Texas Women's Tennis 2020-2021 Let's Go!!!

LTtxfan

Joffe was smart in scheduling Baylor multiple times this season. Three top 10 wins against the same team is huge in a limited traveling season for the computer rankings.

Baylor also did some smart scheduling. Played quite a few 20-30 teams. Have not played any top 15 teams this year and will likely win out the rest of the regular season to maintain a top 10 ranking

Edited by Aleemay

28 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Another 7-0 sweep in the books. This one against KState. Still no Peyton Stearns, but hopefully she'll be back for Friday's match @Texas Tech 

Yeah it seems like Peyton rolled her ankle (check her IG). Hopefully it's minor- from the KU video she seems to be walking fine

Something interesting they're doing this year is that they announced 20 potential sites today for the NCAAs. Four will get cut.

List is here:

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/committees/d1/compoversig/Apr2021D1AdCom_Apr14Report.pdf

What I find interesting is that this list must have been done with previous week's rankings as teams like LSU and Tennessee are on this list even though A&M is top 16 (was on the outside couple of weeks ago) and has wins over both LSU and Tennessee. This probably means A&M will get sent to Baylor as the second seed. UT and Baylor will probably split Rice and SMU (as long as they're rankings hold up).

22 minutes ago, Aleemay said:

Something interesting they're doing this year is that they announced 20 potential sites today for the NCAAs. Four will get cut.

List is here:

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/committees/d1/compoversig/Apr2021D1AdCom_Apr14Report.pdf

What I find interesting is that this list must have been done with previous week's rankings as teams like LSU and Tennessee are on this list even though A&M is top 16 (was on the outside couple of weeks ago) and has wins over both LSU and Tennessee. This probably means A&M will get sent to Baylor as the second seed. UT and Baylor will probably split Rice and SMU (as long as they're rankings hold up).

That seems very odd. It’s like saying if you’re ranked #21 or worse at this point in the season, you have no chance to host even if you pull off some big upsets in your conference tourney. I don’t get it 

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Kansas def. KSU 4-3 today so they’ll be our opponent. Weather is supposed to be nasty tomorrow so matches tomorrow will probably be indoors. We’ll be fine either way against KU

Better for us fans if it goes indoors. Horns are scheduled to play on the outdoor courts that does not have Play Sight cameras

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

What’s the gulf between us and #1? Do we have a legit title shot?

UNC's roster is packed, extremely. They have basically three super seniors and haven't lost a dual match since 2019.

Saw a tweet that summed up what they've done this past few years

The good news is that Texas lost a nail bitter to them earlier this year indoors. UNC also has not made an NCAA final yet with this illustrious class. I'd rate Texas as having a 20-30% chance of beating UNC. Things that have to happen are Peyton needs to get hot during NCAAs and Joffe has to decide between Labrana and Rapolu at 6. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20-30% chance at toppling UNC sounds about right. Fortunately we wouldn't face them until the finals. Pepperdine and Georgia will be a coin flip in the semi finals, because they are right there with us talent wise. I would give us a 50-50 chance at making the finals, and then a 25% chance of winning it, assuming our opponent is UNC. If we get Pepperdine or Georgia in the finals, thats a coinflip finals. Like Aleemay said, we need Peyton to get back to her early season form to have a shot. 

Draw will be revealed tomorrow. Texas will be the second seed. Predict that Arkansas will be the second seed of the regional. Guess is based on Arkansas being around the right rank (top 30) and that the NCAA will have to split the SEC conference (11 or 12 bids) between the regionals evenly.

Wonder if the NCAA will go ahead and send A&M over to Baylor. Would be unfair since that wound a nationally top 10 match up in the second round. Either way whoever gets A&M in their regional is going to be pretty unhappy.

Rice and A&M Corpus Christi likely to be sent between Baylor and Texas.

SMU likely to be one of the first teams out.

22 hours ago, Aleemay said:

Draw will be revealed tomorrow. Texas will be the second seed. Predict that Arkansas will be the second seed of the regional. Guess is based on Arkansas being around the right rank (top 30) and that the NCAA will have to split the SEC conference (11 or 12 bids) between the regionals evenly.

Wonder if the NCAA will go ahead and send A&M over to Baylor. Would be unfair since that wound a nationally top 10 match up in the second round. Either way whoever gets A&M in their regional is going to be pretty unhappy.

Rice and A&M Corpus Christi likely to be sent between Baylor and Texas.

SMU likely to be one of the first teams out.

Denver, Miss St, ASU. 

Aggy got a seed (10)

Guest Lobo

I'm sure this is a dumb question even in non-Covid years.  My 6YO girl is finally getting into tennis this year.  Are they doing tickets/attendance for these two rounds or no?  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'm sure this is a dumb question even in non-Covid years.  My 6YO girl is finally getting into tennis this year.  Are they doing tickets/attendance for these two rounds or no?  

In normal years, although UT regular season matches are free to attend, they do charge for admission to NCAA tournament matches. Generally its only $20 or so for the weekend. I haven't been to a tournament match since matches were at pennick so I'm not sure how its done now.

Guest Lobo

Thanks.  The times I've driven by, it looks like nobody has even been allowed in for matches (regular season) save for maybe family and staff.  Would love to take the girls on Saturday for ASU or MSU.  I'm sure details, or lack thereof, will be posted soon at texassports.com  

Tickets

A reduced number of tickets per match will be available to the public.  These tickets will be $5 per match, available as walk-up purchases only, and must be paid for using a debit/credit card.  The Tennis Center will be cleared of fans for sanitizing in between each match, so fans wishing to attend multiple matches must purchase a ticket for each individual match.