minor skills/talents you wish you had:

52-80

Drumming and guitar for sure.  I grew up with my dad's drum kit and guitar in the house.  I realized early on that I'm incapable of anything musically related.  I'd throw dancing into that category as well.  

Also auto / small engine repair.  I'm pretty mechanically inclined and decent at carpentry, welding, etc, but I've just never really had a knack for turning wrenches. 

Sharpening knives. I recently got a set of whetstones and have so far sharpened 4 of my knives with it. They're sharper than they were before I tried sharpening them, but still very far from the results of people who know what they're doing.

Sharpening knives. I recently got a set of whetstones and have so far sharpened 4 of my knives with it. They're sharper than they were before I tried sharpening them, but still very far from the results of people who know what they're doing.

I gave up and bought this. It works great.

c6b416ad4e91aa0d478e921a2b537c26.jpg
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo

^

I'm pretty good at that stuff actually, my FIL is a master electrician and has taught me a few things over the years.  But it got me thinking...

Plumbing.  I can clean a J-trap, but that's about it.  We've had myriad shower, sink, and toilet issues over the years and sadly, yeah---not proud to admit this, my wife has typically handled most of them over the years.  And quite successfully i might add.  Being a plumbing fuckup has probably cost me $1000+ over the years because I broke shit, we had to get new parts, or call a professional.  

Will also echo above, would like to know knots better.  Learned a lot in Boy Scouts, and then just plain forgot.  

Will also echo, painting.  I have crappy hand-eye coordination so painting has never come easily to me.  But I'd like to get into it, not for the end result, but because when I see people doing it---they seem so damn relaxed and at peace.  I really should get into Yoga.  

Simple computer shit like printing properly.  

I do most of my own handyman work around the house, but I really thought Shelter-in-Place would give me more time to get back into carpentry and woodworking.  I made a decent doghouse for my daughter's stuffed animal dogs last summer.  This quarantine, I had time but the new doghouse we made looks like something you'd see at Arts 'n Crafts Day at Stephen Hawking Summer Camp.  It sucked so bad, I just went and bought a large birdhouse from Michael's and carved out a larger door on it.  We pretend the little porch out front is for the dog's smaller pet dog.  

Basic bicycle maintenance.  I've just let me bike go over the years and now that I have time to ride during Covid-19, it's all fucked up now.

Flying kites.  Had some wonderful windy, sunny days earlier this Spring.  And I had the spare time.  And I had two kites.  But fuck me running, my daughter and I were just the weird people in the cul-de-sac just dragging sad kites behind us for 45 minutes at a time.  

Guest Lobo

^
I read that in Frank Rizzo's voice.  "Yeah, I'm good with the welding.  I seal that shit right up.  I don't fuck around tough guy!"  

Always keep an edge on your knife, Son
always keep an edge on your knife
'Cause a good sharp edge is a man's best
Hedge against the vague uncertainties of life
Yes, a good sharp edge is a man's best
Hedge against the uncertain vagaries of life
But I never could sharpen no knife, like the one who gave the advice
And I never could sharpen no blade, quite the way he sayed
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Also auto / small engine repair.  I'm pretty mechanically inclined and decent at carpentry, welding, etc, but I've just never really had a knack for turning wrenches. 

I am the opposite....electrical/mechinical I can take it apart and fix it.

But woodwork I just suck at I wish I could do simple things like build a raised garden bed but I end up buying a kit. 

I can do simple woodworking but I wish I could do more refined work. My uncle was a master, he built me a beautiful swing 20 years ago that I still have on the back porch. I keep looking at it wanting to try to replicate it but knowing I will probably just fuck it up.

Small engine repair/minor auto mechanical    Or shade tree mechanics stuff

Electrical work and Carpentry

Ability to dance to a song or two at a wedding or social event- just well enough to make my wife smile but not laugh hysterically

Tying knots and basic sailing 

Or maybe I just need a husband....

Edited by Reagan1k

9 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Fuck plumbing. I can weld shit that will never leak. I'm good at woodworking/building. But fuck plumbing. That shit it designed to leak and it pisses me off.

X2 on Plumbing those guys have kids to send to college too.  I'd rather take an ass whipping than fuck with a toilet.  If it ain't the kitchen sink call someone.  I'm about as a good whistler as King Julian.  I could use that skill.

• Like 1

Any ability for visual arts.  All my artistic and creative ability is with music (piano and guitar) and writing (mostly fiction).

I would love to be able to sketch, paint, or sculpt, and I'm more than a little jealous of those who can.

16 hours ago, Iceman said:

electrical work...without zapping my ass or burning shit up.  I'm lucky I still have all of my fingers.  LOL.

samesies.  i can pretend to be competent at carpentry but i cant diy repair electronics worth a shit

Paint and sketch.  I can see it in my mind, but it doesn't come through my fingers.

Cut, polish, and facet stones.  I mainly lack equipment and a place to do it, but the faceting would take some training.

Juggling.

Snapping the fingers on my left hand.  I can snap the fingers on my right hand like nobody's business.  Left hand - no go.  I have been trying for about 55 years, and just can't make it happen.  I hate the Addams Family theme song, just because of that.

On 6/3/2020 at 7:27 AM, DigglerontheHoof said:

Loud finger whistling

I excel @ that to the point where if I'm @ a Longhorn football game & we're getting as loud as possible, people all around me look @ me with the full on "WTF, dude?".

1 hour ago, ROFL BOX said:

I wish I had even minor skill @ playing ANY musical instrument.  I get great joy out of music but my ability to actually do anything reasonable has long since proven it wasn't gonna happen.

I took a guitar class way back in college.  After several classes and some instruction during office hours, the prof told me he didn't want to discourage me but it was likely that I would never play a chord, he'd pass me on pass/fail, and that I didn't have to come back unless I simply wanted to.  I think he was relived when I never stepped foot back in the building.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

I excel @ that to the point where if I'm @ a Longhorn football game & we're getting as loud as possible, people all around me look @ me with the full on "WTF, dude?".

must be from all the times you've hit your fingers with the hammer...

On 6/3/2020 at 8:27 PM, Bevo&Pevo said:

X2 on Plumbing those guys have kids to send to college too.  I'd rather take an ass whipping than fuck with a toilet.  If it ain't the kitchen sink call someone.  I'm about as a good whistler as King Julian.  I could use that skill.

I just take the easy way out and install new toilets. It ain’t that hard.

4 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Finding her G spot.

It seems to have migrated around from decade to decade.

Don’t worry Brat, I got the Mrs. covered 😉.

scheiss- if you want to juggle you can, it just takes a little practice 

for me it’s learning Spanish, I hesitate to learn more than the basics cause my sorry ass can’t roll my r’s.