Minneapolis is Burning-+* The moderators and admins of this site are TERRIBLE and STUPID and IGNORANT.

Just now, Iconoclast Texan said:

The real reason the @Michael Knight and @mdmost have their panties in the wad is that they don't have right wing posters like myself to battle with and they are bored. We left and took our toys with us and they don't like the fact that we are not around. I signed out of my account to check the CR thread where my Trump Goes to Church post was moved. mdmost seemed like he was sad that I could no longer participate and made 2 different posts about it. What these guys don't get is that we play be the rules and don't engage in the no Orange Man Bad/Biden is the Spawn of Satan POLITICAL talk. Talking about the office of the Presidency and the rights, responsibilities and privileges associated with it is NON-POLITICAL. Discussing the ability of the President to walk to the burned out church without being at risk of harm and the means to accomplish it are NON-POLITICAL. I am a lawyer, I can follow the rules. blacklab had every right to move the thread to CR because guys like these can't color between the lines.

Don't you have some immigrants to wish violence on?

You're deliberately misrepresenting what happened to say that Trump was visiting a burned out church and just wanted to be safe.

5 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The real reason the @Michael Knight and @mdmost have their panties in the wad is that they don't have right wing posters like myself to battle with and they are bored. We left and took our toys with us and they don't like the fact that we are not around anymore in the CR. I signed out of my account to check the CR thread where my Trump Goes to Church post was moved. mdmost seemed like he was sad that I could no longer participate and made 2 different posts about it. What these guys don't get is that we play be the rules and don't engage in the  Orange Man Bad/Biden is the Spawn of Satan POLITICAL talk. Talking about the office of the Presidency and the rights, responsibilities and privileges associated with it is NON-POLITICAL. Discussing the ability of the President to walk to the burned out church without being at risk of harm and the means to accomplish it are NON-POLITICAL. I am a lawyer, I can follow the rules. blacklab had every right to move the thread to CR because guys like these can't color between the lines.

No, I pointed out that it was useless for people to reply to your posts because you couldn't see them. You were fine with the post being moved so you could retreat to your safe space where you're not ever being political. Never mind that the thread was pulled out of DT because of your posts that were political. 

Edited by mdmost

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Don't you have some immigrants to wish violence on?

You're deliberately misrepresenting what happened to say that Trump was visiting a burned out church and just wanted to be safe.

So the people enforcing crowd control are all hellbent on suppressing dissent. You really believe that? You don't think they were clearing that out for his safety? Why the hell didn't they do that shit the other 3 nights when he didn't leave the White House. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

53 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

This is where you and others have it all wrong. I’m not saying I don’t care about politics to be cool. It’s because I don’t care. I want factoids and I want to move about my day. If I’m subjected to a bunch of emotional political bullshit, I don’t visit the thread. I suspect Imma and BL don’t want that readership hurt and this is one reason for moderation. 

I am not being disingenuous. I’m being apathetic because I’m too busy and have no interest. What I’ll make more time for is NOT being apathetic toward police brutality cases and the systemic issues of police killings in the nation. My apathy there has been the problem. But I don’t view that as political at all. 

Good post.

The bolded part is fair but it's also fair to point out that what we're witnessing right now is damn near impossible to talk about without being political.  I understand the mods wanting to keep it civil insofar as personal poo-flinging goes but there's also a political bias in "just the facts, m'aam" kind of thinking that affirms the overall political leanings of this board. 

I don't usually post in CR because I don't want to be triggered by political opinions I don't agree with. I definitely do not lean right (and don't get me started on libertarians) so you can probably guess where I stand on Trump and those who support him. That DT Minneapolis thread, from my perspective at least, is full of conservative politics that mods don't recognize because it jives with their preconceived ideas of what's "news" and what is politics.

So when I encounter those posts, what am I supposed to do? Just shut up and take it to CR?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You have the advantage of hindsight with those examples but for the citizens of those societies, the behavior of the government was normal to those populations.  Most of the people in Germany never thought Hitler was capable of pulling off something as horrific as the Holocaust (before it happened.)

I’m not saying Trump is Hitler or that he’s going to put people in extermination camps. What I’m saying is the people of Italy and Germany couldn’t recognize the evil when it was right in front of their fucking faces and millions died because of their negligence. If you cannot see that Trump is a threat to peace and freedom now, what would it take?  What line would he have to cross?  Ordering the military to go on the offensive against peacefully protesting citizens is a rather large step in a series of dangerous steps.

I can’t make you anymore or less “woke” but any good faith scholar of history and politics can tell you the road we are on will not have a happy ending.  If you don’t care how history will judge us, then you have nothing to worry about.

