Minneapolis is Burning

F250

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So.....we have federal forces arresting people for....thought crimes?  Like, "maybe that guy over there is THINKING about putting graffiti on some federal building somewhere?

WTF?  Sounds like a section 1983 action seeking immediate injunction against such actions would be in order.

John Roberts laughs at how stupid you are, thinking the law might ever be used to protect the little people.

Federal authorities protect federal property and disregard local lawlessness. The crowd was threatening to burn down a federal building so the DHS acted appropriately. We all witnessed how well local authorities and government handled what transpired in Seattle, that went over well didn't it?

Just now, Chad said:

The crowd was threatening to burn down a federal building

Source information, please?

Oh, and we don't arrest "crowds."  We arrest individual people.  So, source information that the people who were arrested were "threatening to burn down a federal building?"

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So.....we have federal forces arresting people for....thought crimes?  Like, "maybe that guy over there is THINKING about putting graffiti on some federal building somewhere?

WTF?  Sounds like a section 1983 action seeking immediate injunction against such actions would be in order.

Bivens action.  As I was reminded upthread after a bit of self-ownage, 1983 applies only to state actors.  🤬🤬

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Bivens action.  As I was reminded upthread after a bit of self-ownage, 1983 applies only to state actors.  🤬🤬

GODDAMIT.  You are correct.  As someone who deals almost entirely with state actors, the habit is hard to break.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chad said:

Federal authorities protect federal property and disregard local lawlessness. The crowd was threatening to burn down a federal building so the DHS acted appropriately. We all witnessed how well local authorities and government handled what transpired in Seattle, that went over well didn't it?

Username checks out.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Source information, please?

Oh, and we don't arrest "crowds."  We arrest individual people.  So, source information that the people who were arrested were "threatening to burn down a federal building?"

They were gathered near a federal courthouse making it a federal affair.

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2020/07/protests-mark-day-50-in-portland-thursday-amid-growing-attention-from-trump-administration.html

Around 10 p.m., police announced that they had heard some people chanting that they wanted to burn the building down and told “peaceful” protesters to leave. “You are subject to arrest and use of force including crowd control munitions if you enter the property,” police said over a loudspeaker.

6 minutes ago, Chad said:

Doesn't tell me where and when these "arrests" were made.  Far from all protesters in Portland were at the courthouse.

And it sure doesn't tell us why the cloak-and-dagger, failure to identify themselves as members of a specific law enforcement agency approach was appropriate.  Hint: it's not.  Some dudes in camo try to grab a person off the street without badges and identifying themselves as cops, I'm going to think they're just a militia acting as vigilantes, and someone is going to shoot their asses.  And it would be a 100% legal shooting.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Chad said:

And in your quote above, the police asked peaceful protestors to leave, which is what folks were doing before being nabbed. If the feds are concerned about the building then they can wear identification and question people on the street in public. You know, where there are witnesses?

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It’s illegal for crowds to assemble near federal courthouses now?

Play stupid games win stupid prizes. When you threaten to burn down a federal courthouse federal authorities can and will act making it a federal matter, not a local matter. It's not a complicated concept by any stretch.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It’s illegal for crowds to assemble near federal courthouses now?

I mean, I guess they can block it off for security reasons.  But you can still stand across the street and yell shit at the Courthouse, no?  

I've seen the federal courthouse in downtown Austin sometimes "locked down" when a particularly high profile case is taking place.  You'll see the handful of reporters and a few token vocal citizens have to take steps across the street or fall back to Republic Square, past those pylons.  But once there, I don't see how you can't stand there and yell about burning it down.  

Shit, a few years ago a white guy literally opened heavy fire on the courthouse with an assault rifle.  No DHS police showed up, no federal marshals, no FBI.  It was a local beat cop walking his horse that took the guy down.  

Around 10 p.m., police announced that they had heard some people chanting that they wanted to burn the building down and told “peaceful” protesters to leave. “You are subject to arrest and use of force including crowd control munitions if you enter the property,” police said over a loudspeaker.

Ah yes, the old "I smelled marijuana" excuse. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Portland is the first - but it won't be the last.  Trump has been threatening to send troops to Chicago for years - the city has a Black-lesbian mayor who doesn't take his shit so he might just decide that's the next best place to flex his secret police muscle.

Good time to recall that pre-COVID, ICE was expanding their Special Response Team training with "Chicago" and other urban replicas (Strategic Operations company).

Couple of things of note:

Instill fear among citizens.

Great way to suppress the vote: anyone that looks hispanic becomes MS-13 terrorists and gets 'vanned.' So does anyone else that can be used (promo) or abused (cruelty is the point).

ABSOLUTELY SICKENING

If someone is breaking the law, then pursue the Rule of Law. Otherwise, send Roger Stone back to prison. He fucking threatened a witness.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Edit

22 minutes ago, Chad said:

This is political theater. People are being pulled off the street and put into holding cells with zero explanation, and then released when they refuse to voluntarily answer questions or be searched. Trump and Barr just want to let the people know who's REALLY holding the power.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Chad said:

Play stupid games win stupid prizes. When you threaten to burn down a federal courthouse federal authorities can and will act making it a federal matter, not a local matter. It's not a complicated concept by any stretch.

