Overrated Austin restaurants?

Chet Steadman

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

I dry heave when I think about El Arroyo. We wore the shit out of the Far West location when then kids were little.  It could be that we just got sick of the place, but I really think the once averagely decent food stated going waaaaay down hill during the last five or so years of its existence. 

It definitely went way down, at all of their locations.  It wasn't always dry-heave-worthy, they actually used to have a couple of good dishes.  Their standard Tex-Mex brown enchilada gravy wasn't ever very good, but their BBQ enchiladas and Enchiladas del Mar were both pretty tasty.

Then, it all went to complete crap and not one thing on the menu is decent anymore.  Or at least, it wasn't as of the last time that I tried any of the locations which has to be 5 years or longer.

But in college in the early 90s, and as a young professional in the mid-late 90s, the original location was a great place to do happy hour and pre-party on a Friday night.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

I dry heave when I think about El Arroyo. We wore the shit out of the Far West location when then kids were little.  It could be that we just got sick of the place, but I really think the once averagely decent food stated going waaaaay down hill during the last five or so years of its existence. 

El Arroyo cratered once Clay sold it to the Winstanley's.  We always went to Far West location with the kids, too.  Once the ownership changed, the chips weren't made on site and they served bagged, cold chips along with salsa that was no longer made on site.  The menu also changed and the food got bad.  The service got worse, too, as the cute college-girl type servers ended up heading to greener pastures.  RIP to a fun memory.

• Like 2

Nice to see this thread bumped as I have an entry to submit: Tyson's Tacos come on down to the chopping block.

I always have reservations about "white" taco places (I don't care if that's PC or not it's the term I'm using because we all know what that means) but I had heard decent stuff so I placed a to go order tonight. 

While placing the order I am looking at pictures of all of the tacos - and all of them are pictured with a corn tortilla (as should be customary outside of breakfast tacos). I order 4 tacos. I don't specify tortilla. It doesn't make you specify tortilla. I figure, at the very least like Torchy's (seeing a trend here) some will be on flour some on corn. 

What I get is 4 tacos all on flour tortillas. This includes a barbacoa taco, an al pastor taco and a fish taco (flour was probably appropriate for the 4th taco). I unwrapped the barbacoa first and remember thinking "Oh no. They're all going to be on flour. Not a good start."

How the fuck can I take you seriously as a taco joint when you serve me as your DEFAULT a fish taco on a fucking flour tortilla? Who has ever wanted that in any region of this country which has a modicum of self-respect when it comes to taco making? 

Also - a carnitas taco (and barely passable carnitas at that) with chunks of pineapple is not "al pastor". If I wanted a carnitas taco with a bunch of fucking pineapple in it I'd specify that. Just like if I wanted a fish taco on a flour tortilla I'd specify that, as well. Even though people have been drawn and quartered for less sacrilege.

Your tortilla practices suck, your "al pastor" is an affront to Mexican culture, lime wedges were nowhere to be found, your salsa is decent and the rest was edible. Even the complimentary cucumber water as I waited was gross - but I like the thought.

Good luck with your enterprise - but I shall not be returning. Perhaps you can hoodwink some Chicago transplants or piss-drunk tourists into thinking your tacos are "legit".

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 3/27/2021 at 10:12 AM, Enchubben said:

^dollaritas on Thursday.  I remember having receipts like a mile long. Of course they had probably next to nothing in the way of tequila in them.

Dollaritas were awesome. I don’t remember them being weak. They were a decent margarita. I kept the straws to keep an accurate accounting of the damage. Pounded chips and salsa to keep something on my stomach. 

Much like Baby A’s, I refused to eat a meal there. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

45 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I always have reservations about pinche gabacho/gringo taco places

While placing the order I am looking at pictures of all of the tacos - and all of them are pictured with a corn tortilla (as should be customary outside of breakfast tacos). 

What I get is 4 tacos all on flour tortillas. This includes a barbacoa taco, an al pastor taco and a fish taco (flour was probably appropriate for the 4th taco). I unwrapped the barbacoa first and remember thinking "Oh no. They're all going to be on flour. Not a good start."

