Minneapolis is Burning-+* The moderators and admins of this site are TERRIBLE and STUPID and IGNORANT.

10 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Yep

I don't have a problem with a tweet from the Governor or Pres as that's news. What sucks is the poltards then take that as a queue as that's ok so let me tell you my opinions of the messenger.

The only way to avoid that would probably be only allowing links to articles and Tweets. It's a site full of articulate, well informed and opinionated people who will blithely tell you who they think is a total knob without meaning any harm whatsoever. Politicizing threads blows but so does treating everything within the slight vicinity of legislative policy as kryptonite.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, blacklab said:

I've had this conversation before with friends, many from out of state trying to explain shaggy/surly.

The thing that I think makes this place work is there is a certain mentality about Texans, and people that attended UT that I fall squarely in the middle of and because of that there are many that hold similar opinions that fit right in here.

Gen X
grew up in a suburb of large city
long time horn fan
could not wait to move to Austin and go to UT
always thought aggys were goobers going back to elementary school
likes to gamble
leans libertarian politically but not overly political
likes Dogs

I'd guess more than 1 thing on this list applies to a lot of people on this site.

Every one of those applies to me and I would add beer and fishing to your list.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

I don't understand how an Alabama housewife found her way to this board. I'm going to blame Thujone until otherwise informed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I’m sure her husband is happy with the distraction that this site provides her...

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Chooky said:

I get separated forums for political discussion because it's usually a shitshow. But a global and nationwide pandemic and legislative policy goes hand in hand with the discussion. The mere mention of basic policy implementation can make some posters hyperventilate.Politicizing the thread with Trump angst is equally as obnoxious as watching some posters writhe in pain like the white hot finger of Satan touched their forehead just because someone mentioned the lieutenant governor. 

That’s the problem.  One mere mention by one poster leads to a rebuttal by another then rational discussion gets thrown out the window (see vertically any thread in CR). CR is already like that and is the perfect place if that’s your thing.  At the same time it’s nice to have a place to discuss news and get information.   This is one of the few sites that have that separation without over moderation.  I applaud the mods efforts in keeping with that.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EuroHorn said:

I’m sure her husband is happy with the distraction that this site provides her...

You're just emoting now.  She clearly made you feel silly in the Cloak Room at some point and now you're here slinging personal bullshit with a weird and flaccid attempt at retribution.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

we also have sooners, isu cyclones, baylor bears, red raiders, horned frogs, and all manner of posters from other fanbases. it's one of the strengths of the board, actually. we've always been an inclusive site, as long as you aren't an outright troll. bama chick is not even close to a troll. i understand some of the sentiment around hugo, but he's legit. you don't have to like him, but he mostly stays out of the trolling lane, and when he doesn't, he takes his medicine without much complaint. 

unlike a lot of the pussies around here.

44 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I stay out of the CR 99% of the time because it is just people on each side either yelling at each other or jerking each other off.  There is no discussion.  That is unpossible.   

and it shows, because there is a lot of discussion.  mostly because the former conservative CR circle jerkers self segregated to DT and this board to circle jerk, while the left wing circle jerkers stayed in CR. 

2 minutes ago, SDG said:

This is one of the few sites that have that separation without over moderation.  I applaud the mods efforts in keeping with that.   

It's a strange and difficult line to tread and the moderators here seem to do a good job of balancing it.  I can't imagine having to endure half of the whiny motherfuckers on any message board.  

2 minutes ago, Chooky said:

You're just emoting now.  She clearly made you feel silly in the Cloak Room at some point and now you're here slinging personal bullshit with a weird and flaccid attempt at retribution.  

Give me a break. She is part of the gang that negs right wingers on the CR. It's pathetic but that's probably the only community she has in her life.Chick doesn't make anyone feel silly by her posts. She has nothing but vitriol and nastiness to spew and doesn't have the brainpower or wit necessary to make anyone look silly.

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 4

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Give me a break. She is part of the gang that negs right wingers on the CR. It's pathetic but that's probably the only community she has in her life.Chick doesn't make anyone feel silly by her posts. She has nothing but vitriol and nastiness to spew and doesn't have the brainpower or wit necessary to make anyone look silly.

Not only have I been negged by you in the Cloak Room, I've personally watched her bend you over for a vigorous rogering in that forum repeatedly.  And speaking of vitriol, you're one of the most notoriously reactionary and hateful twats on this entire site.  And your angst isn't just contained in the CR.  You lash out at and go full bitch tits on everyone who slightly disagrees with you in any forum.  

