Minneapolis is Burning

F250

Also, I just went down the rabbit hole of Ice-T's Twitter.  Dude, for the past several days as this has blown up.....he's been spot on.  Seriously, most of our replies here should just be "well, see what Ice-T had to say on that subject."

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

I think the vast majority of protestors do not support the destruction and looting that has occurred and understand that it potentially will work against their cause.

Against that backdrop, it makes sense to me that it’s more likely for people without skin in the game (non residents, whites) to agitate and escalate for whatever reasons. 

This is what I ventured over to here to see if commentary on.  Let's assume a lot of the destruction and looting in various cities was spearheaded by ANTIFA.  I think that's a pretty fair assumption at this point.  What's the strategy?  What is their goal?  Looting/Rioting has a negative impact on race relations and almost certainly helps Trump with moderates.  So seriously, who the fuck is organizing this shit?  They just want to see the world burn?  What a bunch of fucking losers.

• Fuck You 4

13 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

This suggests it was real. 

Yeah. It just didn't pass the smell test. OP was a guy with 12 followers, completely slipped by the rest of conservative media.

Tommy-Lee-Jones-in-No-Country-for-Old-Me

Just now, Skipper said:

This is what I ventured over to here to see if commentary on.  Let's assume a lot of the destruction and looting in various cities was spearheaded by ANTIFA.  I think that's a pretty fair assumption at this point.  What's the strategy?  What is their goal?  Looting/Rioting has a negative impact on race relations and almost certainly helps Trump with moderates.  So seriously, who the fuck is organizing this shit?  They just want to see the world burn?  What a bunch of fucking losers.

bear with me here. maybe, just maybeeee, black people (and people of other skin color) are really angry at injustices they see and are lashing out in anger. 

why is the most obvious scenario not one you are willing to entertain?

• Like 4

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

bear with me here. maybe, just maybeeee, black people (and people of other skin color) are really angry at injustices they see and are lashing out in anger. 

Sure they are.  But when you see piles of bricks strategically laid in the streets of Dallas with reports certain individuals were directing the mob to those locations, some of this was planned.   And multiple cities are reporting arrests of non-residents including some from out of State.  

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Virtually everyone in the country is on the side of the peaceful protestors and I think genuinely would like to see the issues at hand addressed....

Yes, when Americans see undeniable evidence of a police officer applying excessive force on a black man, resulting in the murder of that black man, they agree it is wrong. 

But that doesn't address the issue. Well documented, obvious excessive force resulting in murder is the tip of the iceberg. 

Unfortunately, the American public is still unwilling to 1) demand punishment when cops assault people when it only results in pain and injury, or 2) stop always giving the cops the benefit of the doubt. That is being proven out by reaction to what the cops are doing today.  Many Americans won't question that the cops are firing rubber bullets and tear gas into peaceful protests.  They categorically refuse to believe protesters if there isn't clear video evidence.  

I don't think the shitheel cop who killed George Floyd was trying to murder him.  I think he was trying to torture him.  And if Floyd hadn't died, he would have gotten away with it.  If there hadn't been video evidence, he would have gotten away with it.  We need to change that situation.  That change needs to happen in the mindset of the American public. Until that happens, there will continue to be the occasional murder, resulting in the occasional riot.  

• Like 2

Just now, Skipper said:

Sure they are.  But when you see piles of bricks strategically laid in the streets of Dallas with reports certain individuals were directing the mob to those locations, some of this was planned.   And multiple cities are reporting arrests of non-residents including some from out of State.  

this was debunked. why are your trafficking in conspiracy theories designed to discredit people's anger? 

and multiple cities reporting arrests of non-residents? this will blow your mind, but people quite often leave their homes to travel to other places. many do so in order to attend events, visit friends, or for a variety of other reasons. why, even in NYC, 1 out of 7 arrested protesters were from far-flung places like New Jersey and Connecticut. Crazy! 

you need a boogeyman here to make sense of this. here's the ugly truth: we're pretty much a broken nation at this point and a lot of people are simply fed up with it. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I have no idea if these people are "antifa."  But if this is what antifa has become, then it can be pretty safely said that they are purely an agent of chaos and no longer a politically inclined organization.