So you’re saying he’s not Hitler like we know him now, but he’s Hitler of the 30’s before Germany began to attempt world domination and extinguish an entire race? So in other words, he’s Hitler. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

That DT Minneapolis thread, from my perspective at least, is full of conservative politics that mods don't recognize because it jives with their preconceived ideas of what's "news" and what is politics.

So when I encounter those posts, what am I supposed to do?

Yep. What I have been doing is challenging it. Like when stone oak posts a Breitbart conspiracy tweet about brick piles or Antifa coming to the suburbs. He seems to have not liked that as he now seems to neg any post I do now in that thread, which is hurtful. I fear he'll get me crowdsourced. That was sarcasm. The fact that I annoyed him so much makes me happy. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

This thread is great reading material. As someone that 99% stays out of political discussions, it seems to me that most of the complaints are off base. I don’t see quoting right wing / left wing sources as political, I don’t see discussions involving the President’s actions as political, I don’t see most of the things several of you are bitching about as political, etc. It becomes political when you interject your politics into the discussion rather than just discussing the action/reaction. Current events are current events and should have a place for discussion without everything becoming a my side / your side political discussion. You can discuss the events yesterday without injecting politics into it I believe, we just have a subset of fucking idiots that can’t view things openly. It should be quite simple to think to yourself if Bush, Obama, Trump, fucking Ghandi performed this action, what would my view of it be? There is right/wrong and it doesn’t have different definitions based on who performed the action. Politics ruins most everything because normally rationale people lose the ability to be rationale. Keep it in the CR.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

So the people enforcing crowd control are all hellbent on suppressing dissent. You really believe that? You don't think they were clearing that out for his safety? Why the hell didn't they do that shit the other 3 nights when he didn't leave the White House. 

They started clearing out and pushing out the protesters WHO HAVE A CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO BE THERE half an hour before the curfew went into effect. The police attacked the protesters for being in the way.

Just because the president wants something, doesn't mean that he gets to brutalize the citizens lawfully exercising their rights and inconveniencing him. Especially for a photo opportunity.

If they were concerned for the presidents safety and did not want to knock heads and suppress dissent, they could have just waited a half fucking hour for curfew to start.

Your guess is as good as mine why they didn't do that before. Probably has nothing to do with the tour he's been taking of a bunch of religious sites and his concern with losing the evangelical vote

Edited by Captainant

25 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You have the advantage of hindsight with those examples but for the citizens of those societies, the behavior of the government was normal to those populations.  Most of the people in Germany never thought Hitler was capable of pulling off something as horrific as the Holocaust (before it happened.)

I’m not saying Trump is Hitler or that he’s going to put people in extermination camps. What I’m saying is the people of Italy and Germany couldn’t recognize the evil when it was right in front of their fucking faces and millions died because of their negligence. If you cannot see that Trump is a threat to peace and freedom now, what would it take?  What line would he have to cross?  Ordering the military to go on the offensive against peacefully protesting citizens is a rather large step in a series of dangerous steps.

I can’t make you anymore or less “woke” but any good faith scholar of history and politics can tell you the road we are on will not have a happy ending.  If you don’t care how history will judge us, then you have nothing to worry about.

Just so we're clear here, I should only allow anti-trump rhetoric, and no pro trump ideas on this board because he's Hitler?

And the only thing in the world that's going to take him down is a UT football message board allowing anti trump posts?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

They started clearing out and pushing out the protesters WHO HAVE A CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO BE THERE half an hour before the curfew went into effect. The police attacked the protesters for being in the way.

Just because the president wants something, doesn't mean that he gets to brutalize the citizens lawfully exercising their rights and inconveniencing him. Especially for a photo opportunity.

If they were concerned for the presidents safety and did not want to knock heads and suppress dissent, they could have just waited a half fucking hour for curfew to start.

Your guess is as good as mine why they didn't do that before. Probably has nothing to do with the tour he's been taking of a bunch of religious sites and his concern with losing the evangelical vote

triggered GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Captainant said:

ok, I'll answer for him

your feel so strongly about your opinion on this matter that you must tell us multiple times, on a thread discussing moderation of a football board, your opinion on this matter.

• Like 2

Just now, blacklab said:

ok, I'll answer for him

your feel so strongly about your opinion on this matter that you must tell us multiple times, on a thread discussing moderation of a football board, your opinion on this matter.

Just surprised to see so many folks approve of literally violent attacks on constitutional rights. Especially from a former service member. Learn new stuff every day, I guess.

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

About 10% of the people who are currently online have voted And you placed the poll in a location that would get those results, you basically just asked Vidor Texas if black lives matter.

I placed it in the busiest section of the board.

What percentage of people need to vote before you change your mind that most people don't fucking care about politics? 

1 minute ago, blacklab said:

I placed it in the busiest section of the board.

What percentage of people need to vote before you change your mind that most people don't fucking care about politics? 

By definition 51% of all active users. Also "do you care about politics" and "do you think your taxes are too high", explain to me the difference.

