Minneapolis is Burning

F250

43 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

At least her ideology hasn't killed as many people, but she also was okay with abortion, so you might be on to something.

Well. She was a big fan of William Hickman. While Marx’s followers starved a lot of people she failed to convince disgruntled employees to (checks notes) kidnap their former employers children and hold them for ransom, then dismember and sow their eyes open in order to make it look like they are alive in order to make collection  easier.

So, even dumber and less successful? Good job Ayn Rand. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

In that case, you don’t know much about Ayn Rand. 

Not too much. Just a bit of her books, and some of her thoughts. I made sure to read (really listen) Marx to make sure I knew what his ideology was and how it still perceived today. I know more of him than her for sure.

Lol y'all responding to axiom of choice

If you downloaded all of Infowars, some of reddit, a bunch of Fox News transcripts, and some random libertarian dark-corner BBS', fed them to one of those Google AI bots that writes semi-intelligible but nonsensical movie scripts, and signed it up for Surly, it'd be indistinguishable from AOC.

The only thing worse than stupid people is stupid people who think they're really smart. "Antiwe"? The fuck kind of no-girls-allowed deep web Incel nerd bukkake forum taught you that? Damn, son.

• Like 2

It's useful to respond to people like this because it exposes their bullshit for everyone else. 

Gish gallops like Axiom ("AOC" is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and she rules) just say a bunch of shit and try to overwhelm things with big words and verbosity. If people don't point out how vacant and empty they are by pressing them for simplicity and specificity, people will think the gish gallop "won" on the merits because everyone else just shuts up.

It's how dumbshits like Ben Shapiro and Steven Crowder have careers.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SameSame said:

That is fucked up.  No telling how many times through the years he’s casually done that and not been filmed.

Anyone ever deployed went through training on searching a detainee.  Thorough and as respectful as you can be, swipe his crotch grab around and shake his belt.  Female get a female.  I would think he’s going to use some sort of excuse about drugs in her bra or something like that.

6 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Not too much. Just a bit of her books, and some of her thoughts. I made sure to read (really listen) Marx to make sure I knew what his ideology was and how it still perceived today. I know more of him than her for sure.

Rand was a complete sociopath, dumb as shit, and, perhaps worst of all, an utterly abysmal writer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DigDug said:

Anyone ever deployed went through training on searching a detainee.  Thorough and as respectful as you can be, swipe his crotch grab around and shake his belt.  Female get a female.  I would think he’s going to use some sort of excuse about drugs in her bra or something like that.

She’s got a great rack. Could be hiding something in there.

9 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Kidding aside, I'm the same way. I've read Karl Marx major work, and about as much of Ayn Rand's dreadful prose as I could stand.  There's a comparison to be made between two. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Not at all.  I think most cultures have something to offer.  But we have been down this road before.  That time you were anti-Chinese.  You are tilting at this dumbass windmill because you don't believe that black Christian capitalists are "Western" either.

I hope you aren't thinking of me?  I have questioned aspects of Chinese culture before in various threads and even started one on why they seem to have an "innovation deficit."

As a white Christian dude that was raised and educated in Texas, I admit to a certain myopia, but I came by it honestly.  And I have a sincere interest in why some cultures are the way they are and conform to certain stereotypes.  I'm especially interested in China because in some respects, it's just so damned odd.  And the fact that it was a world-dominating superpower for a long time in the past having essentially the same culture it has today.

40 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I hope you aren't thinking of me?  I have questioned aspects of Chinese culture before in various threads and even started one on why they seem to have an "innovation deficit."

As a white Christian dude that was raised and educated in Texas, I admit to a certain myopia, but I came by it honestly.  And I have a sincere interest in why some cultures are the way they are and conform to certain stereotypes.  I'm especially interested in China because in some respects, it's just so damned odd.  And the fact that it was a world-dominating superpower for a long time in the past having essentially the same culture it has today.

I recall that thread, but it wasn't that one.  It was axiom in a different thread that was primarily about God and religion. He wasn't specifically anti-Chinese. He was anti-everyone non-Western and non-Christian.  China was just the easiest counter argument because they also have a rich recorded history.

And I thought he was a Christian supremacist then rather than a racist.  

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Axiom of Choice said:

I think there is a disparity between the claim in the BLM organization’s webpage and the primary goals of the movement. 

Can you explain this disparity? For instance, what are the "primary goals of the movement" and in what way do they conflict with the desire to encourage multi-generational/communal living and child-rearing?

