preference on Daily Texan moderation

Daily Texan Moderation  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer the moderation of the daily texan to be

• Like it is now with the moderators trying to keep political talk out
    • allow political talk

17 minutes ago, B00M said:

If you want to allow open politics here without shame, just move all the topics to CR and delete this subforum.

I think DT as-is adds value though, so I hope you don't do that.

Not sure why you'd do that. I think the best solution would be to have a CR thread that everyone can debate policy and projections and all of that, and another that was purely for information and discussion thereof with legitimate, zero tolerance moderation of political posts, including those that are just a bunch of thinly veiled cable news codewords that are obvious bait.

There's only a few topics that come around to the DT that end up political. Just move those to the CR. No need to do away with this board. Make a matching DT thread if necessary but truly make it zero politics. Like actual zero, not what we got with the DT Covid thread which is a handful of posters tap dancing as close to the edge of political as possible whilst holding their arms in the air saying "NO POLITICS GO BACK TO THE CR!". 

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

You just made a pretty blatant CR post in the protest thread. What irks me is hypocrisy of complaining about Cloak Roomers when posters just go about dropping political shit while pretending they're not.

If you, all of you, really want to keep politics out of the Daily Texan, stop making political posts - no matter how sly you think you're being.

right on cue, whaambulance.  did I say the bullhorn-ers were of one political side?  I said blacklab can run the board/restaurant how he sees fit.

34 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Do you enjoy reading shit like this?

• Why do y’all argue with that meth headed fascist?
  • You are a dumbass
  • Bro do you even orange man bad?
  • List the virtues of Jesus Christ’s teachings that Donald Trump embodies....
  • Yeah says the party of civil war cosplayers when they can’t get their hair cut 
  • Yeah, says the party of actually burning shit down.
  • Says the party that embraces white supremacists and turn a blind eye to their instigation 

Certain people were allowed to go buckwild on the DT COVID thread and trash other posters at will for a long time and nothing was ever done about it so it seems weird to be all up in arms about personal attacks now. 

As far as the partisan stuff goes, it was entirely possible to discuss peaceful protesters in DC getting lit up before curfew without bringing up Trump.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I suppose there are many topics that are inherently political. Perhaps a better term would be partisan.

Please keep the partisan bullshit in the CR. It is a beating, as anytime a cloak roomer crosses that line in DT, his or her opposite-minded counterpart shows up to point out what a piece of shit that cloak roomer is, and how much like Hitler he or she is, and then the original cloak roomer's buddies come to his or her defense to declare what a piece of shit the other person is and how they are the ones like Hitler, yada yada yada.

And if the poo flinging weren't enough, the cloak roomers whine all the fucking time. Too many of them feel like what they believe, what they have to say is SO important, that it MUST BE SEEN AND READ by all of Surly.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but for too many cloak roomers, this seems to be the norm.

This is the correct answer. It's not politics per se, but the blind partisanship that needs to stay in the CR. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

right on cue, whaambulance.  did I say the bullhorn-ers were of one political side?  I said blacklab can run the board/restaurant how he sees fit.

Edit: NM. Misread your post.

Edited by bolverk

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

In spite of however many dozens of posts you have in the no politics Covid thread, are you actually pretending the complaints about politics came from a single side? You either have amnesia or you're lying.

are you fucking dense?  Blacklab said how would you like it if a bunch of people with bullhorns came into a nice restaurant and start blaring about politics.  I said I would expect the owners of the restaurant to decide whether to kick someone out.  meaning blacklab can do what he wants its HIS board. I have never reported or complained about one single post or poster to a moderator ever.  you? 

Edited by dcar00

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

You just made a pretty blatant CR post in the protest thread. What irks me is hypocrisy of complaining about Cloak Roomers when posters just go about dropping political shit while pretending they're not.

If you, all of you, really want to keep politics out of the Daily Texan, stop making political posts - no matter how sly you think you're being.

I read that particular post and it doesn’t even register as slightly political to me. I’m sure his posting history or the specific topic register it that way to you, but I saw your post and had to do a double take because I just read right by it initially. I think just because someone quotes a political source, uses some jargon that only the overly political people recognize, etc. doesn’t necessarily make it a CR’d political post.

2 minutes ago, Brew said:

I read that particular post and it doesn’t even register as slightly political to me. I’m sure his posting history or the specific topic register it that way to you, but I saw your post and had to do a double take because I just read right by it initially. I think just because someone quotes a political source, uses some jargon that only the overly political people recognize, etc. doesn’t necessarily make it a CR’d political post.

Maybe you didn't recognize it, but he knew exactly what he was doing. Just see is reaction to my pointing it out.

• Like 1

I think MK, BamaChick, Hugo, and that pederast Bad Teammate need a Agnor-style blessing. 
Why?

I dont agree politically with much of what they say but MK and bamachick atleast bring value to other sub discussion.

