HBO Max streaming service

Saint Austin

On 5/30/2020 at 5:45 PM, elfenix said:

the main difference being that, if you remember, you can sub->binge->cancel a bit more readily.  you don't fuck up your internet, for example.  though, if they have enough content to drop big shows monthly, or do like amazon and charge you yearly, that isn't as much an option. 

Yeah, this is true. I just wonder when that domino falls though. I thought it was going to after the whole Last Week Tonight thing. Where instead internet companies shifted the cost to the consumers with a tiered speed system and cutting broadband speeds at night. 

On 5/30/2020 at 5:54 PM, Deej said:

Anyone else getting shitty sound quality through HBO Max? Running through my 4k Apple TV. Everything else I stream is just fine. 

Yes. Have a Dolby Atmos set up and the volume is wildly inconsistent. 

On 5/30/2020 at 5:54 PM, Deej said:

Anyone else getting shitty sound quality through HBO Max? Running through my 4k Apple TV. Everything else I stream is just fine. 

Yes. I was watching Season 2 of the Larry Sanders show last night, and the sound cut out for about 10 seconds. I checked my sound bar and the TV. It was definitely the app or the sound quality of the recording. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Well I finally was able to access HBO Max after spending an hour or so on the phone with AT&T. I can log in, watch promos and download shows, but I can't stream anything. Getting "Unable to access this video at this time. Please try again later."

Here's a hack for getting HBO Max on Fire TV.  Wish I'd seen it before my free trial ran out, I'd have given it a shot.  Not sure I want to get another new subscription just to see if this workaround works.  Anyone else already have an HBO Max account and want to try it?

https://www.techhive.com/article/3546238/how-cord-cutters-can-get-hbo-max-on-fire-tv.html

• Like 1

I'm watching Giant before HBO pulls it.

The Elizabeth Taylor barbacoa scene remains hilarious. I don't think it's ever been served that way in the history of BBQ, but it makes for good film. 

Coaxing Ms. Taylor into doing horse stunt scenes must have been a blast for the director. 

11 hours ago, Js1 said:

If you use HBO Go on roku or firestick, it’ll be gone after 7/31. Unless they work it out, there will be no Go and no Max for people like us beginning in August....

Don't think HBO/Warner/AT&T can afford not to be on one of the largest hardware streaming platforms, but they have deep pockets. 

Are Cinemax shows on this?  I saw if I switch my google fiber to ATT fiber, then I get HBO max free.  

We had ATT Fiber installed in our condos a year ago, I remember looking when they installed they were more expensive than Google, but now they are cheaper by I think $20 dollars plus HBO, but i haven't had any issues with Google fiber for the 7+ years I've had it, so sort of worried about switching to ATT fiber.

I guess I need to see if that sideload for ATV works.

4 hours ago, BNB said:

Are Cinemax shows on this?  I saw if I switch my google fiber to ATT fiber, then I get HBO max free.  

We had ATT Fiber installed in our condos a year ago, I remember looking when they installed they were more expensive than Google, but now they are cheaper by I think $20 dollars plus HBO, but i haven't had any issues with Google fiber for the 7+ years I've had it, so sort of worried about switching to ATT fiber.

I guess I need to see if that sideload for ATV works.

Max should be available on Apple TV already 

I can confirm Eastbound and Down Season 1 is still great. Katy Mixon getting real fat makes me sad.

I might like Vice Principals more. Short and sweet with all the timer Walton Goggins. Eastbound at its best is better, but VPs was consistently funny. The final season of Eastbound was not good. 

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Don't think HBO/Warner/AT&T can afford not to be on one of the largest hardware streaming platforms, but they have deep pockets. 

Agreed, the articles about this have said that a huge portion of HBO subscriptions now come through Amazon.  It will get worked out before or shortly after the deadline.

• 3 weeks later...

So I’m watching a documentary on HBO called “Welcome to Chechnya”.

It’s about the persecution of LGBTQ people in Chechnya and the failure of Putin and the Russian government to stop Ramzan Kadyrov (batshit President of the Chechen Republic) and his secret police from kidnapping, imprisoning, torturing, and murdering LGBTQ citizens.

It focuses on a secret group of activists who run an underground railroad to evacuate queer citizens from Chechnya and Russia.

It’s harrowing and maddening.

Here’s an interview with Kadyrov.

He’s fucking insane.