Isn’t there a place for Icono/Captain’s discussion? This is part of the problem with DT. Every “stupid” post doesn’t need a page of responses telling him how stupid he is which then devolves into 5 pages of back and forth with nothing ever accomplished. We all know how stupid he is and you’re not going to get anywhere.

DT isn’t the place to change people’s minds, it’s the place to discuss events.

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Just surprised to see so many folks approve of literally violent attacks on constitutional rights. Especially from a former service member. Learn new stuff every day, I guess.

Where have I said I approve of it? Please point it out. I even wasted hours of my day yesterday trying to keep a civil discussion of it, but people have to get their political opinions and personal attacks in and ruin a thread. 

Once again, I'm not arguing with what you are saying, but there's a time and place for everything.

Just now, Michael Knight said:

By definition 51% of all active users. Also "do you care about politics" and "do you think your taxes are too high", explain to me the difference.

in this discussion on this thread do you care about politics means  "if you are discussing current events with friends at a bar do you like it if someone interjects into your conversation TRUMP FUCKING SUCKS YOU FUCKING DICKWEED"

9 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Where have I said I approve of it? Please point it out. I even wasted hours of my day yesterday trying to keep a civil discussion of it, but people have to get their political opinions and personal attacks in and ruin a thread. 

Once again, I'm not arguing with what you are saying, but there's a time and place for everything.

It would be nice if you could give some timeouts for people who go personal on Icono. Similar to when people go personal on Hugo. All it does is derail anything worthwhile. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brew said:

Isn’t there a place for Icono/Captain’s discussion? This is part of the problem with DT. Every “stupid” post doesn’t need a page of responses telling him how stupid he is which then devolves into 5 pages of back and forth with nothing ever accomplished. We all know how stupid he is and you’re not going to get anywhere.

DT isn’t the place to change people’s minds, it’s the place to discuss events.

If a poster is severely misstating the facts of the event and driving discussion on an incorrect set of facts, that's sort of a problem for discussing an event. The back and forth is because people don't seem to want to believe what actually happened. I have provided multiple cited sources and primary accounts of what occurred and all I got in return was snarky gifs and told to fuck off. 

8 minutes ago, blacklab said:

I hear you that there is a time and a place, but isn't the fucking military rolling in and brutalizing protesters and clergy members that time and place to make sure we're all talking about the actual facts that happened?

At a certain point, preventing discussion all together and reframing it as "going to church" in a new thread without context, and starting the thread with a wildly inaccurate description is pretty fucking deceptive and actively minimizes the atrocity. So you haven't outright said you approve of it, but your actions come across as someone who would just rather all the riff raff keep the noise down, truth and accuracy be damned.

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It would be nice if you could give some timeouts for people who go personal on Icono. Similar to when people go personal on Hugo. All it does is derail anything worthwhile. 

I did last night to several people

13 minutes ago, blacklab said:

in this discussion on this thread do you care about politics means  "if you are discussing current events with friends at a bar do you like it if someone interjects into your conversation TRUMP FUCKING SUCKS YOU FUCKING DICKWEED"

Actually, Michael Knight would probably begin masturbating if someone said that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This thread is surprisingly productive. Michael Knight got to the crux of it on the last page.

Imagine if Surly existed in 1930s Italy or Germany.  Would the mods forbid criticism of Il Duce in the current events forum?  Would they allow Nazi propaganda in the DT threads while simultaneously forbidding posters from calling out the lies because they were too political?

torbush_400x400.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Just so we're clear here, I should only allow anti-trump rhetoric, and no pro trump ideas on this board because he's Hitler?

And the only thing in the world that's going to take him down is a UT football message board allowing anti trump posts?

I have no idea what you should do and I do not envy the position you’re in.  I empathize with the difficulty in trying to keep your loyal posters satisfied.

I have limited my posts in DT because me posting basic information often results in a thread getting derailed, no one wants that.  However, it’s not my fault there are so many crybabies that can’t handle me posting.  I’ve been accused of everything from being a paid poster to a Russian troll, none of which are true but they all have the goal of discrediting and dismissing me.  It doesn’t bother me because it comes with the territory when you post at this high of a volume.  

I’ve let my posts speak for themselves and I’m still here so thanks for that.  I’ve used this forum to document, research, and maybe help people stay informed.  I’ve not here to please any audience and I don’t give a shit about rep but I feel my voice in this space has value at this time and place.  That’s probably sounds ridiculous because it’s just a sports message board but I’ve seen what happens when these forums take a wrong turn with bad admins and it is very destructive.  I don’t want that to happen here but it’s not up to me, it’s up to you.  Great power, great responsibility spider-man.

/rant

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Captainant and Hugo have stated we need to have facts stay up or trump will turn into hitlter so sorry, needs to stay up and you need to stop being such a snowflake.

