HBO Max streaming service

Saint Austin

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Room 104 is an anthology sci-fi, horror drama series where each episode take place in the same motel room 104. A list guest stars and writing reminiscent of the twilight zone. Id say 1/3 of episodes are great , 1/3 worth watch and 1/3 meh.

I agree with your assessment. I like most of the Duplass Brothers work and that's kind of their MO. Some greatness, some really good and the rest is meh.

12 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I finally got around to watching Rome. I'm not sure what took me so long because, holy shit, that was great. I would rank it way above Game of Thrones. Too bad it only lasted two seasons.

John Milius did a fantastic job on Rome (along with the others).

If we did not have Rome, I don't know that we have Game of Thrones.

Of course, if Rome came out now, we'd probably have a lot more seasons.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Looking for a new binge.

Never really watched the sopranos.  Should we do that or this Banshee show? 

Sopranos changed television. It's quite possibly the best series ever made. Banshee is whatever. 

• Hook 'Em 3

What is this Sopranos show you all keep talking about? Is it any good? I know that the little Sopranos girl grew up and dated Turtle but broke up with him when she got a gig in New Zealand. Turtle was the sads. 

Edited by remoh

On 2/17/2021 at 5:54 PM, Mach 1 said:

The Investigation is pretty interesting.  Danish show about a real murder.

Really enjoying this show. This is how the true crime shows should be - showing the struggle, grit, heartache, triumph, brotherhood and insights behind an investigation. Plus it's Danish so everyone is stoic and mournful.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I know, I know, it’s my fault for watching a cartoon when I don’t even have kids, but Colin Jost is the worst fucking actor I've ever seen, and I’ve seen the GIF of that Howard Stern looking MFer from that 70s/80s horror flick, overreacting to something terrible.

16 hours ago, Red Five said:

Is Jost an actor? He’s not even in skits on SNL.

Jost is a talented writer that can do deadpan ironic delivery. He may be married to Scarlett Johansson, but he'll never be on Inside The Actors Studio.

Edited by RPM

On 3/2/2021 at 7:24 AM, HornOnTheBayou said:

I finally got around to watching Rome. I'm not sure what took me so long because, holy shit, that was great. I would rank it way above Game of Thrones. Too bad it only lasted two seasons.

I'm in the same boat. Will get to it soon. 

I enjoyed this LAT article about the origin of The Flight Attendant possibly more than I enjoyed the series. But it was okay.

Spoiler

Don’t tell Kaley Cuoco not to judge a book by its cover. It worked for her.
“It really was as simple as that,” she says of how she found “The Flight Attendant.” “I’m
not sure anyone believes me, but I was scanning Amazon, and coming [book] releases,
and I saw the sentence on what the book was. I saw the cover, and I was like, ‘Wow.’ 
“The cover was really beautiful. It didn’t look like me, but it was a blond woman with
this hair like she was running,” she says, re-creating the pose in the photo on a Zoom
call, miming the locks flowing behind her with her hands. “And I read the two
sentences, something fun: ‘Drunk flight attendant wakes up next to dead body.’”
Which makes one question Cuoco’s idea of fun, but ...

“I know this sounds cheesy, but I got a huge chill up my spine, and I thought, ‘Oh, my
God, I gotta read this. It’s a movie. No, this could be a TV show.’ I immediately called
my attorney: ‘Can you check if Reese Witherspoon has the rights to this book?’ ”

Fortunately for Cuoco, Witherspoon must have been busy that day, and the former “Big
Bang Theory” star eventually landed the rights to Chris Bohjalian’s novel.
“All of a sudden I was like, ‘What the hell am I supposed to do with this?’ And they’re
like, ‘We thought you had a plan.’ ‘I don’t really have a plan; someone’s gotta help me!’ ”
Thus began Cuoco’s wild ride as the shepherd of a project from start to finish for the
first time. She took it to Peter Roth at Warner Bros., who got the ball rolling, and
teamed with showrunner Steve Yockey (“Supernatural”). She learned producing on the
fly, was deeply involved in the casting and of course starred in the eight episodes of the
HBO Max show, which has received nominations for series, ensemble and lead actress
from SAG, the Critics Choice Awards and the Golden Globes.

All of that is even more impressive when one considers the show’s hairpin tonal shifts.
It’s a comedy-thriller with twists, sex, repressed memories of a cruelty-tinged
childhood, graphic violence and lots and lots of drinking — as in, the lead character,
Cassie, is a functioning alcoholic.