Specificity would be great.

Because, as far as I can see, there seems to be no conflict at all. Also, I would imagine your expertise in the beliefs of the marching protesters is limited (to put it kindly) and colored by your profound biases against those people (to also put it kindly).

2 hours ago, Axiom of Choice said:

The reason why huckleberry and you argue with me and why fondren road chimes in and tries in vain to recall some comment from 5 years ago about Asia unrelated to anything is because of ideological differences.  What occurs on on this forum is that strangers gather to spar, insult, and blow steam at ideological opponents.  There is no process occurring with next logical steps that is building towards anything beyond this.  None of the participants in this discussion are doing important work here nor were they ever going to convince the others of anything.  For me, if it is the case that BLM is working to promote marxist or anti-western ideology, then I will not like it.  You will like it.  Asking what next after dispute between ideological adversaries on such a forum is like asking what next after the cowboys and redskins play. 

I think there is a disparity between the claim in the BLM organization’s webpage and the primary goals of the movement.  Among the folks in the numerous marches across the country over the past few weeks, I think the number of people who had the thought "we should work to disrupt the western prescription of the nuclear family" is somewhere around 0.   I think there is misalignment between the goals of most involved with the movement and the goals of some of the organizers at BLM.  I think some organizers at BLM want to use the power of the movement to shoehorn in their ideological goals. 

This is the truth.  i do not like Marx at all, but he was a serious & influential philosopher.  I don't know what Ayn Rand was, but what she wrote was not philosophy.  It was just codified selfishness.  

I agree, it is a really stupid term.  Imagine if a group of people used a term like that seriously.  

Everyone on the internet thinks they win all the debates.  No amount of responses will convince them otherwise.  You probably even convinced yourself you got the better of the exchange when we discussed law of excluded middle some days ago.

You are a lawyer.  Would a witness giving these statements be considered credible or not credible? Maybe walk back your slander if you really aren't sure.  

You were anti everything non-Western culture including Chinese.  But fine, I will retract it.  Instead, tell me what you believe the role of Western culture is in the world.  

And the reason that we chimed in is that veiled bigotry is still bigotry.  Who cares if there are a handful of marxists among several BLM organizations and millions of BLM participants?  Who cares if an actual marxist started the movement?  The movement is about police brutality and equality.  You are just looking for justification to refuse supporting the actual cause.  The marxist attack is nothing more than a longwinded version of the "one guy is looting so I can't support anything the protesters want" argument.  You are capable of being better than Tucker Carlson.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

A white marxist sees no conflict in assuming his ideology is shared by black people marching against police brutality.  Shocking.

A few issues here:

- Not sure I'm actually a "Marxist". (I don't say that because I'm afraid of the label, but because I'm not actually sure it's accurate except in an emotional sense from the perspective of a conservative.)
- I have been in the crowd marching against police brutality, so I have some first-hand knowledge of what the marchers think because I literally am one. I also know many.
- I said nothing about them sharing my ideology, you're making that up in an attempt to personalize the issue so as to distract from your lack of specifics.

Of course you would assume I have limited experience with and biases towards black people. 

Who said "black people"? I said "marchers". Careful, bud, it's leaking.

If I remember correctly, with this user name you claim to be an oil and gas executive who lives in west university.  So you've probably driven around and occasionally through 3rd and 5th ward and you may have heard of south park.  Next time you are visiting your family and friends in these neighborhoods, ask around and see how many marxists you find.  

I take it back, it's not leaking, it's pouring out like a NY streets fire hydrant in summer.

Edited by bad_teammate

13 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

It's useful to respond to people like this because it exposes their bullshit for everyone else. 

Gish gallops like Axiom ("AOC" is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and she rules) just say a bunch of shit and try to overwhelm things with big words and verbosity. If people don't point out how vacant and empty they are by pressing them for simplicity and specificity, people will think the gish gallop "won" on the merits because everyone else just shuts up.

It's how dumbshits like Ben Shapiro and Steven Crowder have careers.

The fast talking Jew, and the "Change my mind," Christian are doing so well, and being heard by millions of people. They are just grifters who don't believe anything they say, or have principals.

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

The fast talking Jew, and the "Change my mind," Christian are doing so well, and being heard by millions of people. They are just grifters who don't believe anything they say, or have principals.

And yet Axiom of Choice does it for free. What an idiot.

