Minneapolis is Burning

F250

Let's say George Floyd had 5700mL of blood in his body, which is the high average amount of blood in humans. 11 nanograms is .011 micrograms. 0.11mcg x 5700mL is 62.7mcg of fentanyl in his entire body. I give 100mcg of fentanyl at a time to patients regularly, including many who do not have an opioid tolerance already built up.

George Floyd probably had more than 5700mL of blood in his body, but he also had plenty of body mass. 100mcg of fentanyl would not kill him, especially if he used fentanyl with any regularity.  
ETA: someone doublecheck my math and make sure I'm not being stupid

I thought I read that he had 11.0 ng/ml of fentanyl, 5.6 ng/ml of norfentanyl and 19 ng/ml of meth. I could be misremembering.

2 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

The one whose job it is to determine for the people of Minnesota how/why a person died. Or was that a rhetorical question?

But for Chauvin’s knee on his neck for nearly nine minutes...

Based on the questioning of the two witnesses today, if I'm the defense...I may as well try, "Did it ever occur to any of you anti-police bastards that Chauvin put his knee on Floyd's neck to keep the fentanyl from going into his brain?!?!?" 

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Chauvin is only 5'9" and 140 lbs?

Yeah, I saw that and thought...he can't be 5'9"...his most famous photo is him on his knees and the top of his head is halfway up the rear window of a Ford Explorer.  I'm 6'1" and the top of my head barely reaches that height frame of reference.  "Oh, right, right...he gets a 5" boost from the neck of the dead man underneath him."  

140 pounds, eh?  Wow, I don't know how you say "hors d' oeuvres" in prison lingo...but...

• 2 months later...

Tom Hanks

My experience was common: History was mostly written by white people about white people like me, while the history of Black people — including the horrors of Tulsa — was too often left out. Until relatively recently, the entertainment industry, which helps shape what is history and what is forgotten, did the same. That includes projects of mine. I knew about the attack on Fort Sumter, Custer’s last stand and Pearl Harbor but did not know of the Tulsa massacre until last year, thanks to an article in The New York Times.

Instead, in my history classes, I learned that Britain’s Stamp Act helped lead to the Boston Tea Party, that “we” were a free people because the Declaration of Independence said “all men are created equal.” That the Whiskey Rebellion started over a tax on whiskey. That the Articles of Confederation and the Alien and Sedition Acts were cockeyed. Rightfully, Sacco and Vanzetti, Teddy Roosevelt’s Bull Moose Party and the Wright Brothers had their time in my classes. Our textbooks told of the Louisiana Purchase; the Johnstown, Pa., flood; the great San Francisco earthquake; and George Washington Carver’s development of hundreds of products from the common goober.

But Tulsa was never more than a city on the prairie. The Oklahoma Land Rush got some paragraphs in one of those school years, but the 1921 burning out of the Black population that lived there was never mentioned. Nor, I have learned since, was anti-Black violence on large and small scales, especially between the end of Reconstruction and the victories of the civil rights movement; there was nothing on the Slocum massacre of Black residents in Texas by an all-white mob in 1910 or the Red Summer of white supremacist terrorism in 1919. Many students like me were told that the lynching of Black Americans was tragic but not that these public murders were commonplace and often lauded by local papers and law enforcement.

This'll get the right wing snowflakes riled up

Today, I think historically based fiction entertainment must portray the burden of racism in our nation for the sake of the art form’s claims to verisimilitude and authenticity. Until recently, the Tulsa Race Massacre was not seen in movies and TV shows. Thanks to several projects currently streaming, like “Watchmen” and “Lovecraft Country,” this is no longer the case. Like other historical documents that map our cultural DNA, they will reflect who we really are and help determine what is our full history, what we must remember.

Edited by Michael Knight

• 3 weeks later...

Watching the sentencing hearing for Floyd’s murderer. Chauvin’s mom wants folks to know that whatever sentence Chauvin faces, she will suffer, too. (Not a word of sympathy from her towards Floyd’s family, btw).

Ar any rate, the judge sentenced Floyd’s murderer to 270 months, ten years more than the presumptive (average?) sentence.

6 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I wonder what he meant by new information coming out soon. That was weird.

Jesus.  There's no way to reply to that without going full Cloak Room.  It's going to be some version of some Qanon conspiracy theory rigged voting machine bullshit, or the functional equivalent.

Chauvin and his defenders have zero fucking decency or humanity.  And certainly a complete inability to accept any -- not a single iota of it -- responsibility.  Fucking scum.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Jesus.  There's no way to reply to that without going full Cloak Room.  It's going to be some version of some Qanon conspiracy theory rigged voting machine bullshit, or the functional equivalent.

Chauvin and his defenders have zero fucking decency or humanity.  And certainly a complete inability to accept any -- not a single iota of it -- responsibility.  Fucking scum.

He has two federal indictments pending against him. One is for hitting a 13 year old kid in the head with a flashlight. That’s why he said as little as possible, imo.

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

He has two federal indictments pending against him. One is for hitting a 13 year old kid in the head with a flashlight. That’s why he said as little as possible, imo.

"My greatest sympathy is with the family of George Floyd.  I wish all of you peace and comfort."

That would have been "as little as possible" and also wouldn't have flagged him as an even bigger piece of shit than he's already proven to be.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Probably something to do with hacked Italian satellites and pedophile pizza parlors, or something equally moronic.

They're gonna say that the information to acquit him is buried in Hilary's emails, aren't they?

39 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Perfect.

Maybe it's in Hunter Biden's laptop.

Whatever the story is, it's going to be dumb as shit.

Why not tie it into Giuliani losing his NY law license as well? So many conspiracies and grievances all rolled into one giant white conspirpocalypse!

2 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Could've fooled me, man.

He can handle things, he's smart!  Not like everybody posts.  Like dumb, he's smart and he wants respect!  

• 2 years later...

Derek Chauvin's Family Has Received No Updates After Prison Stabbing, Attorney Says

An attorney for the former Minneapolis police officer convicted of murdering George Floyd says his family has been kept in the dark by federal prison officials.
MICHAEL R. SISAK AND TRISHA AHMED

AP logo

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1