HBO Max streaming service

Saint Austin

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

When the fuck are they gonna get an app for LG smart tv's?   I like not having to have device plugged into the damn tv

Yeah.  I'm not too pleased with no app for our main TV, an older Vizio.  I bought a new Samsung for the study earlier in the year and it has the HBO Max.  My wife's solution is to buy a new TV for the living room.  I suspect there is something I can plug into one of the many HDMI ports that can get us HBO Max for less than $700.

3 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Yeah.  I'm not too pleased with no app for our main TV, an older Vizio.  I bought a new Samsung for the study earlier in the year and it has the HBO Max.  My wife's solution is to buy a new TV for the living room.  I suspect there is something I can plug into one of the many HDMI ports that can get us HBO Max for less than $700.

We have a Samsung, and our HBO Max app stopped working, saying we need to update the app, but providing no way to update it.  WTF?

we use roku but luckily have a samsung smart tv that provides a little shortcut.  it's mildly annoying, since we don't use the smart features for anything except hbo max at this point.

my sister in law, however, only uses roku and has an older tv.  what's the cheapest way for her to get it?  amazon fire stick or something?  she was all stoked to use our login info, and now somehow this is my problem to fix.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Is there release date for Dune? It looks like Saints of Newark should be out in March. I’m sure David Chase is deeply pissed his baby isn’t getting a wide theatrical release. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is there release date for Dune? It looks like Saints of Newark should be out in March. I’m sure David Chase is deeply pissed his baby isn’t getting a wide theatrical release. 

October 1 I think.

All these films are getting simultaneous releases. Theater and HBO Max (for 30 days)

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

we use roku but luckily have a samsung smart tv that provides a little shortcut.  it's mildly annoying, since we don't use the smart features for anything except hbo max at this point.

my sister in law, however, only uses roku and has an older tv.  what's the cheapest way for her to get it?  amazon fire stick or something?  she was all stoked to use our login info, and now somehow this is my problem to fix.

firestick does have an app now so that might be the cheapest way to go

Anyone using the HBO Max app on FireTV yet?  Anyone else have the same unfuckingbearably slow load times, buffers, glitches, etc?

Of course, the only thing I've found to fix it is "reset your device" or "reset the app" or "check your wifi connection".  Well no shit.  Tried all that with no improvements.  And the wifi is fine...runs every other app and device flawlessly.  I guess I'll be canceling if I can't figure something out.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Anyone using the HBO Max app on FireTV yet?  Anyone else have the same unfuckingbearably slow load times, buffers, glitches, etc?

Of course, the only thing I've found to fix it is "reset your device" or "reset the app" or "check your wifi connection".  Well no shit.  Tried all that with no improvements.  And the wifi is fine...runs every other app and device flawlessly.  I guess I'll be canceling if I can't figure something out.

on a fire TV and a fire cube, zero issues

14 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

The old HBO Now app on our Fire Stick used to constantly stop to buffer when every other app worked fine. I think it is fair to say that the people behind everything app related at HBO are just incompetent. 

Having used the HBOGo app for a number of years, I would completely agree with this.

Another really weird thing, their Cinemax app, MAXGo, was virtually identical in look, feel, and functionality, but contained no chromecast "link" or button, ever.  Long after it appeared in HBOGo.  I mean, I know it's their second-tier channel, but JFC.

11 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Airplay isn't available yet for our 2018 OLED.   So stupid.

This shit right here pisses me off to no end.  The worst part for me is my TV is installed flat against the wall so I can’t get to the inputs to plug in a ROKU or Firestick.  I need LG to add the app.  Same goes for Apple TV.   It sucks to have a TV with a great picture but I can’t access to of the main streamers right now.  

Huge news and another blow to theaters

All the new Warner Bros. movies coming to HBO Max, from 'Wonder Woman 1984' to 'The Suicide Squad'
Patrick Ryan
USA TODAY

There are 18 more reasons not to leave your couch next year.

With COVID-19 cases spiking nationwide, Warner Bros. made the surprising announcement Thursday that it will be releasing all of its 2021 movies on HBO Max the same day as each hits theaters.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/movies/2020/12/04/hbo-max-every-warner-bros-movie-streaming-dune-matrix-4/3823356001/

16 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

Anyone checked out the Heavens Gate doc?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Not yet.  Oddly enough, the original Heaven's Gate website is still up.  Came across it reading up on the doc as I didn't immediately recognize the name from your post.

Heavensgate.com

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

I'll post this here understanding this may be too dense for folks who just want to understand what's going on with the app, but this is the background to HBO Max and the strategy and business plan behind it.  I read it the other day and found it interesting.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/04/att-dismantles-time-warner-to-battle-netflix-the-inside-story.html

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Not yet.  Oddly enough, the original Heaven's Gate website is still up.  Came across it reading up on the doc as I didn't immediately recognize the name from your post.

Heavensgate.com

Pre-paying the geocities account for 25 years doesn't show much confidence in their predictions.

• Hook 'Em 1

Now that Disney+ has completely upped the ante, and shocked the hell out of everybody, wonder if WB/HBO is going to announced even just 50 new shows and movies.

Well if the 2021 strategy works (making all theatrical releases available online for the first month) in addition to what HBO has done for years (must see series) they could be competitive for sure.

Anyone checked out the Heavens Gate doc?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I just finished it last night. I knew some about heavens gate but the doc covered a lot more details than one would casually know. A big component of the series is what drives people to join cults as well. It was worth watching but it is pretty depressing, especially seeing some of the people left behind.