• Haha 1

A white marxist sees no conflict in assuming his ideology is shared by black people marching against police brutality.  Shocking.

Of course you would assume I have limited experience with and biases towards black people.  That is the only hammer you have to swing and so you will swing it.  If I remember correctly, with this user name you claim to be an oil and gas executive who lives in west university.  So you've probably driven around and occasionally through 3rd and 5th ward and you may have heard of south park.  Next time you are visiting your family and friends in these neighborhoods, ask around and see how many marxists you find.  

You didn't answer his question. At all. You avoided it and played a weak straw man. Aren't you "nobody is having intelligent discourse!!!111" guy?

11 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

You didn't answer his question. At all. You avoided it and played a weak straw man. Aren't you "nobody is having intelligent discourse!!!111" guy?

These types of folks are almost always "Just asking questions guy" as well.

I said "marchers" and here's what he imagined:
- "black people"
- "3rd and 5th ward"
- "south park"

It's just open and naked racial fear.

The reality of these protest movements is that they are multi-racial and consist of dozens of different advocacy groups and thousands more who just show up without any -isms or -ists attached. Black radicals and white soccer moms in capris and Native activists and ANTIFA soyboys and DSA booknerds and Trans medics and drag queens and on and on and on and on.

The notion that the protests themselves are unideological or that those involved aren't sophisticated enough to have Marxist ideology (whether or not they call it "Marxism") is profoundly ignorant.

If someone says, "Jeff Bezos shouldn't be allowed to have $100B, that money/stock should be shared among his workers who made it possible" is that person a "Marxist"? Are they espousing Marxist ideology? Because let me tell you, that sentiment is WIDELY shared among people who don't declare any -isms/-ists and would probably reject being called a Marxist just out of social custom.

The Marxism of any BLM co-founders conflicts with NOTHING in the movement's goals and values. If I'm wrong about that, someone please tell me specifically why.

Welp. speaking of Qualified Immunity, David Godbey, who's a great guy but has been a rather disappointing federal judge (to me anyway, exceptionally "by the book" and unoriginal), just dismissed the Tony Timpa suit.

Timpa's case was quite similar to Floyd's in that he was "sat on" until he expired.  And he was a white guy.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/federal-judge-tosses-excessive-force-suit-against-five-dallas-officers-in-tony-timpa-case/2402580/

Unlike Floyd, there was ample documentation of Timpa endangering himself by running around in the middle of Mockingbird.  And he was sat upon for considerably less time than Floyd.  Still didn't deserve the death penalty.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

FR and BT, this will be my last post on this thread because I don't think this is the place for it.  

No, it's because you're an intellectual coward who can't answer questions.

That's nice.  I have also been in marching crowds against police brutality.  That really doesn't mean shit, though.  But I have been the victim of police brutality, so I have actual first hand knowledge.  How about you?

Nope.

How does the Marxism of BLM's co-founders conflict with the goals of the movement?

This may be a bit scandalous for you, but the B in BLM actually stands for black.  Black people in the US are the ones that the movement is primarily for and they have the greatest say in the matter as they are the ones primarily impacted.  And black Americans in lower socioeconomic areas are the most likely to experience injustices and police brutality in this country.  If you do ever happen to stop in any of those neighborhoods, you will find that they sometimes discuss the challenges and problems faced by those in their neighborhood and you will be free to join them in their discussions.  If you feel uncomfortable mentioning black people or discussing neighborhoods that are predominantly black and face greater challenges, then use the words that do not offend white leftist sensibilities. 

Cool.

How does the Marxism of BLM's co-founders conflict with the goals of the movement?

I have family and friends in those neighborhoods and visit regularly. 

Awesome.

I have family and friends in those neighborhoods and visit regularly.  Never had a single reason to be afraid (never met a marxist there, either).  You are projecting your fears onto me.  Believe it or not, even people who argue leftist talking points on the internet can have unfair prejudices.  As you probably are aware being a student of his, Marx himself was a racist.  I can share some quotes of his if you like.  

Wonderful.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

FR and BT, this will be my last post on this thread because I don't think this is the place for it.  If you prefer, feel free to start another thread and I will respond when I have time.  Not trying to cut it short, but I don't think this thread is the place to launch into the broader topics I am referencing.  

Imagine if a called you a rapist for some comments you may have made several years ago but can't quite remember, and not for anything you said explicitly but because I can "read between the lines."  Then when pressed for evidence I said "ok, I take back my claim you are a rapist, although I'm sure you are one.  But let's just put that aside and carry on with the discussion."  I'm sure you would expect some very honest and interesting discussion to follow.