The plight of the free world is counting on this site. God help us all!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Is it just mainly posters wanting to be able to talk politics in the DT because it is more popular and read by more posters? Is that why? Are there a lot of butthurt posters limping around? 

It’s because they are only talking to themselves. The board since Hugo’s arrival is now just one unified echo chamber voice. There is no discussion of differing opinions, they simply cancel (racist Nazi Hitler) any opinion they don’t agree with. So anyone wishing to do so simply left and allowed it to fester. 

Now they are all alone with no one to spew their hate and division/frustration with so the parasites venture out of their hole to attempt to infect the rest of the board with their ideology and pick thinly veiled fights. 

They have no one to blame but themselves. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

It’s because they are only talking to themselves. The board since Hugo’s arrival is now just one unified echo chamber voice. There is no discussion of differing opinions, they simply cancel (racist Nazi Hitler) any opinion they don’t agree with. So anyone wishing to do so simply left and allowed it to fester

I‘d like to think I was instrumental in preventing this site from becoming an alt-right shithole but you are giving me way too much credit.  Personally I think many of the grievances related to this issue have to do with the rep system and how the collective posters can weaponize it to suppress alternative perspectives.  I have always been opposed any kind of rep system because it gets abused in all ways possible and contributes no value to the discussions. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

One would think that supposedly college educated adults could discuss things reasonably. I don't give two shits if you want to listen to me or my opinion I don't need to be heard to appeal to my vanity. But I am genuinely interested in seeing other peoples views even if they are vile filth like Icono, the only person I've ever put on ignore is phlegm. And honestly I don't care where and what people post I just hate the hypocrisy behind the policy.

You're just full of all kinds of shit. First of all you have no discussion with anyone you disagree with. You act the superior dick from the get go, and it only gets worse from there.

Let me get this straight... you put Phglem on ignore ?  Phlegm ?  Wow, to each his own, that says a lot about you. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I‘d like to think I was instrumental in preventing this site from becoming an alt-right shithole but you are giving me way too much credit.  Personally I think many of the grievances related to this issue have to do with the rep system and how the collective posters can weaponize it to suppress alternative perspectives.  I have always been opposed any kind of rep system because it gets abused in all ways possible and contributes no value to the discussions. 

Board managed that all on their own for nearly a decade before you showed up, but you have been instrumental in turning the CR in to a left wing shit hole. All one needs to do is look at the topics.

All current events simply fall into one of a few threads, fuck Trump, Russia Russia Russia or fuck conservatives. Don’t even bother to post new topics for discussion. 

Can’t disagree on the rep. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Board managed that all on their own for nearly a decade before you showed up, but you have been instrumental in turning the CR in to a left wing shit hole. All one needs to do is look at the topics.

All current events simply fall into one of a few threads, fuck Trump, Russia Russia Russia or fuck conservatives. Don’t even bother to post new topics for discussion. 

It ebbs and flows, in my view. I've read Hornfans when I was 13 until I joined Shaggy when I was 19. Mostly stayed out of the political boards. During the Obama years, the right wingers got in their shots in just about all the sub-forums, including movie talk, music talk, sports. These days, the turn tables. The difference is that several of the old righties don't participate anymore (and really, it's probably tough to wake up every morning and try to defend the guy in the White House), so the discussion appears to be one sided.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Agree with all this.  You don’t need to open a cloak room thread to know where it’s heading.  It’s an echo chamber and it’s boring. 

• Like 1

Read the last few pages. Yep. Surly right wingers have become giant gaping vags. Sad. The right used to give it as much as they think they got. These days they just want to tuck it and run. I think they'll wait it out until someone from the D is in the white house and they'll suddenly have something to say again.

11 minutes ago, Leamas said:

Read the last few pages. Yep. Surly right wingers have become giant gaping vags. Sad. The right used to give it as much as they think they got. These days they just want to tuck it and run. I think they'll wait it out until someone from the D is in the white house and they'll suddenly have something to say again.

Wrong. The chain negging drove us away. Check out the CR shithole. They’re trying to crowdsource me now for a thread I didn’t even start that was moved there. Pussies. I have had unpopular opinions for two decades plus on these boards. I was one of only handful who was dead set against the Iraq War from the beginning. The same Cabal that is so progressive now hated me then for my opinions. Who ended up being right? I’m willing to go toe to toe with them. What I’m not willing to do is get banned for my opinions by those cunts. I come here for Longhorn sports. That’s the whole point of this place.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Trump is really more of a Mussolini but there is a non-zero chance he could be worse than Hitler. 

ETA:  just to clarify, there’s a non-zero chance any president can be worse than Hitler because of the amount of destruction their inherent powers entitle them.  Anyway, Trump is way more Mussolini.  

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz