Minneapolis is Burning

F250

39 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The Obama administration turned the DOJ's attention to examining and enforcing against PDs for systemic civil rights abuses, and enforcing the law via suits and consent decrees entered in Federal Court.  Not only has the current administration ABANDONED that approach, it actively works against it (issuing guidance that would gut the Obama approach).  If all they offer is a return to the Obama DOJ approach, it would be a significant difference and improvement.

Obama’s virtual silence during the random killing of police officers pushed LE further into the corner of, “us against the world”. That was one key area I wish he would have been more vocal on. As we’ve seen with Trump, you can’t have progress by only appealing to one side of the issue.

You mean like he was virtually silent when he flew to Dallas to speak and attend the memorial of the fallen officers? And the police blamed him for it because he had the audacity to say black live matter? The same phrase that was pushed by the right as an only anti-police agenda. 
Forget it Jake, its Chinatown

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

You mean like he was virtually silent when he flew to Dallas to speak and attend the memorial of the fallen officers? And the police blamed him for it because he had the audacity to say black live matter? The same phrase that was pushed by the right as an only anti-police agenda. 

I mean speaking to police to offer condolences is different than speaking to the nation about it. I’m not saying he was completely absent, but his minimal  leadership on the national stage almost seemed to condone it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dropout said:

My opinion is you are no different than him on the issue so what the fuck are you going on about.

I will waste my time and quote you if you admit beforehand that you equating posters to “political terrorists” makes you no different than what you proclaim to hate.

So, in summary....you don't have any support for the proposition that I characterized anyone who disagrees with me as a "political terrorist."  Cool, cool.

Continue to excuse decades of police brutality -- that seems to have worked out BRILLIANTLY for us.

23 minutes ago, Dropout said:

Coming from the guy who called posters on this site “political terrorists” for having the audacity to voice their opinions. 

This is like saying "All I did was put my finger on a piece of metal and pulled on it, and all of a sudden I'm getting charged with shooting a guy!". I don't know the post you are referring to, but I don't think it is the "audacity to voice their opinions" that leads to being called a political terrorist.

11 minutes ago, NAVY said:

Reporting live 

81CF78CF-EDD2-4292-9587-58529AE30524.jpeg

Nice to have a Surly correspondent on the scene. Please be safe and keep reporting back.

Are you gonna be out there late? Things seem to ratchet up after dark. 

15 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

No, I’m not. If you’re part of the “I BACK THE BLUE!”, you did this. If you support a man who told cops they should smash suspects heads against the door of cop cars, you did this. If you excuse murder after murder of black men with whatever thin bullshit you can come up with (“if he’d have just listened, he’d be fine!”), you did this. You arrogantly thought that your way of thinking and being in this world could continue, consequence-free.

It fucking couldn’t. Plenty of us have warned against this shit for years, over and over. It we were just “being paranoid,” and “overreacting.” And now we all have to reap what you sowed. We’re reaping it in fire and blood and destruction. We get to lament that, but you don’t. You fucking helped it happen.

I have not seen many voices supporting the blue and the murder of Floyd. Your words come across as passionate, and just but who is the "you" that you are addressing? Is it the center of the country? The fringes? The stereotypical right leaning supporter you have in your head?

I'd argue that the moral core of this country is disgusted by the murder of Floyd. This core is also disgusted by systemic racism and the looting and destruction of business across this country.

Partisanship is destroying the core of this country. The core we need to overcome the social issues we are seeing play out now and fix these issues so our country can heal. How can we be so divided when many of us agree Floyd was murdered, and the majority are shocked and dismayed by the violence and vandalism we have seen these past few nights? Partisanship is a primary culprit.

Please continue your message board tirades and hopefully leave them on this board. If you talk like this to people in person, you are doing your part to pull the center apart.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I watched that whole thing.  Where do they claim to be antifa or of any political leanings?  Considering the source of that tweet I’m going to guess they have an agenda

The world may never know which way those young 20 year old women tagging a Starbucks with Black Lives Matters leaned politically.  

Edited by John Lawrence
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Are we sure that's ANTIFA?  And posting Benny Johnson?  Why not just move on to Dinesh D'Souza.

From your post, I feel like I'm supposed to know who Benny Johnson is...

But for what it's worth, Nancy French posted a similar situation in Nashville and there was another clip I saw in Oakland where the legit protesters were watching a white person indiscriminately smashing windows.

