Touch/touchless kitchen faucets

We are remodeling and putting in a fancy faucet. Moen and Kohler have a line of faucets that have a touchless sensor. Delta has some faucets where you have to touch the surface. Any advantages to these different technologies one way or the other?

Just get a regular mechanical faucet.  Don't fall prey to electronic crap designed to take  place of tried and true mechanical stuff.

Is your wife behind the touch / touchless faucet proposition?  Germs, CV19, Ebola and what not?

• Like 2

While I do understand the convenience of not having to  touch the faucet lever with hands covered in chicken blood from grill prep, or oil from mechanics chores, I also think it's a problem to introduce a computer chip into a simple mechanical device. That said, even "simple" mechanical faucets now contain many plastic parts and are much more complicated than the simple brass worm gear of the past...but that's a subject for the "shit that pisses off old men" thread. There are toe and knee operated levers used in medical settings, but I doubt that would pass the wife's desired design elements and would be considerably more expensive. 

37 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Just get a regular mechanical faucet.  Don't fall prey to electronic crap designed to take  place of tried and true mechanical stuff.

Is your wife behind the touch / touchless faucet proposition?  Germs, CV19, Ebola and what not?

This ^^

I had looked at these before and you still had to use the handle to adjust the temperature and/or water pressure which I pretty much do almost every time I use/turn on the sink water anyway.  Has that changed or do you still have to manually adjust the handle to control these?

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

2 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

eff the luddites.  I like ours.  no real issues other than changing batteries out.  I think we have had it for 4-5 years now.  

the haters probably still type out the 'https://www' part of urls

Yes, I think having to change batteries to get water is a good thing....

We've had a Moen version for about 7 years.  I wasn't particularly sold on it but relented to the wife's requests and I have to say it is great.  Ours is touchless and can be activated in two ways, first by putting your hands or a glass, dish, etc. where you would normally put them to wash hands or fill a glass which will turn the water on for as long as motion is detected in that space.  The second option is to wave your hand over the top of the neck of the faucet which will activate the water for about 10 minutes. Ours is plugged in so no idea about the battery issues others have mentioned. The comments about adjusting temp is valid, but hasn't been that big of an issue in my opinion.  I don't know why anyone would pick the touch version instead of touchless.  If you are going to have to touch it you might as well just push the handle. 

do it jewish GIF

So instead of turning a knob to get water you can reach into your pocket, pull out your phone, open an app, turn on the water, put your phone down, wash your hands, dry your hands, pick up your phone, turn the water off, close the app, and put your phone back in your pocket. What kind of labor saving gizmo will they think of next.

26 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

OK.... HOLDUP!!!  I looked and now there are voice (and app) controlled models... actually pretty damn sweet.

Do I need it... nope. Will I get it just cause... probably

I don't know about the rest of it, but being able to specify a specific temperature would be awesome (assuming it actually works). 

15 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

So instead of turning a knob to get water you can reach into your pocket, pull out your phone, open an app, turn on the water, put your phone down, wash your hands, dry your hands, pick up your phone, turn the water off, close the app, and put your phone back in your pocket. What kind of labor saving gizmo will they think of next.

All about the presets using Alexa, Google, etc.

Baby bottle amount and temp a good example.

Coffee pot to 8 cups.. .etc

Wash hands... comes out at certain temp and volume.. 

Not to mention helping in certain physical handicap situations. 

Is it ground breaking, ehh, but it does finally make it "different" than prior "no" touch where you still had to touch for temp or volume control.

On 6/2/2020 at 1:59 PM, orange dream said:

We've had a Moen version for about 7 years.  I wasn't particularly sold on it but relented to the wife's requests and I have to say it is great.  Ours is touchless and can be activated in two ways, first by putting your hands or a glass, dish, etc. where you would normally put them to wash hands or fill a glass which will turn the water on for as long as motion is detected in that space.  The second option is to wave your hand over the top of the neck of the faucet which will activate the water for about 10 minutes. Ours is plugged in so no idea about the battery issues others have mentioned. The comments about adjusting temp is valid, but hasn't been that big of an issue in my opinion.  I don't know why anyone would pick the touch version instead of touchless.  If you are going to have to touch it you might as well just push the handle. 

do it jewish GIF

Thanks for this, just bought the Arbor Motionsense by Moen with the AC adapter.  Nice to know it's gonna work well.  I would've been perfectly happy with the manual one, but the wife (no pics), who is as old-school as I am, said to go for the touchless and give it a try.  Gonna install it tomorrow with a new Insinkerator Evolution Excel with a sink-top switch.  Not looking forward to rolling around in the cabinet, but definitely looking forward to the new setup.

We have a fancy Kohler I bought on eBay that unexpectedly came with touch and a temperature light. The touch can be handy when washing dishes/cooking if you're trying to conserve water. It took some getting used to. The temperature light is pretty cool because you don't need to use a hand to check the temperature. If I'm holding a kid to wash hands, I can visually tell if the water is too hot, and then if I get a glass of water, I can see immediately when the water has gotten cold.