HBO Max streaming service

Saint Austin

On 1/16/2021 at 1:42 PM, Js1 said:

Godzilla v Kong is moving from May to March 

Going to watch the shit out of Godzilla v Kong. Given its director and nightmarish production history it should have a god-awful storyline and terrible acting. In it for loud dumb monster fights.

On 1/17/2021 at 5:39 PM, Mileslong said:

Is it wrong for me wanting all of the characters to die?

Nope

On 1/17/2021 at 5:53 PM, Helobious said:

Going to watch the shit out of Godzilla v Kong. Given its director and nightmarish production history it should have a god-awful storyline and terrible acting. In it for loud dumb monster fights.

Fucking yeah. I don’t watch those for plot and dialogue. I want see smashing and fighting 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2021 at 12:12 AM, Buzzrock said:

Birds of Prey is terrible. I don’t understand how it got any good reviews. Alternatively annoying and boring.

I would have watched this just for Margot Robbie if Suicide Squad wasn't one of the worst comic book movies I've ever seen.

The fact there isn't already a 1000 page thread dedicated to Gomorra: La Serie is a gotdamn human tragedy.  It is one of the best shows I've ever seen.  If you thought the Sopranos was groundbreaking because the protagonist was a sociopath, I present to you Gomorra:La Serie, where there are no discernable protagonists and everyone is more or less murderous, unrepentent, and beyond redemption.  That we could spend years across boards and multiple threads hashing over the steaming pile of dogshit that GoT became, and there are like three casual mentions of Gomorra is a travesty. 

[/sucks teeth]

6 hours ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

The fact there isn't already a 1000 page thread dedicated to Gomorra: La Serie is a gotdamn human tragedy.  It is one of the best shows I've ever seen.  If you thought the Sopranos was groundbreaking because the protagonist was a sociopath, I present to you Gomorra:La Serie, where there are no discernable protagonists and everyone is more or less murderous, unrepentent, and beyond redemption.  That we could spend years across boards and multiple threads hashing over the steaming pile of dogshit that GoT became, and there are like three casual mentions of Gomorra is a travesty. 

[/sucks teeth]

So true, amazing television. Have you seen season 4? I've heard its completely awful and that the show wouldve done well to end after season 3. 

On 2/1/2021 at 6:14 PM, JSB said:

Just finished rewatching Eastbound and Down. Fuck Katy Mixon was a smoke show before she got fat.

That is all

It breaks my fucking heart every time I see a promo for American Housewife. I refuse to watch it.

On 2/1/2021 at 7:23 PM, bernorange said:

Started watching Chernobyl (HBO miniseries).  Haven't seen it before.  2 episodes in currently.  Good stuff.

Finished it last night.

First - Why can't HBO Max and Amazon Prime learn from Netflix how to build a good user interface?  If I start watching a series, make it easy for me to continue watching it.  HBO Max buries a lot of their content.  You really have to search for it to find it.

With respect to Chernobyl, it's a 6 episode mini series.  Episodes 1,2 and 6 were really powerful.  I learned a lot about the story that I didn't know even though I was a senior in high school when the reactor exploded and watched the nightly news about it back in the day.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 9:24 PM, Barbacoa said:

So true, amazing television. Have you seen season 4? I've heard its completely awful and that the show wouldve done well to end after season 3. 

I haven't yet.  There's a guy on the gomorra subreddit who has offered to provide the download to anyone who asks, but I'll wait for it to come on max.  I heard the same about S.3, and it was good, so I'm hoping S4 isn't as bad as people make it sound.  Also keeping my eyes open for the L'Immortale movie, which is billed as both sequel to S3 and prequel to the series 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Finished it last night.

First - Why can't HBO Max and Amazon Prime learn from Netflix how to build a good user interface?  If I start watching a series, make it easy for me to continue watching it.  HBO Max buries a lot of their content.  You really have to search for it to find it.

With respect to Chernobyl, it's a 6 episode mini series.  Episodes 1,2 and 6 were really powerful.  I learned a lot about the story that I didn't know even though I was a senior in high school when the reactor exploded and watched the nightly news about it back in the day.

I'm guessing it being an older series it's buried on the newer Max platform.  Prime is the worst, at least on my Samsung it's the worst, I find both Amazon and Netflix to be horrible for anything that's not their original content.  HBO is the easiest but that has more to do with the size of their library than their app.  I can scroll through all the movie options pretty quick.  Netflix and prime could get the rights to older great movies and without 3rd parties telling me they are available I'd never know.

Two separate issues.

Browsing/searching the catalogue to see what's available is one thing.  Every service has issues with it but there are practical limits to filtering massive data units into a sensible interface.

What I'm talking about is some intelligence in helping folks continue watching something they have started.  Netflix has a nav bar top of the list to continue watching something - whether a movie or episodic series.  Neither Prime nor Max do that.  If you start watching a movie or TV series and get interrupted, you have to search for it again, and in the case of a TV series, you sometimes even have to remember what episode you last watched or were watching.

• Hook 'Em 3

Rome. 

The only thing I’m super, super bummed with so far is that skinimax had the 8hr combined, chronological order of the Godfather 1/2. Love that version, and it’s also great to turn on and just let go in the background as well. 

The old Max app had it before all the merge and mash and shitshow, so hopefully they bring it back.

At least all the HBO series are on there, which they should have been anyway, but I digress. 

Rome, Boardwalk, Carnival, Band of Brothers, and the list keeps going. 

Plus the other stuff they have now too.

Edited by thunderlounge

On 2/6/2021 at 9:13 PM, A-Tex Devil said:

Someone tell me if The Head is any good before I dive in, double entendres noted but not intended. 

Have watched two episodes so far.  It's a 6 out of 10 so far. 

Has an interesting premise but the characters haven't been developed much so far. Lots of bad decisions and questionable choices. Reminds me of an 80's horror movie.

Hoping it improves or I might bail.

An example of the decisions... someone's been murdered! Let's be sure to put ourselves in situations where we can all be killed one by one! And let's not keep on eye on the person we think did the murdering!

Also, whenever something has to be done outside, a person on the station goes outside alone. Not just between buildings, but to search for someone, work on equipment, etc.  While this may add to the tension, I'm not sure this is really how they do it on an Antarctica research station when it's -30F outside. 

Irresistible, movie from Jon Stewart, Steve Carell stars in it.  Small town mayors race becomes national news.  Pretty good and shows everything wrong with our current political situation.  

Last night we watched the trailer for The Little Things and said WTF was that ???

Ended up watching irresistible. It was enjoyable.

I just signed up for a 6 month long chunk. Flipping through trying to figure out what to watch with the wife. Perry Mason is first up.
New Jack City is a great flick. Hard to believe it's 30 years old. 

Some dorm mates went to see that at the old theater on east riverside. From them telling it, they barely got out with their white lives from all the gang bangers in attendance.