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Just like to say I don’t resort to personal attacks against other posters and I’ve never given neg rep.  I can’t help it if some fucking snowflakes can’t handle my posts.

you are everything wrong with the Internet, that's all

don't take it personally

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

... I do want your feedback. ...

You want the truth?

spacer.png

Spoiler

j/k - The job of moderating is a thankless headache.  It's not easy being reasonable with unreasonable people.  You guys are walking the line as well as can be expected given the circumstances.

• Like 1

The solution is simple.  Any poster with more than x posts in the past month in CR can't post in DT.  In any thread. Period.  Mods can pick x.  I would pick 0.  

This will cause some collateral damage, as there are some reasonable posters who post in both forums.  But they are few and far between and the social benefits would far outweigh the costs.  The partisans in CR just can't help themselves - everything will eventually turn political at some point, rendering most DT threads a shitshow.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Just now, blacklab said:

Do you have to deal with this on your sites?

I assume that was directed at me?

Yes and no.  Any forum of decent size is going to have a bit of strife as some people just won't place nice with one another, but the issues I have to deal with generally don't erupt over political issues.

I personally see the issue playing out here right now as the same issue several members tried to address on the old site when we were discussing ideas (and eventually tried to create a [serious] framework) to try and swing the discourse pendulum back towards reason. The Wild West is wild, yo.

You have a user group set that allows some members to ban themselves from the CR.  Why not create one that prevents folks from posting in the DT and put folks there if they can't play nice?  Seems a bit much to punish the folks who don't pee on the rug.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Just like to say I don’t resort to personal attacks against other posters and I’ve never given neg rep.  I can’t help it if some fucking snowflakes can’t handle my posts.

and yet there you go. 

the boards were better before you brought your agenda here. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, blacklab said:

I like where that's headed.

What about a ratio of  (posts in CR/posts out of CR) 

if the ratio is above X can't post in DT?

I was thinking about this exact thing to prevent the CR from infecting the rest of the board.

Something along the lines of if a majority of your posts are in CR, you must have a total positive rep score outside of CR. 
like +rep# : (total posts# - CR post#) 1:1 or 1:2, something scalable, or even the user can set. 
but that opens up the possibility of rep fraud.

or CR posters will start shit posting if it's just # of posts outside CR.  I plan on thinking and drinking on it tonight.

There's also maybe a distinction and gray area between political statements and statements that declare a political identity. Declaring you are a Republican or Democrat or whatever is pretty benign and doesn't really cause problems. The political nature of sources various posters reference as well as the way things are described and named can become a little murkier and often leads to the "I'm not being political, you are" nonsense that takes over pages.

On a broader scale (since this issue relates mostly to the Minneapolis and COVID threads), is naming the current pandemic the "Wuhan Flu" a political statement, even if the surrounding content is factual and politically neutral? It's no doubt a declaration of political identity, but I'm not sure if it's political. Is citing Daily Kos a political statement, even if the material is factual? Again, it's no doubt a statement of political identity even if it might not be political.

As individual cases, none of these kinds of statements cause too much of an issue, but in aggregate, they contribute to the inability to distinguish politics and news. Your opinion of what is and isn't political will likely be defined in part by your political identity. I don't think there's a good answer for this other than hiring better posters. Maybe if Blacklab gave us all raises we'd attract better posters.

If I were running a message board (which seems miserable to me, so thanks mods), I'd go full Thunderdome: almost no moderation with a robust and easy ignore feature. Being married, I have an ignore feature in my brain, so I don't really use the site's, but it would be useful to be able to ignore users just in certain threads or forums. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chooky said:

It's a strange and difficult line to tread and the moderators here seem to do a good job of balancing it.  I can't imagine having to endure half of the whiny motherfuckers on any message board.  

If I were a mod I can think of easily a dozen posters I’d ban in the first 15 minutes. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I don’t understand why folks can’t just use the ignore feature.  Gotta create a safe space and punish folks instead because I don’t know why.

That would work if ignoring was automatically reciprocal like Twitter for example. If I put you on ignore you shouldn’t be able to see, comment, or rep any of my post.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

I like where that's headed.

What about a ratio of  (posts in CR/posts out of CR) 

if the ratio is above X can't post in DT?

Go back to the site's founding for that ratio. Just so we can have the lolz when the people in here whining like Icono can't post in DT either. There's a quite a few that used to be regulars in CR who now seem to try to dominate DT then complain about the CRing of DT. 

And others can F off with any "you're a guest here" talk. What's next? Ag tags for those who actually hold UT degrees?

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Please don’t play dumb.

