Minneapolis is Burning-+* The moderators and admins of this site are TERRIBLE and STUPID and IGNORANT.

Seems like the easiest way to not be put on blast for temper tantrums directed at this board's moderators would be to not have temper tantrums directed at this board's moderators.

But maybe I am missing something.

FWIW, @blacklab and his crew do a good job and wield a light touch. There are few rules and one would have to work pretty hard or do something super egregious to get banned. And even if that weren't the case, it's a free forum, it's their forum, and if I don't like it, I can GTFO.

Only complaint would be @immamac ... cuz everybody knows PCs are better.

john-hodgman-out-of-the-box.jpg?w=640

• Like 2

whats funny is I hate Mac OSX and generally any apple software. Their hardware as of late has been pretty damned good though. I just looked like Justin Long when I worked at geek squad many moons ago and it kinda stuck with me then when jobs died and I changed my avatar it just stuck even more.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, blacklab said:

This is 100% wrong, I am an equal opportunity banner.

Eh, not really and I don’t blame you because posts might not appear “political” to you but they appear very political to others.  Like someone talking about taxes, the national debt, guns, healthcare, education, or racism might not appear political to you b/c you either implicitly agree or there isn’t a refutation.  

Many times the reason there is no refutation is b/c disagreement would most certainly appear political and get a poster banned.  It’s impossible to police politics in a current events sub forum because almost everything has a political spin to it. 

I think some people like you who are very into politics tend to see things more political than I do.

I also know there are keywords that are used often in CR that I am unfamiliar with that you are familiar with that makes you think things are political when I do not.

If I do have bias, I think I fall more onto a "Is this person a good poster on the rest of the board" favoritism than along party lines. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, blacklab said:

I think some people like you who are very into politics tend to see things more political than I do.

I also know there are keywords that are used often in CR that I am unfamiliar with that you are familiar with that makes you think things are political when I do not.

If I do have bias, I think I fall more onto a "Is this person a good poster on the rest of the board" favoritism than along party lines. 

Yeah, some people are going to post what they believe to be mostly factual information from certain sources or containing a certain spin that the super-strident CR types are going to see as a dog-whistle or similar.

I can see some of that in the DT thread, but it's not nearly as bad as those who protest it so vehemently seem to think.

For example, there is the recurring issue of "overcounting" deaths attributable to C19.  That is not inherently political, but it is an idea associated with Trump-types.  Whenever that comes up, though, it is discussed mostly in the context of how the counts are made and why its reasonable (or not) to make this or that assumption.

Edited by TwiceHorn

17 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s like the old saying, “It’s propaganda only if you disagree with it.”

I don’t recall black lab posting much about his political stances here or on the old site. I do recall however, after you were permabanned based on users reporting your posts, him taking the time to actually look through those posts in context and (correctly imo) reinstating you. Maybe sit this one out

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s like the old saying, “It’s propaganda only if you disagree with it.”

No one is getting banned for a random lightly political post. They are getting banned for spewing shit all over the board, making direct political posts, or history all of which are justified.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

I also know there are keywords that are used often in CR that I am unfamiliar with

"Joe Biden's absurdly long scrotum" means the same thing in that forum as it does in this forum.  The counter argument to that term is usually "what about Bernie's scrotum?"  Then things typically devolve into comments about Hillary's scrotum and it's a wash.  It's considered gauche to mock the president's scrotum out of respect for the office.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

I don’t recall black lab posting much about his political stances here or on the old site. I do recall however, after you were permabanned based on users reporting your posts, him taking the time to actually look through those posts in context and (correctly imo) reinstating you. Maybe sit this one out

Nah, Hugo should have stayed banned.  He has been running an active measures campaign intended to sow discord on this board since he got here. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Nah, Hugo should have stayed banned.  He has been running an active measures campaign intended to sow discord on this board since he got here. 

That’s pretty much how I used to feel but I think banning him would just give certain crazies a martyr. Plus ban him and they will just replicate the same content in aggregate that he would have posted by himself 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

That’s pretty much how I used to feel but I think banning him would just give certain crazies a martyr. Plus ban him and they will just replicate the same content in aggregate that he would have posted by himself 

If we ban Hugo, then I’ll have to download the Twitter app

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don’t have any complaints. I think the mods-admins do a pretty good job. The only time I got upset was when some other poster (a racist asshole) stole my IP address but I proved out who I was and I was reinstated pretty quickly. At the time though, it sucked.

