Countdown to kickoff 2020

Longboard Horn

My Dad (Mickey Riggs - ‘63) invited my son and I to “Brunch with the Longhorns” prior to either the 08 or 08 game that we hosted Baylor (RG3’s) sophomore or junior year. We met him at the field house and I bought my son an autograph book prior to arriving.

Upon meeting my dad, we walked inside to the room for the buffet and my dad went to sit at a table with some players he played with/recognized. At the table was Tommy Nobis, David McWilliams, and Ed Padgett- to be inducted in the DKR “Ring of Honor” that day. After stating our greeting, I told my son to get his autograph book out, because it didn’t get much better than that - IMO.

After a little resistance from my son, I asked why he didn’t want them to sign his book? All he said was they were a bunch of “old guys” and he though he was eating with the “real/current” Longhorns!

Later on, I saw Roger Clemens from a distance and pointed him in that direction, which made his day. The only one he’d ever heard of.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1