You NEVER exude this energy towards the Johnny Sacks of this site when they post their right wing garbage and the fact that the president of the United States has publicly called for the murder of protesters blows any bullshittery about removing politics from this discussion out of the water.

Everything is political in 2020 because our president makes it so and you know it - you just don’t want to be bothered .

Anyway, enjoy this new hot single from Taylor Swift.

LMFAO!!! You just backed up your position by quoting Taylor Swift!!

I should pos rep your fat ass for the glorious burst of laughter you gave me. Please keep em coming..

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, mdmost said:

There's a quite a few that used to be regulars in CR who now seem to try to dominate DT then complain about the CRing of DT. 

Of course there are going to be more  posts there...without the political bullshit.   If you see a political post, report it.  It's that simple.

The only redeeming value of the cat-fighting in all of this is when the cabal clamors to fuck up DT with their nonsense.  "We won't be ignored, gotdammit!"

In all honesty, 90% of the posters in CR don't bother me.   There is a very, very active underlying group of posters who do the ghost negs( neg without posting in the thread) and "yeah for our team" horseshit.  Turn off Rep and that all disappears.

To be clear, IDGAF about my rep score, but the shenanigans in that whole process are still a beating.  After a long ass time, I finally decided, "I'm out.  there is no desire to have a real conversation."  There are too many posters who don't participate in the conversation but rain rep down in a thread.   It's idiocy.

Never had a problem with the mods on this board or Shag days.  I've earned some timeouts and take no issue there.

• Like 1

Oh, I've long maintained that all of you whining about rep are massive vaginas. You get into neg rep fights with each other and then get mad when you come against other users who hold grudges and follow you around. Maybe stop using neg rep to do your fighting for you. And yeah, I'm fine with removing rep altogether since it would remove all the endless whining over it. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Go back to the site's founding for that ratio. Just so we can have the lolz when the people in here whining like Icono can't post in DT either. There's a quite a few that used to be regulars in CR who now seem to try to dominate DT then complain about the CRing of DT. 

And others can F off with any "you're a guest here" talk. What's next? Ag tags for those who actually hold UT degrees?

Most of my posts would be in game threads which is the whole point of this fucking board. Before my self-ban there were long stretches where I wouldn’t post in the CR cesspool. I’m very happy for making that move. Y’all have a near perfect echo chamber absent any right wingers like myself and I’m happier and don’t have to worry about getting crowdsourced. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

4 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I stay out of the CR 99% of the time because it is just people on each side either yelling at each other or jerking each other off.  There is no discussion.  That is unpossible.   

I do like to read the latest that is going regarding issues and news.  Many of you find shit that is telling and informative.  Keep the fucking politics in the CR.  

This is it right here, folks. All of the same topics, Covid19, Minnesota riots, ect are also in the Cloak Room, as well as the right to start a new topic at any time. The reason people like Bamachick leave the CR is to spew their political hatred where it isn't wanted. And for some reason they think they have that right. Fuck them.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Oh, I've long maintained that all of you whining about rep are massive vaginas. You get into neg rep fights with each other and then get mad when you come against other users who hold grudges and follow you around. Maybe stop using neg rep to do your fighting for you. And yeah, I'm fine with removing rep altogether since it would remove all the endless whining over it. 

You fucking don’t get it. There are cunts like @GW Hayduke, @Calihorn and @Felix who will neg every post of mine or @EMAWesome, @Iceman, @immortal13, @ChickenSandwich@Johnny Sack that they can find. My rep was in single digit negative territory. If you get to -100 you’re auto-banned.  I didn’t want to be crowdsourced by those cunts. That’s why it’s a fucking issue. 

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

6 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

so i may have a suggestion. if we truly want non-political, news-only threads, then have a news aggregation only thread. you can post links and new information as it comes to light without expressing an opinion. it fundamentally goes against how message boards work, but it seems that is what certain people want. but then, when hugo posts an informational tweet about the number of new covid deaths in the covid thread, people tell him to go back to the CR because they inherently believe that he has an agenda behind his posting of facts, so i do not know the answer. but i think a news aggregation only thread, where people just post articles and new information without opinions could be some kind of answer to this.

any thoughts?

Gratis for moderating, sincerely.  Like those guys who drive septic trucks: it has to be done, I'm just grateful I don't have to do it. 

I like the aggregator thread idea. It's an earnest attempt to solve the problem - if the problem really is that some users just want news devoid of politics. For the most part I don't believe that is the main issue. We as Americans have become addicted to the rush of conflict, anger, and resentment toward one another. It's much less satisfying in the moment to take a breath and not engage than to spit righteous fire. The problem is cultural. We are a sick nation. This is just another manifestation. 

• Like 2