I honestly thought it was made in DT. Wherever originated, it doesn’t detract from the terrible content. And just plain wrong.  
And moving it here is totally appropriate. It’s the “Help” board to bitch about things like...moderation. No explanation is needed from any moderator on its movement. I bet BamaChick doesn’t like it that she popped off, and now isn’t surrounded by her safe space cabal to protect her from the neg rep she’s getting. Boo fucking hoo. 

I don’t regret it.

And you really don’t know me at all if you think that was popping off.

I think the way the DT threads on coronavirus and Minneapolis have been moderated poorly and with a double standard.

So much so that I stopped participating in the coronavirus thread weeks ago.

I am pissed that my comment was moved here, given a title not written by me, and taken out of context from another discussion. I am pissed that the supposed reason for the crackdown was to stop name calling but nothing has been done about any other name calling or veiled racist comments continuing in the DT Minneapolis thread.

It’s their board and they can make whatever rules they choose. But when those rules are selectively enforced it sends the message that those rules are only rules when convenient.

I don’t visit this board - I had no idea my post was moved here and made to looks like I was the one that posted it with a shitty title until I started getting some hateful PMs from the usual snowflake DT denizens and some PMs from friends asking why I started a thread like this.

So, no regrets. I’m fine with owning my opinion that the way the mods moderate politics is half-assed and biased and I will continue to express that opinion until it changes.

I’m not fine with that opinion being edited and misrepresented and used as bait for the snowflake sycophants to come to the mods defense.
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

15 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I don’t regret it.

I think the way the DT threads on coronavirus and Minneapolis have been moderated poorly and with a double standard.

I am pissed that my comment was moved here, given a title not written by me, and taken out of context from another discussion. I am pissed that the supposed reason for the crackdown was to stop name calling but nothing has been done about any other name calling or veiled racist comments continuing in the DT Minneapolis thread.

It’s their board and they can make whatever rules they choose. But when those rules are selectively enforced it sends the message that those rules are only rules when convenient.

I don’t visit this board - I had no idea my post was moved here and made to looks like I was the one that posted it with a shitty title until I started getting some hateful PMs from the usual snowflake DT denizens and some PMs from friends asking why I started a thread like this.

So, no regrets. I’m fine with owning my opinion that the way the mods moderate politics is half-assed and biased and I will continue to express that opinion until it changes.

I’m not fine with that opinion being edited and misrepresented and used as bait for the snowflake sycophants to come to the mods defense.

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Iceman said:

I have never understood the Hugo hate.    Seriously.   It's not like he's out there antagonizing people.  It was sometimes fun to discuss his topics...

Well, until CR turned into what it is.

Because they're all fucking titty babies. Typically they are the same people that like to antagonize and be annoyed by Derka. Hugo's their irritainment now. 

• Like 4

On 5/29/2020 at 10:11 AM, USMCHorn said:

You want to live in a world where this shit can be separated from the political. News-fucking-flash, it's not. I wish that I, a black man, could afford to ”not get political” when shit like this happens and our fucking President encourages it. 

Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

There's no way to discuss this without getting into the politics of it. This isn't something where we can divorce the politics of what's happening from the news of what's happening. You might not agree with the politics involved or what they imply. You might not like the politics. But what's happening is politics, is caused by politics, and affects politics.

Black people are being straight up fucking murdered by police, have been for a long time, and it's time for this to stop. If you find that "political" or even controversial, you're living in an imaginary dreamworld.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

I have never understood the Hugo hate.    Seriously.   It's not like he's out there antagonizing people.  It was sometimes fun to discuss his topics...

His posting focus from the jump was to sow disinformation and discord among the posters here. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

His posting focus from the jump was to sow disinformation and discord among the posters here. 

Some would call that planting the seeds of conversation.  Maybe you and I just differ on that opinion.  I'm cool with that too.

As far as 'misinformation' it ain't like we don't have 453 fact checker busy bodies on staff around here.   If it's bullshit, it'll get called out most of the time.