You are making false assumptions about my views on the actual cause of the movement.  I completely agree with them and fully support it.  You claim that "the movement is about police brutality and equality," which I agree with and is a premise in the argument I'm making.  You think I am looking for trivial reasons to not support the movement, which is not the case.  I believe there is a deeper, unrelated ideological shift occurring in modern society and that is not in the best interests of the BLM movement to give the perception that it is taking a side, as people on either side of the ideological division I am referring can fully support the BLM cause without reservation. 

That's nice.  I have also been in marching crowds against police brutality.  That really doesn't mean shit, though.  But I have been the victim of police brutality, so I have actual first hand knowledge.  How about you?

It's funny that merely mentioning blacks and neighborhoods that are predominately black and therefore more impacted by police brutality somehow to you implies "leaking," as you call it.  This may be a bit scandalous for you, but the B in BLM actually stands for black.  Black people in the US are the ones that the movement is primarily for and they have the greatest say in the matter as they are the ones primarily impacted.  And black Americans in lower socioeconomic areas are the most likely to experience injustices and police brutality in this country.  If you do ever happen to stop in any of those neighborhoods, you will find that they sometimes discuss the challenges and problems faced by those in their neighborhood and you will be free to join them in their discussions.  If you feel uncomfortable mentioning black people or discussing neighborhoods that are predominantly black and face greater challenges, then use the words that do not offend white leftist sensibilities. 

I have family and friends in those neighborhoods and visit regularly.  Never had a single reason to be afraid (never met a marxist there, either).  You are projecting your fears onto me.  Believe it or not, even people who argue leftist talking points on the internet can have unfair prejudices.  As you probably are aware being a student of his, Marx himself was a racist.  I can share some quotes of his if you like.  

You asked me to retract the claim that you said a specific thing so I did.  I'm under no obligation to sift through the old board.  I am also under no obligation to change my belief that you don't value other cultures.  It could be put to bed pretty easily.  State plainly that you don't believe in Western cultural superiority.  

As for the marxist nonsense.  Again, I find it to be an intentional distraction because it is largely irrelevant to the movement.  Giuliani, Carlson, and other right wing talking heads are using it exactly for that.  If you aren't racist, don't jump in bed with racists. 

3 hours ago, Axiom of Choice said:

The reason why huckleberry and you argue with me and why fondren road chimes in and tries in vain to recall some comment from 5 years ago about Asia unrelated to anything is because of ideological differences.  What occurs on on this forum is that strangers gather to spar, insult, and blow steam at ideological opponents.  There is no process occurring with next logical steps that is building towards anything beyond this.

No, one of the two main reasons I argue with you is because you are helplessly emotional when it comes to politics. You admitted on this thread that the reason you don't like the Black Lives Matter movement is because they hurt your feelings by saying they want to disrupt Western-prescribed social requirements. So you spend your time on this forum pretending like you want intellectual discourse even though in reality you simply react emotionally to the people you view as on the other side of things. Many people are simply emotional when it comes to politics, and in fact a lot of the time emotional responses are 100% valid and called for. I mean discussing politics means that in many cases you are discussing peoples lives, their well-being, and their future. Of course it gets emotional. The problem is that you try to affect a persona that pretends to be intellectual, rational, and above the emotional fray when you're absolutely not. Hypocrisy will get lambasted here just like it does most places and just like it should.

The other reason is that in spite of your bluster, you don't actually answer any questions. Let's take the latest example here that you quite obviously avoided.

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Can you explain this disparity? For instance, what are the "primary goals of the movement" and in what way do they conflict with the desire to encourage multi-generational/communal living and child-rearing?

Specificity would be great.

Because, as far as I can see, there seems to be no conflict at all. Also, I would imagine your expertise in the beliefs of the marching protesters is limited (to put it kindly) and colored by your profound biases against those people (to also put it kindly).

In the above post bad_teammate asks a specific and clear question. Not only is it specific and clear, it would actually allow you to clarify your position, explain why you hold it, and possibly make headway in the conversation. So did you answer the question in any productive way whatsoever?

2 hours ago, Axiom of Choice said:

Of course you would assume I have limited experience with and biases towards black people.  That is the only hammer you have to swing and so you will swing it.  If I remember correctly, with this user name you claim to be an oil and gas executive who lives in west university.  So you've probably driven around and occasionally through 3rd and 5th ward and you may have heard of south park.  Next time you are visiting your family and friends in these neighborhoods, ask around and see how many marxists you find.  