I have not seen many voices supporting the blue and the murder of Floyd. Your words come across as passionate, and just but who is the "you" that you are addressing? Is it the center of the country? The fringes? The stereotypical right leaning supporter you have in your head?
I'd argue that the moral core of this country is disgusted by the murder of Floyd. This core is also disgusted by systemic racism and the looting and destruction of business across this country.
Partisanship is destroying the core of this country. The core we need to overcome the social issues we are seeing play out now and fix these issues so our country can heal. How can we be so divided when many of us agree Floyd was murdered, and the majority are shocked and dismayed by the violence and vandalism we have seen these past few nights? Partisanship is a primary culprit.
Please continue your message board tirades and hopefully leave them on this board. If you talk like this to people in person, you are doing your part to pull the center apart.

Riots and looting are a virus that need a host.

The desperation and hopelessness that many across the country feel serve that purpose.

As long as the latter exists, the former will follow. The inability to understand this relationship will ensure that it continues.

36 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:
39 minutes ago, TornACL said:
I don't want to rain on such a positive thought, but history has shown us that a change in the White House has never translated to progress on this issue. 
On the other hand, it can't hurt to try again. 

Seems to take awhile but maybe the process is speeding up....1860's,1960's and maybe 2020???

egas. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era—the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run . . . but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant. . . .

History is hard to know, because of all the hired bullshit, but even without being sure of “history” it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time—and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened.

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

60 years later and the faces and names of the evil oppressors have changed but the fight and struggle remains the same. Out with Nixon. In with trump. Any modicum of progress gained is quickly reversed within 4- 8 years.

Playing by the rules won't ever change the game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Telegraph_it said:

Where were these folks in the "moral core" when 1) Trump openly called for police to commit brutality?  When 2) the head of the union of the very PD at issue here THANKED Trump, at a political rally, for letting cops police the way they want to?  For fuck's sake, there's literally a direct lineage back from 3) a Minneapolis cop murdering Floyd, to the head of his union thanking Trump for giving cops the leeway to do shit their way, to Trump ACTUALLY TELLING COPS TO ABUSE PEOPLE.

If you were fine with steps one and two, but then when the cop finally murdered Floyd, THEN you say "well, that's just going too far" -- sorry, you are complicit.  You helped this happen.  We have had millions of Americans cheering on the cops, denying and denying that there are ANY problems -- the REAL problem is all those THUGS out there.  They have an amplified voice by the actual PRESIDENT, who continues to have tens of millions of steadfast supporters.

How can we be this divided?  Well, because millions support 1) and 2), which absolutely help make 3) happen, and will again, and again, and again.  They STILL support 1) and 2).  That's the damned problem. 

If you think you're in "the center," but you are okay with 1) and 2) in any way, shape, or form, you are not in the center.  You are on the side of making result 3) an inevitability, forever and ever.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

I would argue that the moral core of this country equates the looting and destruction with systemic racism. Being disgusted with the murder of Floyd doesn't DO anything. And it HASN'T done anything. The effects of systemic racism is just that - systemic. It is not just Floyd, and the solution to systemic racism is not to say, "ok, we'll shoot fewer of you". In that sense I think the center of the country needs to be torn apart, at least the complacency of it.

Yeah, sorry if I'm not buying that the moral core of this country thinks systemic racism is wrong. If that were the case, Black Lives Matter wouldn't be met with derision or a need to shift it to "All Lives Matter" or "Blue Lives Matter". Our society has shown that Blue Lives Matter. We've shown White Lives Matter. We have in no way shown that Black Lives Matter. If we did, each of these incidents of a black person being killed by white people wouldn't be met with discussion of what the black person did in the situation that led to their death. George Floyd is the first time I've actually seen the moral core say the killing of the black person was completely and utterly unjustified. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I mean speaking to police to offer condolences is different than speaking to the nation about it. I’m not saying he was completely absent, but his minimal  leadership on the national stage almost seemed to condone it.

Yeah, I'm sure Obama giving a speech about how white supremacists were murdering police would've gone over well with y'all.

7 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

From your post, I feel like I'm supposed to know who Benny Johnson is...

But for what it's worth, Nancy French posted a similar situation in Nashville and there was another clip I saw in Oakland where the legit protesters were watching a white person indiscriminately smashing windows.

