Lets fix the police

Brisketexan

On 6/1/2020 at 3:14 PM, BabaYaga said:

I'd want the city and police leaders justifying someone with that number of incidents in an active duty role?  This goes above the commissioner.  Over the course of a career, is 18 high?  Seems like it.  So why was he on active duty?  Was he the senior on the call?  Based upon the actions of the others, seems like it as they deferred to his lead?

As for lying, statistics, who knows.  Goes for everyone in public service.  Short of gnashing teeth, you have an opportunity with these officers to get your pound of flesh.  I did see the stats for 2019 and unarmed accounts.  Based upon media coverage, I thought it would have been in triple digits (even one is too many, but you get the point)

• 9 unarmed blacks killed in 2019
  • 6 unarmed Hispanics killed in 2019
  • 19 unarmed whites killed in 2019

Cops rolling around in Houston with bags of heroin in the trunks of their cruisers going into drug busts and you really believe those “unarmed” stats?

No way those are even close to accurate.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cajun said:

Cops rolling around in Houston with bags of heroin in the trunks of their cruisers going into drug busts and you really believe those “unarmed” stats?

No way those are even close to accurate.

Maybe?  Maybe not?  But if it's nothing more than conjecture, than the whole exercise of reviewing what we do know goes out the window.  At the end of the day, if we are talking "systemic" and "structural" changes, to me that starts with a mechanism that facilitates the removal of bad apples.  To me, that starts with the immunity clauses and power of the unions.  Why I fear the unions won't work, is the unions exist to serve and protect (pun intended) the power and scope of the unions.  Topple one.  Others are open to review.

Sunlight is still the best disinfectant.  Transparency.  As it goes with the private sector, even more is needed in the public.  Accountability goes up the chain to the elected officials in the districts these events happen in.  

On 6/1/2020 at 8:06 AM, Murfdogg21 said:

LOL should they should make a drug bust or respond to domestic violence or an active shooter situation with words? [/not TeamCop]

Agreed. Maybe there's a middle ground where they earn their firearm by serving responsibly with tazers, etc for 2+ years. Any sort of problem or red flag adds a year or forever eliminates them from policing with a firearm. Minor problems once they've earned their firearm result in temporarily losing it. It doesn't seem that complicated to me, so I'm sure I'm missing something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Maybe?  Maybe not?  But if it's nothing more than conjecture, than the whole exercise of reviewing what we do know goes out the window.  At the end of the day, if we are talking "systemic" and "structural" changes, to me that starts with a mechanism that facilitates the removal of bad apples.  To me, that starts with the immunity clauses and power of the unions.  Why I fear the unions won't work, is the unions exist to serve and protect (pun intended) the power and scope of the unions.  Topple one.  Others are open to review.

Sunlight is still the best disinfectant.  Transparency.  As it goes with the private sector, even more is needed in the public.  Accountability goes up the chain to the elected officials in the districts these events happen in.  

There's no maybe not and you know it.

C'mon man.

As long we operate from a place of being willfully obtuse, this is all just fantasy.  That pretend, "Well, I just don't know if that's true..." is such a massive roadblock to the sunlight "disinfectant" you rightfully seek that it's not even worth discussing.  We've got to start there and admit what is known, which is that cops lie, cover up, and kill at a higher level than what the stats show and are given their own form of "sunlight" to do so by the existence of systems that allow them to investigate themselves and to a great extent control the very statistics that you are putting so much faith in.

I don't disagree with you on immunity, not one bit.  But, we need to simultaneously take away their ability to cook the books in their own favor.  The People need to control those books, not the HEROES.

So, I haven't seen anything on the news, are community leaders and government leaders coming together to discuss and start working on legislation to fix their local police forces or is it just us people on the internet?

I would like to think lawmakers would want negotiations and drafting of bills to vote on would be a top priority right now.

14 minutes ago, Cajun said:

There's no maybe not and you know it.

C'mon man.

As long we operate from a place of being willfully obtuse, this is all just fantasy.  That pretend, "Well, I just don't know if that's true..." is such a massive roadblock to the sunlight "disinfectant" you rightfully seek that it's not even worth discussing.  We've got to start there and admit what is known, which is that cops lie, cover up, and kill at a higher level than what the stats show and are given their own form of "sunlight" to do so by the existence of systems that allow them to investigate themselves and to a great extent control the very statistics that you are putting so much faith in.