2 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Some would call that planting the seeds of conversation. 

He promoted himself as the foremost posting expert on disinformation and active measures, while simultaneously promoting disinformation and using active measures tactics against this board. He called them "positive active measures". He has been running a propaganda campaign with the end results of creating discord among the posters here. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

No, no. Anastasis doesn't believe in Russian interference. 

That's not true.  I just believe that our primary problems as a society, political and otherwise, originate from within. And as much as people wish to point the finger at external influences, because that is the easy thing to do, until we actually look within and address the issues at our core, we are just running in circles. 

3 hours ago, Rimbo said:

There's no way to discuss this without getting into the politics of it. This isn't something where we can divorce the politics of what's happening from the news of what's happening. You might not agree with the politics involved or what they imply. You might not like the politics. But what's happening is politics, is caused by politics, and affects politics.

It's very  hard to divorce actions and comments from leaders that have a direct impact on things, without somebody getting their feelings hurt.

Hell, somebody mentioned that the floodlights at the White House were shut off - about that time, Trump was apparently taken to the White House bunker.  You can't make that simple mention "The floodlights went out around the time Trump was taken by the Secret Service to the WH bunker" in the DT thread, without some snowflake reporting you, even though it's not a political statement, but a bit of a "holy shit" moment.  I'm not army brat old, but I doubt even LBJ and Nixon were ever taken down to the bunker during the Vietnam protests.

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I thought it was more the fact that his rate of posting was through he roof, heavier than a recruiting or gameday thread, and it was obvious he was sleeping very little for weeks on end.   It made me suspicious as hell - I've got two little kids, and I still get more sleep than he does.

On 5/29/2020 at 11:49 AM, Bama Chick said:

From the DT Minneapolis thread -

The moderators and admins of this site are TERRIBLE and STUPID and IGNORANT.

I laughed at the Taylor Swift post and I generally get along with you, but what’s up with that OP?  Wreaks of entitlement.  

What do you pay to be here?  If you don’t like it, just leave.  The mods are definitely underpaid for the BS they put up with.  I know BL actually has work and life outside of this awesome place.  

You and some others also seem to be painting a picture of him as some right wing nutter.  That’s not him.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's very  hard to divorce actions and comments from leaders that have a direct impact on things, without somebody getting their feelings hurt.

Hell, somebody mentioned that the floodlights at the White House were shut off - about that time, Trump was apparently taken to the White House bunker.  You can't make that simple mention "The floodlights went out around the time Trump was taken by the Secret Service to the WH bunker" in the DT thread, without some snowflake reporting you, even though it's not a political statement, but a bit of a "holy shit" moment.  I'm not army brat old, but I doubt even LBJ and Nixon were ever taken down to the bunker during the Vietnam protests.

This is what drives me nuts and I wish I could correct the most. I want the info about him going into the bunker in the thread, that's news.

The problem isn't people reporting that, they don't as much anymore. The problem is the next post will be some snarky "he should stay upstairs" and then the next thing you know there's a whole page of posts ranging from "respect the office", "he sucks", "he's great", "you're an idiot","no you're an idiot", etc...

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

This is what drives me nuts and I wish I could correct the most. I want the info about him going into the bunker in the thread, that's news.

The problem isn't people reporting that, they don't as much anymore. The problem is the next post will be some snarky "he should stay upstairs" and then the next thing you know there's a whole page of posts ranging from "respect the office", "he sucks", "he's great", "you're an idiot","no you're an idiot", etc...

Almost dead on. For 100% accuracy, they'll get you're wrong.

On 5/31/2020 at 9:24 AM, mdmost said:

Yes, it was pulled out of the thread in CR and the cutesy title was applied by one of the mods. Pretty disingenuous move by whichever mod did it. 

if that's the case it should have been moved to the trash can forum (if this board has one) or just deleted.

edit:

On 5/31/2020 at 1:02 PM, blacklab said:

I should have made a note in the first post that I moved this here, and yes, I probably shouldn't have made such a snarky title, so I apologize for both of those mistakes

best to do it any time you take an action as a moderator as a matter of course. 

Edited by elfenix

16 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I don’t regret it.

Hint hint dumb ass.  Its not going to change.  

• Like 1