Daily Texan Moderation  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer the moderation of the daily texan to be

• Like it is now with the moderators trying to keep political talk out
    • allow political talk

Guest Lobo
Just now, atomheartbevo said:

So you have Big Dick Energy?

I'm barely at 7 inches, so it's not something I'm all that proud of.

Then, how do you measure yourself with other assholes?  

so what happens when hugo posts a tweet in the covid thread showing month-on-month data for covid deaths/cases and there are several posts telling him to fuck off back to cloak room? that's just as big a part of the problem. 

another part of the problem is that we've been around as a community long enough to know mostly where each other are coming from on a political level.

so hugo's factual post is interpreted as political, because he must have some sly motivation in posting those uncomfortable statistics. 

my response is: so the fuck what if he's being sly? is he posting factual information? yes? then why the inevitable pile on? who is actually being political in that exchange?

• Like 5

Guest Lobo
Just now, bolverk said:

I don't think anyone on this board is intelligent enough to be called "AI," so my guess is no.

That's precisely what a Russian robot would say.  

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

so hugo's factual post is interpreted as political

They're interpreted as political because everything he posts is political.  Nor is there any measure of context from a man who has seemingly dedicated a significant portion of his time and effort to decry every step from seemingly anyone that sits on the other side of the political isle.  He's about as non-partisan as Hannity of Maddow and in the CR cries with many others  about the blood in this administration's hands...then 'causally' posts body counts in the DT?  Ok....

Let's look at it another way:  these are the deadly use of force numbers from 2018 Police shootings.  Are they factual?  Yes.  Do they tell the whole story.  Fuck no.....

• White –456 (45.69%)
  • Black –229 (22.95%)
  • Hispanic –165 (16.5%)
  • Other –41 (4.1%)
  • Unknown –107 (10.72%)
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

They're interpreted as political because everything he posts is political.  Nor is there any measure of context from a man who has seemingly dedicated a significant portion of his time and effort to decry every step from seemingly anyone that sits on the other side of the political isle.  He's about as non-partisan as Hannity of Maddow and in the CR cries with many others  about the blood in this administration's hands...then 'causally' posts body counts in the DT?  Ok....

Let's look at it another way:  these are the deadly use of force numbers from 2018 Police shootings.  Are they factual?  Yes.  Do they tell the whole story.  Fuck no.....

• White –456 (45.69%)
  • Black –229 (22.95%)
  • Hispanic –165 (16.5%)
  • Other –41 (4.1%)
  • Unknown –107 (10.72%)

no, they do not, but they are factual, and, as reasonable adults, i think we could discuss what the whole story actually is, possibly research some stats that give some context and framework around that, and try to educate each other.

yes, i recognize some posters cannot be reasoned with, and hugo is the example i chose for a reason. he's a lightning rod akin to derka on the basketball board. for some reason, he can post the sky is blue and people tell him to fuck off to the cloak room. but if someone posts biased material, that's content about which to have discussion. we are all mostly professionals with limited time, and we cannot always find the full story around some statistics. 

what blacklab is after, is this being a fucking message board where people can have discussions without running to partisan politics. 

for the record, you make a valid point, and i take it as such. thanks for that.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

no, they do not, but they are factual, and, as reasonable adults, i think we could discuss what the whole story actually is, possibly research some stats that give some context and framework around that, and try to educate each other.

yes, i recognize some posters cannot be reasoned with, and hugo is the example i chose for a reason. he's a lightning rod akin to derka on the basketball board. for some reason, he can post the sky is blue and people tell him to fuck off to the cloak room. but if someone posts biased material, that's content about which to have discussion. we are all mostly professionals with limited time, and we cannot always find the full story around some statistics. 

what blacklab is after, is this being a fucking message board where people can have discussions without running to partisan politics. 

for the record, you make a valid point, and i take it as such. thanks for that.

Reputations matter.  Online.  In life.  Case in point.  To the OP, politics are fine, as long as they can stay semi-objective and devolve into cunty partisanship, ala the CR.  That's the hard part of moderating, separating out those that seem to want to have a dialogue from those that are just an talking-point-spouting ideologue.....