Just for the record, barbacoa can be either. I eat barbacoa mainly for breakfast. I make my own barbacoa. Also make my own tortillas... flour and corn. 
Agree with you hermano. When they start adding fennel, tofu, quinoa, etc. to our comida... I’m like c’mon mang. 

Edited by JerrysJheriCurl
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

Just for the record, barbacoa can be either. I eat barbacoa mainly for breakfast. I make my own barbacoa. Also make my own tortillas... flour and corn. 
Agree with you hermano. When they start adding fennel, tofu, quinoa, etc. to our comida... I’m like c’mon mang. 

Agree on barbacoa. But when I saw it was on flour I knew the others probably were, too.

My favorite barbacoa in town is from a truck at the big Sunoco station right next to the FC Austin stadium. I get it on flour because I don't particularly like their corn tortillas. This place also has some of the hottest red sauce I've ever had - like melt your face off and fuck your day up hot - but God damn it's good. It humbles me as I can usually play ball just fine with most of the sauces at the autentico places but this one is different. I don't know if it's a family or regional thing or what. 

I love the atmosphere at Matt's, the food is decent but not mind blowing.  I used to go to the original Lupe Tortilla, near the burger place on Hwy 6/ I-10.  I want to say Sam's burgers, but don't think I'm right, it was a small joint with nooks and crannies of antiques upon which to eat. Help me out here West Houston kids??? 

I think Lupe is overpriced, but the Fajitas blow Matt's away.  Past that, they are probably in hand to hand combat quality and consistency wise, depending on which dishes are your particular preference.  I tend to think that Lupe is a hair more consistent, simply from a corporate machine standpoint that Matt's is when the place is packed.  Matt's is also MUCH larger than Lupe Tortilla, so there is that as well. Only reason for me to go to Matt's is to people watch, have a Bob Armstrong, and sit on the patio. 

I don't go to either much anymore, and we not drift mostly to Y mas as for the money it's on point.  The fact I now am smart enough to simply order a side shot of Grand Marnier, makes their ritas more in my flavor profile.  

If I was going to go deep into the Matt's vs Lupe battle I would probably toss Gloria's into that mix.  Since I live NW it's the right combination of overpriced, decent quality, and better grade of people watching, for me to declare Gloria's hands down superior to BOTH Matt's and Lupe Tortilla!!! 😉  

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

While placing the order I am looking at pictures of all of the tacos - and all of them are pictured with a corn tortilla (as should be customary outside of breakfast tacos). I order 4 tacos. I don't specify tortilla. It doesn't make you specify tortilla. I figure, at the very least like Torchy's (seeing a trend here) some will be on flour some on corn. 

I will NEVER be an apologist for gringo taco joints -- but as noted above, some of those can be served on flour.  The real break between corn and flour is between southern/central mexico and northern mexico.  My family was northern mexican ranchers -- 90% of the time, tortillas for any purpose were flour.  Go south, and it's hard to even find a flour tortilla.  

I prefer barbacoa on a flour tortilla -- it's what I grew up with.  Al Pastor, yeah, that's a CDMX thing by origin, generally, so corn it is.  Fish tacos?  Dude, those were made up in the past few decades.  I like em, but put em on a quinoa tortilla for all I care.  I prefer corn because it's not as overwhelming of a light fish filet, but it's a relatively new-fangled concoction, so no rules.

What annoys me more is the $4-$5 per taco price tag gringo joints charge.  Fuck that shit.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

What annoys me more is the $4-$5 per taco price tag gringo joints charge.  Fuck that shit.

This. You can get a better product at some little truck or trailer and get 3 for $5. 

Right up here, Terry’s Taco Stand, USA. I could go for a taco. Five for a buck.

Sounds horrible. I’d rather go somewhere where’s there’s one for 50 cents.

No… this might be the last chance we get for tacos.

I need some coffee.

I want tacos.

Five for a buck, that’s like… five hamburgers for a buck.

No… don’t judge a taco by its price. 

15 hours ago, ztejas said:

Agree on barbacoa. But when I saw it was on flour I knew the others probably were, too.

