Trump goes to church

GHOSTUSER

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I guess I don't understand why a thread discussing Trump is in the DT forum

For the same reason the hospital suggested a group home for her daughter after my mother gave birth to a baby girl with Down's Syndrome. 

Certain people thrive in the company of their own kind.  

Edited by Lobo

33 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

He looked like an ape who had found a shiny object holding that bible.  He was simultaneously intrigued and bewildered by this object.  What mysteries does it hold?  But his mind was too feeble to dig any deeper.

News feed from St. Johns...

ko3DkzmKUNre8Uy1BCCoSHZV7yNHo7nHYCl3JjOb

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I respect the office of the Presidency first and foremost. Our President is the personification of this great country and has to have freedom of movement. Look how he weak he would look if he was holed up there during the duration of these protests.

Honest question. What is the issue? Questioning the purpose of his visit? He needs permission from the mob now. Or is it the methods used to disburse which were non-lethal. Because YOU might not agree with the purpose of his visit does not in any way deter from the legitimacy and right he has as the President to address the nation and reassert order. Personally, I think this was stupid of him and it backfired.   

walter GIF

• Like 3

It would require distinguishing those protesting for positive change and those rioting after curfew and bringing about destruction. It’s an election year. Trump’s poll numbers aren’t promising. He thinks by  opening up the 2016 playbook this will work. He reportedly was angry news got out he was in a bunker the previous night so he Made An ill advised (no matter what side you are on) photo op at a historic church while saying virtually nothing. He believes that his base will rally around this. “Shoot those rioting thugs destroying the country!” And some of his base definitely will. But it’s a lot more complicated and nuanced than that. Sometimes you can miss the mark and hit the tree. He missed both yesterday. JMO. 

• Like 1

I think that the church sign out front should just post "Psalm 109" and leave it up there.

Psalm 109

1 My God, whom I praise,
    do not remain silent,
for people who are wicked and deceitful
    have opened their mouths against me;
    they have spoken against me with lying tongues.
3 With words of hatred they surround me;
    they attack me without cause.

4 In return for my friendship they accuse me,
    but I am a man of prayer.
5 They repay me evil for good,
    and hatred for my friendship.

6 Appoint someone evil to oppose my enemy;
    let an accuser stand at his right hand.
7 When he is tried, let him be found guilty,
    and may his prayers condemn him.
8 May his days be few;
    may another take his place of leadership.
9 May his children be fatherless
    and his wife a widow.
10 May his children be wandering beggars;
    may they be driven[a] from their ruined homes.
11 May a creditor seize all he has;
    may strangers plunder the fruits of his labor.
12 May no one extend kindness to him
    or take pity on his fatherless children.
13 May his descendants be cut off,
    their names blotted out from the next generation.
14 May the iniquity of his fathers be remembered before the Lord;
    may the sin of his mother never be blotted out.
15 May their sins always remain before the Lord,
    that he may blot out their name from the earth.

16 For he never thought of doing a kindness,
    but hounded to death the poor
    and the needy and the brokenhearted.
17 He loved to pronounce a curse—
    may it come back on him.
He found no pleasure in blessing—
    may it be far from him.
18 He wore cursing as his garment;
    it entered into his body like water,
    into his bones like oil.

19 May it be like a cloak wrapped about him,
    like a belt tied forever around him.
20 May this be the Lord’s payment to my accusers,
    to those who speak evil of me.

21 But you, Sovereign Lord,
    help me for your name’s sake;
    out of the goodness of your love, deliver me.
22 For I am poor and needy,
    and my heart is wounded within me.
23 I fade away like an evening shadow;
    I am shaken off like a locust.
24 My knees give way from fasting;
    my body is thin and gaunt.
25 I am an object of scorn to my accusers;
    when they see me, they shake their heads.

26 Help me, Lord my God;
    save me according to your unfailing love.
27 Let them know that it is your hand,
    that you, Lord, have done it.
28 While they curse, may you bless;
    may those who attack me be put to shame,
    but may your servant rejoice.
29 May my accusers be clothed with disgrace
    and wrapped in shame as in a cloak.

30 With my mouth I will greatly extol the Lord;
    in the great throng of worshipers I will praise him.
31 For he stands at the right hand of the needy,
    to save their lives from those who would condemn them.

That's some real Old Testament shit right there.  Highlighted portions for this regime in particular.