Yo, numbnuts, you can't just arrest people because someone, somewhere, at sometime, may have said something about burning down a building. You can potentially arrest the people that said it, but not everyone that just happens to be near a fucking building. Seriously, wtf is wrong with you that you think a secret police is at all ever appropriate?!

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Yo, numbnuts, you can't just arrest people because someone, somewhere, at sometime, may have said something about burning down a building. You can potentially arrest the people that said it, but not everyone that just happens to be near a fucking building. Seriously, wtf is wrong with you that you think a secret police is at all ever appropriate?!

THEY.  ARE.  AUTHORITARIAN FASCISTS.  It's not exactly a secret.

What really cracks me up is that under Obama, I had to listen to 8 fucking years of their deranged fantasies about how Obama was about to send [checks notes] militarized forces into our towns and cities, snatching up citizens disloyal to the regime and holding them in custody in undisclosed locations for no reasons, and that's why we all need to arm ourselves!

Now that [checks today's notes] that EXACT thing is happening.....the same people who warned against it as the surest sign of an authoritarian government bent on crushing its people.....are cheering it on as loudly as they can.

I'd like to think that this juxtaposition tells us that these people are stupid, but it's much worse than that.  They're evil and dangerous.  Because it turns out that they were NEVER anti-authoritarian.  They were just anti-any government run by people who believe differently than they do.  They are JUST FINE with jackbooteed authoriatarianism, and always have been -- so long as it's serving their political beliefs.

Always remember that about Trump and the Trumpkins.  Never forget it.  Never forgive them.  Ever.  They are and always will be authoritarian fascists.

• Like 7

Somebody just order 100,000 MAGA hats and send them to Portland.  If you're protesting or even just innocently going about your business, and these guys show up...just slap on your MAGA hat and they'll leave you alone.  These DHS secret police look former operators.  So there's no way they're not doing a briefing before they go out on what to look for.  Wearing black, signage, BLM gear, etc.  But they're also being briefed on counter-protestors, because so many of them are usually armed.  They got to keep up their watch.  So wear just regular non-descript clothing of earth tones.  Minute these guys show up, toss your sign and put on your MAGA hat, and voila.....you're free to go.

It worked in the Curb Your Enthusiasm season premiere.

5 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

To all you second amendment-o-philes that wax nostalgic about that amendment being relevant to taking up arms against a government that got too uppity, this would be your chance to prove either your sincerity or your hypocrisy. 

Oh....hpslugga....you're adorable.  We already know how this goes.

All that talk about being "anti-gestapo" wasn't just off, it was a flat-out LIE.  They fucking LOVE the gestapo....they just wanted to make sure that it was a gestapo working for their team.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh....hpslugga....you're adorable.  We already know how this goes.

All that talk about being "anti-gestapo" wasn't just off, it was a flat-out LIE.  They fucking LOVE the gestapo....they just wanted to make sure that it was a gestapo working for their team.

Oh I have no doubt what the result will be. Just wanted it to be on record in advance that they had the opportunity to actually be brave for once in their useless lives and once again eschewed the opportunity.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't want anyone to shoot them, but heckling them for looking like stupid dorks wearing camo in a fucking city would be beautiful.

However, if unmarked guys start grabbing people and shoving them into unmarked vans, then it makes sense that others would use deadly force to defend that person being kidnapped.

It won't happen, of course. :)

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I don't want anyone to shoot them, but heckling them for looking like stupid dorks wearing camo in a fucking city would be beautiful.

However, if unmarked guys start grabbing people and shoving them into unmarked vans, then it makes sense that others would use deadly force to defend that person being kidnapped.

It won't happen, of course. :)

Oh and if it did, you can full well guarantee that the crocodile tears about “domestic terrorism” from the Fox News crowd will be turned up to fucking 11. There is nothing honorable about anything those people say or do. 

Csb - I've known multiple people who have impersonated cops. Nothing huge, but one guy had an old retired police crown vic and bought some props at a costume store. Would flash his "badge" and motion people to pull over to clear the way. There's a huge fucking problem with someone getting out of a mini van wearing camo with "police" across their chest grabbing citizens. 

2 hours ago, hpslugga said:

To all you second amendment-o-philes that wax nostalgic about that amendment being relevant to taking up arms against a government that got too uppity, this would be your chance to prove either your sincerity or your hypocrisy. 

Yeah, I wouldn't want some dude who just had the word police on thier uni to take me away, that's crazy.

9 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Wait - there's a Mackenzie Kelly connection?

Someone here previously figured out that she was a strong suspect in writing all those letters. 

I haven't really followed her whole saga/shitshow other than the unavoidable background exposure that pollutes the air here so I don't know any of the details.