“I’ve known one very well, it’s exactly that: They go to work, they’re successful, they’re
the life of the party, and they can get all their stuff done,” she says, explaining why there
are so many scenes of Cassie downing vodka and so few of her out of control. But to
Cuoco, it was when Cassie didn’t drink that things got interesting.

“If she didn’t get the drink she needed, that’s when she started to spiral. ‘How long has
she been without a drink?’ That’s how she gets through the day. That’s how she goes to
sleep. She has a shot and does her job. She has a really true, true, true problem.”
But it’s a comedy! Or it often is. Sometimes it’s not, and not just when there’s danger of
someone being garroted by a mystery assassin. There’s a very deep vein in which
Cassie’s loving brother (played sympathetically by T.R. Knight) tries to wake her up to
what their childhood was really like, including her role in it.

“It was such a fine line of comedy and drama,” she said. “So many scenes, I would do it
five different ways. I’m like, ‘OK, this one, we’re gonna be funny,’ and then the next one,
I would bawl my eyes out. There were so many options in the editing bay. Getting to see
that from behind the scenes, which I’ve never been able to do my entire career ... if I
could tell you how many conversations we had with the word ‘tone’ involved, it was
nuts.”

She laughs at the thought that all those unused takes could make for a very different
version of “The Flight Attendant.” “We could have a super dark cut,” she says. “We could have a laugh track and do a
sitcom cut. We could do an action movie. We knew what we wanted, but it was going to
be a really fine line of how we got there.”

The show has been renewed for Season 2, and there are plenty of threads to pull. Will
Cassie work with the CIA? Will she continue the ghostly courtship with murder victim
Alex (Michiel Huisman) in her “Mind Palace”? Cuoco says they’ve just settled on their
writers room, and there’s much to be decided, but she knows she wants to follow Cassie
on the rocky road of attempted sobriety.

“Cassie thinks, ‘OK, I’ve dealt with my dad, my brother and I are good, I’m not drinking
anymore and I’m happy,’ and [she’ll realize], ‘Oh, my God, no, I’m not over this.’ This is
a lifelong fight for her, and it’s not going to be as easy as she thinks.”

On 3/6/2021 at 11:34 AM, zman13 said:

Really enjoying this show. This is how the true crime shows should be - showing the struggle, grit, heartache, triumph, brotherhood and insights behind an investigation. Plus it's Danish so everyone is stoic and mournful.

Just finished it.  Room got dusty.

This is a slow burn, and zman descibes it well.

Highly recommend.

On 3/4/2021 at 12:37 PM, MoJames said:

Has anyone watch 30 Coins yet? Intrigued by the trailer but if I invest in a show with subtitles I'd prefer someone else tell me it is worth it before I jump in.

i stumbled upon this one night and watched 2 episodes through.  not saying it was great or anything, but it reminds of some Stephen King type stuff.  God vs Devils, an imperfect priest, possession, people dying violently.  Cannot really comment on the overall story arc though.  you should totally watch it and if you hate it then come back and neg me.

On 3/7/2021 at 10:05 PM, 4th&Five said:

Re: Allen vs. Farrow - How has that little fucker not been rotting in prison for 25 years?

Much respect to Mia Farrow for remaining as calm, strong, and level-headed as she did through all his abuse of the child and his subsequent gaslighting of Mia. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

17 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Banshee season 3 they really turn the volume up to 11, shits going haywire every episode!  

I just started watching Banshee a few nights ago. I'm four episodes in and so far we've got

Spoiler

a shootout in downtown Manhattan
an ex-con stealing the identity of a small-town sheriff after a bar shootout
another ex-con turned smoking hot MILF/wife of the DA
said smoking hot MILF is the daughter of some sort of Eastern European supervillain
Amish man becoming the leader of an underground criminal syndicate
same leader of an underground criminal syndicate killing a man with his dog and accidently dropping the deceased's hand on the floor of a meat-packing plant
hillbilly shootout at a party
a gender-fluid person of color who can hack into any database in the world while beating up homophobic rednecks
rave where a state senator's son dies
an apartment complex full of Aryan skinheads
a very hot and very horny Amish woman
shootout with a biker gang at a town festival

and my personal favorite, the sheriff getting into the ring with and beating the shit out of a MMA champ

