Bye bye Luby's

10 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Ha Ha - No, Katy actually.  This same combo also on Slaughter lane?

Yeah, Fuddrucker's and Luby's in the same building, about the same timeframe too, they built it 5 or 6 years ago.  Back before the pandemic we ordered Grubhub from there a couple times just for old times sake.  

3 hours ago, deadshank said:

Went to the Picadilly in downtown WF and the one out at Sikes Center on many occasion with grandma and my mom.

I am Platinum Level Luby's guy and frequent the one at W. 34th and 290 as it is a hooded  8 iron from my warehouse.  Also the location on Post Oak Blvd.  Since the Pappas Bros. took a piece of the Luby's action I think the food improved quite a bit.  

Fight me.

#teamluby's

it did.  the olds complained that the fresh green beans were too hard to chew.  had to make batches with canned green beans just for them. 

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

Until Covid lockdown, I had lunch at Luby's in Beaumont every Friday with my dad and his buddies.  It was a standing lunch date for over 20 years, the last 10 of which I attended unless I was traveling.  We pushed 3 tables together over on the left by the window, same table all that time - averaged 8 attendees.

We didn't necessarily love the food, but it was a place where everyone could find something that they liked.  And I was on a first name basis with pretty much everyone who worked there.  Shout out to Ann, Miz D, Joyce, Sylvia and Ellis.  90% of the Fridays over the last decade I'd walk in and announce "well it looks like we all made it another week on the right side of the dirt!" and they'd reply "Happy Friday, (where's your dad? or Dad's already here, you're late)."

CSB - decades ago my grandfather was playing blackjack in Vegas with whoever was running Luby's when they went public.  They became friendly and my Grandad bought a lot of Lubys stock at or near IPO pricing, and held on to it forever.  I used Luby's stock proceeds to pay for my college education and my first new car.

You ever eat at Fertitta's finer foods on 11th? The year I went to Lamar, I worked at the old All Pro Audio on 11th, and Fertitta's was right across the street. We used to eat lunch there 3-4 times a week, and I probably gained 10 pounds despite being 19 years old and working in a garage with no AC. 

6 hours ago, dcbc said:

I'll eat the shit out of it if, through the will of others, I end up there.  But I never think of it.

Also, any love for Piccadilly Cafeteria in Memorial City Mall in the late 70s/early 80s?

There was a Piccadilly in downtown Austin in the late '60s or early '70s.  Only went once.  Rarely left the extended campus area then.

• Like 1

We ate there a lot when our kids were little -- was an easy place to get a kid-friendly meal quickly, while mom and dad got something they at least liked.  Problem was, we went so much that the kids drew the wrong lesson from it.

When my daughter was around 2, when my birthday came around, I came home from work, and she greeted me excitedly at the door -- "DADDY!  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  For your birthday, we're going to your FAVORITE restaurant!"  "Okay, honey -- and where's that?"  "LUBY'S!"  So that's where we went.  Because when your daughter wants to celebrate at Luby's, you celebrate at Luby's.

I mean, I may have celebrated by ordering an unhealthy meal -- like CFS, fried okra, and mac n cheese, with a slice of chocolate cream pie.

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We ate there a lot when our kids were little -- was an easy place to get a kid-friendly meal quickly, while mom and dad got something they at least liked.  Problem was, we went so much that the kids drew the wrong lesson from it.

When my daughter was around 2, when my birthday came around, I came home from work, and she greeted me excitedly at the door -- "DADDY!  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  For your birthday, we're going to your FAVORITE restaurant!"  "Okay, honey -- and where's that?"  "LUBY'S!"  So that's where we went.  Because when your daughter wants to celebrate at Luby's, you celebrate at Luby's.

I mean, I may have celebrated by ordering an unhealthy meal -- like CFS, fried okra, and mac n cheese, with a slice of chocolate cream pie.

But no beer. 

56 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

I did prefer Picadilly, though.  Better fried fish and better mashed potatoes and gravy.

When I was married to crazylady and we visited her hometown/stomping grounds of Texarkana/Dekalb/Bowie county she would take me to Bryce's cafeteria in Texarkana.  I'll be @markstanco has been there.  It was right around the corner from my former MIL's house and it seemed like the only place the family ever ate.

I have (well, had as of a few weeks ago) relatives in Arkansas that always stopped at Bryce's on the way to Dallas.

Also noticed that Highland Park Cafeteria, in Dallas, never actually in HP, and more recently in Casa Linda, is down for the count.  That place was SRO at lunch and dinner for like 30 years straight, maybe 50.  By most accounts it was head and shoulders above any of the chains.  My family never went because it was too crowded.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

You ever eat at Fertitta's finer foods on 11th? The year I went to Lamar, I worked at the old All Pro Audio on 11th, and Fertitta's was right across the street. We used to eat lunch there 3-4 times a week, and I probably gained 10 pounds despite being 19 years old and working in a garage with no AC. 

