Ready Player One

TKthunder2

11 hours ago, PatSolitanojr said:

That kid was great in Mud

For a second I thought there was no way that actor could be old enough, but then I realized Mud came out in 2013...You're right, he was great in that role.

I'm planning on seeing it in IMAX. I loved the book but am a little skeptical that it'll adapt well to the big screen. Seemed to get positive reviews from the SXSW premiere. 

Hah

1 hour ago, TheUofTexas said:

For a second I thought there was no way that actor could be old enough, but then I realized Mud came out in 2013...You're right, he was great in that role.

I'm planning on seeing it in IMAX. I loved the book but am a little skeptical that it'll adapt well to the big screen. Seemed to get positive reviews from the SXSW premiere. 

Hah!  disagree with pretty much everything you wrote.  Book was mostly bad, just one exposition dump after another.  And the SXSW word of mouth was mediocre at best. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Hah

Hah!  disagree with pretty much everything you wrote.  Book was mostly bad, just one exposition dump after another.  And the SXSW word of mouth was mediocre at best. 

And that's fair! I do think the book was campy and I got annoyed with the narrator frequently saying "I've spent hundreds of hours watching/playing X", but I really liked the book for nostalgic reasons.

We'll have to continue to disagree on the SXSW reception. Most of the reviews I read were positive, with one of the only real knocks being some technical difficulties at the showing (but not the movie itself). 

But like I said, I'm still skeptical. I think it's fair to say that if you didn't like the book then you definitely won't like the movie. It seems like it's going to be 80s nostalgia exemplified 

Got tickets for Thursday night at the Alamo, hope they'll have some cool stuff to go along with it.

I enjoyed the book, and like others said, I'm expecting to be entertained and not enlightened.  My 10yo, however, is obsessed with the book and is in a state of frenzied anticipation, as though the Rapture is coming.

As a child of the 80s, I really enjoyed the book as well, but the storytelling was pretty clunky at times.  Dialog and character development were often awkward and forced.  I actually think it has the potential to be a better movie than book, where that storytelling can be cleaned up and streamlined quite a bit.

My kids saw the preview and are dying to see it just for the visual aspects.

2 hours ago, Damor said:

Got tickets for Thursday night at the Alamo, hope they'll have some cool stuff to go along with it.

I enjoyed the book, and like others said, I'm expecting to be entertained and not enlightened.  My 10yo, however, is obsessed with the book and is in a state of frenzied anticipation, as though the Rapture is coming.

My kid is the same way. We got our tickets last week and he was shocked that there were tickets available for opening night. He assumes everyone is as excited as he is.

It did look like the weekend shows were sold out, at Mueller at least.  I kind of figured the Alamo might have more stuff going on, though, given that they had Cline put together a lineup of 'reference' movies.

I did order my boys the Iron Giant tiki mugs.

2 hours ago, huge said:

I loved the book.  I suspect I was the target market though, 80s kid that grew up on video games...

...Video games, dungeons and dragons, and Rush.  If there were only 60s mustangs and acid washed denim included, it would have knocked the culture references out of the park.

Loved the book, so I’ll watch the film  

Saw a screening last night, it was cool. Solid B movie with a coherent storyline and can be fun at times. Definitely felt more of a teenage movie though(which I suppose the book is supposed to be but the 80s culture makes it feel otherwise). The 'Avatar'ish animation kind of annoyed me, maybe bc I read the book and imagined it more just as a 3D representation of life instead of a video game, but that's a personal preference. There are definitely more than a few of the pop culture refs but I still felt like it could use a few more, and even though the 80s soundtrack was kinda cool, I'm not sure the staff on the film new exactly when to let that soundtrack take over like it could have (compared to say a Linklater or whoever did 'I, Tonya').

I don't think y'all will be particularly disappointed. It isn't completely like the book either, I think they had to take out a lot of the Atari and arcade game parts (and even some of the violence) to make it more palatable for the kids. There is one great Kubrick scene though, I was really impressed with that.

10 hours ago, Richter said:

I think I’ve seen Ernest Clines delorian in North Austin at least once.

So I don't anything about Cline, but now I just realized that I saw a documentary about  Atari and this "lost" video game that was dumped in a New Mexico landfill.   One of the people that came to the excavation site was a dude in a Delorian.  Assuming that is the same guy then?

52 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

So I don't anything about Cline, but now I just realized that I saw a documentary about  Atari and this "lost" video game that was dumped in a New Mexico landfill.   One of the people that came to the excavation site was a dude in a Delorian.  Assuming that is the same guy then?

You may be mocking me, but Ernest Cline lives in Austin (I think in the North part of town) so I am not sure there are too many Delorian's here.  Its not a super common car.  I can't speak if he was in NM, but from what I understand of his background and interest, it seems like that was something he might be interested in.

Sweet.

Just to get further off track, we went to see Tom Wilson (Biff Tannen) years ago at the Laff Stop in Houston (he's pretty funny).  One of the audience members had a Delorean and got him to autograph the dashboard afterward.

/oldcsb