Minneapolis is Burning-+* The moderators and admins of this site are TERRIBLE and STUPID and IGNORANT.

36 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Please keep the Trump goes to church thread in DT. If you move it to CR, Icono cannot take part. He is defending his position and if you move it, he no longer will be able. For as much as there's this drumbeat about a CR bubble and group think, a thread that's only about one particular topic should be allowed to remain so everyone can take part in the discussion. 

I have said my piece so I don't care that it has been moved to CR now.. I never made my posts political our invoked my team. I have no problem with blacklab moving it to CR. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

17 hours ago, Captainant said:

So what's the position of the site on use of military force against civilians in policing actions and what should be considered "too political" for open discourse about it?

Update: turns out discussing use of military force against civilians peacefully protesting hurts too many peoples feelings and must be moved to the CR so they can ignore it for being CR.

Enjoy the safe space while authoritarians take away your rights.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

34 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Update: turns out discussing use of military force against civilians peacefully protesting hurts too many peoples feelings and must be moved to the CR so they can ignore it for being CR.

You’re the guy who got his panties in a wad about the name of the coronvirus thread in DT. And you’re the one complaining about a safe space? blacklab moved my post and created a thread in DT and then moved it to CR. I don’t give a shit. Why do you? You’re a virtuoso when it comes to melodrama.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Oh for fucks sake

There are people on this site that would like to discuss current events without hearing about "your team", "my team" or "but obama did it too" or "head cheeto"

Is it that fucking hard to understand? You have your own forum you can circle jerk yourselves to death on.

If you go to a bar and the people next to you are talking about some current event do you turn and yell at them "IT"S TRUMP/OBAMAS FUCKING FAULT YOU FUCKING SHITBAG IDIOTS!"

Because that's what you're doing when you try to inject your political views into a DT thread.

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Yeah. Providing you a forum to discuss shit and then labeling a thread is taking away your rights.

Next I'm gonna take dem jobs from you.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Is it just mainly posters wanting to be able to talk politics in the DT because it is more popular and read by more posters? Is that why? Are there a lot of butthurt posters limping around? 

That's what I'm assuming is going on. Some people have an incredible fucking need to tell you how you should think politically.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

For fucks sake did you see the thread last night when I left for a few hours?

Turned completely political, mainly around this topic.

I am not censoring anyone. If you want to talk about it talk about it in the other thread.

Why not just make a new thread were all anyone can post is newspaper headlines and no discussion? Or fuck maybe just get your fucking news someplace else and come here to actually discuss what is happening, maybe even discuss why is happening and god forbid maybe even ask questions on if it should be happening and how to prevent it from happening again.

• Like 1

"Donald Trump vows to send  american military to states to dominate protesters"

"Protesters in Lafayette square are cleared out by police using tear gas and rubber bullets, president then walks across same area to take a picture in front of a church"

How the fuck would you even discuss this in DT?

This is a very unique site. I enjoy it. To be honest over the last two years, it has become a refuge for me. Can’t wait for the sports to start up. 

But there is literally nothing keeping anyone from starting the same threads that are in the DT and recreating them in the CR and saying precisely what they want to say about Trump/Biden etc...

The CR gets its rep for a reason. Same for why it doesn’t get as much traffic as the DT. 

17 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Oh for fucks sake

There are people on this site that would like to discuss current events without hearing about "your team", "my team" or "but obama did it too" or "head cheeto"

Is it that fucking hard to understand? You have your own forum you can circle jerk yourselves to death on.

If you go to a bar and the people next to you are talking about some current event do you turn and yell at them "IT"S TRUMP/OBAMAS FUCKING FAULT YOU FUCKING SHITBAG IDIOTS!"

Because that's what you're doing when you try to inject your political views into a DT thread.

Jordan Peele Thank You GIF

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

But there is literally nothing keeping anyone from starting the same threads that are in the DT and recreating them in the CR and saying precisely what they want to say about Trump/Biden etc...

Exactly. It's not a "safe space" it's a "I don't want to deal with your bullshit" space.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Oh for fucks sake

12 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Yeah. Providing you a forum to discuss shit and then labeling a thread is taking away your rights.

Next I'm gonna take dem jobs from you.

I'm not talking about you taking away my rights on surly. I'm talking about the military coming in to attack and persecute the lawful and peaceful protest of American citizens like what happened in DC last night. 

According to you, that is too political since the end result was an elected official going to a church. 

Now, any further discussion of that can only happen on the CR, completely removing it from the general """non-political""" discussion. And it's been completely misrepresented because dumbasses are focusing on what happened the day before the police brutality.

The fact that military force is authorized (and now executed) against citizens exercising their constitutional rights lawfully is not political. It's a fact. Face it you fucking cowards

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

Just now, Captainant said:

And it's been completely misrepresented because dumbasses are focusing on what happened the day before the police brutality.