My family owned and ran Gibson's on 11th, and I was there every holiday/summer from 12-18 yrs old (child labor laws don't apply to family owned businesses). . .it was that, Hardees, the Monterrey House and of course the Pancho's over across college.  Now we have Carlito's across 4th st and Elena's just over the tracks. . .wasn't Fertita's in front of a trailer park? (edit- see below)I remember the old All Pro. . .we all got Kenwood head units and Kicker subs from there in high school.

Just remembered that when I lived in San Antonio I took the kids to the one on Blanco/1604 all the time.

fff.JPG

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Like 1

Anyone remember Jetton's on Richmond in the Greenway area in Houston. It closed in the early 80's or so. Instead of a single serving line it had stations spread around and you'd just hit what you wanted and settled up on your way to the dining room.

I'm thinking buffets in general may be history. No more salad bars at the steakhouse, etc. 

22 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

My family owned and ran Gibson's on 11th, and I was there every holiday/summer from 12-18 yrs old (child labor laws don't apply to family owned businesses). . .it was that, Hardees, the Monterrey House and of course the Pancho's over across college.  Now we have Carlito's across 4th st and Elena's just over the tracks. . .wasn't Fertita's in front of a trailer park? (edit- see below)I remember the old All Pro. . .we all got Kenwood head units and Kicker subs from there in high school.

Just remembered that when I lived in San Antonio I took the kids to the one on Blanco/1604 all the time.

fff.JPG

yea, All Pro was across 11th in the old Volkswagen dealership. 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah I’ll never forgive my late parents for taking our kids to Red Lobster a couple of times.  Because then every birthday after that we had to go to Red Lobster.  Thankfully now that they’re grown they appreciate Evangeline, Deckhands and Cypress Grill, so I haven’t had to go to Red Lobster in a few years.

2 minutes ago, Underdog said:

But those cheddar biscuits, though. 

Yeah I mean I ate those.  For a kid it was great, back then they had applesauce and the kids would stuff their faces with biscuits, applesauce and popcorn shrimp.  I just wasn’t a huge fan of the overpriced frozen adult fare.  But I do have good memories of being there at least.

3 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I did prefer Picadilly, though.  Better fried fish and better mashed potatoes and gravy.

When I was married to crazylady and we visited her hometown/stomping grounds of Texarkana/Dekalb/Bowie county she would take me to Bryce's cafeteria in Texarkana.  I'll be @markstanco has been there.  It was right around the corner from my former MIL's house and it seemed like the only place the family ever ate.

That place was legit. They closed a few years ago when the 2nd generation of the family decided it was too much work.  They were downtown by the Perot Theater and then went to an interstate frontage property.  We would get pies for Thanksgiving mainly, I ate there maybe once every 18 months. 

Old ladies would push around a cart with water, tea, coffee, etc on it.  I always called them the "more tea" lady.  Comes by your table and says "more tea?"

I wonder if I knew your ex crazy.  PM if you dont want to say, but curious on who it is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Well my daughter and I have a sad.  That was her favorite place to eat with me when her brother wasn't around.  They also had the only mac and cheese that I liked.  I wonder if the frozen stuff will still be available at HEB.

it still is, but the frozen fish that used to be in the case right next to it is gone.  the fish and mac and cheese made for a nice meal.

lubys is an American classic. hate to see it go. my eyes are getting big just picturing that row of hot deliciousness and all the attendants waiting behind them to help you,  and how you were going to possibly choose from all that goodness.

2 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

it still is, but the frozen fish that used to be in the case right next to it is gone.  the fish and mac and cheese made for a nice meal.

lubys is an American classic. hate to see it go. my eyes are getting big just picturing that row of hot deliciousness and all the attendants waiting behind them to help you,  and how you were going to possibly choose from all that goodness.

.....and wondering who the fuck ordered any of the 16 different cold salads they had at the start of the line. That carrot and raisin shit looked like a bowl of pure disappointment.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Is Ryan’s still a thing?  In college I went to a Ryan’s once, the most bland tasteless food I’ve ever ate.  That shit was horrible.  

I know a story of a fellow who ate at a Ryan’s once.

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

.....and wondering who the fuck ordered any of the 16 different cold salads they had at the start of the line. That carrot and raisin shit looked like a bowl of pure disappointment.

My dad loves carrot and raisin salad for some reason.

31 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

they did have an unusually large assortment of salads.  carrot and raisin was definitely an odd choice.   I never heard of a cobb salad until luby's. 

When I was a kid we would drive the 40 miles from a small rural east Town to Tyler to shop and my mom always took us to Luby's. She loved that place and so did I. LuAnn with fried fish and mac and cheese. After moving to Austin in '71 I used to go to the one at Twin Oaks shopping center which is catty corner to the HEB at Oltorf and Congress.Yes, I go way back. Then the new one at Oltorf and 35 opened and we went there for years. 

Haven't been to a Luby's in almost a decade though. Good memories though.