No, you responded with the above. Absolutely zero effort to answer the question but rather a naked and blatant attempt to run away from it and cling to anything else in his post that can help you avoid answering it. Then you moved on to some weird sort of personal exposition on bad_teammate, the kind of thing you later decried from other posters.

The reason why I argue with you on this forum is because you are an emotional hypocrite trying to pretend like you're a purely rational thinker just looking for clarification. On many topics you're able to behave the way that you claim to behave. In fact, I think you probably truly want to be a rational thinker when it comes to politics, too. But you're not, you're an emotional hypocrite so you should either keep working on your ability to approach politics rationally and unemotionally or you should embrace the truth, that your political arguments are guided and formed not by rational thought but rather by emotional reaction.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

When i was doing my MBA, we spent some time in the Czech Republic doing a project, and they were seriously recruiting for Western Europeans and Americans to come over there and teach them how to innovate.  At both a car manufacturing plant and a software development house, they blamed their inability to innovate on the fact that innovation is basically bred out of the population in communist societies because you aren't paid to think, you are only paid to do.  Therefore, most people who would want to be innovative have it beaten out of them as children and by the time you reach working age, you work the job you are assigned and that's that.  

I really have no clear idea if that was an accurate assessment, but will tell you that it definitely fits my bias against communism so it really stuck with me through the years.  

• Like 1

I guess we can point to generalized tradeoffs, but "innovation" as some kind of universal good is pretty late 90s/early 00s. Communism as an economic system is certainly bad for the kind of marketing-focused "innovation" that leads to 12 different brands of virtually-identical paper towels or BRAND NEW EVERY YEAR phones that are 98% identical to the ones from 3 years ago. But the relative value and importance of that is... debatable.

On the other hand, the Communist revolutions in both Russia and China were responsible for some of the most rapid and thorough increases in educational attainment and decreases in countrywide poverty we've ever seen. Communist efforts are absolutely capable of achieving massively important things, and while we love to talk about the deaths attributed to Communism (through Stalin's purges and such) the untold reality in the capitalist West is just how many lives were saved wit massive anti-poverty gains and the tremendous increases in lifespan both of those countries saw. 

Smaller nations saw similar impacts, but those are two massive (literally) examples.

At a certain point it's more about what position you want to take from the start and then finding reasons to back up your initial opinion, which, VERY COINCIDENTALLY, is usually the one we are raised with.

3 hours ago, Axiom of Choice said:

FR and BT, this will be my last post on this thread because I don't think this is the place for it.  If you prefer, feel free to start another thread and I will respond when I have time.  Not trying to cut it short, but I don't think this thread is the place to launch into the broader topics I am referencing.  

Imagine if a called you a rapist for some comments you may have made several years ago but can't quite remember, and not for anything you said explicitly but because I can "read between the lines."  Then when pressed for evidence I said "ok, I take back my claim you are a rapist, although I'm sure you are one.  But let's just put that aside and carry on with the discussion."  I'm sure you would expect some very honest and interesting discussion to follow.

You are making false assumptions about my views on the actual cause of the movement.  I completely agree with them and fully support it.  You claim that "the movement is about police brutality and equality," which I agree with and is a premise in the argument I'm making.  You think I am looking for trivial reasons to not support the movement, which is not the case.  I believe there is a deeper, unrelated ideological shift occurring in modern society and that is not in the best interests of the BLM movement to give the perception that it is taking a side, as people on either side of the ideological division I am referring can fully support the BLM cause without reservation. 

It's funny that merely mentioning blacks and neighborhoods that are predominately black and therefore more impacted by police brutality somehow to you implies "leaking," as you call it.  This may be a bit scandalous for you, but the B in BLM actually stands for black.  Black people in the US are the ones that the movement is primarily for and they have the greatest say in the matter as they are the ones primarily impacted.  And black Americans in lower socioeconomic areas are the most likely to experience injustices and police brutality in this country.  If you do ever happen to stop in any of those neighborhoods, you will find that they sometimes discuss the challenges and problems faced by those in their neighborhood and you will be free to join them in their discussions.  If you feel uncomfortable mentioning black people or discussing neighborhoods that are predominantly black and face greater challenges, then use the words that do not offend white leftist sensibilities. 

