Thujone: A Man of Many Talents

luke duke

Thanks for posting. I've gone off about that stupid blue line flag as an abomination in many different ways, first and foremost the outright and shameless appropriation of the American flag to make a political statement. Was time to break out the oil paints and do some protest art.
That is an incredibly powerful image. FANTASTIC work.

52 minutes ago, Thujone said:

Thanks for posting. I've gone off about that stupid blue line flag as an abomination in many different ways, first and foremost the outright and shameless appropriation of the American flag to make a political statement. Was time to break out the oil paints and do some protest art.

Man...at first look, I didn’t see the blue line. After second glance...WOW. That’s one hell off a statement. 

1 hour ago, Thujone said:

Same, I can't believe that people fall for the thin blue libe B.S.  I call it the flag of Tyranny

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

If you can. A father and husband, former Captain and role model whose name should be celebrated and honored and never forgotten. 

A real American hero

49966304442_8c66f8f8d9_z.jpg

That shit was pretty terrible.  Trying to protect his friends business and shot by looters. 

7 hours ago, Thujone said:

Powerful image, please balance it out with another one of cops eating dicks for us less highbrow, arty folk....

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Thujone said:

I am admittedly an overzealous American  flag waver. I have never had one of the blue line flags or derivative stickers.

If the Shag/ Surly has changed my mind/ influenced my thoughts on any subject,  it has been police brutality/ inequality with regard to 'justice.'

Your art packs a very profound 'punch to the gut' but it also honors George Floyd.  I wasn't expecting anything remotely like that when I clicked on the thread.  It was one of those "get ready for a good lau...ohh shit, that's heavy" moments.

One question: may we share it on social media?  I will not if you do not want it out there.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, bluto said:

Dig it. Is there some symbolism of the red under the blue line, or just for contrast/USA colors?

Is the thin blue line flag considered flag desecration?   It's been a few decades since I was in high school and spent like a week of JROTC learning about how to handle the flag and all, but it feels like flag desecration.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Is the thin blue line flag considered flag desecration?   It's been a few decades since I was in high school and spent like a week of JROTC learning about how to handle the flag and all, but it feels like flag desecration.

Not even by the letter of the law, I don't believe.

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(a)
The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
(b)
The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
(c)
The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
(d)
The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
(e)
The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
(f)
The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
(g)
The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
(h)
The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
(i)
The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
(j)
No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
(k)
The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

Notwithstanding the First Amendment, which would apply with its strongest force to Thujone's expression.

I never noticed before that the law is written in permissive language, e.g. "should" and "should not" instead of "shall" and "shall not."

Edited by TwiceHorn

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

(g)

The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

That's pretty loose though.  Just always bugged me that they thought they were special enough to deserve a different flag somehow.  Liked Thujone's take on it.

21 hours ago, bluto said:

Dig it. Is there some symbolism of the red under the blue line, or just for contrast/USA colors?

There's a pic out there of the thin blue line flag with the blue peeling off to reveal a red nazi flag. I'm guessing that's what this is too.

23 hours ago, Thujone said:

I think I hate that fucking flag even more than you do. Top notch work!

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

That's pretty loose though.  Just always bugged me that they thought they were special enough to deserve a different flag somehow.  Liked Thujone's take on it.

The way I read the statute, when it says "the flag," it means an actual flag, rather than a depiction of it.  And that says don't put extra shit on your flag.

Section (i) comes the closest to "optionally forbidding" art incorporating the flag.

And if thuj's is a desecration, so is the TBL flag.

On 6/2/2020 at 11:01 PM, Thujone said:

Powerful. Well done.

5 minutes ago, Thujone said:

Thank you. On Copyright, it originates the second art is created. It does not have to be filed with the copyright office. 

Outstanding work.  Very powerful.  I know you're a lawyer, but registering it will give you more/better options for enforcing your rights against copiers.

Mine is a painting of the descrated awful flag. I'm not doing a new depiction of the American flag through my own lens. I'm commenting on the thin blue line flag, which is awful.

You should send Trump a lifetime supply of J&J Baby Powder.

1 hour ago, Thujone said:

Mine is a painting of the descrated awful flag. I'm not doing a new depiction of the American flag through my own lens. I'm commenting on the thin blue line flag, which is awful.

I don't think it's a desecration, if that was in any way implied.  I think it's awesome, meaning, I am in awe of your combined talents.

4 hours ago, AgentZero said:

i read it as the thin blue line hides a lot of blood/violence

Like any good art, lots of interpretation. 

I always see the blue line flag as a symbol that police see themselves as above the nation they swore to protect. It's a deeply disturbing image to me. 

I see this painting as a representation of that. The true American flag obscured by the murderous mission of the police industry. 

• Like 1

Thank you. On Copyright, it originates the second art is created. It does not have to be filed with the copyright office. 

True, but registration is cheap and has a ton of advantages if you ever need to enforce the sucker. The biggest being statutory damages, attorney fees, and costs.

Being a writer and a litigator, I think, you probably know all this though. And don't want to detract from the main point though. Awesome work.

Curious if you are opposed to all appropriation of the US flag or just those antithetical to our values. You’ve clearly spent time thinking about it so I’m genuinely interested. I ask because I have several apparel items of the rainbow flag/US flag combination.

5 minutes ago, Thujone said:

I had not thought of the specific scenario you mention. So I'll try to think it out here.

Re: the rainbow flag. You can *find* rainbow/us flag combos, but most people who want to support LGBTQA use a flag that is original to the cause and does not appropriate the American flag.

That said: you can argue that two flags that do appropriate the US flag can have very different interpretations/consequences. For instance, the blue line flag has a context. It was created as a direct response to BLM and is a declaration of "I support the cops despite what happens to black Americans." It is a sign of allegiance/support for the group already in power, so to speak. The rainbow flag (if it truly is a facsimile of the US flag, which again, I have never seen in person, as opposed to the ubiquitous rainbow stripe flag) has an entirely different context. It is coming from an oppressed minority and doesn't have the effect of making a case for harming anyone else's rights. Like, at all. The Blue Line one is more akin to a battle flag. The argument is similar to those who shout All Lives Matter. One, no one ever suggested all lives don't matter. BLM is asking for people to recognize that black lives do, in fact, matter, when they are often treated as if they don't. We don't need to shout how all lives matter when they aren't being systemically murdered. If they were, we'd need to say they matter too. But they aren't. 

Similar deal here. So to answer your question, if someone appropriated the American flag to put rainbows on the bars, it wouldn't bother me because these are historically repressed groups. Flying that flag isn't going to push an agenda that hurts anyone. But flying the blue line flag does push such an agenda that is antithetical to American values. 

So again, I think like all of life, there are layers and nuance that are important to acknowledge. I would prefer the American flag remaining agnostic in times of conflict over values. Our differences all occur beneath that flag and should be worked out beneath that flag. To appropriate it is to factionalize which I don't think helps. So while I think certain appropriations of our flag clearly do more harm than others, I think the best approach is to leave the flag alone and fly one tailored to your cause. 

Look ......... this is all nice, and wordy, and all,  but I still don't see no cop dick eating pics....... dammit !!