12 minutes ago, mchookem said:

way to go out on a limb there Ben 🙄

I'm glad he could bounce back to being a civility scold so quickly after embarrassing himself with a high school graduation speech a couple weeks ago. 

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

We will make sure to have the Presidents from now on clear their calendar with you going forward. If his motorcade comes under attack by a horde of protesters it is fascist to clear the way for him. We are under mob rule now. Fuck that. It was not a good look. That's my piece.

LOL

This is what we used to do as kids. Purposely bumping into other people and then say "why are you bumping into me?" Its basically another version of "stop hitting yourself". In other words its childish behavior.

Something tells me you were outraged with Bill Clinton getting that haircut that lead to mass chaos at LAX when he was President.

3 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Right such as the fact that the crowd was ordered to disperse to comply with the curfew. The order was ignored. Watching CNN last night there was not a mention of this in order to try to frame things as an unprovoked, unannounced violent crowd dispersal.

"As Mr. Trump delivered a speech in the Rose Garden vowing to send the military to states where governors could not bring rioting under control but calling himself “an ally of all peaceful protesters,” the sound of explosions and the yells of demonstrators could be heard. After receiving repeated warnings to disperse before the city’s curfew, the crowd was tear-gassed."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/01/us/politics/trump-st-johns-church-bible.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

I am not surprised but disappointed in the Bishop of DC's comments. It is what I have come to expect from our church leadership. At least our Presiding Bishop was less inflammatory in his denunciation. It would be nice if the Episcopal Church leadership would realize that being partisan has driven away lots of people from our church. I stick around because I love the liturgy and don't want my faith to be comfortable to me. I want to have my beliefs challenged and my heart softened and changed.  I have to battle my biases, upbringing and sick mind. 

moved to new thread by Blacklab as it's clogging up the main thread

Negged. I was watching CNN and they repeatedly noted that there were "three very quick warnings" before the attack. 

Your hearing needs to be checked out. 

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I thought if you posted in the CR you can’t find a way out. 

Many of us have eventually found a way out. Can’t say the same for those lost in South Austin’s moms vagina.

13 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Negged. I was watching CNN and they repeatedly noted that there were "three very quick warnings" before the attack. 

Your hearing needs to be checked out. 

And more importantly, quick warnings to do what? They weren’t in violation of curfew and weren’t breaking any laws. So what exactly did the police even have reason to warn them for. The police should have been standing in silence until 7pm

So, if we're going with Trump appearing at churches, which last I heard, are homes of theology and faith and shit like that, maybe he'd like to come back to St. Johns, and lead the nation in a recitation of the Belhar Confession -- which was born under the yoke of South African apartheid, and has been adopted by numerous denominations.  I think he should lead us in reciting Article 4, in particular:

4. We believe

that God has revealed himself as the one who wishes to bring about justice and true peace among people;

that God, in a world full of injustice and enmity, is in a special way the God of the destitute, the poor and the wronged;

that God calls the church to follow him in this, for God brings justice to the oppressed and gives bread to the hungry;

that God frees the prisoner and restores sight to the blind;

that God supports the downtrodden, protects the stranger, helps orphans and widows and blocks the path of the ungodly;

that for God pure and undefiled religion is to visit the orphans and the widows in their suffering;

that God wishes to teach the church to do what is good and to seek the right (Deut. 32:4; Luke 2:14; John 14:27; Eph. 2:14; Isa. 1:16-17; James 1:27; James 5:1-6; Luke 1:46-55; Luke 6:20-26; Luke 7:22; Luke 16:19-31; Ps. 146; Luke 4:16-19; Rom. 6:13-18; Amos 5);

that the church must therefore stand by people in any form of suffering and need, which implies, among other things, that the church must witness against and strive against any form of injustice, so that justice may roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream;

that the church as the possession of God must stand where the Lord stands, namely against injustice and with the wronged; that in following Christ the church must witness against all the powerful and privileged who selfishly seek their own interests and thus control and harm others.

Therefore, we reject any ideology

which would legitimate forms of injustice and any doctrine which is unwilling to resist such an ideology in the name of the gospel.

Amen.

Wadda ya say, Donnie boy?   Do you REALLY wanna get your Christianity on?  Then let's do this.....

7 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Many of us have eventually found a way out. Can’t say the same for those lost in South Austin’s moms vagina.

Good to know.

So, for some, the CR is a weaponized vagina from which they can’t escape? 

