Minneapolis is Burning

F250

A underlying reality is that people don't actually like the police. Very few people see a police car and feel better than they did 10 seconds before seeing it. Very few people like the idea of being approached by a cop for any reason.

We have mass-deluded ourselves into worshiping cops through propaganda, but in our hearts we know the truth. This is opening our eyes.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Go on...

The average beat cop wasn't hyper-militarized.  There's a reason Barney Fife only got to carry one bullet on "The Andy Griffith Show".  

Things started to change in the 1980s when surplus military goods started being transferred to local PD departments.

• Like 2

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

The average beat cop wasn't hyper-militarized.  There's a reason Barney Fife only got to carry one bullet on "The Andy Griffith Show".  

Things started to change in the 1980s when surplus military goods started being transferred to local PD departments.

Let's not delude ourselves into thinking they weren't just as abusive and violent back then.  It was fueled by more blatant racism and power abuse, and the leeway that ZERO video recording let flourish.

Remember one of the most defining police/black person interactions in US history was the Rodney King beating.  Which became an issue because of the increased ubiquity of a relatively new invention: the home camcorder.  By the time of the King beating, many households had readily available video cameras.  So, if something happened near their home, they could record it.  Without video of the King beating, there never would have been a story.

Fast Forward to today -- pretty much every person over the age of 12 carries a high-res video camera in their pocket.  That's created a seismic shift.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fast Forward to today -- pretty much every person over the age of 12 carries a high-res video camera in their pocket.  That's created a seismic shift.

This right here is one of the biggest tools people can and are using to fight back against police brutality. You will wind up on video now and you can upload it and have the footage seen around the world in a matter of hours. The more video people continue to take and post of police brutality the better.

Edited by UpperWestside

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, I think you're off base, but I'm smart enough to know I will never out-Brisket Brisket, so whatever you say, dude.  I only lived it.

He's not a God, my dude. Debate ideas and theories. Let us all read the debate and add our context. It all helps us find the truth. 

• Like 1

honestly, one of the most surprising things for me out of all this is just how fucked up the Minneapolis PD is, specifically. LAPD, NYPD, hell even HPD and APD, i knew/ suspected/ would not be shocked...but Minneapolis?? huh

2 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

He's not a God, my dude. Debate ideas and theories. Let us all read the debate and add our context. It all helps us find the truth. 

Well, the very fact that cops are more brazen today WITH ubiquitous camera equipment all over the streets is a start.

I'm not saying there were not bad cops, no racist cops, no problems in 1975.  I'm saying it's worse now.  

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, the very fact that cops are more brazen today WITH ubiquitous camera equipment all over the streets is a start.

I'm not saying there were not bad cops, no racist cops, no problems in 1975.  I'm saying it's worse now.  

The argument is that it isn't necessarily worse today it just wasn't documented at the rate it is now. Militarization is a huge issue but we can't fathom the rate of back-country beatings, hangings, draggings, burnings, shootings and more that occurred in a time where public racism was still largely accepted and in isolation from any form of social arena. 

Brazen, yes. There is still racism, but I lean towards it being worse previously. And I hope we can continue to push racism out of acceptance around the globe. 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear

honestly, one of the most surprising things for me out of all this is just how fucked up the Minneapolis PD is, specifically. LAPD, NYPD, hell even HPD and APD, i knew/ suspected/ would not be shocked...but Minneapolis?? huh
All went to pot after Marge Gunderson solved that double homicide and moved to Phoenix.

It doesn't help that police shootings have never been accurately counted.

I grew up in that back-country, redneck middle America, and I spent a great deal of time with my grandmother in the slums of St. Louis.  In neither environment were the police even remotely as aggressive and militarized as they are today.  Anecdotal information?  Sure.  It's really fucking informed, though.  Feel free to "feel" your way around the issue, though.  I can't convince you otherwise, and I sure ain't convincing Brisket, Esquire.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

It doesn't help that police shootings have never been accurately counted.

