HBO Max streaming service

Saint Austin

• 2 weeks later...

Not crazy about Tenet. I found it very complicated and hard to understand, which basically is a typical Nolan film. Can he not do a movie that is somewhat easy to get through? I love his style but really I can only imagine his presentation to the studio to get it green lit. Maybe by the second or third viewing I’ll figure it out if I make it through the first viewing.

Edited by Brandywine

1 hour ago, Brandywine said:

Not crazy about Tenet. I found it very complicated and hard to understand, which basically is a typical Nolan film. Can he not do a movie that is somewhat easy to get through? I love his style but really I can only imagine his presentation to the studio to get it green lit. Maybe by the second or third viewing I’ll figure it out if I make it through the first viewing.

I liked it. Figured out one of the big plot twists right away. Still; would like to dive into the thread on it now that I’ve actually seen it (wasn’t braving a theater pre vaccines). 

Hacks Jean Smart is an aging stand up on the verge of losing her Las Vegas residency. Her agent teams her with a young female writer (Hannah Einbinder) recently blackballed for calling out a closeted Senator. So far I'm loving it.

On 5/14/2021 at 4:41 AM, RPM said:

Hacks Jean Smart is an aging stand up on the verge of losing her Las Vegas residency. Her agent teams her with a young female writer (Hannah Einbinder) recently blackballed for calling out a closeted Senator. So far I'm loving it.

At this point who can alternate old lady and totally bangable roles better than Jean Smart?

Edited by mr. sunshine
  • Drool 2

On 5/10/2021 at 9:49 AM, Red Five said:

I enjoyed that more than I thought I would. 

same...i think bc it focused on the one small family and the 'disaster' was just backdrop driving the emotional impact as opposed to the special effects being the 'star'. the mom in the road after the separation was gut-wrenching 😕

This is like the 15th preview I've seen promoting the Friends Reunion as a tear jerker. Why it can't it just be funny? 

People gnash their teeth about the Seinfeld finale, but how they handled the "reunion" on Curb was perfectly done. 

I'll watch the Friends Reunion, but I wish it was a scripted show rather than interviews/fan celebration/clip show. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This is like the 15th preview I've seen promoting the Friends Reunion as a tear jerker. Why it can't it just be funny? 

A bunch of 50-somethings living with roommates and working dead end jobs sounds pretty depressing.

• Haha 1

Just now, CooterBrown said:

A bunch of 50-somethings living with roommates and working dead end jobs sounds pretty depressing.

I see your point. I think there's a way to do a scripted show though. Maybe a version of The Big Chill where the gang gets back together for a weekend after Paul Rudd's funeral. 

46 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

44 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

We're gonna find out that Anna Farri's character came back for the babies, and it's going to take a dark turn.

39 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I see your point. I think there's a way to do a scripted show though. Maybe a version of The Big Chill where the gang gets back together for a weekend after Paul Rudd's funeral. 

This would be how you do it.  Talk about winning Golden Globes and Emmys.

But The Big Chill was really good and had an amazing dramatically-inclined cast, whose characters all had a shitload of baggage.

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We're gonna find out that Anna Farri's character came back for the babies, and it's going to take a dark turn.

I would watch it if this happens. It'd be great if one of these shows subverted expectations on their audience.  I always wanted Seinfeld to end with Newman finally snapping, going postal, and murdering Jerry.  It would've been one of the greatest, most shocking series finale in history.

• Hook 'Em 1

I just finished 30 Coins ("30 Monedas" in its native Spanish) and really dug it. 

It's about a bunch of chaos that surrounds finding Judas's 30th piece of silver. Small town taken over by madness, Grizzled Priest who has Seen Some Shit shows up to regulate, and the problem is bigger than anticipated. It's kind of a mashup between a devil-themed horror movie (Exorcist, etc.), a campy/funny/outrageous horror movie (Dead Alive, Re-Animator, Evil Dead) and a telenovela. 

Only one season, 8 episodes, each about an hour long, and subtitled in Spanish. Shows tites, but unfortunately, not to a gratuitous extent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Holy shit Matthew Perry. Does he have dentures?

He has been through the ringer...poor guy.  Fought off addictions since like season 6.  He has said he doesn't remember 3 seasons of the show when he was asked his fave ep.  Had a critical stomach surgery last year...had a hole in it. He looked horrible in some of these interviews.  Hoping the reunion is worth the hype...saw that there will be lots of celebs and musicians ...maybe just to ask questions.

As far as HBOMax, enjoying it as a free add-on through my ATT cell phone deal.  Seen pretty much all the major series.  Started Hacks few days ago.  Waiting for Insecure to come back.  And hopefully curb...

My initial thoughts from the Friends finale: 

- I liked the character drop ins. Mr Hinkle, Richard (Tom Selleck). 

- The trivia game show was fun. 

- Too much documentary segments. Hulu could have done this part of the show on a shoestring budget. 

- Matthew Perry is hard to watch. He talks like he’s in his 80s.

- Anniston wins the graceful aging award. Schwimmer in a close second. 

I stand by The Big Chill Reunion Special suggestion. The cast probably doesn’t have the range, and it would cut against the silly tone of the show. That said, Emmy masterpiece or shit show would have been more fun to watch. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Joey is a fat fuck. 

Only just started it. Leblanc appears to have eaten one of Joey’s sisters. That said, he’s still funny and someone I could see grabbing a beer with. He’s the only one of that cast that just comes across like a normal person.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Wish we could get a Misfits of Science cast reunion, but, well...two out of the four main cast members were dead by '91 (actually pretty sad).

Young Courtney made a young me feel funny. And just realized that Dean Jr. looked a lot more like his dad than I remember.

MV5BOTg5NmJjNjQtYmQwMC00YTZiLTkwZmQtZDli

Edited by atomheartbevo

I enjoyed the reunion a helluva lot more than I expected to. I despise clip shows more than just about anything in entertainment, but they avoided that by focusing on a few key scenes and integrating the table reads, which was a nice touch. 

LeBlanc was indeed fat, but as noted, looked like the same dude, just chubbier, like many of us (I didn’t watch his CBS show...was he already packing on the pounds?). Kudrow looked pretty good, maybe a little nip and tuck here and there, but nothing to alter her looks, same for Schwimmer (his was most obvious at the beginning, when he entered the soundstage). Aniston has remained squarely in the public eye, and I suspect we’ve all adapted to any changes she’s had done over the years. There were moments when she looked fine, others where she looked like she was wearing a mask. I’m guessing makeup and lighting are key for her.

Courteney, well, she’s been going down this road for some time. She was already significantly altered during Cougartown, and is now in her Priscilla Presley phase. It’s sad to see such a cute girl/beautiful woman morph into this. I wish more in that world would accept it's ok to have a little age on you. It’s a mental health issue for the patient and malpractice on the part of the doctor.

Matthew is just a sad case, a long history of abuse, with other health problems stacked on top. That’s a hard 51. Someone upthread mentioned his dentures: they can only do so much. He’s probably also lost much of the bone the dentures are expected to rest on, leading to the gaunt lower jaw and labored speech. He still had a spark of wit, it was just difficult for him to deliver it. 

I’m assuming they all made a lot of money to participate (I just looked it up, reportedly $2.5M each), and all six were listed as Producers. Like they did back in the day with their contracts, “One for all, all for one.”  

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Aniston has remained squarely in the public eye, and I suspect we’ve all adapted to any changes she’s had done over the years. There were moments when she looked fine, others where she looked like she was wearing a mask. I’m guessing makeup and lighting are key for her.

It had been a very long time since I saw her, circa 1994. The back and forth was kind of shocking, in that she now has a different face.