My favorite barbacoa in town is from a truck at the big Sunoco station right next to the FC Austin stadium. I get it on flour because I don't particularly like their corn tortillas. This place also has some of the hottest red sauce I've ever had - like melt your face off and fuck your day up hot - but God damn it's good. It humbles me as I can usually play ball just fine with most of the sauces at the autentico places but this one is different. I don't know if it's a family or regional thing or what. 

name, link, SOMETHING??

4 hours ago, horn4life said:

I love the atmosphere at Matt's, the food is decent but not mind blowing.  I used to go to the original Lupe Tortilla, near the burger place on Hwy 6/ I-10.  I want to say Sam's burgers, but don't think I'm right, it was a small joint with nooks and crannies of antiques upon which to eat. Help me out here West Houston kids??? 

I think Lupe is overpriced, but the Fajitas blow Matt's away.  Past that, they are probably in hand to hand combat quality and consistency wise, depending on which dishes are your particular preference.  I tend to think that Lupe is a hair more consistent, simply from a corporate machine standpoint that Matt's is when the place is packed.  Matt's is also MUCH larger than Lupe Tortilla, so there is that as well. Only reason for me to go to Matt's is to people watch, have a Bob Armstrong, and sit on the patio. 

I don't go to either much anymore, and we not drift mostly to Y mas as for the money it's on point.  The fact I now am smart enough to simply order a side shot of Grand Marnier, makes their ritas more in my flavor profile.  

If I was going to go deep into the Matt's vs Lupe battle I would probably toss Gloria's into that mix.  Since I live NW it's the right combination of overpriced, decent quality, and better grade of people watching, for me to declare Gloria's hands down superior to BOTH Matt's and Lupe Tortilla!!! 😉  

Charlie's hamburgers.. One of my all time favorites in the old house.  Their onion rings were next level.  Great spot with a big yard and creepy house to sit indoors.  Grew up with the owners of Lupe and ate at Charlies way more.  Also, fuck that playground

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Charlie's hamburgers.. One of my all time favorites in the old house.  Their onion rings were next level.  Great spot with a big yard and creepy house to sit indoors.  Grew up with the owners of Lupe and ate at Charlies way more.  Also, fuck that playground

Charlie's!!! Yes! 

My memory is that they were slightly less diligent in their ID verification and that those that altered their licenses were usually good to go.  But yes the onion rings were indeed badass.  Damn good burgers.   Thanks for clarifying my memory, as Sam's was a place in Town and Country that was owned by an ex-UT swimmer, who like me sort of rounded out over the years.   Ahh.... to be young again....

• 1 month later...

Holy shit, yesterday I went to The Oasis after about 20 years of not setting foot there. What a shithole. Shitty overpriced food. It’s like the national convention of fat cholos and cholas was being hosted there.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Holy shit, yesterday I went to The Oasis after about 20 years of not setting foot there. What a shithole. Shitty overpriced food. It’s like the national convention of fat cholos and cholas was being hosted there.

A good buddy spent decades as the pastry/bread guy for Mother's on Duval.  When they shut down, he had to find something, and ended up taking a job at The Oasis.  Man, that's a paradigm shift.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, XYZ said:

That's about how I remember it.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 1:09 PM, XYZ said:

Yeah, but it’s not overrated, because that’s how everybody rates it.

• Haha 3

• 1 year later...
11 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Chuy's deserves strong consideration for most overrated place in town.  It's the same tale as El Arroyo--the food was never great, but now it's gotten downright bad.

Oh, I only had to order some enchiladas there once to know that, but my opinion of their chicken fajitas still stands. 
I do not like their beef fajitas - the best I ever had was some joint in NW Houston about 40 years ago.

38 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Chuy's deserves strong consideration for most overrated place in town.  It's the same tale as El Arroyo--the food was never great, but now it's gotten downright bad.

Man, I haven't been in 11,000 years, but I used to love a chuychanga with the creamy tomatillo sauce, and I could hammer their chips with salsa and the creamy jalapeno sauce/dip.  Is that not still the case?

