HBO Max streaming service

Saint Austin

I downloaded it yesterday, using my AppleTV, and I was able to sign with my TV provider AT&T UVerse. 

The catalog is pretty impressive. They combined HBO with Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, and TBS. 

I think it has potential to be the Netflix for Olds. I don't mean that disparagingly. I love classic movies, especially Westerns. Netflix really doesn't have many Golden Age of Hollywood type films.  

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I was able to download the ios app, log initially using my AT&T/DTV acct and create an HBO Max account in the ios app.  Then I downloaded the app on the TV and logged in (via the browser on my phone) with the ID I just created.   I tried to get the TV app to validate just using the ATT ID but it didn't work until I went back into the ios app and created the HBO Max acct. there.

Edited by Scary Stranger

3 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

I was able to download the ios app, log initially using my AT&T/DTV acct and create an HBO Max account in the ios app.  Then I downloaded the app on the TV and logged in (via the browser on my phone) with the ID I just created.   I tried to get the TV app to validate just using the ATT ID but it didn't work until I went back into the ios app and created the HBO Max acct. there.

Hard pass.

1 hour ago, Saint Austin said:

This launched yesterday, but I still can’t sign in with my DirecTV/AT&T accounts. Anyone else having the same issue?

Same thing. Going to give it a few days and try again.

Replacing HBO NOW. GO was for people who have HBO through their provider and want to watch on another device.

It’s the same price as as NOW was (14.99) but there are promotions for AT&T customers.

The library is not just for olds. My 14 year old is excited about Friends and all the Studio Ghibli movies as well as all the classic Looney Tunes and Cartoon Network. It has all the HBO movies and shows.

The DC content is incomplete, but I assume that will come.

12 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Replacing HBO NOW. GO was for people who have HBO through their provider and want to watch on another device.

It’s the same price as as NOW was (14.99) but there are promotions for AT&T customers.

The library is not just for olds. My 14 year old is excited about Friends and all the Studio Ghibli movies as well as all the classic Looney Tunes and Cartoon Network. It has all the HBO movies and shows.

The DC content is incomplete, but I assume that will come.

I thought their plan was to keep both Now and Max, but if it's at the same price no one is going to want Now.

53 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

AT&T wants to charge me $14.99 for HBO Max even though I'm already an HBO subscriber.  Fuck them.  I don't like all of the streaming bs.  I'm going to go outside and yell at the clouds now.

If you have AT&T it should be a free upgrade-

Some HBO Max distributors unlock an HBO Max upgrade at no extra cost for their current HBO and HBO Now customers, thanks to deals HBO Max has struck with them. You qualify for the HBO Max upgrade at no extra cost if you already pay for HBO through: 

• AT&T (HBO's parent company) and DirecTV, U-verse, AT&T TV Now, AT&T TV and AT&T wireless users who can add HBO with certain unlimited plans
  • Charter and its Spectrum services
  • YouTube TV or Google
  • Apple
  • Hulu
  • Altice USA and its Optimum and Suddenlink services
  • Verizon and its Fios services
  • Cox Communications
  • The NCTC group of independent cable and broadband companies -- that includes WOW!, Atlantic Broadband, RCN, Grande Communications & Wave, MCTV and others. (Check if your pay-TV provider is an NCTC member.)
  • Comcast X1 and Flex customers

58 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I thought their plan was to keep both Now and Max, but if it's at the same price no one is going to want Now.

Now is (now) Max. 

I have it on my Ipad and when I updated it yesterday it switched to HBO Max and gave me all the additional shows. 

Also if you are paying through a cable service that isn't listed above just drop it through them and sign up directly through Apple, Google or HBO and you will have access to everything. 

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

Fucking bullshit that this and Apple TV+ isn't available on my LG OLED.

Preach on! C8 model here.  I got a Roku stick just for Apple TV+ but HBO Max isn't on it either yet.  I use the current version of HBO Now through the LG Amazon Prime Video app (have to subscribe through Amazon).  But Amazon is not allowed to distribute Max content through Prime yet.  Of course AirPlay2 would solve it...wait, the LG doesn't have that either!  Damn nice picture though...

• Like 1

Yeah I preordered through HBO only to realize it wasn’t ready for Roku. No problem, I can just pass through YouTube Tv and log in. Of course not, I have to create the account through the YouTube Tv and and pay and cancel previous membership even thought both use the same email address.

Might be a work around, I just haven’t looked yet.

Preach on! C8 model here.  I got a Roku stick just for Apple TV+ but HBO Max isn't on it either yet.  I use the current version of HBO Now through the LG Amazon Prime Video app (have to subscribe through Amazon).  But Amazon is not allowed to distribute Max content through Prime yet.  Of course AirPlay2 would solve it...wait, the LG doesn't have that either!  Damn nice picture though...