Antifa is either responsible for these riots or a group that promotes "leftist" ideas.  Trump and his crew will do everything to make both statements true because antifa is the perfect boogeyman, but as you stated, they very clearly are contradictory.

The looters, vandals and arsonists aren't a monolithic organization. They're criminals who are exploiting the chaos to steal and vandalize and burn. I'm sure there's overlap with the daytime peaceful protestors, antifa, and other groups.

But all of the hypothesizing about who is doing this, based on an assumption that it's a discrete group, is silliness. 

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Yes, when Americans see undeniable evidence of a police officer applying excessive force on a black man, resulting in the murder of that black man, they agree it is wrong. 

But that doesn't address the issue. Well documented, obvious excessive force resulting in murder is the tip of the iceberg. 

Unfortunately, the American public is still unwilling to 1) demand punishment when cops assault people when it only results in pain and injury, or 2) stop always giving the cops the benefit of the doubt. That is being proven out by reaction to what the cops are doing today.  Many Americans won't question that the cops are firing rubber bullets and tear gas into peaceful protests.  They categorically refuse to believe protesters if there isn't clear video evidence.  

I don't think the shitheel cop who killed George Floyd was trying to murder him.  I think he was trying to torture him.  And if Floyd hadn't died, he would have gotten away with it.  If there hadn't been video evidence, he would have gotten away with it.  We need to change that situation.  That change needs to happen in the mindset of the American public. Until that happens, there will continue to be the occasional murder, resulting in the occasional riot.  

Step 1 is to abolish the cop unions imo. 

Antifa isn’t a real organization.  There are no antifa meetings.  There are no antifa leaders.  Antifa is a code word for any opposition to the abuses by the state.  It’s a dissent suppression tactic.  All these people doing crazy things must be antifa!  

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Ah yes, the strategic laying of bricks.

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Antifa isn’t a real organization.  There are no antifa meetings.  There are no antifa leaders.  Antifa is a code word for any opposition to the abuses by the state.  It’s a dissent suppression tactic.  All these people doing crazy things must be antifa!  

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

this was debunked. why are your trafficking in conspiracy theories designed to discredit people's anger? 

What part was debunked?  Look, maybe my original post was misleading.  I don't think anything close to a majority of those responsible for the looting and destruction are ANTIFA or any other organization. But there was a huge pallet of bricks set out in downtown Dallas Friday night right after the protest.  I don't think it's likely that local angry Dallas black youth made a trip out to a brickyard Friday afternoon to buy hundreds of dollars worth of bricks to lay out to help ensure a riot broke out after the protests.  But someone did.

Here is a NYT article regarding some of the organized chaos:  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/31/us/george-floyd-protests-white-supremacists-antifa.html

25 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This is a bad assumption. Antifa and black bloc protesters are not the same.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Let's assume a lot of the destruction and looting in various cities was spearheaded by ANTIFA.  I think that's a pretty fair assumption at this point.  

I'll ask it again because it's been asked multiple times without an answer--why is this a fair assumption? 

• Like 2

Guest Lobo
4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

That sounds like something an Antifa Operator might say to deflect attention away from your organization's true mission.

Or it sounds like something somebody who tried to get invited to an Antifa meeting, but nobody would tell him where it was being held.

I kid, I kid.

Admiral McRaven had a great point about organizations without structured hierARCHY, it's the opposite-anARCHY.  And those are the enemies of the United States of the future.  Cells within cells, teams of teams, no more enemies divided into Corps-Division-Regiment-Company-Platoon.  And then he explained that the U.S. Military, at least USSOCOM, must adhere to this new dynamic, flexible team of teams approach in order to more effectively combat its enemies.  And somebody asked him about Antifa (I think it was, could have been Anonymous or whoever the enemy-du-jour here at home was back a few years ago).  And he said, that was their strength, it was a headless organization that can operate independently with a severed network.  That the group looks/behaves different from one part of the country to another, from one mission to another, that is a feature...not a bug.  It works so well, he tried to get all of USSOCOM to behave like that; a monumental task by any stretch of the imagination considering how slowly the Pentagon moves.  /csb

30 minutes ago, Skipper said:

You've made a fairly big assumption there especially since there isn't a group called ANTIFA. I have no doubt that there are some people that like to participate and fuel unrest, and they may have informal communication but there isn't any organization by design.