Haven’t eaten there in years.  If I want a cafeteria which is maybe twice a year, I’ll hit up Cleburne’s.  

But I’ve probably eaten at Luby’s more than any restaurant.   Well maybe Los Tios.  We’d do Luby’s before church Wednesday evening — whole family.  And Los Tios after church on Sunday.  My entire childhood.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I know a story of a fellow who ate at a Ryan’s once.

My dad loves carrot and raisin salad for some reason.

I was a broke college kid and I left and went to Wendy’s across the street for a couple $1 burger it was so bad.

not sure if anyone else is from the east end of Houston, but there's still a cafeteria called Dinner Bell that's been around since I was a kid in the 70's.  Still a great place to go for pies.  not near as iconic as luby's.  luby's is the gold standard.   there was a picadilly in gulfgate, and probably in almeda too, but I was never much of a fan compared to luby's.

That place was legit. They closed a few years ago when the 2nd generation of the family decided it was too much work.  They were downtown by the Perot Theater and then went to an interstate frontage property.  We would get pies for Thanksgiving mainly, I ate there maybe once every 18 months. 
Old ladies would push around a cart with water, tea, coffee, etc on it.  I always called them the "more tea" lady.  Comes by your table and says "more tea?"
I wonder if I knew your ex crazy.  PM if you dont want to say, but curious on who it is. 
PM sent.

I’ve gotten the potato salad few times but I think there was a minimum age of 70 for most of those.

Grew up eating at the Lubys in the old mall in Victoria. There was always a line way out the door on weekends. Then the new mall opened and it was Wyatts from then on.

9 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Ha, I lived across the street on Bent Tree for a few years, would hike over and get a couple  to go for me and my now wife.

I basically had a meal plan there for that year.  If memory serves, at that time a Luann platter was like $6 (circa 1996).  Probably got dinner there 3 nights a week as a single college student.  I had 3 roommates at those crappy apartments, and we would take turns picking up the food.  We liked the fact that we could make our own iced tea and not pay Luby’s $1 for their tea.

I still need my fried fish, fried okra and mashed potatoes with brown gravy. It’s probably the only restaurant meal still available that reminds me of my childhood. I hope the sale works out and they don’t change those items.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I basically had a meal plan there for that year.  If memory serves, at that time a Luann platter was like $6 (circa 1996).  Probably got dinner there 3 nights a week as a single college student.  I had 3 roommates at those crappy apartments, and we would take turns picking up the food.  We liked the fact that we could make our own iced tea and not pay Luby’s $1 for their tea.

I lived in those condos across the street from ‘89 to ‘93.  When we wanted to splurge we’d hit up Little Italy down the street.  Lady offered to sell me the 2 bedroom for $25k.  Of course I didn’t have the money at the time.  

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Man, my mom would order that back in the '70s.  I gave it a strong side eye.

But I haven't ever ordered much differently than I did then.  Red Jello, Fried fish with tartar suace, mac & cheese, green beans, roll, unsweet tea.

/jello was when I was a kid, but them squares look good.

//unsweet tea is a more recent addition, as are the green beans. 

Edited by dcbc

5 hours ago, Texas73 said:

When I was a kid we would drive the 40 miles from a small rural east Town to Tyler to shop and my mom always took us to Luby's. She loved that place and so did I. LuAnn with fried fish and mac and cheese. After moving to Austin in '71 I used to go to the one at Twin Oaks shopping center which is catty corner to the HEB at Oltorf and Congress.Yes, I go way back. Then the new one at Oltorf and 35 opened and we went there for years. 

Haven't been to a Luby's in almost a decade though. Good memories though.

So the last Luby's in Tyler (the one in Bergfeld) closed a year ago, and people lost their minds and talked about what a part of the town's history it was.  I didn't get it.  I'm from Houston.  So I'm a transplant.  But I was thinking, that place is a chain from my hometown..

9 minutes ago, dcbc said:

So the last Luby's in Tyler (the one in Bergfeld) closed a year ago, and people lost their minds and talked about what a part of the town's history it was.  I didn't get it.  I'm from Houston.  So I'm a transplant.  But I was thinking, that place is a chain from my hometown..

I’m pretty sure there was a Luby’s in Tyler before they were in Houston. It was one of the earlier places it expanded to (the first one was in San Antonio-it’s headquarters are in Houston, but it’s not “from” there).

Just now, formermav43 said:

I’m pretty sure there was a Luby’s in Tyler before they were in Houston. It was one of the earlier places it expanded to (the first one was in San Antonio-it’s headquarters are in Houston, but it’s not “from” there).

I stand corrected.  But still a bit strange to me for the Tylerites to be attached to it like it was a local.  I mean I'm sorry it's gone, but the knock off in town, started by a former Luby's employee is pretty much the same thing, only nicer with a drive-thru.

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

It had probably been there 65-70 years.  I think that's enough for nostalgia to set in.

• Like 1