1994 Colorado @ Michigan, ESPN 6pm Thursday

WBT

9 hours ago, hpslugga said:

I was 10 years old and saw this on a TV at Angelo's BBQ in Fort Worth just as Texas was about to go at it with TCU that night.

I was the same age. I was at some country ass party in the outskirts of West, TX with family. That game just happened to be on and I caught the final play indirectly. I remember being like "holy shit how far did he throw that ball" He released it and it just kept going. I have never seen any of that game besides that play to this day. I guess I never was curious enough to go back and watch it.

56 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

Yep

They’ve been in a slide since then.  I guess they had a couple of good teams with Barnett, but he was a mess.  McCartney seems to be the type of coach that players genuinely liked and played hard for.

8 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

They’ve been in a slide since then.  I guess they had a couple of good teams with Barnett, but he was a mess.  McCartney seems to be the type of coach that players genuinely liked and played hard for.

Hiring Neuheisel was a mistake.  Barnett was building a strong program and the administration hamstrung him after the bullshit accusations in 2001.  Recruiting went to shit and then it was one shitty hire after another.  I am still amazed that we had a really good team in 2016. 

It's somewhat strange as I'm the type who always remembers shit like this, but I can't remember where I was when this happened. Maybe I wasn't watching, or maybe I was in my dorm room? I must not have seen it live. I saw Flutie's Hail Mary live on TV as a boy and I can still picture that vividly. The Michigan-MSU punt snafu, likewise, I remember it precisely. James Brown to Derek Lewis, I can see every detail of that moment in my mind's eye. But I can't picture the Michigan Miracle. Must not have been watching.

On 6/3/2020 at 4:47 PM, Not a cat said:

I just remember it was about 110 the next week when they played us.  I was sweating balls and I was not yet a fat middle aged man.

Went to that game as a senior in high school, followed by seeing Aerosmith at Southpark Meadows, where we got a contact high and ended up at Denny's on Cesar Chavez. If I remember correctly we were politely asked to leave for repeatedly trying to get the other diners to participate in a Texas! Fight! chant. 

Salaam actually only scored one TD in that game. I think the other RB had three. I think Salaam was exhausted from running all over the Texas D by the time they got down near the goal line. 

It was cool to see Colorado in Austin the week after they were the talk of the sports world. 1990 and 1994 were both bitter home losses to the Buffs, both of which I saw live but they were about as entertaining as games can be. Except for the gut punch loss of course. Fuck CU.

5 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Don't worry fellas, Nebraska with a backup QB completely shuts them down later in the season.  They were as overhyped as an '83 Nebraska team /AUinHsv

Kordell and his arm lost that game.  Should have run Salaam and used the option.

I, too, recall watching that game and then seeing them play us at DKR the next week.  As an aside, I watched the last hour of this last night, just to get to the last play of the game.  And the fucking recording had a glitch that occurred right as Stewart was releasing the ball and it cut out until the nano second after Westbrook made the catch.  Frustrating AF. 

On 6/4/2020 at 11:49 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

It's somewhat strange as I'm the type who always remembers shit like this, but I can't remember where I was when this happened. Maybe I wasn't watching, or maybe I was in my dorm room? I must not have seen it live. I saw Flutie's Hail Mary live on TV as a boy and I can still picture that vividly. The Michigan-MSU punt snafu, likewise, I remember it precisely. James Brown to Derek Lewis, I can see every detail of that moment in my mind's eye. But I can't picture the Michigan Miracle. Must not have been watching.

Horns played TCU right after this game ended; I saw the Hail Mary from some bar in Ft Worth...

19 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Horns played TCU right after this game ended

And it was on pay per view, and my roommate and I dragged our TV to his girlfriend's (much bigger/nicer) place and had a watch party there. So I remember the day, but damn I cannot place where I was when I first saw the play.

I can't really remember first watching it either.  I think I watched the ending live but didn't see much of the game before that.  I just watched my recording from last night and this would have still been a really good game even without the hail mary.  Colorado got up 14-3 in the first half, then Michigan stormed back to go up 26-14 late in the 3rd before the Colorado comeback with 2 TDs in the last 3 minutes. 