I grew up in that back-country, redneck middle America, and I spent a great deal of time with my grandmother in the slums of St. Louis.  In neither environment were the police even remotely as aggressive and militarized as they are today.  Anecdotal information?  Sure.  It's really fucking informed, though.  Feel free to "feel" your way around the issue, though.  I can't convince you otherwise, and I sure ain't convincing Brisket, Esquire.

Sadly, regardless, the stat doesn't matter. We still have an issue today so needs to be addressed, regardless of if on an increasing or decreasing trend line. 

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

A underlying reality is that people don't actually like the police. Very few people see a police car and feel better than they did 10 seconds before seeing it. Very few people like the idea of being approached by a cop for any reason.

Seriously – who the hell likes talking to or even seeing a cop? 

4 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

It's worse right now with respect to white people. With increased militarization they're starting to get at least some (though no where near as much) bullshit that blacks have received from police for the last century.

That's probably true. 

Let's not forget a huge driver in police intimidation and outright brutality:  the War on Drugs.  The incarceration rate for whites is actually catching up to that for blacks, although still some 75% lower.  At its peak, that rate was probably 85% lower.  I'm not saying incarceration rates are a proxy for police violence, but it does provide some flavor on the issue.

• Like 3

That's probably true. 
Let's not forget a huge driver in police intimidation and outright brutality:  the War on Drugs.  The incarceration rate for whites is actually catching up to that for blacks, although still some 75% lower.  At its peak, that rate was probably 85% lower.  I'm not saying incarceration rates are a proxy for police violence, but it does provide some flavor on the issue.

The war on drugs and for profit prisons are the worst. The worst, I tells ya.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

We have mass-deluded ourselves into worshiping cops through propaganda, but in our hearts we know the truth. This is opening our eyes.

We want to trust the police because we need a functioning law enforcement agency for both protection and to remove bad actors from society.   Think of it as an abusive parent.  The kid still needs a parent, and wants to have a parent, and a normal function is a good thing for a kid.  

The current situation we are all aware of.  I think the defunding of the police is the best idea to break the current law enforcement culture.  I think blacking the blue would also help once the PD's are replaced with a new iteration of police.  Like Prince, they need a new name though.  

Forty years ago, white America that didn't want to think too much about the topic imagined  Ponch and Jon or TJ Hooker if they thought about the police at all (other than the occasional speeding ticket).

I support your point about removing bad actors from society, but I also agree that the current culture is toxic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Forty years ago, white America that didn't want to think too much about the topic imagined  Ponch and Jon or TJ Hooker if they thought about the police at all (other than the occasional speeding ticket).

I support your point about removing bad actors from society, but I also agree that the current culture is toxic.

Bingo.  And, in the years of our childhood, we did what we've done for centuries: marginalized and disbelieved black voices when they told us the cops were shitty.   We either dismissed it as exaggeration, often based on our own experiences (the cops have never beaten ME up), or even worse, lazily allowed ourselves to think "well, maybe....but then again, maybe black folks shouldn't get in so much trouble."  Not until the camera phone showed us how consistent and widespread the abuse is did large swaths of America conclude "well, sonofabitch....maybe those folks weren't full of shit all those years."

Underneath it all, a large part of what's happening now culturally is white America saying "well goddamit....we're sorry we didn't believe you for so long.  That was pretty shitty of us.  We believe you now.  So let's make it right."

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I’ve thought a lot about the TV/Hollywood aspect of this lately, especially with the random cop show shout outs.  About our cultural attraction to cop shows, the glamorization and how that possibly helped us to this current state of public servants as privileged celebrities.  I mean the same could be said of politicians, but the whole thing is just weird.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Underneath it all, a large part of what's happening now culturally is white America saying "well goddamit....we're sorry we didn't believe you for so long.  That was pretty shitty of us.  We believe you now.  So let's make it right do something about it... NOT the things you're saying we should do, because that's too much and will help Cheetoh Covfefe Orange Mussolini, but you know... something."

fixed