Same here with a C8.
Does the Roku stock do 4K?

15 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I downloaded the app and signed in with my AT&T credentials.  I bet those fuckers still charge me, though.  And I'm still yelling at clouds about all of these different streaming services.

You can log into AT&T and check your cell plan to see if its included.  I think it may only be included with unlimited data plans. 

1 minute ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So HBO won't be available to people who have Roku or FireTV? That's about 60% of the streaming market. They are about to lose a bunch of subscribers. I know I'm not keeping my subscription if I can't watch it in any of my TV's.

I would assume they will be smart enough to add them sooner rather than later. 

2 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So HBO won't be available to people who have Roku or FireTV? That's about 60% of the streaming market. They are about to lose a bunch of subscribers. I know I'm not keeping my subscription if I can't watch it in any of my TV's.

Now and Go are available. Not Max yet 

We stream AT&T Now for live TV, with a little extra for HBO so this is basically free, aside from the minute or two to register, but my time is cheap right now. 

Anywho ‘Once Upon a Time in the West’ popped up in the TCM offerings. Good night kids

Edited by mr. sunshine

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i have directvnow (which is now attnow) and keep getting emails about free access to hbo max.

but i access attnow through roku, which doesn't have hbo max yet?

so how am i supposed to watch this shit?

Doesn't matter. Once you finally get there they won't be able to verify your HBO subscription. Please contact your service provider. 

50 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

If you have Hulu I think you can get HBO Max as an add-on and play the content through the Hulu app. Might be an option for some of you saying it isn't on your device yet.

Just tried it and this fine print was there right before you click the buy button...

HBO content available via Hulu. Additional content only available via HBO Max app.

Guessing that means the same as when I just got it through YouTube TV.  It added 7 new HBO channels to my YTTV content, which is great and all, but all the extra stuff that comes with HBO Max you have to get through their app, which, as has been discussed, I now know is not available on Fire TV.  Such crap.

I'm not out anything because it was a 7 day free trial, but that looks to be a one time thing, so if/when the app does become available, I'll have to sign all the way up just to try it.  So, I'll be out at least $15 it looks like.  Not a huge deal because whatever on $15, but it's the principle.

The HBOGo app sucks in comparison with Netflix and Prime Video and has sucked the same way for years.

Another puzzling thing is that the Cinemax app sucks even worse.  I get that it's the second-tier HBO channel, but that doesn't mean they need to make the app even shittier.  It still doesn't have cast ability.

Edited by TwiceHorn

19 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i have directvnow (which is now attnow) and keep getting emails about free access to hbo max.

but i access attnow through roku, which doesn't have hbo max yet?

so how am i supposed to watch this shit?

Do you have a Hulu account?   Even the cheapest plan will supposedly let you run HBO Max through it.

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Do you have a Hulu account?   Even the cheapest plan will supposedly let you run HBO Max through it.

That's what I thought, but someone up above said you still need the HBO specific app.

3 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

That's what I thought, but someone up above said you still need the HBO specific app.

So we are trying to get it, but apparently because we are bundled with The Mouse, we can't do it.  So we can see on Hulu where it mentions subscribing and see all of the links, etc., but we can't do the HBO Max add-on.  Annoying, because I am ditching Hulu next month once a few shows are done, and so I have to untangle everything and then try again.

Indications seem to be that if you have a standalone Hulu account, you can subscribe through Hulu itself, and watch HBO content on Hulu.

38 minutes ago, Tommy Shelby said:

This feels like we are going to go back to bundling and getting crap we don't want like cable was doing. 

the main difference being that, if you remember, you can sub->binge->cancel a bit more readily.  you don't fuck up your internet, for example.  though, if they have enough content to drop big shows monthly, or do like amazon and charge you yearly, that isn't as much an option. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tommy Shelby said:

This feels like we are going to go back to bundling and getting crap we don't want like cable was doing. 

Yep, Disney/Fox and HBO/Warner Brothers/etc. won't be on any other streaming services going forward, once the existing contracts expire.  Same with CBS/Paramount, and NBC/Universal.

Stil, like elfenix said, you can watch and cancel, watch and cancel, and not have to worry about it screwing with your TV/internet.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with incentives and the like.  I picked up CBS for Picard (kinda wish I hadn't), after having had it in the past for Discovery, and when I went to cancel, it automatically offered me 2 free months to stick around.

Disney's pricing is for the long haul though - they made it cheap enough, that many folks won't bother with canceling, since it'll just be another few months before another show comes along they want to watch.

• Like 2