies, not yielding results. Their interpretation, they didn’t go far enough. Interesting.

Cunningham, who grew up in Minneapolis and served as the city’s associate schools superintendent and deputy civil rights director, said that for too long, there has been a “huge disconnect between the progressive policies that are put in place and the outcomes that they get.”

Interesting that they assume some kind of disconnect when maybe the simpler answer is that there is a connection? 🧐 🤔 🤨 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

A discussion of Minnesota’s progressive policies, not yielding results. Their interpretation, they didn’t go far enough. Interesting.

Cunningham, who grew up in Minneapolis and served as the city’s associate schools superintendent and deputy civil rights director, said that for too long, there has been a “huge disconnect between the progressive policies that are put in place and the outcomes that they get.”

Interesting that they assume some kind of disconnect when maybe the simpler answer is that there is a connection? 🧐 🤔 🤨 

The bigger answer is that any policy is a reflection of the interests of the people who drive the policy.  For a long-ass time, white progressives have been utterly clueless (at best) about the effects of their policies on minorities, and/or (at worst), they've known that the policies negatively affect minorities, but pursue them anyway because "it's good for the community as a whole."

I got to Austin 30+ years ago, didn't know a lot about the town.  I quickly learned that it characterized itself as progressive/liberal as hell....AND....that this was a shockingly segregated town (I came from Houston).  SOS and super-environmentalism was the order of the day -- a super-progressive cause (that also can have some serious discriminatory impacts).  Lots of self-congratulatory white liberals in Volvos with "visualize world peace" bumper stickers who also had contact with 1 or fewer minorities per week.  Racism, including systematic racism, is our collective sin, and it's woven through and into most systems and policy approaches we've come up with in our history.

Which is the point.  We must come up with a new and different way of looking at these things.  It's much, much deeper than just having institutionalized violent and racist police departments.  It's how we zone, how we approve (or deny) building permits, it's how we structure our schools and their funding, etc. etc.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The bigger answer is that any policy is a reflection of the interests of the people who drive the policy.  For a long-ass time, white progressives have been utterly clueless (at best) about the effects of their policies on minorities, and/or (at worst), they've known that the policies negatively affect minorities, but pursue them anyway because "it's good for the community as a whole."

I got to Austin 30+ years ago, didn't know a lot about the town.  I quickly learned that it characterized itself as progressive/liberal as hell....AND....that this was a shockingly segregated town (I came from Houston).  SOS and super-environmentalism was the order of the day -- a super-progressive cause (that also can have some serious discriminatory impacts).  Lots of self-congratulatory white liberals in Volvos with "visualize world peace" bumper stickers who also had contact with 1 or fewer minorities per week.  Racism, including systematic racism, is our collective sin, and it's woven through and into most systems and policy approaches we've come up with in our history.

Which is the point.  We must come up with a new and different way of looking at these things.  It's much, much deeper than just having institutionalized violent and racist police departments.  It's how we zone, how we approve (or deny) building permits, it's how we structure our schools and their funding, etc. etc.

I'm not sure there's anything that can overcome NIMBYism. A lot of progressive white people talk a good game until the moment an affordable housing development is about to be built next to their neighborhood.  Then they'll raise absolute hell to protect their good schools and their property values.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I'm not sure there's anything that can overcome NIMBYism. A lot of progressive white people talk a good game until the moment an affordable housing development is about to be built next to their neighborhood.  Then they'll raise absolute hell to protect their good schools and their property values.

Bingo.  Again, not an indictment against all white liberals, not even close.  Just an observation that there is absolutely a strain of ignorance and/or purposeful blindness with respect to race that runs through many progressive movements/ideas.

43 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Bingo.  Again, not an indictment against all white liberals, not even close.  Just an observation that there is absolutely a strain of ignorance and/or purposeful blindness with respect to race that runs through many progressive movements/ideas.

Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like 1