Minneapolis is Burning-+* The moderators and admins of this site are TERRIBLE and STUPID and IGNORANT.

18 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

We live in that world. I want to go to DT to get news and not be subjected to politics that I’m inundated with everywhere else. Go to CR. It is really simple. 

So you want the news? Watch whatever news channel or read whatever newspaper gets you off. You want to discuss the news on a message board with people from all over the world without anyone’s opinion on said news? Go source it your damn self.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

So you want the news? Watch whatever news channel or read whatever newspaper gets you off. You want to discuss the news on a message board with people from all over the world without anyone’s opinion on said news? Go source it your damn self.

Opinion, sure. Political agenda? No

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Opinion, sure. Political agenda? No

Which the group has the agenda? One group is totally fine putting individuals on ignore or just simplying negging them, the other can’t simply stand to see a point of view that doesn't align with their own and starts crying about the Cloak Room. 

Edited by USMCHorn
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

You fucking don’t get it. There are cunts like @GW Hayduke, @Calihorn and @Felix who will neg every post of mine or @EMAWesome, @Iceman, @immortal13, @ChickenSandwich@Johnny Sack that they can find. My rep was in single digit negative territory. If you get to -100 you’re auto-banned.  I didn’t want to be crowdsourced by those cunts. That’s why it’s a fucking issue. 

I don't even remember negging you

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Oh, I've long maintained that all of you whining about rep are massive vaginas. You get into neg rep fights with each other and then get mad when you come against other users who hold grudges and follow you around. Maybe stop using neg rep to do your fighting for you. And yeah, I'm fine with removing rep altogether since it would remove all the endless whining over it. 

Bud, that’s not the millennial way.

we should keep rep and just remove the ability to neg. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

Which the group has the agenda? One group is totally fine putting individuals on ignore or just simplying negging them, the other can’t simply stand to see a point of view that doesn't align with their own and starts crying about the Cloak Room. 

Doesn't matter. Neither group should do it. One group just seems to have a much higher propensity to violate the rules

3 hours ago, blacklab said:

I like where that's headed.

What about a ratio of  (posts in CR/posts out of CR) 

if the ratio is above X can't post in DT?

you might as well just rename the two boards to conservatard CR and libtard CR because that's all they'd be.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, blacklab said:

Gen X -- YES
grew up in a suburb of large city -- No, in the middle of Houston but hung out with / was acculturated with suburban kids from my HS
long time horn fan -- Fourth generation; g-gfather was class of '92. 1892
could not wait to move to Austin and go to UT -- YES
always thought aggys were goobers going back to elementary school -- YES, but we need them. They are interesting objects of study at a distance.
likes to gamble -- YES, but it's not a passion. It's something I avoid out of enlightened self-interest
leans libertarian politically but not overly political -- Libertarian leaning far leftist but not obsessed as some with politics
likes Dogs -- Bannination for all those who don't

You forgot substance abuse

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I don’t understand why folks can’t just use the ignore feature.  Gotta create a safe space and punish folks instead because I don’t know why.

No shit. My Ignore list is well populated and ever expanding. No doubt I make mistakes in evaluation and I do give fresh looks in case posters change. It makes selective engagement much easier - again, if that's what they really want. I think conflict and resentment have become the point. You can change the rules and introduce well intended ratios, but the intolerance and division will find a way in because enough of us think we need it. 

1 hour ago, USMCHorn said:

You have political agenda so fuck off to Cr. 

This was response to me asking for Cr being kept to Cr   B28618F9-6E0A-4D94-8313-08471DD3E65D.png

Edited by SDG
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, USMCHorn said:

Prime example of a person that's triggered by someone who disagrees with him.

Disagree all you want but not saying why reflects on you and should be called out.  

6 hours ago, blacklab said:

I like where that's headed.

What about a ratio of  (posts in CR/posts out of CR) 

if the ratio is above X can't post in DT?

As many have said over time, why not just get rid of the ability to rep in CR? Positive or negative. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

As many have said over time, why not just get rid of the ability to rep in CR? Positive or negative. 

The problem could be the fact that those “” chase you around the site.  

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

And others can F off with any "you're a guest here" talk. What's next? Ag tags for those who actually hold UT degrees?

The "guest here" part is you don't make posts calling the moderators names because of some dumbass issue that only you and a handful of others give a shit about.

I don't expect people to be polite to one another, but since we are all in fact guests of blacklab and imma, we should probably show them a bit of deference until and unless they start actively screwing people over, and even then, they can do what they want.  "You are more than welcome to start your own message board."

• Like 5

10 hours ago, TriStone said:

If I didn't like the way a website was being moderated, especially if it was a website dedicated to a college I don't support, I'd probably fuck off to another website.  I'd like to add that I think the mods are doing a wonderful job when you consider the endless bullshit they have to endure without compensation.

Or just put people on ignore.  Those whining the most about other posters would have a lot less to whine about if they'd use the ignore function.  Or just report the posts and move on (and ignore).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, blacklab said:

The thing that I think makes this place work is there is a certain mentality about Texans, and people that attended UT that I fall squarely in the middle of and because of that there are many that hold similar opinions that fit right in here.