Chuy's is still a clear cut above El Arroyo, though admittedly that's a low bar.  Their fresh red salsa is still one of my favorites and I'm a salsa snob.  Even a dash of the creamy jalepeno can be good.  Their chips are for shit though.  They're beyond brittle, frequently stuck together, and absolutely murdered in salt.  

They still have a couple entrees I enjoy, though most of the menu is 100% forgettable.  

If the one on Barton Springs wasn't within biking distance for me, I'd probably never go anymore.  But it's there and reliable, and usually good service.  

Going down Barton Springs, how the fuck Baby Acapuco is still in business blows my mind.  That might be the worst Mexican food in Austin and the place is just filthy.  Juliet, after a dozen reboots on pricing, is still not a good value for the money.  Always good eye candy though.  Green Mesquite is another anomaly that should have shut down years ago.  El Alma is one of the more underrated gems in South Austin, IMHO.  I wonder what'll go in at the McDonald's.  

Hit up the campus Taco Shack many times during covid since I could easily order to go at the window.  It was never a superlative taco joint, but the consistency is comforting, the value is great, and great salsa and tortillas.  For a literal tiny shack, they pay attention to the details.  Give it a go for nostalgia next time you're near one at breakfast/lunch time.  

• Like 1

Man, I haven't been in 11,000 years, but I used to love a chuychanga with the creamy tomatillo sauce, and I could hammer their chips with salsa and the creamy jalapeno sauce/dip.  Is that not still the case?

I can't leave the place without feeling like utter dog shit, which I suspect is due to the ludicrous amount of salt in everything.  The jalapeno-ranch dip is tasty, but staying home and eating Herdez Guacamole salsa seems to suit me as well.  That said, I'd tolerate an occasional trip to Chuy's because the Baja tacos were pretty tasty.  But ever since COVID, they've gone with this severely reduced menu, which, as far as I can tell, consists of everything I don't want.  And that doesn't appear to be something that is going to change back.  We live down the street from a Chuy's, and if I have my way, we won't be going back.

• Hook 'Em 1

To me it’s definitely worth going occasionally to get a Texas martini  and hammer the chips dips. The green chile salsa, normal salsa, jalapeño ranch and boom boom sauce are all still really good to get for dipping.  Then just stick with anything with chicken in it and it’s a decent meal. 

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

El patio was horrible

el arroyo on far west had septic issues. It smelled

I’d add Threadgills and Hula Hut to overrated list as well

I can hammer a Jerry's Special at El Patio, which is still open by the way.  That place falls into the "nostalgic, yet not great" category.

9 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

I can hammer a Jerry's Special at El Patio, which is still open by the way.  That place falls into the "nostalgic, yet not great" category.

This is fair. I last went there several years ago and would call it good, not great. Can’t say the same about Matt’s El Rancho.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Well, it’s subjective by nature.

Sure. And also, people are inherently stupid.

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I don’t think Leroy and Lewis is overrated.

I don't either, but I'm sure somebody does.  And that somebody, is probably Futureman.

• Haha 1

I wil chime in on Chuy's simply because damn it they used to be damn good.  Of course this was the early days when the Barton Springs location was basically the kitchen and the hubcap room.  They sponsored our T-shirts for a soccer team (Austin United) and it was important that we went after games at Zilker to help them keep the place open.  Back then their Fajitas, especially chicken really were the bomb.  What was genius and I still miss were the "Banditos" a mixture of cheese and green chile wrapped in a wheat tortilla (might have been rice paper) and deep fried with Jalepeno ranch. That was some good shit.  Of course that was a Looooonnnng time ago.  

Now Chuy's to me is a kid's restaurant, with parents and the unknowing making up most of the crowd.  Sad though because they used to have really good quality control.  But as they expanded... the suckery did too.

I will say the one place I do really miss is old Shady Grove.  I used to have all the recipes, and lost the damn things.  But that Veggie Chili really was the bomb. And Veggie is NOT my usual go to.

• Like 1

Oh and I would like to nominate Bulevar in the old Z-tejas Arboretum location as perhaps the champion of overrated in Austin.   Maybe it's me but when you start getting into the $30+ dollar range on pulled pork pabil,  and Roasted chicken... you start to lose me.  But hey I'm not from Cali....