preference on Daily Texan moderation

Daily Texan Moderation  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer the moderation of the daily texan to be

• Like it is now with the moderators trying to keep political talk out
    • allow political talk

It depends on what the definition of the word politics is. The no politics rule (which I’m happy with) is an exercise in bias. We all tend to see the politics in things we don’t agree with and look past those that we do. Many of the most persistent “no politics” folks infuse their posts with lots of politics.

As it currently stands in the COVID and Minneapolis threads, the CR versions are all Trump hate all the time, with the occasional asinine and trollish right wing pushback (this isn’t necessarily a comment on the intellectual rigor of a hypothetical pro-Trump position, just a commentary on the actual quality of right-leaning posts in the CR), while the DT threads rotate between reasonable information, thoughtful discussion (reflecting a variety of political and apolitical perspectives), and the right wing mirror of the CR threads (although less obnoxiously partisan than the CR counterparts, but still highly partisan). Occasionally it boils over into something truly special like last night.

This of course means we get the worst of both worlds. The news thread is at times worthless (either full on poo flinging or a constant burn of its mirror image in the CR) while the CR thread isn’t enlightening either. You have two competing echo chambers that occasionally take pot-shots at each other. Neither thread accomplished its purpose. We get angrier at each other without being challenged in any meaningful way. It’s a perfect mirror of the times.

It’s possible to discuss politically charged events without being intolerable or even partisan. Presumably educated and thoughtful people should be able to walk this line, even the most partisan among us should be able to do so, but yet here we are.

• Like 2

I’ve never seen a good off topic board that doesn’t limit political talk to one sub forum. When I have seen integration tried, it always makes the news/current events board worse.

Edit: By political talk I mean partisan mudslinging. If we were smarter, we could mention harmless, factual policy centric stuff without it going that way. Alas, we are not.

Edited by VolenteHawk

13 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Brisket’s thread on reforming police is by definition a political discussion because it takes political will to accomplish any kind of meaningful reform in almost every aspect of society.  Discussions on anything to do with the powers of the state are highly political. 

Brisket's thread is distinctly non-partisan.  That's also why it worked as a discussion.

• Like 1

I always thought the DT forum as a descendent of Quack's and Bada Bing. I suppose it isn't. Maybe the hybrid forum floated as a possible peaceful resolution can be named the Bing Quacks

Everything is political, but that is only one facet of an idea.

As stated above, the backward looking hatefest is what we all want to avoid. That is toxic - inside or outside a political board.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

How about a thread for the 125mm American Adults who didn't vote for Clinton or Trump...you know, the smart ones?  Can we have a safe space?

Near as I can tell, capitalism is to blame for all of this on the CR.  

And according to DT, China and Black People are to blame.  Leroy Wang, you have been suspended! 

I don't understand how you can discuss the nation's response to the Covid-19 virus without mentioning the names/executive actions of elected officials (governors and POTUS), but I guess we're gonna fucking try.  And yes, most CR threads turn into circle-jerks.  

That aside, I think one good example of a topical thread on DT where we also discuss politics (a lot) but things stayed fact-based and on point, was the Homeless in Austin thread (and to an extend, the one about city government being insane).  We brought up all manner of policies at the local and state levels, talked at length about a number of elected officials, and berated both political parties to an extent.  Nobody ever really seemed to get butt hurt about any of it.  

I hope we can make this work because we need to have adult discussions.  Not to get too heavy, but if a board of a couple thousand highly-educated and influential adults can't have these responsible and topical discussions about these serious issues...I can only imagine how fucked up it is out there in low-educated America.  Whenever I think it's getting bad on here, or I get suspended ;), I spend 10 minutes perusing the comments sections on youtube or some popular tweet, and I realize we've got it good on here.  It's mostly one well-meaning and smart Texan yelling at another well-meaning and smart Texan.  Then I go and read what the rest of the country has to say to one another, and holy fucking shit.  In a nation of cunts, Surly hits the G-spot. 