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo
33 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Except this one's full of middle-aged semi-fat functioning alcoholics

I'll go with near-middle-aged, near-semi-fat, and highly functioning alcoholic.  

Get your fucking labels together man  

38 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Drive by dropping a tweet with not commentary, interpretation, or discussion accomplishes none of those things. 

He's trolling hayden.  You know exactly what it is. 

ETA: Just my opinion, and I am probably in the minority on this.  There is a lot of useful information shared via embedded tweets, especially video content and sports content that is not easily linked via another method.  The vast majority (esp in the CR) however, are tweets pushing an interpretation of an article or another piece of primary source material. Often time those interpretations are incomplete and/or misleading and/or downright lunatic nonsense. Often times they simply serve as a vehicle for somebody to express a point of view that they don't care the invest enough time to formulate for themselves. Other times its just a trolling data dump with no context or discussion.

Disable the tweet function on some of the sub forums (looking at the CR in particular).  There are some posters here who do almost nothing but retweet this forum with their feed. If you see an article that you want to discuss, link it. Share your thoughts and interpretation?  Point out what you find interesting and what you agree and disagree with. Don't outsource your ability to read, interpret, and communicate your thoughts to fucking twitter. I mean, at a fucking minimum discuss the twat. This is a discussion board. Drive by tweet reposting does not accomplish any of the objectives you mention above.  It in facts stifles it.  

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Drive by dropping a tweet with not commentary, interpretation, or discussion accomplishes none of those things. 

i take your point, but people post like that all the time on DT. people source breitbart or zerohedge. 

but i guess my point is that people can't control hugo, but they can control how they react to his posts. i always took this stance with derka, notoriously unpopular at the time.

let's take the premise that hugo is a troll; trolls are made by the reactions they elicit. when hugo posts a tweet that had the month on month covid deaths or cases, there were always multiple posters who had to quote him and comment. since i'm a moderator, i refuse to have any one on ignore, but i find it pretty easy to scroll past things and not engage. i didn't always have that discipline, but now i find it easy.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Reputations matter.  Online.  In life.  Case in point.  To the OP, politics are fine, as long as they can stay semi-objective and devolve into cunty partisanship, ala the CR.  That's the hard part of moderating, separating out those that seem to want to have a dialogue from those that are just an talking-point-spouting ideologue.....

Do you think you have a reputation of political / social beliefs? While not everything you post is political by any means, I don't think anyone would have to try real hard to figure out where you stand on a given issue. Similarly, if BurntEyes posts something about gun, given his passionate and out-spoken beliefs on 2A, is that immediate dismissal into CR?

I don't think it should be, for either of you. Reputations do matter, but content should matter more.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

i take your point, but people post like that all the time on DT. people source breitbart or zerohedge. 

I edited that post before your got your response in, but I think that the aspects I expanded on apply regardless of the source.  This is a discussion board, not a retweet platform. 

19 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

ETA: Just my opinion, and I am probably in the minority on this.  There is a lot of useful information shared via embedded tweets, especially video content and sports content that is not easily linked via another method.  The vast majority (esp in the CR) however, are tweets pushing an interpretation of an article or another piece of primary source material. Often time those interpretations are incomplete and/or misleading and/or downright lunatic nonsense. Often times they simply serve as a vehicle for somebody to express a point of view that they don't care the invest enough time to formulate for themselves. Other times its just a trolling data dump with no context or discussion.

Disable the tweet function on some of the sub forums (looking at the CR in particular).  There are some posters here who do almost nothing but retweet this forum with their feed. If you see an article that you want to discuss, link it. Share your thoughts and interpretation?  Point out what you find interesting and what you agree and disagree with. Don't outsource your ability to read, interpret, and communicate your thoughts to fucking twitter. I mean, at a fucking minimum discuss the twat. This is a discussion board. Drive by tweet reposting does not accomplish any of the objectives you mention above.  It in facts stifles it.  