Gen X
grew up in a suburb of large city
long time horn fan
could not wait to move to Austin and go to UT
always thought aggys were goobers going back to elementary school
likes to gamble
leans libertarian politically but not overly political
likes Dogs

I'd guess more than 1 thing on this list applies to a lot of people on this site.

Yep.  Surly strikes a fine balance between the sunshine-pumping Longhorn fan sites, the snooty Austin sites (and the associated Reddits), various Facebook groups, etc.

At one point on TOS, there were enough of us libertarian-types, that I think we could have made a dent somewhere in Austin politics.  Being lazy and disagreeable meant it never went anywhere, meanwhile Fitlump is on her second run at a City Council spot.

I'd throw in that a whole lot of us are in our mid-to-late 30s and up.   I bet the 40-somethings make up a very healthy chunk of the Surly population.  I ran into somebody that I went to high school with, and who remembered a BBS I used to run across state, and then we both ended up on TOS.  Small world and stuff.

9 hours ago, DaysOff said:

I don't understand how an Alabama housewife found her way to this board. I'm going to blame Thujone until otherwise informed.

I actually think it's cool that so many non-UT posters are here.  It's not hard to understand when you look at their main sports-based forums.  Just like it's fun to fuck around in the cfb subreddit with other fans.

And I'm here indirectly because of Thujone - I used to be a mod on another site (general comedy site), and one of the other mods on that site was a poster on a previous version of this site (groverat for those with long memories, I think he was banned early on at TOS or a previous version) , and he used to post links to Thujone's artwork in the mod forums, and would bug me since he knewI went, and that my wife was currently working on her masters at the time, and because I'd post in the UT threads in the sports forum.

Thujone and his artwork have pulled in many to previous versions of this site.  Probably got 15-20 of us from the site we were mods on easily, because Thujone's artwork was perfect.

Edited by atomheartbevo

8 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Because there are twats like Upper Westside who  go looking for posts to neg rep in non-Cloak Room threads simply because they don't like the posts that poster makes in the Cloak Room.  He's apparently ran out of Cloak Room posts of mine to neg rep so now he is going back through the NFL playoff threads and neg repping all my posts in those threads.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

19 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Please don’t play dumb.

You NEVER exude this energy towards the Johnny Sacks of this site when they post their right wing garbage and the fact that the president of the United States has publicly called for the murder of protesters blows any bullshittery about removing politics from this discussion out of the water.

Everything is political in 2020 because our president makes it so and you know it - you just don’t want to be bothered .

Anyway, enjoy this new hot single from Taylor Swift.

Trump did not call for murders of protesters. His exact Tweet was "when people start looting people start shooting."  Looting is not protesting.  Looting is looting and people have the right to protect their property and possibly their lives from being threatened.  No one involved with running or working in those stores that were looted had anything to do with George Floyd getting killed.  Causing innocent people to lose their jobs and their property is not an effective method to convince them to join your cause.  In fact it is more likely to drive them away from your cause.

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

18 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I don't think it is, actually, when (or if) the posters from those fanbases are primarily here as yet another outlet for political bullshit. It's bad enough anyone would seek out a sports message board for political validation, it's even worse when you strip away the common denominator of "at least we're all Texas fans". 

You have a female Alabama fan with her feelings hurt here. What part of that computes?

Maybe if we actually had some sports to talk about things would change a bit.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

18 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

You know one thing I don't really see you do, that other site owners do-- you don't really throw your weight around. That last sentence is as close as I can recall seeing you say "this is what I like, this is what I want". There are plenty of other sites which either start to take on the personality and interests of the owner, or get run by the inmates. This one seems like it's still floating along on the current, which would explain why it is reflecting the turbulence of the moment.

I doubt Blacklab sees moderating this place worth having another heart attack over.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I actually think it's cool that so many non-UT posters are here.  It's not hard to understand when you look at their main sports-based forums.  Just like it's fun to fuck around in the cfb subreddit with other fans.

And I'm here indirectly because of Thujone - I used to be a mod on another site (general comedy site), and one of the other mods on that site was a poster on a previous version of this site (groverat for those with long memories, I think he was banned early on at TOS or a previous version) , and he used to post links to Thujone's artwork in the mod forums, and would bug me since he knewI went, and that my wife was currently working on her masters at the time, and because I'd post in the UT threads in the sports forum.

Thujone and his artwork have pulled in many to previous versions of this site.  Probably got 15-20 of us from the site we were mods on easily, because Thujone's artwork was perfect.

Yeah, I can't remember the exact work or details but I found my way here via a six degrees of Thujone.   Also, other than the EMAW site where my password is in some kind of internet limbo and I have yet to figure out any way to communicate with anyone on that site without it all the other K-State forums I have come across are like reading paint drying.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, EMAWesome said:

Because there are twats like Upper Westside who  go looking for posts to neg rep in non-Cloak Room threads simply because they don't like the posts that poster makes in the Cloak Room.  He's apparently ran out of Cloak Room posts of mine to neg rep so now he is going back through the NFL playoff threads and neg repping all my posts in those threads.