Edited by Nicole44

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

And more importantly, quick warnings to do what? They weren’t in violation of curfew and weren’t breaking any laws. So what exactly did the police even have reason to warn them for. The police should have been standing in silence until 7pm

Oh yeah also meant to point out iconofag was lying about the crowd being in violation of curfew. 

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Of course Icono supported tear gassing clergy and criticized them for not thanking Trump and asking "please sir, can I have some more?" Of course he fucking did. 

Well this is the same guy who jerks off to the idea of shooting immigrants at the border.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Did anyone think of El Guapo when Trump said "it's a Bible". 

Forgive me, President Trump. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education. But could it be that once again, you are angry at something else, and are looking to take it out on me?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

People can be on either side of the riot vs. protest debate, within a certain level of reasonable understanding. I can even understand (to a degree) the folks who are perfectly fine using pro-active force to clear streets because there have been  days of riots and at some level the rubber meets the road. That isn't personally my belief, but I can see where others might believe that. Lots of governors and mayors have set bad curfew times, and haven't been perfectly clear in responsible ways to communicate to the protesters what is going to happen and when. Fine. 

But this shit yesterday is indefensible and beyond the pale, and people like Icono are just willful wrongheaded fascists reveling in shows of power and strength because they're sick people (his words, not mine). The protesters were peaceful. They were asked to move, despite it being nowhere near curfew, despite being peaceful, and when they didn't disperse they were gassed and peppered with concussion grenades. That's bullshit, it's a breach of the constitution. But what is really indefensible, and what even Icono and like minded folks can't gloss over, much less address with their "but but it was violent yesterday" prattling bullshit is that all of this was done so the President could could walk across the street for a photo op. And an insincere one at that. THE REASONS AND CHOICES THAT LED TO THIS EVENT MATTER. It wasn't dispersing a violent crowd. It wasn't to get to a trapped person in need of help. It was for a fucking picture. The motivation for the incident is 50x more heinous than the action itself, and the action is pretty fucking deplorable. 

I don't care what side of the political spectrum you tilt towards, the man gassed and forcibly removed demonstrators for a completely unnecessary photo op. That was his choice. He chose to do that to US citizens to sate whatever need he felt he had to walk across the street and take a picture at a church. He could have waited a day, and given more notice. He didn't even call the people at the church. If it was prayer he could have chosen a different venue. If it was some display, as president, there are thousands of other photo ops he could have constructed and executed on that didn't involve terrorizing his own citizens who are flexing their constitutional rights. So many other choices or opportunities, and he chose to attack his own citizens. That isn't leadership. And honestly, thats not what America needs. It needs common ground and respect and healing, and compromise, and that is the epitome of non compromise. That is brute force to get what you want. It's against everything that a democratic republic is supposed to be, and it just galvanizes folks on both sides into a negative collision course. This isn't how we should treat people, period, and the leader of our country providing an example of choosing to embrace violence as opposed to try and de-escalate is just keeping people in their own foxholes and helps fix nothing in this country. 

If two cars were blocking a street would you ram them with your car, because they're in your way, or would you find another route? If you rammed them, do you reasonably think you wouldn't be the one arrested? Would you treat your neighbor this way? I assume the answer is no, but if the answer is Yes, then I hope you never have a neighbor like you. We need to do better as people. We have to. And we need to look to ourselves to be the example because none of our political leaders are clearly setting one themselves. Just be nice to each other. 

You know what man, you're right.

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

Yeah because firing tear gas and rubber bullets at peaceful protesters is totally not police brutality and literal assaults on the right to peaceful assembly. 

I'm not sure why you felt like you needed to respond to my post.  It's rather confusing to be honest.

29 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

So Bunkerboy also went to the JP2 shrine today for a pic. 

Got blasted by the archbishop. 

Trump posing in front of an Episcopalian church and Catholic shrine for photo ops while the clergy keep telling him to GTFO. He really doesn't seem to understand how this whole thing works.

His base considers these sects to be fake Christians and he needs to head to Dallas to hang out in front of an American Jesus church with Jeffress. If his staff doesn't understand this then the general rule of thumb should be avoid any church with Social Justice doctrines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Honest question. What is the issue? Questioning the purpose of his visit? He needs permission from the mob now. Or is it the methods used to disburse which were non-lethal. Because YOU might not agree with the purpose of his visit does not in any way deter from the legitimacy and right he has as the President to address the nation and reassert order. Personally, I think this was stupid of him and it backfired.   