I don't disagree with you on immunity, not one bit.  But, we need to simultaneously take away their ability to cook the books in their own favor.  The People need to control those books, not the HEROES.

I think if change is needed, blanket generalizations, whether they be about politics, or anyone other group, does the conversation a disservice.  I'm not disagreeing that cops lie.  Ok, how many?  All of them?  Half?  They kill at a higher level.  Agreed, but what is that level?  It's a pointless exercise until the mechanism for obfuscation is removed.  Then you can have the dialogue.  

So we're saying the same thing I think - that the focus needs to be on mechanism that facilitates the removal of the opaque world LE is allowed to operate within.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B00M said:

Maybe there's a middle ground where they earn their firearm by serving responsibly with tazers, etc for 2+ years

Assuming they survive that long patrolling streets and facing armed criminals.  Seriously, if you were a perp, and you had the knowledge that the LE in your region were probational and unarmed.....or a fraction were.  Do you have a "real" armed cop in the car and his little sidekick?  Officers cover each other.  There's a reason they work in pairs and never do anything without the other.  

15 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I think if change is needed, blanket generalizations, whether they be about politics, or anyone other group, does the conversation a disservice.  I'm not disagreeing that cops lie.  Ok, how many?  All of them?  Half?  They kill at a higher level.  Agreed, but what is that level?  It's a pointless exercise until the mechanism for obfuscation is removed.  Then you can have the dialogue.  

So we're saying the same thing I think - that the focus needs to be on mechanism that facilitates the removal of the opaque world LE is allowed to operate within.  

Yes, I do think we are saying the same thing, now that you put it that way.  The sunlight that you propose would be greatly augmented by removing their ability to control their own statistics.  It's almost chicken or the eggish in my view.  Rip the fucking BandAide off and take both away at the same time.  Change the beat instantly, none of this slow drip shit.

LEOs thrive on being provided a metric shit-ton of benefit of the doubt while giving very little in return.  That needs to be obliterated from jump street in this "fix".  No benefit of the doubt.  Nada.   You don't get to breathe the oxygen of living in the margins anymore and you control nothing regarding accountability.  You are at the mercy of The People.  

That's when we'll find out who the real Heroes are.  The ones who are really out there to serve and protect The People and not themselves.

when a cop cant be honest about simple traffic stops...the whole thing is fucked. when a cop hides to give you a ticket- that is not protecting and serving, that is generating revenue.

instead of drivers license and insurance...produce a current paystub and the police interaction stops there. do this for all police interactions. if folks are contributing to society leave them the fuck alone. this also encourage folks to keep a job so they dont have to be fucked with.

if its petty bullshit leave people the fuck alone because we will never be assured that the police are in the right frame of mind to be stewards they signed up to be. the system needs changing and the people running the system can no longer be trusted, so here we are.

Edited by riloh05
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, riloh05 said:

when a cop cant be honest about simple traffic stops...the whole thing is fucked. when a cop hides to give you a ticket- that is not protecting and serving, that is generating revenue.

Speed traps a fucksville.  But isn't the city promoting those?  It's a money-grab either way.  

18 minutes ago, riloh05 said:

nstead of drivers license and insurance...produce a current paystub and the police interaction stops there. do this for all police interactions. if folks are contributing to society leave them the fuck alone. if its petty bullshit leave people the fuck alone because we will never be assured that the police are in the right frame of mind to be stewards they signed up to be. the system needs changing and the people running the system can no longer be trusted, so here we are.

Don't disagree, but jesus christ the whining on this will be biblical.  What if I'm retired.  Between jobs.  1099.  LLC.  Ahhhhhhh.......

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Speed traps a fucksville.  But isn't the city promoting those?  It's a money-grab either way.  

Don't disagree, but jesus christ the whining on this will be biblical.  What if I'm retired.  Between jobs.  1099.  LLC.  Ahhhhhhh.......

The 1099, stay at home moms, retired, 1099, etc will be easier to prove than quit fucking with me for no reason and escalating petty bullshit in to death. Being in between jobs...make sure you are doing the right things. It would also eliminate they need to be nervous because of your skin color or prior issues if you are employed. The gotcha games seems to lead to all the bullshit.

Heard about this on Bill Simmons podcast.  