Thanks for bumping this and reminding me that they haven't worked things out with Roku/Amazon yet.

I would pick up a cheap Google device for $35 or so (the 1080p one), but there's apparently some Holy Grail of streaming devices that Google is releasing in the fall for $80 or under, "Sabrina", so I'll have to wait.

On 7/11/2020 at 10:41 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Thanks for bumping this and reminding me that they haven't worked things out with Roku/Amazon yet.

I would pick up a cheap Google device for $35 or so (the 1080p one), but there's apparently some Holy Grail of streaming devices that Google is releasing in the fall for $80 or under, "Sabrina", so I'll have to wait.

Any news on this?  The sunset of HBO Go is supposed to be this week right?

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

https://www.cnet.com/news/hbo-max-hbo-go-hbo-now-roku-amazon-fire-tv-ending/

HBO Go is going away - July 31 because HBO Max is now "widely distributed"  (lololol,except on Roku and Fire TV) 

HBO Now will just be a basic HBO app (no Max content) 

So will traditional cable HBO subscribers be SOL for streaming or can I use HBO Now?

4 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

So will traditional cable HBO subscribers be SOL for streaming or can I use HBO Now?

No, HBO Now is a la carte only.  HBO Go is/was on-the-go for those with traditional HBO subscriptions or through a streaming service.

You're basically fucked unless Roku/Amazon come to an agreement in the next few weeks.  That's why I caved and bought an Apple TV - plus it's much more smoother of an interface than my built-in Fire TV with its freezing, crashing apps and slow response. 

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Any news on this?  The sunset of HBO Go is supposed to be this week right?

HBO/Warner/AT&T watch the HBO Max reddit pretty closely.   People bitching about no Roku get their threads locked/deleted pretty quickly.

Everything I've read said Amazon and Roku have everything ready to go.  Not sure where the hangup is, but since AT&T owns HBO Max and is involved....

I haven't watched the actual hbo cable channel in probably 5 years. This roku bullshit is going to be what actually gets me to cancel the hbo sub for the first time since I left my parents house 20 years ago. Att has already flushed the quality of programming, so I guess hbo has joined the trash heap of starz/showtime where I sub for one month a year and catch up on anything worth watching. 

I'd never seen River's Edge before and... enjoyed it? Would at least recommend it. Early Keanu and a truly unhinged Crispin Glover performance.

There's also a 70s movie I've been wanting to watch called The Night Porter that sounds super fucked up. After a chance meeting at a hotel in 1957, Holocaust survivor Lucia and Nazi officer Max, who tortured her, resume their sadomasochistic relationship.

Also The Hunger's a must if you've never seen it. Tony Scott's first film. David Bowie and Catherine Deneuve as bisexual vampires.

Basically, this is the ashes of FilmStruck and I'm not mad about it.

2 hours ago, Queen Bitch said:

There's also a 70s movie I've been wanting to watch called The Night Porter that sounds super fucked up. After a chance meeting at a hotel in 1957, Holocaust survivor Lucia and Nazi officer Max, who tortured her, resume their sadomasochistic relationship.

It stars Charlotte Rampling.  I have the Criterion DVD of it.  

On 7/17/2020 at 9:00 PM, Queen Bitch said:

Also The Hunger's a must if you've never seen it. Tony Scott's first film. David Bowie and Catherine Deneuve as bisexual vampires.

That’s redundant. You try being immortal and sticking to only boning one gender for eternity. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 2:31 PM, kevwun said:

I swear it's like AT&T doesn't want people to watch HBO.

And yet this is showing up August 1st.

