Brennan Eagles taking a stand

TonyTexas

Cross-posting to add to this thread...

Glad he's speaking out because things need to change on racism... Seems like Eagles continuing his education and playing Texas football while keeping his open social media dialogue going would be a more powerful message for him than not playing.

Count me in the group that doesn't understand what the result is that he is looking for.

No matter what race you are, the vast majority of the people in the country have to have some sort of profession in order to survive. He happens to be good at one that could potentially pay him very well and allow him to take care of his family and provide a platform where people will listen to him and read his tweets.

If he quits football, he will still need to go have another job, football will still be played.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud him making a stand, I am just completely unclear as to what that stand is and what him quitting football will achieve.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I think having the courage of your convictions is beyond admirable. But I am curious what the endgame of “I’m not playing another snap with what’s going on in our society” is.

This is me. All for him using his platform and standing by his convictions, but is taking away your platform really the way to do it?  

• Like 1

I'm all for standing up for what you believe and using your voice.  No problem with him speaking out.  But, yeah, what is the goalpost here?  Things are not going to change substantially in any sort of short or medium time frame.  Does this mean he's done football?  If he's not going to play is he going to give up his scholarship?

Is he going to go take an English class to work on his grammar and spelling with his extra time?

Edited by TrashMaster G
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

A lot of pandering to black athletes

How many black people were killed by police in 2019? around 10 out of millions of interactions?  and, of that 5 were killed by black police officers.  

yeah, huge problem! smh.  Does that justify at least 6 deaths by protesters in just the past couple of weeks, including several police officers. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 35

1 minute ago, Soldierhorn said:

A lot of pandering to black athletes

How many black people were killed by police in 2019? around 10 out of millions of interactions?  and, of that 5 were killed by black police officers.  

yeah, huge problem! smh.  Does that justify at least 6 deaths by protesters in just the past couple of weeks, including several police officers. 

#BlackLivesMatter is really a movement about some black deaths matter. It is a grift.

A minority cop is much more likely to lose his live protecting another minority person from being killed by another minority person, than a minority is to lose their life due to an interaction with a bad cop.

When this occurs, #BlackLivesMatter is no where to be found. Minority business owners were called un American for wanting the right to open their businesses two weeks ago, now they are accused of being un American for not wanting those same businesses reduced to rubble.

• Like 9
  • Fuck You 1

While I definitely applaud young men engaging in the issues of the day, I bet he changes his mind on not playing when he realizes how much larger his platform is in the NFL.

Kaepernick wouldn't have had near the impact doing the same thing he did in SF at Nevada.

Just now, texifornia said:

While I definitely applaud young men engaging in the issues of the day, I bet he changes his mind on not playing when he realizes how much larger his platform is in the NFL.

Kaepernick wouldn't have had near the impact doing the same thing he did in SF at Nevada.

I'd imagine he's thinking this can't wait till then. This is the moment. 

Just now, texifornia said:

Yeah, I don’t get why people are acting like he’s quitting for good. It’s a week after George Floyd was murdered and the whole country is protesting. Eagles is a 20 year old black man who’s justifiably angry with the system, and he’s trying to use his platform to do something even if he’s not expressing what he wants done clearly.

Over time, his family, the coaching staff, Longhorns in the NFL, etc. will talk to him about how he needs to use his platform, not step down from it and harm himself and his career.  I’ll be really surprised if he’s not playing this fall. 

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

#BlackLivesMatter is really a movement about some black deaths matter. It is a grift.

A minority cop is much more likely to lose his live protecting another minority person from being killed by another minority person, than a minority is to lose their life due to an interaction with a bad cop.

When this occurs, #BlackLivesMatter is no where to be found. Minority business owners were called un American for wanting the right to open their businesses two weeks ago, now they are accused of being un American for not wanting those same businesses reduced to rubble.

agree... It sounds great and wonderfully politically correct to support BLM.  BLM has been taken over by terrorist, Marxist, and anarchist such as the black panthers. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 29

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, I don’t get why people are acting like he’s quitting for good. It’s a week after George Floyd was murdered and the whole country is protesting. Eagles is a 20 year old black man who’s justifiably angry with the system, and he’s trying to use his platform to do something even if he’s not expressing what he wants done clearly.