6 minutes ago, John Lawrence said:

The world may never know which way those young 20 year old women tagging a Starbucks with Black Lives Matters leaned politically.  

Yeah I’m real glad to see you suddenly pop into existence and basically only post here in this thread.  Didn’t you already have stuff deleted?  Just go to the politics thread on this subject and tell everyone how terrible liberals are or the left or it’s all Soros whatever agenda you’re pushing.  

It’s fucking awful enough that people are taking advantage of this situation to vandalize, loot, destroy or whatever and they deserve to be called out on it, arrested and shamed.  Ill gladly eat crow if it comes out that these young white kids are mostly coordinated via some antifa network but until then, posting stupid tweets that shape the video to their conservative narrative isn’t doing anything but sowing more division and finger pointing.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Homercles said:

Yeah I’m real glad to see you suddenly pop into existence and basically only post here in this thread.  Didn’t you already have stuff deleted?  Just go to the politics thread on this subject and tell everyone how terrible liberals are or the left or it’s all Soros whatever agenda you’re pushing.  

It’s fucking awful enough that people are taking advantage of this situation to vandalize, loot, destroy or whatever and they deserve to be called out on it, arrested and shamed.  Ill gladly eat crow if it comes out that these young white kids are mostly coordinated via some antifa network but until then, posting stupid tweets that shape the video to their conservative narrative isn’t doing anything but sowing more division and finger pointing.  

Gun to your head, who do you think they are?   

SIAP

Yup...pretty much what I said in a few post last night.
Cops are instigating and antagonizing instead of trying to keep the peace

Saw a video on Twitter this morning of 2 guys just standing in the street...just 2 nobody else....and about 50 cops on the end of the block.

Cops took a few steps towards them and opened fire with pellets

3 minutes ago, John Lawrence said:

Gun to your head, who do you think they are?   

I don’t give a fuck and I’m going to wait until evidence before I start assuming.  Their actions are wrong at a horrible time and I do have proof of that.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

SIAP

Chief Hall needs to go. She fucking sucks. She signed off on the tear gas order. There is no doubt there were outside elements that came in and started shit but DPD went in with an aggressive mindset. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, in summary....you don't have any support for the proposition that I characterized anyone who disagrees with me as a "political terrorist."  Cool, cool.

Continue to excuse decades of police brutality -- that seems to have worked out BRILLIANTLY for us.

On 1/20/2020 at 2:48 PM, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  I can't POSSIBLY see why millions of voters would be ripshit pissed at being given a choice between which political terrorist movement to vote for.  That's AWESOME!  We should be GRATEFUL for the chance!

Bernie's a lot like Jesus, I guess.  I like the guy....but his supporters have a sizable faction that sucks.

I knew what I was getting even wading back into this thread, and I'm utterly unsurprised.  Y'all keep on keeping on.

You’re a mix of William Barr and Chris Matthews. Own it.

Fuck antifa with the flame of a thousand fires. I wouldn’t shed one tear if one or two died of rubber bullets to send a message while they’re out raising havoc.

Little 130lb dripping wet shit stains with their stupid hoods and masks. Glad to see the BLM calling them out on their bullshit. Hopefully they start beating some antifa ass and the cops sit back and watch. That nerd in the video above didn’t stand a chance

3 minutes ago, Dropout said:

You’re a mix of William Barr and Chris Matthews. Own it.

I mean....all three of us could stand to lose a few pounds.....

But yeah, I'm pretty good with standing by proposition that the Bernie movement and the Trumpism movement have a shitload of terrorist aspects to them.  The point I was making in THAT political post was about Bernie supporters, and their actual threats of causing harm if we didn't acquiesce to their political demands ("nominate Bernie, or else we'll do everything we can to make sure Trump is re-elected").  You know, standard terrorist tactics -- give me the political result I want, or I'll inflict harm.  So, yeah, dude....it was a metaphor, and an apt one in the context used.

But maybe you prefer to stand with 1) a president who told cops to commit acts of brutality, 2) a police union head who thanked Trump for giving them the green light to commit brutality, resulting in 3) a member of that EXACT union....committing an act of police brutality that has lit our country on fire.  We don't need to play 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon to get there.  We can get from the Floyd murder to Trump encouraging brutality in 2 degrees.  

You're right.  I'm silly for comparing that sort of sequence to terrorism.