I say this with the utmost kindness and respect. You need a break, kid. Go outside. Drink a beer. Shoot some hoops. Go fishing. 

But whatever it is, get away from the keyboard for a while.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

This is a very unique site. I enjoy it. To be honest over the last two years, it has become a refuge for me. Can’t wait for the sports to start up. 

The CR gets its rep for a reason. Same for why it doesn’t get as much traffic as the DT. 

Icono and Slorch post in DT, your argument is invalid.

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I'm not talking about you taking away my rights on surly. I'm talking about the military coming in to attack and persecute the lawful and peaceful protest of American citizens like what happened in DC last night. 

According to you, that is too political since the end result was an elected official going to a church. 

Now, any further discussion of that can only happen on the CR, completely removing it from the general """non-political""" discussion. And it's been completely misrepresented because dumbasses are focusing on what happened the day before the police brutality.

The fact that military force is authorized (and now executed) against citizens exercising their constitutional rights lawfully is not political. It's a fact. Face it you fucking cowards

Did you see the thread and what it turned into? People can't discuss it without becoming political and name calling. I'd love to discuss it, but everyone immediately has to jump on their team and rah rah them on. Sorry I don't have unlimited time and budget to moderate every thread, some shit just needs to move to CR.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m not butthurt. It just drives me away. I don’t care about anyone’s political view on anything. There’s a steady infiltration of left posters in DT, on any controversial topic, precisely because they get bored without conflict in CR. They know they’ll get pushback in DT, and when they’re called on it, they go ape shit. 

I understand what you are saying. If there wasn’t already a CR and the ability to express themselves there I would understand why they’d infiltrate the DT. But there is a CR. Gifs and other shit is what makes surly what it is. “I’m pissed and I just want to pick a fight and espouse my views because they aren’t getting enough pushback in the CR” is not an excuse to continuously divebomb the DT with political rhetoric. 

it does drive away people. That’s a given. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Like 1

Just now, Nicole44 said:

I understand what you are saying. If there wasn’t already a CR and the ability to express themselves there I would understand why they’d infiltrate the DT. But there is a CR. Gifs and other shit is what makes surly what it is. “I’m pissed and I just want to pick a fight and espouse my views because they aren’t getting enough pushback in the CR” is not an excuse to continuously divebomb the DT with political rhetoric. 

I'm posting a fucking timeline of what happened and y'all are decrying it as political rhetoric. Y'all are some fragile fucking snowflakes. 

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I'm posting a fucking timeline of what happened and y'all are decrying it as political rhetoric. Y'all are some fragile fucking snowflakes. 

We're not constitutional scholars debating the constitution ramifications of the political decisions made here. We're a bunch of football fans talking about a POLITICAL decision.

• Like 1

Again stop conflating Donald Trump with politics, Donald Trump is not political as he has no political philosophy beyond self aggrandizement. Mitch McConnell, Ted Cruz, Dan Patrick those guys are all fucksticks but its whatever. Trump is a threat to the very fabric of America and what America is supposed to be. Every check, every rule, every law we thought would protect us from becoming some dictatorship has meant nothing. The system has completely failed because no one ever imagined someone like Trump could be elected president. The sooner people understand that my side vs your side is actually America and the American ideal and the other side is Trump and his ego the sooner we can go about repairing the damage that's been done. This is the largest crisis America has face since the Civil War and there doesn't seem to be a Lincoln waiting around to save us.

• Like 1

Just now, Cheeseweasel said:

Is that why you keep negging me? Because I'm a "fragile fucking snowflake"? 

stripes lighten GIF

No, because you think I'm chasing some internet pussy and white knighting. As if there's not actual violations of American civil rights occurring on national television. 

I ask you again, and please do try to answer, have you actually watched what happened in DC last night for yourself? Not heard from your favorite shock jock or read a Twitter thread. Watched with your own eyes and heard with your own ears?

If what I'm saying sounds outrageous, it's not hyperbole. 

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

Again stop conflating Donald Trump with politics, Donald Trump is not political as he has no political philosophy beyond self aggrandizement. Mitch McConnell, Ted Cruz, Dan Patrick those guys are all fucksticks but its whatever. Trump is a threat to the very fabric of America and what America is supposed to be. Every check, every rule, every law we thought would protect us from becoming some dictatorship has meant nothing. The system has completely failed because no one ever imagined someone like Trump could be elected president. The sooner people understand that my side vs your side is actually America and the American ideal and the other side is Trump and his ego the sooner we can go about repairing the damage that's been done. This is the largest crisis America has face since the Civil War and there doesn't seem to be a Lincoln waiting around to save us.

