Bye bye Luby's

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I got no hate at all for Fudds.  The fucking cheese dispensers alone warrant some love. Use to hit up that one off 35 from time to time. 

Cheese sauce, load up on all the veggies/burger fixins you can stand.  It's good shit, found one in Jersey a few years ago and hit it up even though weren't particularly hungry at the time.  We couldn't pass up the opportunity for a Fudds burger. 

I hope there’s a place in the post COVID world for endless coffee, breakfast food at 10 pm, and pie at a counter top that isn’t a Denny’s/IHOP. 

Love me some Jim’s. They actually make a great burger, and a great chorizo breakfast taco, too.

And one late night quite a few years ago, the waitress working the counter gave me a free cup of coffee while I waited for them to make a fresh batch of biscuits; I was picking them up for my wife, who had asked for them, and who was being discharged from the hospital after a miscarriage. Propped my toddler daughter up on the counter, let her have a piece of toast with jelly, while I sipped on a cup of kindness that a waitress didn’t know I needed, but she somehow figured it out. Got a serious soft spot for Jim’s.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Love me some Jim’s. They actually make a great burger, and a great chorizo breakfast taco, too.

And one late night quite a few years ago, the waitress working the counter gave me a free cup of coffee while I waited for them to make a fresh batch of biscuits; I was picking them up for my wife, who had asked for them, and who was being discharged from the hospital after a miscarriage. Propped my toddler daughter up on the counter, let her have a piece of toast with jelly, while I sipped on a cup of kindness that a waitress didn’t know I needed, but she somehow figured it out. Got a serious soft spot for Jim’s.

I ate that burger 5 or 6 days a week in HS one summer. I bagged groceries at the Albertsons that used to be in Oak Hill and would walk over and grab one at the counter along with as many dr. Pepper’s as I could chug in an hour. They’d usually give me free pie too. 

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The patty melt is exceptional there.

On 6/4/2020 at 8:33 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

If we're shouting out cafeterias, Cleburne  Cafeteria on Bissonnet in Houston. Best cafeteria I've ever eaten at. Everything is good so you really can't go wrong, but I usually order one of the daily specials. Superb fried chicken. 

It burns down every decade or so too, and just comes back bigger.  Only cafeteria where my bill for a family of four exceeded $100.  Food's good, though.

7 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

It burns down every decade or so too, and just comes back bigger.  Only cafeteria where my bill for a family of four exceeded $100.  Food's good, though.

Cleburne’s is close to my office, and I can’t get any of my coworkers to eat there with me. I had to force people to go by choosing it for my birthday. Of course everyone liked it, but there’s a stigma around cafeteria food.

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2

Living in the east bay we have a few Fuddruckers. Hope they survive. Haven’t gone there in many years until recently. Found out that had a happy hour menu.
Not a great burger but consistently very good. It’s far easier to find a worse burger than it is to find a better burger in my area.

1 hour ago, Lhorn said:

Living in the east bay we have a few Fuddruckers. Hope they survive. Haven’t gone there in many years until recently. Found out that had a happy hour menu.
Not a great burger but consistently very good. It’s far easier to find a worse burger than it is to find a better burger in my area.

Hit up that Concord location a few times while living near Walnut Creek.  Takes me back.  

A few thoughts:

best standard dessert - lemon meringue pie. 

best unusual dessert that is never made anymore- chocolate eclair - to DIE for.  OMG.  The crew made these at every store opening.  I don't know when the crew died, but when that happened, part of Luby's died. 

When a store would open it was an honor to be asked to work the opening. After about two years working, I finally made the list.  More exciting to be able to work the first two weeks when the first team crew was still there, so I could eat an eclair.   

Best main entree done with left over food - Soft beef tacos with Tampico sauce - served in flour tortillas- Wow!  the tampico sauce itself is like candy to me.  

best standard veggie/starch when made correctly - mashed potatoes - US #1 potatoes, real butter, whole milk, potatoes drained completely before whipping, salt and pepper, no white pepper. 

best unusual veggie, and this one made a ton of money---Individual Italian eggplant.  Depending upon customers, should have been on the counter every day at most locations. 

Peel eggplant, slice it, soak in saltwater overnight, bread it, bake it, mozzarella or provolone cheese on top, put in pan on top of the Italian sauce made by the first cook.  Back in the oven one more time to melt the cheese.