9 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

My biggest issue with the CR style posting bleeding over into DT is the absolute insistence that someone knows what your beliefs are and tries to continuously make their point over and over to “prove they are right” about your opinion

We call this "CaptainAnt'd"

Edited by Cheeseweasel
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

Brisket's thread is distinctly non-partisan.  That's also why it worked as a discussion.

If I started that thread it would be moved to CR and/or I’d be banned.  Don’t kid yourself, Brisket gets away with it because he’s Brisket, and that’s fine.  

55 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If I started that thread it would be moved to CR and/or I’d be banned.  Don’t kid yourself, Brisket gets away with it because he’s Brisket, and that’s fine.  

It isn’t about you.  

The non-partisan qualities are what drives it as a constructive discussion.  Not sure why that bothers you.

Fuck's sake, anyone - and I mean anyone - who complains about politics showing up in a thread about police is either stupid or agenda-driven. There is no separation between the two.

If that stupidity or agenda means a thread needs to be moved, then fucking move it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iceman said:

It isn’t about you.  

The non-partisan qualities are what drives it as a constructive discussion.  Not sure why that bothers you.

With some posters it is about him, but since he's one of the most outspoken cloakers, I think that's arguably ok too. You can't expect everyone to forget their grudges just because they're in a different sub. Hugo - just use one of your socks in DT.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Brisket gets away with it because he makes cogent, well thought out points that arent obvious troll jobs.  Unlike others.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Fuck's sake, anyone - and I mean anyone - who complains about politics showing up in a thread about police is either stupid or agenda-driven. There is no separation between the two.

You're missing the point. Saying "we need systematic change to assure the police are held accountable" isn't the issue.

Saying "Fucking trump is a fucking nazi who wants this to happen" or "Why didn't fucking Obama fix this shit in the 8 years he had?" IS THE ISSUE

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

You're missing the point. Saying "we need systematic change to assure the police are held accountable" isn't the issue.

Saying "Fucking trump is a fucking nazi who wants this to happen" or "Why didn't fucking Obama fix this shit in the 8 years he had?" IS THE ISSUE

You're confusing politics with meta-politics. 

...and you failed to capitalize Trump.

27 minutes ago, elfenix said:

there's a bunch of people who piss down their leg any time they see a hugo post outside of CR.  yes, it is about him. 

I'm on the record multiple times as being one who doesn't have a problem with Hugo.  I still feel that way.  Of my points of contention with CR, he ain't one of em.

That being said, maybe he could work to change the perception of his posting style.  I stand by why the "Fix the Police" thread worked.  It wasn't name calling or shitting on the other team.  It is a genuine discussion about solving for a real problem.  The politics behind the issue affects all of us and is hardly limited to a certain party or area of the country.

17 hours ago, blacklab said:

I knew someone would complain about the wording of the poll, and I knew which way they were going to vote

examples of current events I consider ok:

• Protesters were moved out of the way for the president to move
  • The president had a photo op at the church

actual examples of political talk from last night discussing the same event:

• Why do y’all argue with that meth headed fascist?
  • You are a dumbass
  • Bro do you even orange man bad?
  • List the virtues of Jesus Christ’s teachings that Donald Trump embodies....
  • Yeah says the party of civil war cosplayers when they can’t get their hair cut 
  • Yeah, says the party of actually burning shit down.
  • Says the party that embraces white supremacists and turn a blind eye to their instigation 

This seems like a fair split. But even the first too, the snowflakes will still "aaaaagh CR motha fucka AAAAAAHHHH!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

we should make a safe space political forum for the people who won't venture into CR but won't stfu about it and talk about politics with a wink and nod everywhere else

Good idea, but how would you go about keeping the loonies from overrunning it?

18 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I think MK, BamaChick, Hugo, and that pederast Bad Teammate need a Agnor-style blessing. 

And there's a shitload of folks here who think the same about you after your DT posts.

But they disagree with you, and your view is the only proper one, right?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bolverk said:

You just made a pretty blatant CR post in the protest thread. What irks me is hypocrisy of complaining about Cloak Roomers when posters just go about dropping political shit while pretending they're not.

If you, all of you, really want to keep politics out of the Daily Texan, stop making political posts - no matter how sly you think you're being.

