Thujone: A Man of Many Talents

luke duke

22 hours ago, APMP said:

True, but registration is cheap and has a ton of advantages if you ever need to enforce the sucker. The biggest being statutory damages, attorney fees, and costs.

Being a writer and a litigator, I think, you probably know all this though. And don't want to detract from the main point though. Awesome work.

Counterpoint.  Statutory damages are barely worth the price of admission.  Attorneys fees could be worthwhile, but if you're ever at a point of having to enforce the copyright, I suspect that the injunction will be goal, or the damages will be sufficiently large that attorneys fees won't make or break the case.

Counterpoint.  Statutory damages are barely worth the price of admission.  Attorneys fees could be worthwhile, but if you're ever at a point of having to enforce the copyright, I suspect that the injunction will be goal, or the damages will be sufficiently large that attorneys fees won't make or break the case.

Well there's the whole presumed validity thing too, which hasn't been crushed like in the patent world. And maybe it's the patentee-focus in me talking, but I always thought the option of statutory damages was useful. Damages in copyright seem so difficult to prove (it's tricky in patent cases too, of course).