And you're telling me things go more even haywire in season 3?!? This show is without a doubt the dumbest and ridiculous thing I've ever seen on TV. But of course I'll keep watching because gratuitous violence and tits.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I just started watching Banshee a few nights ago. I'm four episodes in and so far we've got
Spoiler

said smoking hot MILF is the daughter of some sort of Eastern European supervillain
same leader of an underground criminal syndicate killing a man with his dog and accidently dropping the deceased's hand on the floor of a meat-packing plant
a gender-fluid person of color who can hack into any database in the world while beating up homophobic rednecks
and my personal favorite, the sheriff getting into the ring with and beating the shit out of a MMA champ

And you're telling me things go more even haywire in season 3?!? This show is without a doubt the dumbest and ridiculous thing I've ever seen on TV. But of course I'll keep watching because gratuitous violence and tits.

It ain’t called Banshee for nothing.

This picturesque Pennsylvania village has a murder rate higher than Mogadishu.

3 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Hide contents

stepbrothers-yep-gif.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Hide contents

BC905B9C-6679-455E-A016-2FA7A90777DD.gif

4 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Reveal hidden contents

Sheeeeit, you haven't even seen the gay albino weight lifter, the ill tempered 300-pound-of-muscle American Indian, or psycho/MMA poindexter.

Banshee is fucking awesome from beginning to end.  

Good town, bad blood.

Edited by Mach 1
  • Like 1

Re: Allen vs. Farrow - How has that little fucker not been rotting in prison for 25 years?

It’s a documentary from a self-described activist crew who has used discredited “evidence” in the past (their campus rape doc) so they should be scrutinized. They dropped this one during the #metoo / cancel-culture / white men = evil era, which seems opportunistic at the least. Activism and journalism seem at odds to me.

I believe there is a special place in hell for those who abuse children, and I don’t know if he committed any crimes or not, but using that one documentary to make a decision is pretty unbalanced. He’s not Cosby/Epstein/Weinstein with a long list of victims. He was accused one time 40 years ago but never charged with anything, much less convicted.

This post will likely piss some people off, but all I’m saying is: try to seek out the whole story.

It's not like it's poorly made or full of bonkers theories that don't pay off. It uses raw footage of Mia interviewing young Dylan, audio phone calls between Woody and Mia in the aftermath, interviews with the babysitter who was in the house at the time, etc. 

And respectfully, if anyone was cancelled here... it was Mia. Woody was basically her employer by that time, and her acting career never really recovered. It's not a stretch to assume Hollywood circled its wagons to protect one of their own.

To be clear, I'm not 100% convinced he did it; but I disagree with dismissing the documentary outright. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 7:24 AM, HornOnTheBayou said:

That show was incredible for many reasons.

They cleverly wound Vorenus and Pullo into nearly every major event--Forrest Gump style--during the fall of the republic, from Caesar to Augustus' ascension as last man standing.

Bit of trivia:  Throughout Caesar's campaigns in Gaul over the course of a decade, he regularly published updates his progress as well as a mountain of general info on the region and the peoples they encountered.  The publication was called Commentāriī dē Bellō Gallicō, or Caesar's Commentaries on the Gallic Wars.

In one single passage in one of the volumes, he mentions a first-spear centurion named Lucius Vorenus and a centurion named Titus Pullo.  They're never mentioned again throughout the commentaries.  So, the show's creator decided to build the series entirely around the two of them.  (Pullo is not a centurion in the show, presumably so they can create a superior/subordinate relationship between them)

But my favorite part of the show is the million little details they got right about Rome of that day.  Painted buildings, appropriate armor/uniforms for that time period in Rome, the types of graffiti all over the buildings, mention of the Tarpeian Rock, and on and on.

There were very few inaccuracies along those lines.  One example would've been Atia reclining on a couch when having dinner with guests.  Octavian would have reclined, but Atia and Octavia would've been seated on stools.  And there was some unnecessary stuff that puzzled me. Caesar was never co-consul with Pompey, nor was he consul at any time during his governorship of Gaul.

Anyway, I'm clearly a fan of the program.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 2

What could have been...from the co-creator/writer

I discovered halfway through writing the second season the show was going to end. The second was going to end with the death of Brutus. Third and fourth season would be set in Egypt. Fifth was going to be the rise of the Messiah in Palestine. But because we got the heads-up that the second season would be it, I telescoped the third and fourth season into the second one, which accounts for the blazing speed we go through history near the end. There's certainly more than enough history to go around.