Over time, his family, the coaching staff, Longhorns in the NFL, etc. will talk to him about how he needs to use his platform, not step down from it and harm himself and his career.  I’ll be really surprised if he’s not playing this fall. 

If that is the case, then he is misguided and poorly indoctrinated.  While people can be bad and make mistakes, the "system" is NOT bad.  I heard on a dallas radio station the other day that two black police officers killed an unarmed WHITE guy; why doesnt that make all the news on main street media 24/7?  because it doesnt fit the narrative

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 23

Good; as much as I would be disappointed if athletes walked off this season these guys need to use what ever leverage they can to level the playing field both socially and economically.  As a poster above said, some things are just bigger.   

• Like 1

He's absolutely able to and should if he feels he needs to take a stand on whatever issues are important to him. He is right that a ton of people make a ton of money of his blood, sweat and tears. Others if they choose to be upset by his and other player's commentary can elect to no longer support the team. That is their right as well.

People may feel that athletes (much like children) should be seen and not heard.

I personally think that players should be empowered to speak as they see fit, they also should be aware of the impact that may have on their marketability in the new world order of athlete's being able to benefit from their likeness.

6 minutes ago, Soldierhorn said:

If that is the case, then he is misguided and poorly indoctrinated.  While people can be bad and make mistakes, the "system" is NOT bad.  I heard on a dallas radio station the other day that two black police officers killed an unarmed WHITE guy; why doesnt that make all the news on main street media 24/7?  because it doesnt fit the narrative

We get it; bad things happen to everyone.  I think Tom said it best, as a white guy (or in my case Mexican), if we make an illegal u-turn our biggest fear is the size of the ticket.  Brennan has much more to worry about.  

• Like 3

if he's not going to play football, is his enrollment going to retroactively have the same admissions standards that non-football players go through applied to it...? I don't know him, maybe he was a well-rounded ace student with good board scores coming out of high school. But he's a football player, so probably not. UT's a competitive school, not easy to get into.

I don't care if he plays or not. At this point I don't care if football comes back, because this is a fundamentally unserious country and you gotta him 'em where it hurts, so let's take sportsball away and see if that's enough to provoke some real change. The players refusing to play would certainly move us in that direction. 

I would guess the he feels that his "value" is his contribution to a successful UT football season. Literally millions of white people who have been silent on the issue, who are on the fence about the issue, or who are outright hostile toward the issue of police brutality and BLM have invested a substantial amount of money and emotional currency in the success of the University of Texas football program. And he feels that if people want to reap the rewards of that investment and enjoy a game whose players make up 80% of the team, then more people are going to need to do more work toward ensuring a more equitable and safe society for black people. But that's just how I would feel. This is his only leverage to effect change. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

This is his only leverage to effect change. 

it isn't hard to envision say six teammates joining Eagles, and then influencing or pressuring another dozen to join them, and if you get a quarter of a team saying "I refuse to play football this fall", that sort of makes the "playing games with COVID/social distancing" discussion moot. 

13 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

IS he walking away?

I don't know how people can read his statement and think he's coming back. One question I would have for folks is what happens to his scholarship? If you let him keep it then you'll have to deal with the fallout from other students. Take it away and it will destroy Texas recruiting. 

33 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

StrawMan2.jpg?6f8753

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Exploitation is definitely the feeling I get and he’s not wrong. 

This goes to what Tom said earlier this week:  you can't just love them and support them on Saturday and then write them off and disparage them Sunday-Friday - they deserve better. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I don't know how people can read his statement and think he's coming back. One question I would have for folks is what happens to his scholarship? If you let him keep it then you'll have to deal with the fallout from other students. Take it away and it will destroy Texas recruiting. 

He's a young guy in a very emotional national moment. There's a very clear path back to playing but making sure his voice is out there and heard, and even amplified, because of it.

3 minutes ago, Soldierhorn said:

I dont think so. It's an entitled athlete who wants people to tell him how wonderful he is for taking a politically correct stance. 

spacer.png

Dude, fuck off with your bullshit.  Or take it somewhere else. 

BuT bLaCkS kILlEd bY bLaCkS

Like you give a shit. 

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

This goes to what Tom said earlier this week:  you can't just love them and support them on Saturday and then write them off and disparage them Sunday-Friday - they deserve better. 

OK, but what does that look like in practice? This is one of the rhetorical bits I think we need to define as part of the Important Dialogue to which we've all been invited.