Deray and his team have studied 8 actions when not followed by police can decrease police violence by 72%.  You can also check your city to see what they policy allows for and doesnt.  

https://8cantwait.org/

Also check out https://www.joincampaignzero.org/#vision

We can live in a world where the police don't kill people
by limiting police interventions, improving community interactions, and ensuring accountability.

CLICK THE CATEGORIES BELOW FOR POLICY SOLUTIONS (DOWNLOAD THIS GRAPHIC)

image-asset.png?format=300w
ProfitPolicing (1).png
Excessive Force.jpeg
Militarization.jpeg
Training (1).png
Diversity.png
Tech.png
Oversight.jpeg
Accountability.jpeg
Data.png
  • Like 6

Pretty good debate.  Lots of good suggestions.  To me, there is really only one bottom line- the union.  Cops are human and human nature is always going to be human nature for all of eternity (with exception of true sociopaths etc.).

The union set up has made the policing of their own detrimental to the ones doing it.  No system is ever going to work if it requires people to do things that are against their own self interests.  That is just human nature.  If a good cop sees a bad cop doing something wrong and reports it, the union is going to defend the bad cop and make a pariah out of the good cop.  A system like that will always fail.  

I read on here the cop in Minn had 18 complaints filed against him.  As mentioned, hard to know If that is a lot but it seems like a lot.  However, he obviously was never fired.  It is really, really hard to fire a police officer.  Really hard.  And it should not be but the union has tremendous power.  Everyone who has had kids go through school knows who the bad teachers are at the school.  Everyone.  But we just hope our kids dont get them because they almost can not be fired.  Cops are the same way.  In every precinct everyone knows who the bad actors are.  Everyone.  Yet, they cant say or do shit because the union will protect the bad apples and then the good guys get shit on. 

We need to have a 3-5 person panel made up of the police chief and a group of officers that are elected by their own.  That group should have 100% power to fire anyone on the force.  No questions asked and no appeal.  Its certainly possible someone could get fired unjustly but life sucks sometimes.  I would also have no problem with all of the transcripts/evidence from these hearings reviewed by the DOJ.  

Although it may be unpopular right now, we do need to consider what we are asking of cops.  The pay is terrible.  The hours are long.  The stress is high.  They deal with an underbelly that is psychologically demoralizing.  And there is no doubt it attracts a certain personality type.  I would advocate for a much more tiered pay scale for cops.  Start lower but have the ability to get much higher.  Use the initial years to weed out the bad apples and then retain the quality ones and pay them to stay.

Not an apples to apples comparison but you will get the gist.  I worked for years with trade unions- carpenters, welders, electricians, plumbers etc.  You would have 5 guys on a line and 1 would be worthless, 3 would be adequate and 1 would be a stud.  Yet, you could not fire the worthless one and you could not pay/reward the stud more than the others.  In the end, the studs go do something else and everything gets dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.  It is the same currently with cops.  

I work for a company that is predominantly union. Used to be all union. The owner/founder liked it that way. He became a billionaire having a union shop because he had a ready made partner for his products, the other unions. Company was sold to a publicly held corp after founder guy died 10 or so years ago. Slowly but surely they are reducing the number of employees who are union. Retirement, work is evolving, outsourcing, whatever. Most folks will take higher wages and give up some of the bs. Phasing out the unions is doable with good elected leadership and a plan that is adhered to long term. A business has that luxury but cities need to force the same onto their elected officials. Get on board or get gone. 

• Like 1

There are already changes being implemented - I fear this one will end in disaster.

LA Mayor announced today that they will be cutting $150 million from the LAPD budget (The local coordinator for BLM says that isn't enough and is demanding even more defunding.)

With the reduction in revenue from sales tax, fuel tax, and hotel occupancy tax there were going to be budget cuts anyways, now it looks like LAPD will take a disproportionate amount of the cuts

For example in the month of May in Texas (purchases in April):

• Sales tax down 13% YoY
  • Fuel tax down 30%
  • Hotel tax down 86%

No changes.  Just less revenue?  Not sure what the end-game here is?  So they will have fewer, lower paid, more poorly equipped officers with less training - Less budget equals fewer officers (and therefore, highly stressed, overworked officers), less training for those already overworked officers, more overtime expense, fewer body cams, higher officer turnover,, and lowering of requirements for officers due to scarcity issues.  

