Fort Bend County Sherriff's Deputy Kills Deputy Constable

WBT

Call comes in about a suspicious person running down the street (guess I shouldn't be jogging at night?).  For some reason they broke into a vacant house and one accidentally shot the other.  

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/05/29/fort-bend-county-sheriffs-office-deputy-accidentally-shoots-another-deputy-in-missouri-city-fbcso/

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Call comes in about a suspicious person running down the street (guess I shouldn't be jogging at night?).  For some reason they broke into a vacant house and one accidentally shot the other.  

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/05/29/fort-bend-county-sheriffs-office-deputy-accidentally-shoots-another-deputy-in-missouri-city-fbcso/

Karen strikes again 

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Maybe its just semantics, but the word accidental seems to be used incorrectly in this case. Didn't the one deputy purposefully pull the trigger? Shooting his fellow law enforcement officer is a mistake not an accident.

Not sure its entirely semantic.  Accident is a pretty broad term that encompasses any unintended consequence.  Generally, it has no significance in the law.  There is something in the law called an "unavoidable accident," and that means an unintended consequence where fault cannot be assigned because of a very unusual set of circumstances.

There is a recurring question in the law as to whether "intentional" means intended to engage in the act or intended the act to result in the outcome.  Most of the time, it's the former.

So, it's not an accidental discharge.  He intentionally pulled the trigger.  He did not intend to shoot an "innocent" person.  He was reckless or negligent in ascertaining his target before intentionally pulling the trigger.  It's fair to call it an accident overall, but that has no legal significance.

Fun with mental states!

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Strange ending to the story linked above

The live news report said that 2 Texas Rangers were on scene leading the investigation and taking statements.  It seems like that message got garbled in the write-up for the website.

Some details from the officers via the link, that make this seem like just a really crappy situation due to lack communication between responding departments.

Officials said they received a call for a vacant property check-in at Sienna Plantation after a neighbor called and said she saw someone running down the street, though it was suspicious. Officials said three deputies responded, as well as a deputy with Pct 4.

the deputy with Fort Bend Sheriff’s Office and a deputy with the Fort Bend Precinct 4 Constable’s Office were clearing a house together when the FBCSO deputy accidentally shot the deputy from the constable’s office.

So let me get this straight. Possible suspects in a vacant house are shot on sight? 8 out of 10 times its gonna be some local kids just getting into mischief. If you are that scared and jumpy, maybe law enforcement isn't for you.

CHIEF

• Like 8

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

Some details from the officers via the link, that make this seem like just a really crappy situation due to lack communication between responding departments.

Accident my ass. That was a warning for the constables to leave the FBCSO territory alone. Just a good ole fashioned gangland turf battle.

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

So let me get this straight. Possible suspects in a vacant house are shot on sight? 8 out of 10 times its gonna be some local kids just getting into mischief. If you are that scared and jumpy, maybe law enforcement isn't for you.

CHIEF

Yes, shooting someone without ID'ing them is concerning, but sadly to be expected when they are training that everyone is potentially an enemy and the situation is like clearing homes in a war zone as opposed to a residential neighborhood.  

• Like 2

For those that actually care, he was a good man with a kind heart. He never met a stranger and was exactly the kind of guy you'd want to show up in uniform if you were in need. Lots of people on this site have problems with the current state of policing, but officers like him are part of the solution, not the problem. He will be dearly missed, and I'm hurting incredibly for his family right now.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, it's not an accidental discharge.  He intentionally pulled the trigger.  He did not intend to shoot an "innocent" person.  He was reckless or negligent in ascertaining his target before intentionally pulling the trigger.  It's fair to call it an accident overall, but that has no legal significance.

You sure it was a “he”? My money is on the other side. 

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

Yes, shooting someone without ID'ing them is concerning, but sadly to be expected when they are training that everyone is potentially an enemy and the situation is like clearing homes in a war zone as opposed to a residential neighborhood.  

When even nice suburban Ft. Bend county is "FALLUJAH!  IT'S A WAR ON COPS OUT THERE!," yes, this crap is inevitable.  Show up treating every single moment of the day as a potential gunfight.....well, you'll end up in a gunfight right soon.

3 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Do you even war on cops, bro?

6 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

4 fucking cops responding to a karen's call about 'someone' running down the street ???

wtf ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Good point that something must have happened in his last job but that doesn’t mean the shooting had anything to do with it.

Just an unusual career move and it was within the county. Like I said, there's more to that story.