100% agree with you on the edit. Dropping a link to an article without saying what is important or why it should be read or linking a video / tweet with no context is really irritating.

• Like 2

Some good points Antastasis, 

I know I hate when a post is reported and it's just a tweet. Sometimes it's accompanied by a note like "retweeting racist scumbag" or "retweeting atifa mouthpiece". I don't have fucking time to look up a twitter account and make the determination on who the person is and what their agenda is.

The other thing I hate is the drive by machine gun posting of tweets. I sent a pm to John Lawrance to knock it off, but I don't rather not set a rule about it. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Drive by tweet reposting does not accomplish any of the objectives you mention above.  It in facts stifles it.  

This post would have been much better with a gif.

6 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Some good points Antastasis, 

I know I hate when a post is reported and it's just a tweet. Sometimes it's accompanied by a note like "retweeting racist scumbag" or "retweeting atifa mouthpiece". I don't have fucking time to look up a twitter account and make the determination on who the person is and what their agenda is.

The other thing I hate is the drive by machine gun posting of tweets. I sent a pm to John Lawrance to knock it off, but I don't rather not set a rule about it. 

What's your opinion on hurtful golf commentary?

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

so what happens when hugo posts a tweet in the covid thread showing month-on-month data for covid deaths/cases and there are several posts telling him to fuck off back to cloak room? that's just as big a part of the problem

That's so much bullshit

15 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Actually this is a board where blacklab gets his news headlines

A fair of mine originate here as well.  It would be helpful if rather than tweets that just point to a paywall, people linked headlines and full text (under spoilers when appropriate) when possible.  And some discussion of the content and their commentary. 

But it takes less time to retweet a twat, so that is what predominates. And then you mix in the whole universe of twitter right out nonsense, and it gets laundered for embedding here. 

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

A fair of mine originate here as well.  It would be helpful if rather than tweets that just point to a paywall, people linked headlines and full text (under spoilers when appropriate) when possible.  And some discussion of the content and their commentary. 

But it takes less time to retweet a twat, so that is what predominates. And then you mix in the whole universe of twitter right out nonsense, and it gets laundered for embedding here. 

what if its just nudes?

17 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

This post would have been much better with a gif.

Gifs are a work of art, communicating emotions and reactions in a more concise format, if not those reactions that sometimes fail the written word.

Plus lots of them are funny as shit. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

• White –456 (45.69%)
  • Black –229 (22.95%)
  • Hispanic –165 (16.5%)
  • Other –41 (4.1%)
  • Unknown –107 (10.72%)

Everything everyone posts is political if you want to look at it that way.  You get upset with Hugo posting a statistic because you think he has an agenda that conflicts with your agenda.  Someone else gets upset with an open it up cases down post because it doesn’t fit with their viewpoint.  Nobody can win. Facts are facts, whether we like them or not.  I think the only thing we can do is determine what is factual and what isn’t and call out anyone who posts unsubstantiated bullshit.  You may have some preconceived problem with Hugo posting a daily count.  How is that different than the dude who posts regular Travis County updates or someone posting other stats?  It’s not. You just don’t like it.  Well, too fucking bad.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Everything everyone posts is political if you want to look at it that way.  You get upset with Hugo posting a statistic because you think he has an agenda that conflicts with your agenda.  Someone else gets upset with an open it up cases down post because it doesn’t fit with their viewpoint.  Nobody can win. Facts are facts, whether we like them or not.  I think the only thing we can do is determine what is factual and what isn’t and call out anyone who posts unsubstantiated bullshit.  You may have some preconceived problem with Hugo posting a daily count.  How is that different than the dude who posts regular Travis County updates or someone posting other stats?  It’s not. You just don’t like it.  Well, too fucking bad.  

87% of the respondents disagree with you

Put a voting mechanism on each thread in DailyTexan, and if it gets enough "Cloak Room" votes, auto-move it there.

Also maybe for users who have a certain percentage (or number of posts) in the CR, maybe allow us to have a button to auto-mute them.