Bye bye Luby's

csb incoming. Growing up my best friend's dad was the GM for the Lubys in Hulen Mall in Ft. Worth. We used to go in there and feel like fucking kings. Everything free. Great memories. Probably have had everything there other than that nasty liver nonsense above. 

Edited by PassiveAggressiveCoach
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Did the Steck Luby’s stay open even though it was supposed to close? Drove by at lunch and there were cars in the parking lot.

It's slated to become an apartment complex.

Ardent Residential gets initial OK to transform a Luby's into apartments
A Luby's restaurant that's been located off North MoPac Expressway for decades is one step closer to becoming an apartment complex with affordable housing units.

Multifamily developer Ardent Residential LP plans to purchase a 2.38-acre property in North Austin from an entity tied to Houston-based Luby's Inc. (NYSE: LUB), which announced last year plans to liquidate. On Oct. 14, Austin City Council approved on first reading a rezoning request to MF-6, the highest-density multifamily zoning category, which will pave the way for a 275-unit development with roughly 28 affordable housing units.

The developer still needs an approval on the second and third readings of the zoning case before moving forward.

I don’t know how many times I ate at Luby’s as a kid. It was the spot for my family and a couple others to go after Sunday night church. I was partial to a fried chicken leg, Mac and cheese, green beans, red jello and cornbread. When the kids hit about 9 or 10 we got to move to a separate table so the grownups could have coffee in peace after supper. 

Hadn’t been there in ages and then one time I was home I ended up there with my kids and realized: yeah, Luby’s slaps. It’s got food everyone can eat, you get in and out with minimal bullshit, and you feel like you fed your kids a real meal because you did. In the rotation now each time I am back.

In Dallas, Highland Park Cafeteria was the SHIT. I saw that the Rona got them. 

On 6/18/2021 at 11:40 PM, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  I don't get any hate for Fuddruckers.  Have always liked it.  Especially when we had young kids.  We could go, and make them happy, and we could also get a damned good burger, and just relax for a bit.  It was a good meal, but also at someplace not so fancy that people looked at you funny if your kids made a racket.  And even after the kids got older, it wasn't so out of control that you couldn't just enjoy a good burger on your own.

Fuddruckers is good. Good quality meat, fresh patties, cooked well. I like that you can choose your toppings exactly how you like and there’s a good variety but nothing stupid.

Spent a lot of time in Corpus for youth and high school sports and actually liked their knockoff, Wallbangers, better than the original. 

Square fish with tartar sauce, Mac and cheese, spinach, yeast roll, and red jello.  Iced tea to drink refilled by the cart lady in SAS shoes.  Loved this meal once a week growing up at the Hester’s Crossing location in RR.  Just the best.

ETA—and the cream cheese jalapeño with the plastic sword through it.

If you didn’t take a plastic sword home you didn’t eat at Luby’s!

Edited by harold
  • Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, harold said:

Square fish with tartar sauce, Mac and cheese, spinach, yeast roll, and red jello.  Iced tea to drink refilled by the cart lady in SAS shoes.

They definitely lost something when they got rid of the tea carts.

2 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Since we're dreaming over here. I'll take a....

-Fruit Salad

-Fried Chicken (Thigh & Wing)

-Mac & Cheese

-Mashed Potatoes (Brown Gravy)

-Corn

-Roll (Dip in Potatoes & Mac)

-Cornbread

-Chocolate Pie

I could fast the all day for that.

Know what I like about Luby's?  The collective, world-peace element of it.  See, your order is NOT what I would order.....yet....it's a good order.  There is no "wrong order" at Luby's.  Fried chicken, fruit salad, and your sides?  Great.  Liver and onions, cornbread, and okra?  Great.  Rectangle of fish, green beans and mac?  Wonderful.

Peace through Luby's, man.  I may be on to something.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Y'all may think I'm crazy, but I like the baked white fish.  It's just a piece of fish slathered in mayo with some parsley.  With the tartar sauce it is delicious.  You might think about giving it a go.  I love that breaded and fried version, but this one has merit as well.  I like the green beans and cabbage to go with it.  Sometimes mushrooms.

https://www.food.com/recipe/lubys-cafeteria-baked-white-fish-111301

• Like 1

In the latter years it was cool how they would let you customize your salet. You could mix some iceburgh mix with some romaine and throw in some spinach leaves, black olive, whatever. First class. 

The old standard when full blown carboloading was the CFS they called breaded cutlet, Mac & chee, fried okra, and spicy, chunky cornbread with lots of butter. When going lower carb it was often the baked haddock almondine, buttered squash medley, green beans and the custom salet.

The fried chicken quarter was damn good, too. Even more from the earlier days when there more daily surprises to go with the regular staples.

I miss the hell out of Luby's.

• Hook 'Em 1

If we ever had to stay overnight with my grandparents, these were our dining options 95% of the time.  They all lived past 90, which is a little crazy given their choices.

breakfast: Denny’s

lunch: McDonalds

dinner: Luby’s

If you scored the winning goal or hit a home run dinner got upgraded to the Highland Park Cafeteria.  I mentioned it a few pages ago, but the Luby’s on Steck was my meal plan the year I lived in the apartments next door.  It was probably less than 100 ft. from my back door to the pickup area for to go orders.  It going away makes me sad.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

Green beans seem to be the common nexus. 

They are one of their superior "green veggie" offerings.  My favorite sides:

Green/healthier: green beans, sauteed cabbage, sauteed spinach, black eyed peas, stewed okra

Delicious, not healthy: mac n cheese, fried okra, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing 

Goddammit.  I really want Luby's now.

I had a buddy who went through the whole Luby's manager training a hundred years ago. He once told me that they always put the highest profit margin items up front because you're most likely to order the first thing you see.  Ever since then, whenever I walk into that motherfucker all I'm thinking is, "No way in hell I'm getting ripped off by that carrot and raisin salad."

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They are one of their superior "green veggie" offerings.  My favorite sides:

Green/healthier: green beans, sauteed cabbage, sauteed spinach, black eyed peas, stewed okra

Delicious, not healthy: mac n cheese, fried okra, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing 

Goddammit.  I really want Luby's now.

I wish I could make mac n cheese like that. I've tried. I can get pretty good and my smoked mac n cheese is pretty good but not the same.