I still like the idea of LEOs having to get a license from the state to be an officer and citizens being able to report rights violations directly to the state. Two or more reports in a six month period and you lose your license. If you beat or kill someone it is instant termination with criminal and civil liability (must carry a personal liability policy paid by the LEO). If you accumulate over five violations, your licensed is revoked. If your body cam is off, its a violation.

Call an emergency legislative session to get it passed, and it could be implemented before football season starts.

CHIEF

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

I still like the idea of LEOs having to get a license from the state to be an officer and citizens being able to report rights violations directly to the state. Two or more reports in a six month period and you lose your license. If you beat or kill someone it is instant termination with criminal and civil liability (must carry a personal liability policy paid by the LEO). If you accumulate over five violations, your licensed is revoked. If your body cam is off, its a violation.

Call an emergency legislative session to get it passed, and it could be implemented before football season starts.

CHIEF

Reports? Please elaborate. 

• Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

Reports? Please elaborate. 

Set up a department or a branch of an existing department with advertised contact info for citizens to call if they think their rights were violated. They can email pictures, videos, whatever, as evidence. The independent agency then can view the LEOs body cam, and come up with their own conclusion. The review board would have to be properly vetted, no former or current LEOs. 

You must be a registered LEO to work anywhere in the state, but your license can be revoked. End around on the unions.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 8:41 AM, BabaYaga said:

It's not conjecture. It's commonfuckingsense

14 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Set up a department or a branch of an existing department with advertised contact info for citizens to call if they think their rights were violated. They can email pictures, videos, whatever, as evidence. The independent agency then can view the LEOs body cam, and come up with their own conclusion. The review board would have to be properly vetted, no former or current LEOs. 

You must be a registered LEO to work anywhere in the state, but your license can be revoked. End around on the unions.

CHIEF

OK, sounds good, I was just making sure you were wanting there to be evidence, for obvious reasons. 

• Fuck You 2

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

I’m one of the more police reform posters in surly and even I think this point needs work.  Police are going to kill people given the nature of their work.  Extreme example; cop run into a high school with an active shooter and manages to take him out.  Why should he be terminated?   

14 hours ago, SDG said:

I’m one of the more police reform posters in surly and even I think this point needs work.  Police are going to kill people given the nature of their work.  Extreme example; cop run into a high school with an active shooter and manages to take him out.  Why should he be terminated?   

The review board would deem that use of force justified. The members of the board will have to be impartial and not be agenda driven. This isn’t to nueter the cops, but to keep them in line during routine interactions with the average citizen. 

CHIEF

Disband SWAT outfits, nationwide. Quit using cops for revenue generation with bullshit traffic code enforcement. Cameras on every cop and cop vehicle must be working or cop doesn't work. All camera systems with 360-degree view. All camera systems stream to universal server accessible 24/7 by everyone. You say that's dangerous? Now you know how non-cops feel.

Not gonna happen? Maybe, but it's not any more disingenuous than expecting an "impartial" commission.

43 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Disband SWAT outfits, nationwide. Quit using cops for revenue generation with bullshit traffic code enforcement. Cameras on every cop and cop vehicle must be working or cop doesn't work. All camera systems with 360-degree view. All camera systems stream to universal server accessible 24/7 by everyone. You say that's dangerous? Now you know how non-cops feel.

Not gonna happen? Maybe, but it's not any more disingenuous than expecting an "impartial" commission.

This has been one of my biggest pushes.  It’s been proven multiple times that Police reports are complete works of fiction that most jury’s take as gospel.   

I do understand why Minneapolis is deciding to go to community policing, its the only way they can break the union.

these cities that want to defund police should just write up their own contract with their terms and send it over and see how many quit.

On 6/6/2020 at 12:32 PM, SDG said:

This has been one of my biggest pushes.  It’s been proven multiple times that Police reports are complete works of fiction that most jury’s take as gospel.   

I do think that tide is definitely turning.  They've exposed themselves too much.  That said, there are still plenty of sad sacks in this country who think every drop of spit from a cop's mouth is a golden nugget of truth.

Those people are bigger problems than the cops themselves.  

They are the oxygen that allows all the lying to thrive.

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

I do think that tide is definitely turning.  They've exposed themselves too much.  That said, there are still plenty of sad sacks in this country who think every drop of spit from a cop's mouth is a golden nugget of truth.

Those people are bigger problems than the cops themselves.  