• Like 1

My go to at Luby’s was the fried fish, mashed potatoes, black eyed peas (green beans as a sub), and a roll. Sometimes I would indulge in one of the many great desserts. That was my jam for all but maybe two or three trips to Luby’s. It’s why I went there as an adult. My grandparents used to take me there all the time when we were kids and we loved it. I remember finally being old enough to be trusted to carry my own tray. That was a big big day!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm surprised at all the men on this thread opting for LuAnn platter.  You're a man and obviously don't count calories since you're at Luby's.  Are you just a tightwad and are trying to save 2 bucks?  Get a full fucking entree, at least 3 sides, dessert, and at least one type of bread. Luby's is supposed to leave you hurting.

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I'm surprised at all the men on this thread opting for LuAnn platter.  You're a man and obviously don't count calories since you're at Luby's.  Are you just a tightwad and are trying to save 2 bucks?  Get a full fucking entree, at least 3 sides, dessert, and at least one type of bread. Luby's is supposed to leave you hurting.

I just do the regular combo plate -- full entree, two sides, sometimes the bread (I like the jalapeno cornbread, splashed with the Trappey's sport pepper vinegar sauce), and when I want it, a dessert.  But I don't have a raging sweet tooth, so that's not a regular thing.

When I was a kid, my parents had a rule about the sides -- I could get one unhealthy one (fried okra, mac n cheese, etc.) and one that had to be green.  That was regularly green beans, but I really like the cabbage, too.  Now that I'm an adult, and Luby's is a treat, I get whatever the fuck I want.

• 2 weeks later...

So You're Saying There is a Chance/gif

HOUSTON, Texas -- When Luby's announced a plan of "liquidation and dissolution," the cafeteria chain's long-term prospects for survival seemed pretty dim, but a faint flicker of hope remains. In a document filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, the company revealed it has entered into a confidential agreement with Luby's CEO Chris Pappas that could lead to his acquiring the company.

The document explicitly states that Pappas has only been granted access to financial information for the purpose of potentially making an offer for some portion of the company's assets. Pappas has not made an offer, and, even when he does, the company is not obligated to accept it. (The Houston Chronicle was first to report on the details of the SEC filing.)

Still, Pappas is one of the company's major shareholders, holding 18.43% of the company's shares. His brother, Harris Pappas, owns an additional 17.86% of the company's shares, per the filing. Their holdings include approximately one million shares owned by Pappas Restaurant, the Houston-based restaurant juggernaut they own together.

Whatever the future holds, 80 Luby's and Fuddruckers locations remain open. Diners who want these establishments to remain in business might want to consider patronizing them to demonstrate to Pappas and his brother than they're worth acquiring.

https://abc13.com/is-luby's-closed-future-of-popular-texas-diner-luann-platter-fuddruckers-out-business/6488551/

Maybe they can just provide consistent quality and management. I’ve always been amazed as just how good and consistent everything is across the Pappa’s brand. I’ve never been to a bad Pappadeaux or Pappasito’s. They are always great. Maybe they can provide some of that to Luby’s.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hate said:

Maybe they can just provide consistent quality and management. I’ve always been amazed as just how good and consistent everything is across the Pappa’s brand. I’ve never been to a bad Pappadeaux or Pappasito’s. They are always great. Maybe they can provide some of that to Luby’s.

I have never had anything bad from Luby's either.

And man I love Pappadeaux.

17 hours ago, Hate said:

Chris Pappas has been President and CEO of Luby’s since 2001. 

7 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Chris Pappas has been President and CEO of Luby’s since 2001. 

No knowledge,  but the Pappas brothers had conflicts with the Board of Directors.   May have been some effect on the operation/success of the company.   Thus,  they may not agree with the decision to liquidate.     Story from Aug '19.

Luby's on Tuesday announced a new chairman and two new directors to its board, eight months after winning a contentious proxy fight brought on by one of its investors who pushed for leadership changes amid lagging sales.

Gerald Bodzy was named chairman of the Houston-based restaurant chain, succeeding Gasper Mir, who will remain on the board as an independent director. John Morlock and Randolph Read were tapped as independent directors, replacing Judith Craven, who is retiring, and longtime leader Harris Pappas, who resigned from the board earlier this year. Harris Pappas' brother, Chris Pappas, remains chief executive.

The changes come eight months after Luby's prevailed in a proxy fight brought on by activist investor Bandera Partners. The New York-based hedge fund, which had been a Luby's shareholder for more than a decade, lobbied unsuccessfully to replace the Pappas brothers, Mir and board member Frank Markantonis with its own slate of candidates, including former Sen. Phil Gramm, the father of Jeff Gramm, a Bandera co-founder.

https://www.chron.com/business/retail/article/Months-after-proxy-fight-Luby-s-names-new-14366583.php