On the old board, you could not neg rep someone like that I don't think. When you negged someone, you'd have to wait x amount of time before you could do it again. I could be wrong but this is what I remembered. It kind of deterred that behavior from happening. I think the mods actually had a rule about this and negging someone over and over.

And a neg rep spree on completely unrelated posts because your feelings are hurt should get you a ban of some time. It's not something that can't be tracked pretty easily if reported. I mean if someone is going back to NFL threads, which was months ago to neg rep, that shows they are a pussy.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, blacklab said:

Gen X
grew up in a suburb of large city
long time horn fan
could not wait to move to Austin and go to UT
always thought aggys were goobers going back to elementary school
likes to gamble
leans libertarian politically but not overly political
likes Dogs

I'd guess more than 1 thing on this list applies to a lot of people on this site.

This is pretty spot on for the most part

The moderation of this board is great. It maintains an uncommonly good balance between both extremes of the message board spectrum, from the scary unfiltered chaos of 4chan to the hive lockdown of Texags. It is a board full of assholes, yes, but respectful assholes. Formed and bound by our affinity for UT, the Longhorns and Texas in general. And like most Texans, we are a jovial and friendly bunch, and enjoy some shenanigans. We welcome the inclusion of outsiders with different perspectives.  But the usual agitators from all sides of the political spectrum remain. Everyone knows these posters. They cannot help themselves from spewing their political view.       I think we all need to do a better job using the ignore feature for many of them 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Like 2

I think it would help if ignore included quoted posts. It might already do that, but I don’t think it does. Thread-specific ignore would also be an effective feature. Or people could just not take the bait.

Edited by Mole
  • Like 1

These are some seriously fucked up times. Everyone is frustrated. 

Thank you mods and admins for all you do and put up with. Shag/Surl has been my favorite corner of the intertrons for well over 10 years. 

Another thanks to all you brilliant weirdos  contributing content. 

Love ya’ll... fuck ya’ll. Hook’em 

• Like 9

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Or just put people on ignore.  Those whining the most about other posters would have a lot less to whine about if they'd use the ignore function.  Or just report the posts and move on (and ignore).

Agree on all counts.  I wouldn't have replied but the unmitigated gall of the OP stuck in my craw.  To come here as a guest and call your hosts terrible and stupid and ignorant, in ALL CAPS no less?  Fuck you.  Find another board to post on.

18 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The "guest here" part is you don't make posts calling the moderators names because of some dumbass issue that only you and a handful of others give a shit about.

I don't expect people to be polite to one another, but since we are all in fact guests of blacklab and imma, we should probably show them a bit of deference until and unless they start actively screwing people over, and even then, they can do what they want.  "You are more than welcome to start your own message board."

attacking the mods is a bold strategy, cotton.

Rather than separate political and non-political, perhaps separate by rage level. Grammarly will tell the tone of my emails pretty accurately. If the rage level of a post gets too high, just have it automatically moved to a Derka Rick Barnes thread. I think that would lead to either self-moderation or help entertain in this endless off-season.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2020 at 7:10 PM, Iconoclast Texan said:

You fucking don’t get it. There are cunts like @GW Hayduke, @Calihorn and @Felix who will neg every post of mine or @EMAWesome, @Iceman, @immortal13, @ChickenSandwich@Johnny Sack that they can find. My rep was in single digit negative territory. If you get to -100 you’re auto-banned.  I didn’t want to be crowdsourced by those cunts. That’s why it’s a fucking issue. 

You didn't get neg bombed in CR because you have opinions that aren't shared by others, you got negged because you are an devastatingly stupid, insane, insufferable, complete and utter fucking incel whackjob. It doesn't just happen in the CR, you've gotten neg bombed on the fucking basketball board of all places because you literally just cannot help but stick your fist up your own ass and try to make us all smell it every chance you get.

At any rate, I think the mods here do an overall great job with what they have to work with even though immamac is a goddamn simpleton that can't even keep a simple web server running properly (joking dude, don't hit me). I personally think that trying to filter politics out of a discussion about COVID or this Minneapolis situation is an insane fool's errand but you do you. I don't agree with Bama Chick's assertion that they are ignorant for trying, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Personally I'd hate to see that ratio thing come into play because while I used to post a lot in the CR, I really don't even look at it anymore but I feel like maybe my ratio of posts in there is still higher than elsewhere.

FYI - I don’t appreciate a post I made in a CR thread moved here and made to look like I started this thread on this board.

I said my peace in the appropriate place and it’s pretty shitty of [mention]blacklab [/mention]to make it appear that I started this thread.

• Fuck You 1

This is it right here, folks. All of the same topics, Covid19, Minnesota riots, ect are also in the Cloak Room, as well as the right to start a new topic at any time. The reason people like Bamachick leave the CR is to spew their political hatred where it isn't wanted. And for some reason they think they have that right. Fuck them.

Quote me one post I’ve made in DT where I’ve “spewed political hatred”.

I’ll be right here waiting.
  • Fuck You 1