You and Johnny Sack and Onboard2.whatever will have a good time discussing this topic over on the safe space DT thread then. Good riddance coward.  

2 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

What’s crazy is that Judge Godbey is one of the better federal judges in DFW, not that that is saying as whole lot. You could do a lot worse though.

That is how ingrained the corruption and rot in the system there is. 

23 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

If someone said, "The founders of BLM are all anti-Muslim" then I could understand the problem there because there are many black Muslims in America and an underlying bias or hatred against a race or religious affiliation would be counter to the message of improving the lives of black people. Anti-Muslim bias could manifest in some nasty ways that would lead to the suffering of black Muslims.

Can anyone here do the same regarding the Marxism of BLM's founders?

I'll give you a sentence starter:
BLM's founders being Marxist is bad for black people because....

(If your answer is actually about white people then lol)

BLM founders being Marxist is bad for black people because their antagonistic views toward the family structure would exacerbate the current breakdown of the family in black culture. Data would suggest this is a key component that has contributed to many of the problems facing the black community today. 

This is all putting aside the effect of past Marxist/socialist/communist governments on poor people in their countries. If that is something that BLM would ideally work toward then I don’t see how that’s good for the black community in America. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, GRHorn said:

BLM founders being Marxist is bad for black people because their antagonistic views toward the family structure would exacerbate the current breakdown of the family in black culture. Data would suggest this is a key component that has contributed to many of the problems facing the black community today. 

This is all putting aside the effect of past Marxist/socialist/communist governments on poor people in their countries. If that is something that BLM would ideally work toward then I don’t see how that’s good for the black community in America. 

GRHorn not liking black people in his neighborhood is also bad for black people because their antagonistic views toward his family since he doesn’t really like them in his neighborhood would exacerbate the current breakdown in the neighborhood. Data would suggest that GRHorn’s racist attitude is a key component that has contributed to many of the problems facing the black community today. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, freyguy said:

Bill Hicks was God.

I have to admit that from time to time, I get kind of pissed at God for taking Bill Hicks away so soon and leaving us with that idiot Alex Jones instead. But everything for a reason I suppose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

I have to admit that from time to time, I get kind of pissed at God for taking Bill Hicks away so soon and leaving us with that idiot Alex Jones instead. But everything for a reason I suppose.

I’m pretty sure GHWB had Hicks killed for ripping on him so much

5 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

When i was doing my MBA, we spent some time in the Czech Republic doing a project, and they were seriously recruiting for Western Europeans and Americans to come over there and teach them how to innovate.  At both a car manufacturing plant and a software development house, they blamed their inability to innovate on the fact that innovation is basically bred out of the population in communist societies because you aren't paid to think, you are only paid to do.  Therefore, most people who would want to be innovative have it beaten out of them as children and by the time you reach working age, you work the job you are assigned and that's that.  

I really have no clear idea if that was an accurate assessment, but will tell you that it definitely fits my bias against communism so it really stuck with me through the years.  

Chinese business practices/ethics are super strange.  It's not all explained by "face," either.

Then there's the seeming lack of innovation.  They're great at making stuff, with the right incentives, but can't seem to come up with a new idea to save their lives.  I understand it's both Chinese cultural (innovation requires a degree of individualism that Chinese collective culture discourages) and communist (makes their cultural predispostions worse).

Although national technical espionage is not uncommon, and neither is industrial espionage, the degree to which China has officially endorsed the theft of both national and trade secrets has to be unprecedented.

I honestly think the greatest thing the United States has ever brought to the world is the ability to think outside the box.  The rest of it -- "freedom", protections against "the tyranny of the majority", etc. -- is largely self-congratulatory bullshit.  But, when push comes to shove, those 200+ years of "we're fucking SPECIAL" have led to a certain self-fulfilling ability to actually see things in a new light, and it's not really all technical, either.

42 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Chinese business practices/ethics are super strange.  It's not all explained by "face," either.

Then there's the seeming lack of innovation.  They're great at making stuff, with the right incentives, but can't seem to come up with a new idea to save their lives.  I understand it's both Chinese cultural (innovation requires a degree of individualism that Chinese collective culture discourages) and communist (makes their cultural predispostions worse).

Although national technical espionage is not uncommon, and neither is industrial espionage, the degree to which China has officially endorsed the theft of both national and trade secrets has to be unprecedented.

There is a reason the people of Hong Kong call them Chinese bandits.