I stop visiting the cr, I basically have and now I sleep better at night. (Though that may be because of bourbon..)
  • Like 1

A thread on current events where opinions are not allowed is kind of boring and meaningless.  Opinions on current events necessarily will contain some elements of a political nature.  However, it seems opinions that contain some elements of a political nature cannot get expressed with resorting to juvenile name calling which then results in responses that are nothing more than name calling. The end result is a thread which goes on for pages of nothing except two juvenile posters calling each other names. I'm of the opinion that all threads of a non-sports or UT nature that don't contain pictures of tits and ass, tales of sexual escapades, aggy or sooner derision, humorous photoshops or paint pictures, or recipes should be immediately deleted.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

A thread on current events where opinions are not allowed is kind of boring and meaningless.  Opinions on current events necessarily will contain some elements of a political nature.  However, it seems opinions that contain some elements of a political nature cannot get expressed with resorting to juvenile name calling which then results in responses that are nothing more than name calling. The end result is a thread which goes on for pages of nothing except two juvenile posters calling each other names. I'm of the opinion that all threads of a non-sports or UT nature that don't contain pictures of tits and ass, tales of sexual escapades, aggy or sooner derision, humorous photoshops or paint pictures, or recipes should be immediately deleted.

You’re a towel!

45 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Maybe you didn't recognize it, but he knew exactly what he was doing. Just see is reaction to my pointing it out.

I really don't care about you pointing my posts out.  Its your continued vagina rubbing that is so off putting and beneath you.  you already had to admit you misread my other post on this thread.  we need to get you a jump to conclusions mat.

blacklab can do what he wants.

On both the COVID thread and the riot thread it is next to impossible to not have some type of political talk. They are completely intertwined. Trying to moderate it with a broad brush is an exercise in futility. My vote is allow some political talk in both threads and only moderate the most egregious posts. So option C.

Edit: With the caveat that when any 2 posters have a cripple fight with one another to ban them both for 3 days. I think that is the only thing that is tough to read through, when you see 2 posters go back and forth with each other on some random political tangent for like an entire page. That is what is annoying to me.

Edited by UTGrad98
pussy fights

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I appreciate the effort but without clearly defining what “political talk” is, this poll isn’t exactly informative.  

Brisket’s thread on reforming police is by definition a political discussion because it takes political will to accomplish any kind of meaningful reform in almost every aspect of society.  Discussions on anything to do with the powers of the state are highly political. 

I think the problem is when people start with a us vs them starting point in the CR way. r v d. If something can talk just of reform or anything above that culture war then its fine in my book. fine lines, yes i know

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I appreciate the effort but without clearly defining what “political talk” is, this poll isn’t exactly informative.  

Brisket’s thread on reforming police is by definition a political discussion because it takes political will to accomplish any kind of meaningful reform in almost every aspect of society.  Discussions on anything to do with the powers of the state are highly political. 

49965717102_3bebd9f7b2_n.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

By political, he means you. Is that specific enough for you, asshole?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

So in this case the board is the restaurant and the posters on this board are the ones assaulting you? I mean what exactly is this forum for if not discussion? Should we moderate all discussion everywhere, if someone doesn't like a movie can that person be banned from the thread discussing said movie? Can a Sooner ask that people stop saying OU sucks on the football board?

Are you just pretending that you don't understand Bob's point? Because it's very fucking clear and accurate.

• Like 1

Do you enjoy reading shit like this?
  • Why do y’all argue with that meth headed fascist?
  • You are a dumbass
  • Bro do you even orange man bad?
  • List the virtues of Jesus Christ’s teachings that Donald Trump embodies....
  • Yeah says the party of civil war cosplayers when they can’t get their hair cut 
  • Yeah, says the party of actually burning shit down.
  • Says the party that embraces white supremacists and turn a blind eye to their instigation 
You forgot

Next? (With pic attached)

1 hour ago, staboner said:

I think the problem is when people start with a us vs them starting point in the CR way. r v d. If something can talk just of reform or anything above that culture war then its fine in my book. fine lines, yes i know

That would be great if such discussions could happen. My biggest issue with the CR style posting bleeding over into DT is the absolute insistence that someone knows what your beliefs are and tries to continuously make their point over and over to “prove they are right” about your opinion. In the CR it’s obvious what side you are on if you post there frequently. Obvious. Saying you aren’t with the looters is a perfect example:

1. As soon as the looting and real destructive stuff started and some posted that it was counterproductive and not a good thing: “Y’all are pearl clutchers! Let it burn! It deserves to burn! Fuck the police! You don’t care about what is happening now! It’s just property and is insured. Fucking whiners!”

2. After several days of rioting and looting: “Its from out of town. Out of state. (It looks bad now for those legit protesting so we must figure out how to blame this on something else). These people aren’t thugs! They are disenfranchised and being taken advantage of by the system. Fuck all of you still mentioning the riots!”

3. more days of riots and looting (now people have been injured and killed as we are seeing now) “stay home! Abide by the curfew so we can separate between the anarchists/ instigators and the protestors. These people aren’t thugs it is the people posting here who don’t fucking get it.” Even though many have said they understand why it’s happening they are told they do not. Will never understand. 

4. More riots and looting and destruction: “where are the police? Fuck them! But why aren’t they arresting people? Abide by the curfew. Those thugs aren’t protestors!”

so it went from explaining why the riots and looting happened  and they aren’t thugs and basically telling anyone who disagreed that riots and looting sucks are assholes to now riots solve nothing. It went from those people aren’t thugs to now they are thugs and where are the police? 

it helps me to read to sleep at night because like a lot of people I have a lot on my angst. Lots of regrets and lots of frustration. If you read back through the Minneapolis thread it’s pretty enlightening. 

if you can follow that. Points! For you! That was like my fifth draft of that shit over two days and I gave up. It’s obvious. 

• Like 7