You know, that’s a really great thought.  Perhaps you should take it to the cloak room?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

So you admit that you post to get pushback and change people’s minds? In the DT? 

• Like 2

Just now, Nicole44 said:

So you admit that you post to get pushback and change people’s minds? In the DT? 

I don't post in DT, the posters there are generally disingenuous and have no interest in seeing any side but theirs. At least the posters in CR admit they have no interest in other peoples views.

7 minutes ago, blacklab said:

So it boils down to "It's my opinion that x is not political, and everyone should listen to me and my opinion"

One would think that supposedly college educated adults could discuss things reasonably. I don't give two shits if you want to listen to me or my opinion I don't need to be heard to appeal to my vanity. But I am genuinely interested in seeing other peoples views even if they are vile filth like Icono, the only person I've ever put on ignore is phlegm. And honestly I don't care where and what people post I just hate the hypocrisy behind the policy.

Edited by Michael Knight

32 minutes ago, Captainant said:

And it's been completely misrepresented because dumbasses are focusing on what happened the day before the police brutality.

"What happened the day before" being an attempt by rioters to burn down the church, correct?  I think the outrage is lacking because most would have no problem with such people being brutalized.  Was that a different group of people?  Did a completely different group of people show up the next day to peacefully protest?

Just now, TriStone said:

"What happened the day before" being an attempt by rioters to burn down the church, correct?  I think the outrage is lacking because most would have no problem with such people being brutalized.  Was that a different group of people?  Did a completely different group of people show up the next day to peacefully protest?

Well for starters, the protesters were nowhere near the church until pushed past it by the military police. And the police used teargas on the clergy members and seminary students that were on the steps of their church providing first aid. 

6 minutes ago, blacklab said:

You would think so, but they can't, and I don't have unlimited time to moderate.

If you'd like to donate $3000 a month I'll hire some interns from UT and we can have threads like that without the usual political shit slinging.

I mean why moderate beyond death threats and actual attacks on other posters?

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Well for starters, the protesters were nowhere near the church until pushed past it by the military police.

So a different group then?

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

And the police used teargas on the clergy members and seminary students that were on the steps of their church providing first aid. 

I'll check out the videos of it this evening.

I usually discount a POV that begins with “All you people.” The vast majority of the posters here and elsewhere were outraged by Floyd’s murder and saw it as such. Most people agree with the protestors. Not so much the rioters or looters.

Most see racism as a real issue. Many more disagree with the best ways to solve a lot of the problems we are facing. Some think that Trump is entirely to blame for all of it. Lots of hate towards the police. No one wants militarization or military force being used against US citizens (that I can see). Lots of people who don’t care for the police and military are somehow cool (once Trump is gone) with having government control a bunch of stuff—as long it is it the “right” government with the “right” people in charge.

And no one is censoring anyone’s view here that I can see at all. 

just controlling where your view is posted on a public thread. And if anyone wants to read it, they can. Especially if they follow you or your posts. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

I mean why moderate beyond death threats and actual attacks on other posters?

Because of @Axiom of Choice's point: people get tired of the poo flinging monkeys. That's why 99% of  the posters avoid the CR. This board is passionate as hell about sports, but you never see the level of vitriol rise to near the level that occurs in the CR. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TriStone said:

This "BURNING OF A CHURCH" was distorted and misrepresented by right wing news outlets. The language they used was politically loaded and inconsistent with what actually happened. 

I read about it on Twitter in real time and did a news search and saw the Wapo blurb about it. Small fire, set in the basement, put out quickly, contained, minimal damage, no information about the origin of the fire.... 

Shortly thereafter the right wing news outlets went so crazy about this story of RIOTERS BURNED DOWN A CHURCH!! that I thought it was a different story. Fast forward a day and Trump is staging a photo op there. 

2 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Because of @Axiom of Choice's point: people get tired of the poo flinging monkeys. That's why 99% of  the posters avoid the CR. This board is passionate as hell about sports, but you never see the level of vitriol rise to near the level that occurs in the CR. 

Why are we appeasing those people? Who the fuck cares what they are tired of reading, they can keep on scrolling if they want or put that poster on ignore. Again they are fucking adults they should act as such. If someone wanted all non longhorn related football discussion banned on the football board are we going to appease them too?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

but you never see the level of vitriol rise to near the level that occurs in the CR.

Anytime Hugo posts in DT would disagree with this statement. There's a huge amount of groupthink in DT. Don't kid yourself. And a lot of it comes from posters who used to frequent CR for quite a while. There's posters quoting Breitbart articles and tweets. Circulating right wing propaganda talking points and conspiracies (brick piles, fake Antifa tweets). You're kidding yourself if you think there's not political posts in that forum. It's just politics most there agree with. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 5