They are the oxygen that allows all the lying to thrive.

These people have been propagandized nonstop their entire lives - radio, tv, newspaper, movie, magazine, book... and virtually every teacher they've ever had.  It's not accidental, and it's not easy to undo.

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I do understand why Minneapolis is deciding to go to community policing, its the only way they can break the union.

these cities that want to defund police should just write up their own contract with their terms and send it over and see how many quit.

IIRC, the Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan established his own neighborhood’s “police force” decades ago with some success. I have no info on how it functioned, but supposedly his area has little crime ... last I read.

Same sentence for a cop that kills an innocent victim that someone gets for killing a cop. I'm guessing the sentence is life or death penalty in most cop killings depending on the situation. I have no problem with that POS in Minneapolis getting the death penalty if it's an option in Minnesota.  I'm sure if Mr Floyd killed the cop with a knee to the neck for 9 minutes he would be on death row soon. I know a few fine officers so I'm definitely not anti cop, but I am for justice for all.

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

These people have been propagandized nonstop their entire lives - radio, tv, newspaper, movie, magazine, book... and virtually every teacher they've ever had.  It's not accidental, and it's not easy to undo.

One thing that undoes them is achieving room temperature, which a lot of these gheezers are currently doing or, at a minimum, are loosening up in the on-deck circle.

The generations coming up on their collective "six", all their shortcomings aside (which are considerable btw), do not suffer from such indoctrinations.  The reverse of your "propagandized" description is true of them.

Edited by Cajun

8 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Same sentence for a cop that kills an innocent victim that someone gets for killing a cop. I'm guessing the sentence is life or death penalty in most cop killings depending on the situation. I have no problem with that POS in Minneapolis getting the death penalty if it's an option in Minnesota.  I'm sure if Mr Floyd killed the cop with a knee to the neck for 9 minutes he would be on death row soon. I know a few fine officers so I'm definitely not anti cop, but I am for justice for all.

I'd add onto that, equal status for our pooches that a HEROE'S dog gets when said HERO blows him/her the fuck away for coming to lick his face.  At least hit them with animal cruelty convictions. 

I'm so sick of these pussies killing people pets under the guise of "safety" that I can't fucking see straight.

Edited by Cajun

On 6/6/2020 at 12:32 PM, SDG said:

I had jury duty about 5 years ago and in voir dire the prosecutors asked if we could vote to convict a DUI case based on the cop's testimony with no other corroborating evidence (no test, no video, nothing else).  Probably 95%+ said that they could.  I said that it would depend but probably not.  Obviously I wasn't selected.  In the future, I think I'll try to play along and see if I can get some poor bastard off (phrasing).

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

IIRC, the Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan established his own neighborhood’s “police force” decades ago with some success. I have no info on how it functioned, but supposedly his area has little crime ... last I read.

Interesting forces at play with the whole 2nd Amendment/Gun control dynamic.

/popcorn gif

27 minutes ago, WBT said:

I had jury duty about 5 years ago and in voir dire the prosecutors asked if we could vote to convict a DUI case based on the cop's testimony with no other corroborating evidence (no test, no video, nothing else).  Probably 95%+ said that they could.  I said that it would depend but probably not.  Obviously I wasn't selected.  In the future, I think I'll try to play along and see if I can get some poor bastard off (phrasing).

So sad and pathetic.

Goddamned sheep.

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

When I think of people to listen to, it's people who are anti termite.

3 hours ago, WBT said:

Yeah, they asked us what we thought about cops, and me and another guy that lived down my street didn't have good things to say.

do black, latino, or asian police kill unarmed, subdued, or otherwise non-threatening people?

i know the idea won't be accepted, but what if the answer is to simply hire more police of color to reduce the number of nationalists, supremacists, and (white) people who just don't mind killing people of color behind the badge who have entered the police force?

or is this thread trying to solve some other problem?

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Snacks said:

do black, latino, or asian police kill unarmed, subdued, or otherwise non-threatening people?

i know the idea won't be accepted, but what if the answer is to simply hire more police of color to reduce the number of nationalists, supremacists, and (white) people who just don't mind killing people of color behind the badge who have entered the police force?

or is this thread trying to solve some other problem?

I'm pretty sure one of the cops that killed Eric Garner was black. Castile was killed by an hispanic cop....so to answer your question, probably not