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Yeah Downtown Dallas is never ALWAYS UNDER CONSTRUCTION or in a state of construction. Stop spreading this bullshit story. 

I read this in Richard Burton's voice from "1984" to a helpless John Hurt. 

"Downtown Dallas is under construction.  Downtown Dallas has always been under construction.  And it will always be under construction."

Seems  appropriate given our current political climate. 

29 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Let me ask you this question.  When the people doing the looting return home are they thinking  "What happened to George Floyd isn't right" or are they thinking "I got a new TV"?

• Fuck You 1

Well maybe I'm wrong.  I was giving the benefit of the doubt that when all this shit started Friday night 99% of those protesting didn't intend to be destructive when they set out that evening but there were some intent on fueling the flames.  

2 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Let me ask you this question.  When the people doing the looting return home are they thinking  "What happened to George Floyd isn't right" or are they thinking "I got a new TV"?

they're thinking 'i can't wait to inflict more pain tomorrow night.' they're very angry.

17 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Austin will get ugly. The white lefties there have to be salty about how much uglier the protests have been elsewhere. If there aren’t a certain number of broken windows and looted retail outlets then the systemic racists win. 

There were thousands there and it did not get ugly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Why do some people worry about stuff so much more than they worry about people? 

Edited by Royalfan5
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I have no problem with anything in this post but if this was a problem that had an easy solution we would have found it by now.  Everyone on all sides of the issue only wants to skate around the edge of the pond where the ice is safe.  Until we go out on the thin ice of the issue we are going to dance around the problem instead of solving it.  However going out on that thin ice makes everyone involved with the discussion uncomfortable because to have the honest discussion you have to risk other people having instant emotional reactions to some questions that have to be asked to make a serious attempt to change things and no one wants to risk falling through the ice by asking them.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, EMAWesome said:

However going out on that thin ice makes everyone involved with the discussion uncomfortable because to have the honest discussion you have to risk other people having instant emotional reactions to some questions that have to be asked to make a serious attempt to change things and no one wants to risk falling through the ice by asking them.

Say what you want to say, bud. I promise no one will hurt you. :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

Why do some people worry about stuff so much more than they worry about people? 

Because in their minds what happened to Floyd et al represents at least the order part of law and order, whereas the looting is the absence of both. 

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

And he said, that was their strength, it was a headless organization that can operate independently with a severed network.  That the group looks/behaves different from one part of the country to another, from one mission to another, that is a feature...not a bug.  It works so well, he tried to get all of USSOCOM to behave like that; a monumental task by any stretch of the imagination considering how slowly the Pentagon moves. 

He’s describing hooligans. 

12 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

NYC government saying that 1 in 7 is from out of state like that’s a big impressive number. That means 6/7 is from your state and pissed. Also willing to bet that most of the out of state protesters are from far away lands such as....New Jersey.

In a similar vein, Minneapolis City Hall is closer to Wisconsin than the Texas Capitol is to San Marcos.

Yeah, geographic distances are pretty important along with the specific state they're from. 1 in 7 people being from out of state at a huge gathering in NYC seems like a low number.

1 in 7 being from out of state at a huge gathering in Austin would seem more newsworthy.

There are 9 or 10 states closer to NYC than any other state is to Austin.

Edited by Huckleberry

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

EMAW telling on himself for not being able to have multiple thoughts in his head at the same time.

Like it's possible to agree Floyd was murdered and that also does not give anyone the right to destroy innocent people's property and take away their jobs and businesses?  Everyone is going to remember the killing of Floyd.  Who is going to remember everyone else (cops, protesters, rioters, looters, and anyone else unlucky enough to be in the wrong situation at the wrong time) who has been killed due to the response?

• Fuck You 1