I was surprised at the poor video quality.  Obviously it was standard def and 4:3 ratio but there were horizontal lines across the screen at several spots.  I would think ESPN would take better care of their own footage.

Some things I noticed:

• There were really good RBs in this game - Salaam, Wheatley playing his first game of the year after injury, and all-time name Tshimanga Bikabutuka
  • I miss huddles and QBs under center and bootlegs and play action with the QB under center
  • I didn't remember Colorado ran almost exclusively 2 TE, single back.  Kordell was deadly with the speed option out of this and also had a really nice TD pass in the first half where he faked speed option motion about halfway down the line then dropped back and hit Westbrook on the flag to the front corner of the end zone
  • For some reason Michigan went for 2 in the 2nd quarter down 14-9.  They had a false start and still went for 2 from the 8.  Collins threw a pick.  They went for 2 and got it on their next TD though so it didn't really matter.
  • It was no Emily's Reasons Why Not, but Keith did have a good network promo read for Crocodile Dundee II as the movie of the week and the season premier of The Commish.
  • The first half also ended on a hail mary from Kordell.  He didn't fully step into it and still threw it nearly 65 yards in the air, overthrowing all his receivers, and had it intercepted by Ty Law.  At the end of the game, they didn't make the mistake of getting too close so that Kordell wouldn't overthrow his receivers.
  • On the out of town scores, Kansas won 72-0 over UAB.
  • Michigan won the turnover battle 4-1 but it was a big 1.  The FB fumbled at the Colorado 15 on his first carry of the game early in the 4th quarter.
  • In the middle of the 4th, Colorado converted a 3rd and 21 when Kordell scrambled to his left almost to the sideline then threw a rope from his own 37 to the Michigan 20, back to the hash.  It looked like it barely got 12 feet high.  Damn he had an arm.  That drive ended when Kordell fumbled trying to dive for the goal line going in.
  • Bob Griese was obsessed with the fact that Colorado didn't play many games on grass and had lost their last 4.
  • Keith had a "going for the corner" call on one Kordell option run that sounded familiar.  He got pushed out at the 3 though.
  • Before their final punt, Michigan had 3rd and 2 but instead of just trying to run for it, they went with a hard count to try to get Colorado to jump but Michigan false started instead.
  • What a throw that hail mary was.  Unlike at the end of the 1st half, there was no pressure on him.  About 72 yards in the air and came down at the 1 yard line.  The tip pushed it into the end zone.
  • Like 1

Before the Michigan FS, they got an offsides, the hard count was to get another offsides, because they were going to run it. That's how it was in those days, got a lead, no more no more passing, never. Then the FS, 3rd and long, run it, punt, long pass, complete. Hailmary.  Don't find that type of conservative ball these days (Michigan) 

Edited by Dewey

Was between jobs working in a bookstore in Denver. Really bummed couldn't watch the game, obviously a big deal up there. 

Huge roar goes up from the back room of the store so we knew something big happened. Great play. 

Went out and blew our minimum wages thereafter. 

And Michigan. Man their ability to less with more is on par with Texas. Incredible how little they have gotten out of all that talent over the years. 

On 6/4/2020 at 11:49 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

Wife and I happened to be near Radio Shack in Westgate mall when the Flutie game was on, stopped to watch the ending along with a few others. 

On 6/5/2020 at 8:34 PM, WBT said:

I was surprised at the poor video quality.  Obviously it was standard def and 4:3 ratio but there were horizontal lines across the screen at several spots.  I would think ESPN would take better care of their own footage.

• On the out of town scores, Kansas won 72-0 over UAB.

I realize it's owned by ESPN now but I'd swear I watched it with rabbitears on ABC.  Reason being I know where I was that day.  Was at an outdoor venue/festival helping a friend who would custom paint t-shirts as you watched.  Made gobs of money and he split it with me 50/50 which I was floored by, he had all the talent, I was just the negotiator.  We had a TV in the back of the booth and I watched the majority of the game.

One of my favorite things is seeing the old scores from the day of the old game I'm watching.