• 10,000 BC, 2008
  • All the President’s Men, 1976
  • Altered States, 1980
  • Awkwafina is Nora from Queens, Season 1
  • Bad Influence, 1990 (HBO)
  • Barefoot in the Park, 1967
  • Barkleys of Broadway, 1949
  • Batman (1989), 1989
  • Batman & Robin, 1997
  • Batman Begins, 2005
  • Batman Forever, 1995
  • Batman Returns, 1992
  • The Bear, 1989 (HBO)
  • Bee Season, 2005 (HBO)
  • Before Sunrise, 1995 (HBO)
  • Before Sunset, 2004 (HBO)
  • Biloxi Blues, 1988 (HBO)
  • Blade Runner: The Final Cut, 2007
  • Blue Crush, 2002 (HBO)
  • The Candidate, 1972
  • Carefree, 1938
  • The Change-Up (Unrated Version), 2011 (HBO)
  • Chariots of Fire, 1981
  • Contact, 1997
  • The Dark Knight 2008
  • The Dishwasher, 2020 (HBO)
  • Driving Miss Daisy, 1989
  • Elf, 2003
  • The First Grader, 2011 (HBO)
  • The First Wives Club, 1996
  • Flipper, 1996 (HBO)
  • Flying Down to Rio, 1933
  • Flying Leathernecks, 1951
  • Fool’s Gold, 2008
  • Fracture, 2007
  • The Fugitive, 1993
  • The Gay Divorcee, 1934
  • Get on Up, 2014 (HBO)
  • Go Tell It on the Mountain, 2004 (HBO)
  • Grace Unplugged, 2013 (HBO)
  • Hard to Kill, 1990
  • Harley Quinn, Seasons 1 & 2
  • Highlander: The Final Dimension, 1995 (HBO)
  • Highlander IV: Endgame, 2000 (HBO)
  • The Hindenburg, 1975 (HBO)
  • Hours, 2013 (HBO)
  • House of Wax, 2005
  • House Party, 1990
  • House Party 2, 1991
  • House Party: Tonight’s the Night, 2013
  • How to Be a Player, 1997 (HBO)
  • Idiocracy, 2006 (HBO)
  • Interview with the Vampire, 1994
  • Jeremiah Johnson, 1972
  • Jim Thorpe: All-American, 1951
  • Jojo Rabbit, 2019 (HBO)
  • Kung Fu Panda, 2008
  • Kung Fu Panda 2, 2011
  • Leprechaun, 1993 (HBO)
  • Leprechaun 2, 1994 (HBO)
  • Leprechaun 3, 1995 (HBO)
  • Leprechaun 4: In Space, 1997 (HBO)
  • Leprechaun: Origins, 2014 (HBO)
  • The Long Kiss Goodnight, 1996
  • The Lost Boys: The Thirst, 2010 (HBO)
  • The Lost Boys: The Tribe, 2008 (HBO)
  • Love Field, 1992 (HBO)
  • Lovelace, 2013 (HBO)
  • Lying And Stealing, 2019 (HBO)
  • The Marine, 2006 (HBO)
  • Martha Marcy May Marlene, 2011 (HBO)
  • Marvin’s Room, 1996 (HBO)
  • Maverick, 1994
  • Monkeybone, 2001 (HBO)
  • Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium, 2007 (HBO)
  • Murder at 1600, 1997
  • The Mustang, 2019 (HBO)
  • My Blue Heaven, 1990
  • My Sister’s Keeper, 2009
  • Nell, 1994 (HBO)
  • New Year’s Eve, 2011 (HBO)
  • Ocean’s Eleven, 2001
  • On Dangerous Ground, 1952
  • On Golden Pond, 1981 (HBO)
  • Phantom, 2013 (HBO)
  • Pi, 1998 (HBO)
  • Raise the Titanic, 1980 (HBO)
  • Roberta, 1935
  • Romeo Must Die, 2000
  • Savages, 2012 (HBO)
  • Say It Isn’t So, 2001 (HBO)
  • Serendipity, 2001
  • Skyline, 2010 (HBO)
  • South Central, 1992
  • Spy Game, 2001 (HBO)
  • Steven Universe: The Movie (2019)
  • The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle, 1939
  • Striptease, 1996
  • Swing Time, 1936
  • They Live by Night, 1949
  • Things Never Said, 2020 (HBO)
  • Three Days of the Condor, 1975
  • Time Bandits, 1981 (HBO)
  • Top Hat, 1935
  • Two Minutes of Fame, 2020 (HBO)
  • Walk the Line, 2005 (HBO)
  • Wedding Crashers, 2005
  • Without Limits, 1998
  • Yes Man, 2008
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

Went to check this out today (I get it free with AT&T fiber) and could not find it on my Roku TV that I use for the majority of my TV viewing. Turns out that HBO and Roku are in a dispute and there is no app yet. WTF?

Same with Amazon.  This is what AT&T does.  HBO hasn't been on Dish for like 2 years now.  AT&T also won't do agreement for their sports channels.  They need to be broken up because they are fucking over consumers.  They aren't supposed to withhold HBO in order to hurt competitors and they said they wouldn't before the merger.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1