I think I've said this before, but there was this big pop band, the Beagles...no, it was a bird name, the Falcons...No, no, no, The Eagles I think.  They had a huge hit about a motel in California where you couldn't check out.  I don't remember the problem, maybe their computer wasn't working and couldn't check out people.  Oh wait, maybe it was that they couldn't leave.  I dunno why they couldn't leave, maybe they had those anti-backup spikes installed the wrong way, so you could drive in, but couldn't drive out.

Anyways, one of the lead singers/songwriters, Glen Fry I think was his name, he kept getting into conflicts with band members and having them fired because he thought they were talentless and assholes.  Everywhere he looked, there were assholes, to the point where he himself ultimately left to form his own band/solo act, so that he wouldn't be surrounded by assholes.  But then, you go out and read what actual contemporaries had to say about those band members he had fired, and you find out that A) They were pretty nice people that he walked all over and B) They were actually very talented, which was why they were hired in the first place.

This Glen Fry guy, everywhere he looked there were assholes, and all the while, he never realized that if you are surrounded by assholes, maybe your the assholes.

And it's like the people you are talking about bolverk - they keep seeing CR posts every where they look, all the while not realizing they are injecting politics into everything because they are seeing everything slanted a certain way.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Continental Op said:

Certain people were allowed to go buckwild on the DT COVID thread and trash other posters at will for a long time and nothing was ever done about it so it seems weird to be all up in arms about personal attacks now. 

As far as the partisan stuff goes, it was entirely possible to discuss peaceful protesters in DC getting lit up before curfew without bringing up Trump.  

I think ChiTownDoc silenced a bunch of those folks that were going crazy in the COVID thread.  And by silenced, I mean he ripped them open.  Not in a nice surgically precise way either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest Lobo

Yeah, but ChiTownDoc was getting all condescending with his science 'n shit.  That thread literally got polarized over basic physics.  

particles come out of your mouth, float into the air, and then fall to the ground.  

Learn any Basic Physics?  Nah, not my fucking University!  UT ain't no queer science school!

10 hours ago, Mole said:

This of course means we get the worst of both worlds. The news thread is at times worthless (either full on poo flinging or a constant burn of its mirror image in the CR) while the CR thread isn’t enlightening either. You have two competing echo chambers that occasionally take pot-shots at each other. Neither thread accomplished its purpose. We get angrier at each other without being challenged in any meaningful way. It’s a perfect mirror of the times.

It’s possible to discuss politically charged events without being intolerable or even partisan. Presumably educated and thoughtful people should be able to walk this line, even the most partisan among us should be able to do so, but yet here we are.

The solution is to put those folks on a timeout from posting.  I don't mean where a mod has to approve their posts for a couple of weeks.  I mean they don't get to post, anywhere, period.  24 hours, 48 hours, a week, a month, then permaban.

People will get the point really fucking fast if they can't post at all.  Either they will self-moderate after that, or will leave.

• Like 1

I go to CR every now and then to see the loons on both sides.  I don't social media much.

I come to DT for news and people talking non politically about it.

Once I see the CR people going at it, I try to scroll down to the next article/pic/Twitter someone posted and go from there.

No one wants to see your feud, calling each other names, etc.., if you have an issue with what a poster said, be an Adult, take it to Private Messages and try to have a civil debate there,

DT used to be a place I could find late breaking news, before I saw it elsewhere, without having to weed through personal and political attacks.

Edited by BNB
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The solution is to put those folks on a timeout from posting.  I don't mean where a mod has to approve their posts for a couple of weeks.  I mean they don't get to post, anywhere, period.  24 hours, 48 hours, a week, a month, then permaban.

People will get the point really fucking fast if they can't post at all.  Either they will self-moderate after that, or will leave.

if you eliminated or neutered rep in CR (which may not be possible, I don't know the software) it would also eliminate the only semi-valid excuse for CRing other forums. Constantly talking about the liberal fruitcakes in CR and how at least over here we're all big bootstrapping self reliant blah blah blah = talking about politics. If you want to talk about that shit do it in there.

3 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Or "Fuck China" over and over and over and over and over again.  amirite?

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2