Here's your answer;

Some saw a man take a staged photo outside a building he has rarely set foot in and think he was brave.

Some saw Americans have their Constitutional rights trampled on and think those are the actions of a tyrant.

I'm perfectly happy being in the second group.

• Like 2

Again, any of you responding to Icono should save your breath. blacklab moved this so Icono can stay in his safe space on DT and be as political as he wants to be without any pushback. The space where all the usual right wing posters who used to be here hang out and pos rep each other. The same thing they accuse the lefties of doing here. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

I'm not sure why you felt like you needed to respond to my post.  It's rather confusing to be honest.

Because the thread these posts were moved from were about police brutality. This (blacklab edition) thread is about police brutality, and the protesters were demonstrating in response to the killing of George Floyd. So I'm saying it's fucking absurd to break this topic off the main discussion just because it ended with the president in front of a church holding up a bible.

The topic isn't that he stood in front of a church with a bible. The topic is that thousands of lawful peaceful protesters had their rights violated via police brutality.

Which is pretty fucking on-theme for the original police brutality thread.

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Because the thread these posts were moved from were about police brutality. This (blacklab edition) thread is about police brutality, and the protesters were demonstrating in response to the killing of George Floyd. So I'm saying it's fucking absurd to break this topic off the main discussion just because it ended with the president in front of a church holding up a bible.

The topic isn't that he stood in front of a church with a bible. The topic is that thousands of lawful peaceful protesters had their rights violated via police brutality.

Which is pretty fucking on-theme for the original police brutality thread.

Yeah, again, this is not my site and I don’t make the rules.  I was answering a question and then for some reason you decided to respond.  If you don’t like this site, feel free to leave.  I’ve seen enough of your inane posts to realize that I don’t need to see any more.

1 minute ago, Fondren & Main said:

Yeah, again, this is not my site and I don’t make the rules.  I was answering a question and then for some reason you decided to respond.  If you don’t like this site, feel free to leave.  I’ve seen enough of your inane posts to realize that I don’t need to see any more.

Ok boomer

5 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Right such as the fact that the crowd was ordered to disperse to comply with the curfew. The order was ignored. Watching CNN last night there was not a mention of this in order to try to frame things as an unprovoked, unannounced violent crowd dispersal.

"As Mr. Trump delivered a speech in the Rose Garden vowing to send the military to states where governors could not bring rioting under control but calling himself “an ally of all peaceful protesters,” the sound of explosions and the yells of demonstrators could be heard. After receiving repeated warnings to disperse before the city’s curfew, the crowd was tear-gassed."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/01/us/politics/trump-st-johns-church-bible.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

I am not surprised but disappointed in the Bishop of DC's comments. It is what I have come to expect from our church leadership. At least our Presiding Bishop was less inflammatory in his denunciation. It would be nice if the Episcopal Church leadership would realize that being partisan has driven away lots of people from our church. I stick around because I love the liturgy and don't want my faith to be comfortable to me. I want to have my beliefs challenged and my heart softened and changed.  I have to battle my biases, upbringing and sick mind. 

moved to new thread by Blacklab as it's clogging up the main thread

As a Christian I feel obliged to tell you to go fuck yourself. You are beyond help. 

• Like 2

Again, any of you responding to Icono should save your breath. blacklab moved this so Icono can stay in his safe space on DT and be as political as he wants to be without any pushback. The space where all the usual right wing posters who used to be here hang out and pos rep each other. The same thing they accuse the lefties of doing here. 
But there totally aren't any political posts at all in DT!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

who didn't bother to say a single word of prayer or spiritual significance for anyone, much less the nation he purportedly leads.

I didn't listen to what he said because I've never listened to what he said, but this made me curious.  Wait, he didn't say a prayer or something spiritual or something?  What exactly did he say?  So I google "St. John's transcript" and the like to see what comes up.  Nothing.  Weird.  Surely someone typed up his words.  Some analysis is out about what it means for [whatever policy he wanted to address].  Why can't I find anything?

Pull the video from C-Span.  I couldn't believe it.  You guys were being literal.  He just went for a photo and came back.  Two sentences.  30 seconds.  "You live in the greatest country in the world.  We're going to keep you very safe."  Bible prop. Church prop.  That's all.

It's amazing that this still amazes me, I guess.